Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2014, 16:14   #6166
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedderTheFixer View Post
Dude we are going to this place called 'Matam Al Arabi' at Barkhas tonight, i am told the Mutton served here is out of this world. Will check it out and elaborate on the menu later.
Mataam Al Arabi or Mataam Al Jabri or likes are all the same places, which sell Khabsa/Mandi. Heard negative reviews about Mataam Al Arabi in the past few days. Heard, they were serving Beef instead of Mutton. These things tick me off and I would never ever visit them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Never heard of this place. Please share a review and some pics if possible of this place.
Are you sure, you wanna see some pics of these places. Yum Yum Tree looks far more sophisticated and neater compared to Mataam Al Arabi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
Yes review of this place would help.
Never heard great reviews of Mataam Al Arabi and the final nail in the coffin was the confirmation by fellow foodie about Beef being used instead of Mutton. This being after charging the customer stating Mutton Mandi. At 500/- or 550/- per plate of Mandi, I would not expect him to serve me Beef.

Quote:
We usually land up at yum yum tree in barkhas area for their bbq chicken rolls and the mutton mandi.
The Burgers at Yum Yum Tree are to die for and those are the sole reason, why I end up visiting them at the drop of a hat. Time to visit YYT again for a lip smacking round of Burgers.

Quote:
barkhas
Barkhas nahi, Barkas
Old 1st April 2014, 16:55   #6167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
The Burgers at Yum Yum Tree are to die for and those are the sole reason, why I end up visiting them at the drop of a hat. Time to visit YYT again for a lip smacking round of Burgers
I dont mind a revisit only for Burgers. The ones that we missed last time.

Will give Mandi a miss but, yeah dont mind gobbling down a couple of burgers for dinner

When shall we do it?
Old 1st April 2014, 18:17   #6168
BHPian

Quote:
Yes review of this place would help.

We usually land up at yum yum tree in barkhas area for their bbq chicken rolls and the mutton mandi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s@tan2s@int View Post
Did this lunch meet happen as planned ? If not, will be glad to join if planned for anytime this week..

Jack..Never heard of this place. How was the experience ? please share your review.
Ok so its a proper traditional setup. You are served a platter of rice and meat, 2 rounds of which should be okay for 3 big eaters. Thing is there are no chairs and tables but the platters are placed on low stools and you sit on the floor.

Coming to the food:

The rice in itself is not spiced at all, quite bland actually. It's rather plain long grain safforn rice. What it comes with however, is the real deal . You get 4-5 large chunks of mutton and the meat is just divine. Cooked real soft and i mean in a way i have never tasted mutton before. They do serve you tomato chutney to spice things up. Such a 'special' mutton platter would cost you 450 and if you want fried fish you'd have to cough up an additional 200 bucks per fish which again is totally worth it.

The fish is an entire fillet of 'Tilapia', extremely soft and with no spines at all. It's fried in egg batter and i served piping hot and crisp and for me, is as good as the mutton.

It's totally worth the occasional visit in my opinion provided you're okay with sitting on the floor in a very crowded hall, walking through crowds of seated people to get to your seat etc etc and then there is the waiting. You won't be allowed to wear your shoes as well so you might want to skip expensive footwear.

Location - It is probably about 5 km ahead of Shah Ghouse at Shalibanda. Pass it on your right and drive ahead, you should pass the CRPF Barracks on your right again, so that is a landmark. Keep going and once you pass the first petrol bunk, look for the place on your left. Pull into the lane next to it for that leads you to the parking lot.
Old 2nd April 2014, 15:33   #6169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedderTheFixer View Post
Ok so its a proper traditional setup. Thing is there are no chairs and tables but the platters are placed on low stools and you sit on the floor.

Coming to the food:

The rice in itself is not spiced at all, quite bland actually. It's rather plain long grain safforn rice. What it comes with however, is the real deal . You get 4-5 large chunks of mutton and the meat is just divine. Cooked real soft and i mean in a way i have never tasted mutton before.

It's totally worth the occasional visit in my opinion provided you're okay with sitting on the floor in a very crowded hall, walking through crowds of seated people to get to your seat etc etc and then there is the waiting. You won't be allowed to wear your shoes as well so you might want to skip expensive footwear.

Location - It is probably about 5 km ahead of Shah Ghouse at Shalibanda. Pass it on your right and drive ahead, you should pass the CRPF Barracks on your right again, so that is a landmark. Keep going and once you pass the first petrol bunk, look for the place on your left. Pull into the lane next to it for that leads you to the parking lot.

Going by the description of this place, think I will give it a pass. Are u sure it was mutton and not beef ?

