Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:13   #5941
Senior - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Anyone been to Mama Mia (OTF Competition in Sainikpuri)? Is it good? Do they have seating place?

One dinner this week is dedicated to Mama Mia......
Mama Mia is good.They have precisely 3 tables.You could call ahead around 10mins before and tell them what you want and they would keep it ready for you by the time you reach-in case you dont want to wait and you dont want to hear the owners' PR talkYou can download the menu from Zomato.

There is a also a good Kolkata Rolls guy open now further towards Defence Colony,opposite the Coffee Day Freshn n Ground.Thats very good as well.
Old 5th September 2013, 19:52   #5942
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
you dont want to hear the owners' PR talk
Thanks for the warning Ranjit. I think that really is a downside of that restuarant. Man, he talks so much. Actually he spoilt our dinner by so much shop talk. Everyone Beware !!!

Its a small place ( almost like a mulgi ( small shop) on roadside) and food comes in boxes from a kitchen next door. Looked weird

We ordered the following for 3 PAX at Mama Mia Italia

Garlic Bread (Rs.69)
MMI Spl Veg Pizza (Rs.229)
MMI Spl Chicken Pizza ( Rs.269)
Veg Pasta (Rs.90)
2 Chocolate Pannacotta (Rs 50 Each)

Garlic bread was full of garlic. Not too great

MMI Spl Veg Pizza 10" was the best pizza

MMI Spl Chicken10" was just OK

Veg Pasta was strictly OK

Pannacota was nice

Pizza is definetly nice and better than the Domino and Pizza Corner ones but, no comparison to OTF which is much superior purely for the fact that MMI Pizza base is soft and crumbles which i dont like. OTF Pizza is usually crisp and kadak

I wouldnt go all the way to eat there again. But, If am passing by would definetly stop and eat there

This the veg pizza that we all enjoyed a lot ( Garnished with everything possible)
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_00000807.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th September 2013 at 19:53.
Old 6th September 2013, 10:54   #5943
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for the back to back post.....

Insearch, my motorbike pal planned for a lunch meet and four of us met yesterday for lunch at " Coastal Spice". Self, Insearch, Hyd Traveller and Insearch's Colleague

Ambience wise the alacarte section is pretty nice but, buffet section opposite side is bit seedy and looks like food laid out in marriage function. We opted for alarte as buffet is not something I anyways enjoy.

Group was divided in two NV and two V. Me and Hyd Traveller being the NV of the group

We ordered the following for Veg :-

1. Dal Makhani
2. Capsicum Corn Curry
3. Mushroom in Tangy Sauce ( Snack)
4. Tandoori Rotis

I tasted the Mushrooms and it was pretty nice

Capsicum Corn Curry was average

The vegetarians enjoyed their fare.

We ordered the following for Non-Veg :-

Tawa Fish (Murrel) Fry

It was deep fried, crunchy and zero smell just how i like it. Really delicious.

Prawns Ghee Roast

This was deep red color thick gravy based medium sized prawns. This dish will bring tears to your eyes and was quite good. Went very well with Neer Dosa and Appams and also with white rice that we ordered in end

However, PGR was not to same level that I tasted in Panjim and Bangalore ( Coastal Spice). Both these places were much superior in taste of Prawns Ghee Roast where you can distinctly feel the taste of Ghee ( How you get that smell in Megacity Sambhar rice) which was glaringly missing in this dish. Overall, its a nice dish and will certainly go back and enjoy it again

Drinks were Fresh Lime Soda, Thumbs Up and Cold Coffee

Bill was a malnourished Rs.1200 which was 300 bucks apiece. Total VFM, dont you think?

I would like to go back again soon and try other dishes in their exotic and very large menu. You will enjoy it if you like spicy food cooked in red and green chillies to a large extent.

