Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2014, 11:36   #6226
Team-BHP Support

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Marhaba.
Nalan Nagar X road, cross Morine Bakery, first left on the right hand side.
A very clean restaurant that serves an amazing (Mutton) Khabsa Laham. At Rs 280 there were 3 large mutton pieces and enough rice for a small family.
The soup was perfect in its spiciness.
The Shawrma Area is the cleanest I have seen in such joints.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-10521329_10204425143490073_7589425844342069667_n.jpg

Marhaba Arabic & Indian Restaurant,
Shop No.12-2-718/A/3/2,
Moghal My Choice Complex,
Nanal Nagar Cross Road,
Nanal Nagar Rd,
Rethibowli,
Hyderabad, Telangana 500028

Last edited by bblost : 1st September 2014 at 11:38.
Old 1st September 2014, 16:58   #6227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Disclaimer: I am not a foodie. On the other contrary, I am told that I have a 'manufacturing defect' and I cannot differentiate different tastes. Because of the above, for the food I'll be putting in review comments of my father and my wife who are both foodies.
Excellent feedback. Keep it coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Marhaba.Nalan Nagar X road, cross Morine Bakery,
I cross Marhaba everyday from and to work and always think of stopping but, when iam driving it's a huge task for me to stop

Indeed that counter looks pretty clean. Maybe will try one of these days

For the first time, tried the Spl Chicken Biryani from 4 Seasons at Inorbit Mall on Saturday. It was surprisingly quite good. Little spicy and juicy boneless pieces of chicken at Rs.240 and enjoyed by 3 of us

Sunday, tried yet again for the first time Boneless Chicken Biryani from Paradise, IMAX. It was a revelation. Spicy, Juicy boneless chicken and decent masala in entire biryani and was much better than 4 seasons. Iam going to try this again even though iam not a big fan of chicken in biryani and is really VFM at Rs.210 and was sufficient for 3 people.
Old 1st September 2014, 21:51   #6228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
Its closed. I called him to ask if they will do Onam Sadhya this time around. He told me that its closed and it did not sound as if they are reopening anytime soon.
Thats sad. Murugesh bhai told me they were looking for a smaller place close by. I guess they never got one. So this time I guess the closest Onam Sadya that we Hitec city people can have is at Kerala Kitchen, Kondapur. Decent Kerala restaurants are kind of rare in Hyderabad.

By the way had the best Osmani biscuits from Subhan Bakery, Nampally. Have been hearing about this place a lot in FIH in FB. Even our beloved Ravi anna swears by this bakery for their delicious Osmania cookies. And yes, its easily the best i've had so far. Literally melts in your mouth and is yummy!
Also tried their cashew biscuit which was OK, and I would rate Karachi Bakery better for Cashew cookies. Apart from the cookies, tried following:
Veg puffs: Really good though the filling was a bit less inside.
Mutton roll: Again, tasty.
Fruit bread: Soft and good.

Only disadvantage is that its a bit too far for me since I stay at the other end. But then wouldn't mind traveling there to get the Osmania cookies whenever I want to get them for my folks. Highly recommended.
Old 2nd September 2014, 17:28   #6229
Distinguished - BHPian

Been to Chocolate Room, Himayathnagar on Sunday evening.

As usual, it's one of the best places to enjoy chocolate delicacies at a reasonable pricing

Chocolate Chip Cookies with Vanilla Icecream

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_20140831_190937_edit.jpg

Chocolate Lava Lava

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_20140831_190839_edit.jpg

We repeated above desserts....I reckon we might have added a few pounds...scared to climb a weight meter
Old 4th September 2014, 19:27   #6230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Abhi_abarth, so how was Fishland's fish biryani? No report or feedback or review for the benefit of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Fishland used to be an amazing place maybe 5 years ago.

But, now its more or less like a mess in terms of their ambience and food quality

Abhi,did you try the fish biryani there? I hear another good place to have Fish Biryani is Spicy Venue at Jubilee Hills
I am sorry for not posting any review as i hardly got to taste it. I bought it for my sister and nephews who gobbled whole biryani leaving little bit of rice at the end

I did taste the biryani rice which had nice spicy flavour. Since this is the first time I tasted a fish biryani I really cannot come up with any comparision.