The fish preparation does sound yummy, parcel milta kya ?
Old 2nd April 2014, 19:16   #6170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Traveloholic and 3 of us had lunch today at Eat 3.

While eating lunch, we discussed having a lunch meet day after tomorrow again and are thinking of 10Hills in Jubilee Hills.
Quote:
Did this lunch meet happen as planned ? If not, will be glad to join if planned for anytime this week.
Yes, the lunch meet happened as planned.

It was me, Xydon, Srimath & EcoSport_Rules who met up. Traveloholic dropped out last minute.

TenHill has excellent ambience, excellent service, nice polite hardworking staff, ample parking, very reasonably priced dishes with decent serving but very very average food.

I may eat there if I am in the neighbourhood and do not feel like eating at other fancy big bill restaurants (Bombay Duck, Truffles, Via Milano) but I would never go there just for the food.
Old 2nd April 2014, 20:00   #6171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Mataam Al Arabi or Mataam Al Jabri or likes are all the same places, which sell Khabsa/Mandi. Heard negative reviews about Mataam Al Arabi in the past few days. Heard, they were serving Beef instead of Mutton. These things tick me off and I would never ever visit them.

Are you sure, you wanna see some pics of these places. Yum Yum Tree looks far more sophisticated and neater compared to Mataam Al Arabi.

Never heard great reviews of Mataam Al Arabi and the final nail in the coffin was the confirmation by fellow foodie about Beef being used instead of Mutton. This being after charging the customer stating Mutton Mandi. At 500/- or 550/- per plate of Mandi, I would not expect him to serve me Beef.

The Burgers at Yum Yum Tree are to die for and those are the sole reason, why I end up visiting them at the drop of a hat. Time to visit YYT again for a lip smacking round of Burgers.

Barkhas nahi, Barkas
Quote:
Going by the description of this place, think I will give it a pass. Are u sure it was mutton and not beef ?

The fish preparation does sound yummy, parcel milta kya ?
Oh yes, definitely Mutton. Endorsed by Mahiar himself . There's not the slightest doubt about the meat here. Parcel should be an option, ill confirm and let you know.
Old 11th April 2014, 20:38   #6172
Team-BHP Support

Guys, I'm driving down to Hyderabad tonight. Any suggestions for the must-have hyderabadi biriyani experience (Sunday lunch)? Medium spicy mutton.
Old 11th April 2014, 23:09   #6173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys, I'm driving down to Hyderabad tonight. Any suggestions for the must-have hyderabadi biriyani experience (Sunday lunch)? Medium spicy mutton.
Check out http://www.thegolkondahotel.com/

They are expensive but they have awesome food.
Old 11th April 2014, 23:50   #6174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
What place will you be staying or passing by?

In the Hitech City/Madhapur/Gachibowli area and around - Prince at Mehndipatnam (not family friendly), Shah Ghouse in Toli Chowki (family friendly but not posh), Mandar as well in Toli Chowki and AL Saba in Gachibowli.

Cafe Bahar in Basheerbagh (family friendly but not posh).

Paradise branches in - Secunderabad, Kukkatpally, HiTech city and one near Prasads Imax nearby Necklace road.

Midnight Biryani in Green Park in Greenlands, Begumpet.

These are all typical Hyderabadi joints.

Tell you what, call up mobike008 and he won't let you leave Hyderabad without forcing you to have Paradise Biryani. Such is his obsession with it.

P.S. We call it Biryani, not Biriyani like the folks down south.
Old 16th April 2014, 17:28   #6175
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys. Trip is completed and I'm back in Bangalore. Had a nice time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Check out http://www.thegolkondahotel.com/ They are expensive but they have awesome food.
Could not try Golkonda this time since it seemed like a big detour from the route we had taken for Sunday.

Have marked it in the bucket list for my next drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
What place will you be staying or passing by? In the Hitech City/Madhapur/Gachibowli area and around - Prince at Mehndipatnam (not family friendly), Shah Ghouse in Toli Chowki (family friendly but not posh), Mandar as well in Toli Chowki and AL Saba in Gachibowli. Cafe Bahar in Basheerbagh (family friendly but not posh). Paradise branches in - Secunderabad, Kukkatpally, HiTech city and one near Prasads Imax nearby Necklace road. Midnight Biryani in Green Park in Greenlands, Begumpet. These are all typical Hyderabadi joints. Tell you what, call up mobike008 and he won't let you leave Hyderabad without forcing you to have Paradise Biryani. Such is his obsession with it. P.S. We call it Biryani, not Biriyani like the folks down south.
Was staying at Mokhila near Shankarpalli. Had very limited connectivity options there and hence the delay in updating the thread.

We went to Paradise at Hi-tech city for Sunday lunch. I just loved their 'biryani' ( ) Was just right for me with lot of flavour and not too spicy. Also tried Paneer 65 which was just too good.

However, wife suffered from an upset stomach and acute pain almost 2 hours after lunch. And it got real worse by evening/ night. Had to postpone the drive back to Bangalore from Monday early morning to Monday afternoon for her to feel better. Not sure what went wrong since I had the same food as her during lunch (and breakfast for that matter) and I didn't feel any discomfort. Anyways, all fine now.
Old 18th April 2014, 11:17   #6176
BHPian

It happens only in Hyderabad :

Biryani is available at Pizza Hut outlets in Hyderabad

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-pizzahutbiryani.jpg
The above image is a screenshot from http://www.pizzahut.co.in/

Thanks to EcosportRules who brought it to my notice.
Old 18th April 2014, 16:23   #6177
Distinguished - BHPian

Went for dinner to my most favorite North Indian Restuarant yesterday, 'Reshmi'

We ordered the following :-

1/2 Tandoori Chicken ( Owners son insisted its better than Kalmi, I disagree but, its very good)

Corn Cheese Balls ( All time favorite)

Stuffed Capsicum ( Heavenly)

Kheema Naan and Kulchas

All of above was washed down with Jaljeera Soda and Fresh Lime Soda
Mom never likes paneer in other restuarants but, only in Reshmi. She casual was commenting on same and the owner sitting on next table overheard and sents a plate of Paneer Tikka over

It was simply outstanding and just melts in mouth

She mentioned that only Waterfront and Reshmi order Paneer from Delhi, no other restuarant in Hyderabad

Must Have list in Reshmi

1. Kalmi Kebab
2. Tandoori Chicken
3. Corn Cheese Balls
4. Stuffed Capsicum
5. Kheema Biryani

Their Kheema naan was not really good. Wont order this again

P.S: They have started a unique punjabi combos for lunch and its doing really well it seems and they plan to introduce for dinner as well. Veg as well as NV combos

Veg Combos : 99 onwards

NV Combos : 129 onwards
Old 22nd April 2014, 19:24   #6178
BHPian

The Ohri's Group has opened a new outlet called Ohri's Dhaba within the Shilpakalavedika complex (behind Shilapramam) just next to Paradise and also KFC.

The entrance gate for Ohri's is just after the entrance gate of Trident Hotel.

It is located on 1st floor and will soon expand to 2nd floor due to very good and heavy demand.

Ground Floor has Eatmor and Havmor, which are also Ohri's brands.

Ample parking is available in the complex, there is no valet parking and there are no parking charges (but feel free to tip the guys on duty who help you park and take out the vehicle - they really deserve the tip).

Buffet includes unlimited Thums-Up and also unlimited bottled water.
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20140420-21.41.48.jpg
The price is 350 all inclusive.

The bill does not contain any "SERVICE CHARGE". Again, feel free to tip the wait staff if you enjoy the meal and the service.
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20140421-10.33.031.jpg
Food is typical Ohri's food, absolute VFM but nothing spectacular or out of the world.

Enjoy and do report your feedback here for the benefit of all other members.
Old 13th May 2014, 08:03   #6179
Distinguished - BHPian

Everyone here seems to be on a diet or simply too lazy to post updates

Last saturday, I happen to be in area so picked up the following from "Hotel Sohail", Malakpet

Golden Chicken Curry

Owner was insisting on this so took it. Lesson,always use your own judgement and place the order. It was nothing great and regretted picking it up

Mutton Biryani

It was quite nice and was suprised with its flavour and meat pieces in it. I would rate this biryani anyday better than Shadab

As it was afternoon, I didnt pick up their signature dishes "Patther Ka Ghosth" and "Marag"
Old 15th May 2014, 19:27   #6180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
It happens only in Hyderabad :

Biryani is available at Pizza Hut outlets in Hyderabad

Attachment 1231233
The above image is a screenshot from http://www.pizzahut.co.in/

Thanks to EcosportRules who brought it to my notice.
In my opinion, this is one fusion food item which did NOT work in Pizza Hut's favor. I tried it at their Madhapur outlet recently and I was very disappointed on the following parameters:

1. Staff are disinterested in general and not attentive.
2. The quantity served for the cost is peanuts (literally). The portion is sufficient for a toddler and for Hyderabadis who are used to eating large portions, this would be a total no-no
3. Taste Bud test: Failed.... Even though it is a Tawa Biryani and not cooked in Dum Style, it had almost no chicken pieces (each chicken piece was the size of a pea and the whole Biryani had about 12 pieces in total

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks