Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2013, 22:55   #6016
Team-BHP Support

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
:O Really? Scary. Wouldn't people be scared of actually getting the runs eating there?

The first time I had Muttabaq / Murtabaq was in KL in a food court on the top floor of a supermarket.
Its quite a popular joint in Adyar.
In fact it makes it to the first post of http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...t-chennai.html

Unfortunately the other hotel mentioned in that thread was broken down and replaced by some other shopping complex.

But agree its a funny name for a hotel. If I remember correctly this hotel was a breakaway from another hotel called Romus or something like that.

Last edited by bblost : 13th November 2013 at 00:35.
Old 13th November 2013, 08:45   #6017
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I like Aromas of China a lot.. in fact, I was pretty regular there when I used to stay at Banjara hills.
My personal favorite is Ming Court at Basheerbagh for being reasonable in cost, great ambience, superb quanity and excellent taste of almost every dish you order

However, AOC is undoubtedly the best chinese joint in town.

For sake of proximity, you can head over to Mainland China at Hitec City Cross Roads. I personally hate MC and feel they charge you a bomb for mediocre food. Try it out, maybe you will have a different experience

Autotranny, Muttabaq was more like a roti stuffed with minced chicken, they just cut the roti into many pieces. It doesnt feel like a sandwich from any angle
Old 13th November 2013, 12:26   #6018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Autotranny, Muttabaq was more like a roti stuffed with minced chicken, they just cut the roti into many pieces. It doesnt feel like a sandwich from any angle
I first had this dish around 4 years ago when I was doing my MBA. Our college was located in the middle of nowhere (infact between Mahabalipuram and Kalpakkam on the ECR) and the food in our canteen was pathetic. We used to scout the nearby places to satisfy our taste buds when we came across this restaurant named Selamat Jalan which was 3 kms on the right of the ECR before you reach Kalapakkam from Mahabs. The Murtabak there were awesome and we soon became regular customers. The guy initially had pictures of the item in the menu because locals there were not aware of what they were.

I had the same dish once again in one of the food courts at KL but I found the Selamat Jalan version much better since it was adapted to the Indian Palate.

Looks like this dish is famous across many nations. But a quick wiki reference pointed to the original ancestry to Yemen and KSA.

Last edited by racer_ash : 13th November 2013 at 12:32. Reason: added extra info
Old 13th November 2013, 20:21   #6019
BHPian

Query for today : Does Shadaab serve Beef ? I have not seen any Beef items in their Menu in the Banjara Hills take-away counter.

Though, I have been to the Old City shop a couple of times, it was as part of a Team Bhp Meet and hence I never got a chance to see the menu. The ordering was left to the experts.

My colleague told me that the best beef he has had in Hyderabad is in Shadaab. A review on Zomato also lists Beef Roast as a recommended dish at Shadaab.
Old 14th November 2013, 11:23   #6020
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday, went to Minverva Coffee Shop , Himayathnagar for lunch. The major disappointment was the MD which specifically ordered with less oil and crispy was just the opposite. Felt ridiculous paying Rs.75++ for that piece of oily mess.
Masala Dosa at Swathi Coffee Shop, Hyderguda is very good value for money. It is crispy with less oil. It is served with a couple of good chutneys and sambar. Price is around Rs. 55.00 if you have it at the restaurant and Rs. 35.00 at the self service section.
Old 14th November 2013, 14:11   #6021
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
I had the same dish once again in one of the food courts at KL but I found the Selamat Jalan version much better since it was adapted to the Indian Palate.
I too tasted the Egg Parota in both Malaysia and Singapore but, that is nowhere close to what this dish ( Muttabaq) is as its minced chicken stuffed into roti and garnished into the stuffing is coriander leaves etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
Query for today : Does Shadaab serve Beef ? I have not seen any Beef items in their Menu in the Banjara Hills take-away counter.
Good Question Ajay. As far as i know, they dont serve beef and never saw their menu list any of beef items

For Beef, you have that Alhamudhall ( something like that) to freak out on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Masala Dosa at Swathi Coffee Shop, Hyderguda is very good value for money. It is crispy with less oil. It is served with a couple of good chutneys and sambar. Price is around Rs. 55.00 if you have it at the restaurant and Rs. 35.00 at the self service section.
You seem to know an awful lot about Himayathnagar and surrounding area? Do you live close by? If yes, lets meet for a plate of Dosa

Been to SCS many times and we dine regularly at their basement restuarant which even though small has lovely ambience. I never carried away south indian tiffins from them but, had it at their place and its quite good

However, the most favorite take-away for us is " Akshay Tiffins" in lane bang opposite to Minerva Coffee Shop. They make almost everything very good and their pricing is half of MCS.

I particularly like the fruit salad sold buy a guy outside Akshay which is great dessert after a plate of dosa

But, our favorite dosa still remains Pragati ( Crisp, Non Oily and extremely flavourful) and despite demolishing one, you wont feel heavy unlike the other popular bandi places who load the dosa with unimaginable butter, ghee etc which i am not too fond of.
Old 14th November 2013, 15:25   #6022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
Ordering Punjabi dishes at an Udupi joint? What else did you expect?
Quote:
Agree with Andy here. Not sure why would you order North Indian curries at a South Indian Place?
Agreed. but the fact that a similar udipi joint like Nandini Cafe near the Hitech City serves good southindian tiffins and equally delicious Punjabi/North curries made me burn my hands at MCS.

BTW planning for a visit to OTF this weekend , any signature dishes recommended both Veg and Non Veg ?

Last edited by Pheonix : 14th November 2013 at 15:28.
Old 14th November 2013, 15:46   #6023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
udipi joint like Nandini Cafe near the Hitech City serves good southindian tiffins and equally delicious Punjabi/North curries
really??? Been to Nandini a few times but never dared to try northie stuff there. I like their dosa and coffee.
Old 14th November 2013, 16:30   #6024
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BTW planning for a visit to OTF this weekend , any signature dishes recommended both Veg and Non Veg ?
Been long and forgot the name of dishes. There was a time we got sick of going to OTF we went there so many times

Meet the owner Parag (Tall guy with specs) who is a friend of my cousin bro and ask him for signature dishes, he will guide you and just go by his recommendation. One of the best pizza in town for sure, their pasta and garlic bread is equally good

Their blueberry cheese cake is a signature dish but,at 150 bucks for just a mouthful is no way VFM.
Old 14th November 2013, 18:13   #6025
BHPian

Quote:
planning for a visit to OTF this weekend , any signature dishes recommended both Veg and Non Veg ?
Apart from the Pizzas, some of the regular features for the TBHP meets used to be the Thyme Scented Chicken, Mutton Skewers, Basil Grilled Chicken etc. They were all extremely VFM at around Rs 75 - 90 at that time. However I think the prices were then increased to around Rs 130-150. Kind of small portions for that price. The pastas are pretty VFM even now compared to other Italian restaurants.

However the biggest downside is that OTF has now become a hit or miss experience. Good on somedays, very slow service on most days, many items on the menu unavailable, so on and so forth. It has lost the small place, good food charm that once attracted all of us.

Hope you will write a review of your experience there.
Old 14th November 2013, 18:23   #6026
Team-BHP Support

Otf was quite good but nowadays I prefer Ziti comfort food in Banjara hills.

A little expensive but very tasty and good service as well.
I especially like the kids menu concept with the mac & cheese.

I also enjoyed the pulled lamb burger.
Old 15th November 2013, 13:00   #6027
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
Apart from the Pizzas, some of the regular features for the TBHP meets used to be the Thyme Scented Chicken, Mutton Skewers, Basil Grilled Chicken etc. They were all extremely VFM at around Rs 75 - 90 at that time. However I think the prices were then increased to around Rs 130-150. Kind of small portions for that price. The pastas are pretty VFM even now compared to other Italian restaurants
YaYa, Thanks for highlighting the names of the dishes. It has now come flashing back.

Thyme scented chicken is superb and never tried the mutton skewers. Basil chicken is also very nice but, like you rightly said the portions are damn small and with increase in rates the price for starters and dessert is not VFM anymore

If the quality still is good and pricing hasnt changed in recent past then only their pizzas are worth the dough.

Phoenix, do let us know your detailed review after you visit 'em?

While I wait for your review on OTF, I am heading out to Pizza Hut at SD Road tonight to chomp on some pizzas
Old 15th November 2013, 16:04   #6028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I am heading out to Pizza Hut at SD Road tonight to chomp on some pizzas
WHY? Why the sudden drastic drop in standards that you have to go to this ... this ... infra dig?
Old 15th November 2013, 16:26   #6029
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
WHY? Why the sudden drastic drop in standards that you have to go to this ... this ... infra dig?
LOL DA Saab, Nothing of that sort. My mom happens to love Pizza Hut and she slides in this request atleast once in a few weeks of going to PH.

She absolutely hates Dominoes and Pizza Corner.

OTF is pretty far from home and is not always conducive to go there for dinner.

You know so in the end. It's whatever SHE says
Old 17th November 2013, 10:11   #6030
HPP
BHPian

Quote:
My personal favorite is Ming Court at Basheerbagh for being reasonable in cost, great ambience, superb quanity and excellent taste of almost every dish you order

However, AOC is undoubtedly the best chinese joint in town.

For sake of proximity, you can head over to Mainland China at Hitec City Cross Roads. I personally hate MC and feel they charge you a bomb for mediocre food. Try it out, maybe you will have a different experience
^^^ These are my thoughts exactly.

Haven't been back to this thread for a while, but am supposed to be there(HYD) in a month if all goes well and I am getting hungry.

Most Viewed