But I promise I will provide a detailed review with pictures after trying out at Spicy Venue at Jubilee Hills.
Old 4th September 2014, 20:28   #6231
Distinguished - BHPian

A few of the TBHP'ans met for lunch yesterday at "Aao Khao" which is a new establishment owned by the owner of erstwhile popular hotel at Kondapur ( name slips my mind now)

Its situated on the Kondapur-Gachibowli road and is located in a basement and there is no sitting. Its exactly like a south indian darshini style of eating on a long table

Food on the other hand is quite good. It is neither earth shaking nor average. It is somewhere between good to excellent

We were 6 of us and tasted plenty of items

Cajun Potatoes : Very good. Little bland but, I liked it a lot

Chole Bhature : Bhature was good but, I didnt like Chole. For me, nobody can beat Havemore chole

Dal Rice : Very homely taste and I liked it

Tandoori Chicken: Excellent and one of their best dishes

BBQ Chicken : This was also very nicely made

Kheema Mutter + 4 Rotis (Rs.350) : Excellent flavour to kheema but, mutter was coming in between the taste...Cost didnt justify the quantity

Jalebis were thin and crispy as I like it

Butter milk and Mirinda to wash all of this down

Rs.300 per head was not bad deal...Right?
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_20140903_135858.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20140903wa005.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20140903wa006.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20140903wa008.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20140903wa009.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20140903wa007.jpg  

Old 5th September 2014, 12:43   #6232
BHPian

Some restaurant reviews from my end:

Jewel of Nizam: Hotel Golkonda-Masab Tank

Been here last week after a very very long time. My wife wanted to eat at a place which served authentic Hyderabadi cuisine. This was the first name that came to my mind. Called to make reservations and was surprised to see the guy at the other end saying we can walk in directly. Maybe since it was a weekday, they don't see much crowd. Anyway, started from my home at Kondapur and after fumbling my way through the mad rush-hour traffic on the T'chowki-M'patnam stretch, reached this place at around 8.

We were seated immediately and as told earlier, tables were completely empty. We chose a cosy corner table and settled down. As expected the décor and ambience were top class with soothing Qawwali music being played live.

We ordered for a Tamatar Shorba, Murgh ka Tikka, Paneer Seekh Kabab and finished it off with Veg Biryani (my wife being vegetarian).

The Shorba had the right amount of spicyness to it and was served piping hot in heavy brass tumblers. Paneer was excellent with soft succulent pieces with right amount of flavor and color (it was not excessively orange as is served in some other places). The star of the night was however the Chicken Tikka. Mouth-watering with extremely soft pieces that were literally melting in my mouth. It had the right amount of Tandoor burns to it and was oozing with butter. Wow!!! The Biryani qty was huge and even though we had skipped lunch so as to have a heavy dinner, we could not finish it. I could tell just by looking at the rice that Basmati of premium quality was used. The veggies were boiled and cooked properly and the ratio of Masala to rice was just perfect to my taste.

Overall a very good dining experience. We ended up paying north of 1.8k for the 4 dishes we ordered but it was every penny worth it. The only grouse, if I had to nit-pick was that service was extremely slow. But the soothing music and the awesome ambience and cushy seats more than made up for it.

Would rate it a 9 out of 10. It still remains the one of the best Hyderabadi Cuisine restaurants in the city

Exotica: Rd no 12 Banjara Hills

For those who don't know this place, it is on the top floor of the bldg just opposite to the Audi showroom on Rd no 12.

Had gone there for a team lunch (13 ppl) with prior reservation. Basically we had to choose this place because most of the happening places like BN and ABs were booked for Friday. Anyway reviews were good and we landed up at 1230pm promptly.

They have a sit out area and an AC area. We chose the AC area as the weather was bordering between pleasant and hot. Surprisingly, the AC was not even switched on. The worst part is that even though the waiters there were sweating, he was still maintaining that AC was running. Luckily the manager intervened and it was sorted out.

The food spread can be described in just one word: Disappointing. I mean come-on guys. In this age when similar type restaurants give complimentary mocktails and a minimum of 3-4 veg and non veg starters each, they were giving out Pepsi and Sprite as complimentary and only 2 non-veg (both chicken) and 2 veg starters. Only one out of the 4, that too, a veg starter was good. Others were uncooked, hard to chew and looks unappealing.

The disappointment continued onto the main course. Rotis were served cold, paneer in paneer tikka masala was hard, there was a mutton masala gravy in which you could hardly find muton and even if you did, it was hard to chew and peel off. Combine that with typical IT mentality during team lunches where ppl think its sub-standard behavior to eat with hands, it was a total disaster. Desserts were the only saving grace with Gulab jamoons which were piping hot. Chocolate pastry which was good and my favourite Mango ice cream which was part of the ice cream menu. If not for the desserts, we would have come back extremely disappointed.