Here are some pictures taken with my blackberry without flash ( just to prove a point to folks BB doesnt take good pictures )
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_00000812.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_00000813.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_00000814.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_00000815.jpg  

Old 6th September 2013, 13:44   #5944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... This the veg pizza that we all enjoyed a lot ( Garnished with everything possible)
Yeow! That pizza is the the culinary equivalent of Gothic Heavy Metal in music. (No offense to the lot of people who enjoy Heavy Metal)

In 'Ghee Roast', the quality of Ghee matters a lot. Half the charm is the aroma of ghee. Aroma of ghee is enough to get anyone, who has been raised on plain rice with ghee/butter & salt in childhood, salivating like Pavlov's canine friends. It gets programmed into the sub-conscious mind. Commercial OTS ghee is a fast process ghee. If the cream isn't fermented long enough, the real aromatics go missing when ghee is made. That's why people who relish ghee don't buy from outside - they make it at home.
Old 6th September 2013, 16:37   #5945
BHPian

For the vegetarians: The Dal Makhani is quite authentic and we found it to be the better of the two veg dishes. I am happy to go back for the Dal alone. The coffee tasted more like a chocolate drink .
By the way, the other veg dish was Capsicum and paneer bhujia (not corn). It was quite low on spices and fresh.

We need to go back and try some more dishes as we were in a hurry and could not really sit back and enjoy the afternoon.

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th September 2013 at 16:50. Reason: edited out the wrongly quoted post....
Old 6th September 2013, 16:59   #5946
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Yeow! That pizza is the the culinary equivalent of Gothic Heavy Metal in music. (No offense to the lot of people who enjoy Heavy Metal).
Iam also not a fan of heavy metal except for a few bands like Whitesnake, Mettalica, Blacksabbath from the ocean of HM bands out there. So this Pizza despite being a culinary equivalent to that, was nice. Hope the analogy makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
In 'Ghee Roast', the quality of Ghee matters a lot. Half the charm is the aroma of ghee. Aroma of ghee is enough to get anyone, That's why people who relish ghee don't buy from outside - they make it at home.
Totally agree. The aroma of the ghee is the driving factor of converting a ghee titled dish from mediocre to superlative. But, lets not shove this dish into the grave, was pretty good actually ( minus the aroma, that is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearch View Post
By the way, the other veg dish was Capsicum and paneer bhujia (not corn). It was quite low on spices and fresh.

We need to go back and try some more dishes as we were in a hurry and could not really sit back and enjoy the afternoon.
My bad. I just tasted a spoonful and mistook the yellow mashed thing to be corn. Next time a little more liesurely lunch
Old 13th September 2013, 12:36   #5947
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to go out for dinner tonight as mom is back from US. She is fed up of eating conti food from last few months so she wants to eat a hearty indian meal.

Dont want to travel too far so what are my options in Secunderabad/Banjara Hills?

Khan Saab
Sholay
Reshmi

Any other that comes to your mind?
Old 13th September 2013, 14:25   #5948
BHPian

Quote:
Dont want to travel too far so what are my options in Secunderabad/Banjara Hills?
Hello Avi,Quite surprising to see a question from the FoodWiki
but will give my 2 cents !!
Exotica - Banjara Hills
Taj Krishna - Firdaus - We have been there recently for an office dinner and there were some really good Hydi dishes spread out.
Ohris Tansen or 1857 - Necklace Road - Nice ambience + food
Lastly one of my colleagues recently visited and suggested places Kholanis and the Tabla both placed at B'hills.
I am sure you might already have known them all. Have a good time !
Old 13th September 2013, 14:34   #5949
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Hello Avi,Quite surprising to see a question from the FoodWiki
but will give my 2 cents !!
Exotica - Banjara Hills
Taj Krishna - Firdaus - We have been there recently for an office dinner and there were some really good Hydi dishes spread out.
Ohris Tansen or 1857 - Necklace Road - Nice ambience + food
Lastly one of my colleagues recently visited and suggested places Kholanis and the Tabla both placed at B'hills.
I am sure you might already have known them all. Have a good time !
Haha, I dont know anymore than all you other food lovers dont.

Except Firdaus, I have been to all of them many times in the past.

Infact, spent most of early days at the first Kholani outlet at Boggulkunta near Pragati Idli. Extremely nice food they used to serve, its been ages that I visited them

Lets see where we will finally head this evening. Thanks for the inputs though
Old 17th September 2013, 14:54   #5950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
As discussed with few folks in Haleem meet last Saturday, address for the New Max Ice-cream is as below -

2) Nampally - G 1 Mukkaram Estate, Bazar Ghat Road, Nampally
http://www.zomato.com/hyderabad/new-...ly/menu#tabtop

Couldn't find the shop . The map may be incorrect.
Old 17th September 2013, 17:22   #5951
BHPian

After reading the reviews of Nikhil and mobike went to Coastal Spices for lunch today with couple of friends.

Had Paya Shorba @90/- excellent paya. Full of flavor with pepper and coriander.

Murrel tawa fry @ 250/- was very good and spicy.

Jhinga Tikka @ 235/- was decent.

Crab ghee roast @ 250/- was excellent.

Natukodi Pulao @ 235/- was decent. Would have preferred if there was more chicken pieces in it.

Neer Dosas - @ 10/- a piece were excellent.

We shared a fried ice cream which was good.

Overall a good dining experience. Lot of other items on menu to be tried. So next visit will be soon. Cost for 3 was Rs.1488.00

Pics:

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20130917_135852.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20130917_140002.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20130917_140750.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20130917_142305.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20130917_142312.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20130917_142328.jpg
Old 21st September 2013, 12:02   #5952
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening after maybe a year visited " Reshmi" at Secunderabad for dinner.

It felt really nice to go back and was pleasantly surprised to see the restuarant jampacked at 930pm

We ordered our most favorite dishes in Reshmi.

Veg Corn Cheese Balls (145)
Chicken Kalmi Kebab (175)
Veg Tikki Masala (150)
Dal Makhani
Gobi Paratha
Rotis
Kheema Biryani (150)

Firstly noticed they stopped giving their trademark vinegar dipped onions for reasons we all know

Taste of each and every dish was outstanding to say the least. My mom was mentioning this was a better experience in taste than Sholay

Prices of the dishes are so reasonable iam taken aback. Great thing they havent increased their pricing at all.

Imagine where do you get Kheema Biryani at that price which incidentally is one of their best dish ( maybe even the best from the places that I frequented till now). Served with rice on top and loads of kheema inside as you make your way down into the dish. It's simply bliss

Also, their Chicken Kalmi Kebab is too die for. Juicy, soft and succellent, i never fail to order this dish and never get disappointed.

Overall, the damages were Rs.900 for 3 people which is really VFM considering the service was also exceptional

Kalmi Kebab
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_00000957.jpg  

Old 22nd September 2013, 22:31   #5953
Team-BHP Support

Is Cafe Bahar a death trap.

Yesterday I had lunch at the Cafe Bahar in Begumpet. We were seated on the Third floor. The table was vibrating. We asked the servers why was it so.

They said that there was a power failure and the generator was running. Now this can only mean that the generator is either housed on the terrace or the second floor....
As with most diesel powered generators and the size of this building it will also have a large tank of diesel fuel.

Was there not a tragedy a couple of years back when a similar setup caught fire and killed people?

The popularity of this restaurant, the absence of fire escapes, flamable upholstery, the very narrow staircase, motorcycles parked in the cellar, no fire estinguishers visible.
I am afraid of going to this restaurant for food.

Also note that the parking for this restaurant is quite far away. The valets take you car and have to take it to the Kamat Lingapur road. The one beside Reliance Digital.

I refused to hand over my car and took the valet along as a passenger.
But to their credit I did find the valets driving very carefully.
Old 22nd September 2013, 23:06   #5954
Senior - BHPian

After watching Rush at PVR today, I wanted to much something along with an evening drink today. Spotted several chicken items being sold at Hyd Central's Food Bazaar on the ground floor.

Experimentally picked up a parcel of Chilly Chicken which cost Rs 115 for 250 grams. Both me and my wife found it yummylicious. The chicken was just melting in the mouth. And yes, it was a bit spicy, but that is why I bought 'chilly' chicken! I'd certainly go back for more.
Old 22nd September 2013, 23:11   #5955
BHPian

In Hyderabad, we don't really have many good vegetarian places - there's Chutneys and Jashn. Ohri's didn't seem very nice - it tasted like airline food (it's probably because they microwave-d the food when serving).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Now this can only mean that the generator is either housed on the terrace or the second floor. The popularity of this restaurant, the absence of fire escapes, flamable upholstery, the very narrow staircase, motorcycles parked in the cellar, no fire estinguishers visible.
Typically, generators are run in the cellar. With flames having a tendancy to go upward, a terrace-top generator seems like a better idea except that the winds blowing can cause it to burn more quickly. In India, fire escapes are unheard of and the windows are usually welded shut. Also, it seems restaurants aren't required to use fire extinguishers because I haven't seen any - fire extinguishers are further up the pyramid... we first need a food safety code to ensure that consuming the food doesn't cause dysentry-like symptoms.

Most Viewed