I cannot think of a rating higher than 5 on 10 for this.

Sahin Sindh Sultan: City centre mall, Banjara Hills

For starters, I feel this place is over-hyped wrt the crowd that it sees. Even after calling and making reservation and that too for 10pm, we were made to wait for more than 15 mins. Since it was already late and my daughter was getting cranky, we decided to stay put till we were summoned.

The Décor is good. It has subtle lighting and is not overly bright - just the way I like it. We ordered for Zamindaari Achari aloo for starters, rumali roti for me, Masala Kulcha for my wife and a gravy called Pista Khaju and Badam (which they call as PKB).

The aloo was quite good. They were basically baby potatoes grilled in a tandoor with little bit of yogurt and achaar added to it. All the 15 pieces in the plate were consistently and equally cooked. They had a beautiful golden red color to them and looked instantly appetizing. Coupled with Coke, they tasted awesome.

Rotis were the usual fare and they were quite soft and were not at all leathery to peel. The gravy was the real star. Generous amount of dry fruits sprinkled in a thick onion-tomatoey gravy. The lightly roasted dry fruits along with the smooth gravy made it a real treat to the palate. I don't know about the Kulcha, but my rumali roti tasted extremely awesome with the gravy.

For desserts, we ordered for a dish called the Indian sweet sampler. It was a combo of 3 indian desserts, Gulab Jamun, Kheer and Ice cream which was sufficient for 2 people. It was excellent with Jamuns being extremely soft and kheer had the right amount of sweetness to it. The correct way to eat this is to start with Kheer, then ice cream and then the Gulab Jamun (even gulab jamun with ice cream would taste great).

We were set back by a good 1.8k here as well which I think is a little over-priced for this place. As is said, this place has a lot of hype especially among the North Indian crowd. I would rate them around 7 overall.
Old 5th September 2014, 17:16   #6233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Some restaurant reviews from my end:

Jewel of Nizam: Hotel Golkonda-Masab Tank
Good Review. There is some festival going on at JON until Sep 14th. I got a text message this morning about it

It would have been nice if you had given a cost break up of the dishes

Last saturday, I visited Ohris 1857 to meet a few friends and I was suprised to see the make-over. Saturdays are totally hep there now and also has a pub feeling to it ( imagine for a classic indian restuarant) and even has a karoke and singer (Andy from 10D) singing some lovely english numbers

However, food was a disaster. We ordered plenty of Mocktails and not a single drink was good.

We ordered starters like Corn Kernel, Chicken Tikka, Paneer Tikka and also in main course we ordered Veg Biryani and Mutton Biryani

Not a single snack was even worth mentioning

Veg Biryani was full of masala and for a moment i mistook it for Mutton Biryani and Mutton Biryani was vice versa. Completely white and a few meat pieces tucked somewhere deep down the dish

Ambience and Crowd was lovely but, food and beverages was below par

Don't go by the nice colors of this mocktail. It was yucky to taste

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_20140830_221511.jpg
Old 6th September 2014, 06:11   #6234
BHPian

Quote:
F1dotcom and Ranjit. When was the last time you visited Chinese Pavilion and what you ate there? I too have been there a couple of times. I found the food to be strictly decent nothing really overwhelming. Hence, curious to know
Apologies for the delayed response as I am overseas and havent had time to login to the forum.

The last I visited was sometime in 4th week of June just before I went abroad and I found the food to be pretty good.
Old 6th September 2014, 14:07   #6235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
This thread has died down!we ate out after a long time and what a disaster it has been:(

Haiking,Jubilee-Thumbs down for me.
Sorry for quoting such an old post but I completely agree with what you've said. The original HaiKing near Hyderguda was one of the best places to have chinese in the city until about 2-3 years back. It used to be a family tradition to have dinner at Haiking on birthdays but it all went horribly wrong since the ground floor section was razed off. The once happy staff became rather tired and worn out. The nail in the coffin was the opening of the jubilee hills branch. The food wasn't remotely of their caliber and the staff is atrocious. I've been there once and never again. I still do visit the original HaiKing sometimes, reliving the good ol' days and hoping they come back.

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th September 2014 at 11:13. Reason: Please dont quote entire post for a reply
Old 6th September 2014, 15:48   #6236
Senior - BHPian

Onam wishes to all Mallus out here. For the other foodies, this is a good chance to try out the Kerala style sadya if you haven't had a chance yet

Did anyone try the sadya at Kerala Kitchen? How was it/ is it worth going? What are the other options for a sadya?
Old 8th September 2014, 11:41   #6237
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday, out of the blue we decided to visit "Jewels of Nizam (JON)" for lunch. It is almost more than a year that we visited and also there was a festival that was going on "Dawaat E Lazeez". After a nice drive until gandipet in the continous drizzle that really worked up our apetite, we landed at JON around 2:30pm and it was fully packed due to the buffet lunch going on that was priced at Rs.1050 PP

we were promptly seated but, we all felt little uncomfortable due to the noisy atmosphere, we had hoped to dine in peace. Anyways, we decided to stick to Ala-Carte and ordered the following dishes from their special menu for the ongoing festival.

1. Tomato Shorba
2. Stuffed Kulcha
3. Subz Platter
4. Patthar Ka Ghost
5. Veg Biryani
6. Mutton Biryani

Tomato Shorba was perfectly made with all the spices really giving out the flavours. However, it was slightly waterish for my taste

Stuffed Kulcha was excellent. Soft and melt in mouth. Mom thoroughly enjoyed it

Subz platter consisted of 3 items (Kebab Rolls, Veg Cutlets and Paneer Tikka). Each and every item was well cooked and was super delicious

Patthar Ka Ghost was unbeilevable. It was soft, juicy, succulent and is a MUST HAVE. Bade Miyan Kebab PKG will completely pale in comparison

Veg Biryani was enjoyed by mom. She normally hates biryani and prefers pulao or fried rice as she likes less spice. She enjoyed this biryani as the rice was aromatic, balanced spices and was mild in taste

Mutton Biryani was star of the day and was exactly like Veg Biryani but, meat was perfectly marinated and cooked and there were plenty of pieces to keep you happy. Mirchi ka salan was heavenly and so was the raitha (thick and sweet). Indeed the best mutton biryani in Hyderabad. It was subtle, flavoursome and not too overpowering

Both Biryanis were served in a small handi with atta wrapping that sealed it. However, I found the quantity to be on lower side

Overall damages were Rs. 2400 and it was an amazing experience. However, next time we will go for dinner as the ambience would be perfect and not suited for lunch.
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20140907wa025001.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20140908wa001001.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20140908wa002001.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20140908wa003001.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20140908wa007001.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20140908wa004001.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20140908wa009001.jpg  

Old 8th September 2014, 12:52   #6238
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday, out of the blue we decided to visit "Jewels of Nizam (JON)" for lunch.....

Both Biryanis were served in a small handi with atta wrapping that sealed it. However, I found the quantity to be on lower side

Overall damages were Rs. 2400 and it was an amazing experience. However, next time we will go for dinner as the ambience would be perfect and not suited for lunch.
I am little surprised because the last time I visited them for dinner, the qty of Biryani (Veg) was HUGE. Maybe since u mentioned about food festival going on, they reduced the qty.

I agree on the time to visit part. As said in my review some posts ago, they are almost empty during dinner times and the ambience and food combo is just too good and more than worth the money they charge you.
Old 9th September 2014, 16:07   #6239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
I am little surprised because the last time I visited them for dinner, the qty of Biryani (Veg) was HUGE
My mom alone ate veg biryani and she is a poor eater and we had to obviously parcel the remaining veg biryani and that quantity also was quite low

with regards to MB, even wife is a small eater and it was not even sufficient for two people. Not that I went hungry but, for the price paid (Rs.485 ++), it's less

Yeah, it was a lesson. Never go for lunch to such places. Dinners are best time to enjoy their ambience, hope for less crowd and enjoy your food in peace
Old 10th September 2014, 16:41   #6240
Distinguished - BHPian

While watching the ganesh visarjan at basheerbagh and abids.

All that ganesh procession made us really hungry so we went to Mayur Paan Shop at Abids and enjoyed a host of snacks which was our dinner as it was late evening which included Paav Bhaaji, Sev Poori, Paani Poori, Custard Apple juice ( this was fantastic) and lastly my favorite "Khoa Barfi" this reminded me of my school days

Paav Bhaaji

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20140908wa004.jpg

Khoa Barfi

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20140908wa005.jpg

and followed it up with Mary Kom movie. A day well spent

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks