Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2015, 14:08   #6286
Senior - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
... will get 2 evenings in Delhi as well before going to Hyd. Old Delhi beckons ...
Skip Old Delhi and go to Nizamuddin. Much better variety, no hype and much better food.
Old 9th July 2015, 14:56   #6287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Skip Old Delhi and go to Nizamuddin. Much better variety, no hype and much better food.
Yes, been to Nizamuddin also couple of times, but didn't go there in my last couple of visits to Delhi. In Old Delhi, Kuremal kulfi and Al Kausar's kebabs are my favourite though.
Old 13th July 2015, 18:32   #6288
Senior - BHPian

Review:Nala's Aapakadai,Jubilee Hills

Not much to write about the place-Simply Awful and Pathetic.I hope they are on their way to closing down the place.
-Dirty interiors,aircons leaking water onto the sofas
-dirty pieces of torn cloth placed on the sofa to avoid the water from seeping into the sofa,
-worn out tables and chairs.
-Unbelievably exorbitant prices
-Sad looking,disinterested and unkempt looking staff-not something that you expect at a place that charges a bomb
-Dog-eared laminated menu cards-imo,they shud be giving us a finger bowl after touching the menu card
-Presentation-what is that?
To sum it up,I just hope they close down or inject some fresh lease of life in whatever way.
-The parking is at the rear of the restaurant and you have direct views into their kitchen and staff staying places,I just lost all my appetite after that-luckily for us,we saw it on our way back:(
Avoid at all costs.
PS:The least they can do is to give the poor Maitre'd a decent uniform,poor guy is struggling to fit into his uniform-Seeing is believing!
Its like how you get a 10yr old to fit into a 5yr old' clothes!
Old 20th July 2015, 01:06   #6289

Hello Hyderabadi BHPians,

Accidentally bumped into this thread. Not sure this will be of everyone's liking or not as this is my personal view. I am not actually promoting this place or brand.

Basically ,I am food lover and a wannabe entrepreneur in food industry sometime soon. Few concepts are running on my mind over the years which are still at R&D phase. From couple of years, i am on the run throughout the state(2 states i mean) for the famous & distinct food joints to get to know taste, to know the USPs, facts in running the business etc., I figured out the following place will be related to this thread and hence posting it. Apart from the below, I've few more on the list and will share if anyone is interested.

There is this place called Highway Bar & Restaurant on Hydernagar main road, right next to the upcoming metro station at Nizampet Cross, Off JNTU. Keema Biryani from there is one of the sumptuous and delicious biryani I ever had. Of course, food is not the prime commodity of their business. But,this particular biryani is one of it's kind.I've tried the same at many other places and nothing came at par to the taste. I am a regular customer to this place from years only for this one. It is priced at 230 with taxes and I usually get a parcel during the weekends. It will be on our every fortnight's menu or at times when family & friends come to my place. Till date , i've not received a negative comment about taste,quality or quantity. My sister-in-law who hail from Bangalore, takes a parcel with her every single time she pays a visit to us.

So, BHPians around this place, do give it a try. You will not be disappointed.

Cheers!!
Old 31st July 2015, 18:42   #6290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyaneesh View Post

There is this place called Highway Bar & Restaurant on Hydernagar main road, right next to the upcoming metro station at Nizampet Cross, Off JNTU. Keema Biryani from there is one of the sumptuous and delicious biryani I ever had. Of course, food is not the prime commodity of their business. But,this particular biryani is one of it's kind.I've tried the same at many other places and nothing came at par to the taste.

So, BHPians around this place, do give it a try. You will not be disappointed.

Cheers!!
Hey diyaneesh, been to highway bar quite number of times and I very much cherishe Kheema Biryani there.

In Jubilee Hills, there is one more place called as Spice Venue. Try Kheema biryani there once and you wont come back disappointed.

Also went to a new place "United Kitchens of India" @Rd no 45, Jubilee Hills

Paid visit twice over here. They have various sates cuisines like AP/Tel, TN, KL, RJ, WB etc and hence the name United Kitchens of India. In the first time, the outlet was recently opened and the staff was very courteous. The food was also very good. During the second time the friendly nature and the taste of the food, both had gone to average from good. They said, soon they would be getting the bar permission, as of now only mocktails are available which are pretty good.

Cost per person come to around 600.
Old 15th September 2015, 22:55   #6291

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Good variety of Karam and Egg dosa is available at Kadapa/Ananthapur as well.The biryani which you are talking about is known as Shukoor Biryani.
There is a very famous restaurant named Shukoor in Kadapa from where this variant of Biryani Originated.Places in and around Kadapa sell this variant of Biryani called Shukoor Biryani.

Mutton and rice is cooked separately and mixed before serving.Shukoor is the only place where this variant is cooked to perfection.

Waseem.
Waseem bhai,

I know you are quite busy now with the other issues. I am an avid follower of your posts & updates on your facebook page. Kudos to your outstanding efforts that are going to bring a significant and much needed changes in our system.

Coming to the point, i accidentally bumped into your particular quote while searching for something else. I hail from kadapa and spent much of childhood there. I would like to tell you that the pot biryani and shukoor biryani are not one and the same. They were prepared in completely different ways and stands out as one of their kind. I am a wannabe entrepreneur in food industry and has done a good amount of research in the context of pot biryanis in the recent times. Due to some constraints, i placed my business plan on setting up these joints in bangalore & hyderabad on hold for some more time. The pot biryani is one such a dish whose taste cannot be replicated by another kind of biryanis that are available. The preparation, the making, serving and the taste are distinct. Its a must try for every food lover. To the best of my knowledge, the origin of Pot Biryani is Proddatur.

On the other hand, shukoor biryani is also a delight to have but it will be available only on sunday that too in the morning hours. You can find a huge crowd near that place despite being a weekend morning. There is a very funny story behind the inception of this biryani. PM me if you are interested.

Lastly, I am sorry if have disturbed you from your busy schedule due to this. Though this is not that much relevant with the present day's scenario, i just couldn't stop myself replying you
Old 17th September 2015, 10:19   #6292
BHPian

Last week during a rainy evening, planned for a biryani parcel and ended up dining. The place is Maa Ooru Biryani. Hyderabadi's doesnt like this kind of biryani, which is pakka village style or the way we chennaites have our own range of thalappakatti's, anjappar and junior kuppanna's. The rice is not basmati and it is very small called seeraga samba. We ordered mutton biryani, biryani rice and chicken tikka. The chicken tikka is just fried chicken and the biryani was served in donne. We liked it too much since we were tasting these type of biryani's when we travel to our hometown. Our wish is now fulfilled and this place is going to be our regular affair.

Name: Maa Ooru Biryani
Location: Near Temple Bus Stop, Opposite Mamta Nursing Home, MIG 423, Sri Maruthi Nilayam, KPHB 3rd Phase, Kukatpally
Old 18th September 2015, 13:24   #6293

I am surprised there is this thread on TBHP
Having lived in the heart of the city for almost 20 years (around narayanguda), have recently moved to Kondapur. Was very skeptic on the food scene in this "new" part of the city but have discovered some really nice places in the past few months.

I am sure many of you have already tried 13 Dhaba, under gachibowli flyover. It has one of the best tasting punjabi food - chole and dal makhani are a must try here.

Then there is "over the flames" in telecom nagar for authentic italian. The quality has come down a lot from the past few years and they have a branch in Madhapur as well but this place is a must try for its pastas. Also located at this place is Rice Bowl - our defacto takeaway place when working late night at office.

A nice south indian joint run from a small room and a bundi is there at masjid banda cross road offering wide veriety of dosa, mysore bonda, idly & wada. There is no name to it but you can easily spot it as there is always a big crowd at the shop. It closes by 11am everyday.

I thought i will miss the late night/early morning snacks days from kacheguda station but DLF has a very lively late night food scene. You can get almost everything here - right from biryani, shawarma, sandwiches, rolls to paneer dosa (ofcourse does not match the gujarathi galli paner dosa taste) till almost 1 am.

Then you have the multiple dosa bandis on auto's all along gachibowli road, none of them really worth writing about. Still havent tried "Chaitole" opposite to Karachi Bakery at indira nagar - please let me know if anyone has tried it.

Just a little contribution from my side in this part of the city.
Happy eating
Old 19th September 2015, 21:52   #6294
BHPian

Jashn, the name itself speaks about the vibrant energy one can expect at this place. Jashn-E-Audh, Celebration of Audh as translated into English is true to its name. It does give one the much needed opportunity to be a part of the celebration of good Awadhi cuisine, which has been missing since long. A good number of restaurants do have a few dishes scattered on their menu’s here and there albeit none of them did the true justice to what the Awadhi cuisine had to offer. More than anything else, it is the sheer love that goes into making these dishes that makes Awadhi cuisine a must have on the list of “Cuisines to Try before I Die”.

Finding a full-fledged restaurant serving Awadhi Cuisine was long needed in Hyderabad, given the advent of various types of cuisines venturing into Hyderabad Food Scene. Hyderabad can boast of catering cuisines from North to South and East to West. The Central Part of India was what was missing for long and this vacuum gets filled with the advent of Jashn-e-Audh.

My Introduction to Awadhi Cuisine
Awadhi Cuisine was never an alien cuisine for me, given the fact that my maternal side hails from the region of Uttar Pradesh was more than enough to ensure I had good acquaintance with what Awadhi Cuisine had to offer. The tryst with Awadhi Cuisine was always on at home with the Mutton Khichda, Seasonal Deewani Handi, Dahi ke Aloo/Bhindi/Arbi, Kathal (Jack Fruit) Dum Biryani. The occasional Awadhi treat was more than what we could ask for. The regular food affair at home was spread across Gujarati Cuisine, Awadhi Cuisine and Hyderabadi Cuisine. Paternal being from Gujarat, Maternal from Lucknow and settled in Hyderabad, the food at home always used to be a proper amalgamation of various cuisines. Palak Parantha or Methi Parantha was relished the same way as we used to relish Dhokla or Khaandvi. Occasional Shammi Kebabs or Aloo Kebabs were blessing in disguise, given the rarity with which these were made at home.

Ambience
The décor has an upmarket feel and the place very well utilized to give each one the required privacy to relish their food. The intricate design of the partitions reminds me of the beautiful ventilators we used to have in our house, when we were kids. Love the simplicity and the beauty with which the interiors have been made up to ensure one feels the rich opulence of the place and is still comforting.

How did I land at Jashn-e-Audh
Jashn-e-Audh has been on my Must-Visit-ASAP list & that too with real high expectations given the torturous wait for the opening of the outlet since the time I’ve seen the boards being up during the holy month of Ramzan. Gorging on a delicious bowl of piping hot haleem, my eyes wander around the place to be glued at one place, Jashn-e-Audh, the name of the restaurant, hidden from plain sight put up on the frontage of a building, which very shyly declared about the place coming up soon. This was the moment; I made up my mind to visit this place as soon as it opens. Been waiting for a good time, following various sources for information regarding the grand opening of this place. Then started the lull period of gastronomical sabbatical, I undertake every year. This year, I ended up replenishing myself after the sabbatical at Jashn-e-Audh and it was truly worth the wait.

The Gastronomical Adventure at Jashn-e-Audh
You can never do justice to a place, until you’ve not tasted all the dishes served there. The order was pretty elaborate given the wait and the people in attendance.

Time to Wake Up Buds!!! - Murgh Badami Shorba, Yakhni Palak Shorba, Nalli Ka Awadhi Shorba

Murgh Badami Shorba
A beautiful amalgamation of flavors is what defines this. The strong flavors of almond are more than enough to sooth those taste buds and slowly wake them up from their deep slumber. The minced chicken, cooked in almond-chicken broth dish does tease you beautifully and leaves you enchanted and longing for more. The generous usage of almonds makes this a very heavy soup. I for one would have this again, given the immense flavors this has to offer.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0023.jpg

Yakhni Palak Shorba
The only time I used to relish Palak Soup was after a bout of high fever and the much needed energy it used to provide to help one bounce back onto the feet. Never expected the humble Palak Soup could be so great to eat. The freshness of Spinach puree is felt in every spoonful of this soup. Only grouse, the flavors of spinach do not seep into the minced meat. Would have been bliss, if the minced meat was cooked in the same spinach puree as served as soup to give it that taste.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0020.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0024.jpg

Nalli Ka Awadhi Shorba
Unlike the other two thick shorba’s served, this was much thinner and leaner as compared to the others. The shorba lacked the depth of flavors, was more of like the Chilli-Pepper Soup, one has when down with cold. The soup failed to tick the right boxes due to the lack of flavors and generous usage of red chilli. The flavors were missing in action in this dish. Could have been due to the overpowering flavors of other shorba’s, however said that, each needs to stand on his own and make their presence felt.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0025.jpg

Kickass Starters - Galawati Kebab, Mahi Awadhi, Gusse Waley Nawaab

Galawati Kebab
True to their name, Galawati does perfectly explain, what it means, when we call something that melts. The Kebab is true Melt in the Mouth types with great taste. The entire process of making this kebab as per the original recipe might be a painful exercise, given the secret list of ingredients and spices, which kind of run into 100 odd spices mixed together to make this delicacy. The overpowering flavors and soft tender meat make this a true melt in the mouth dish. I dare you to stop at one, I do see IMPOSSIBLE written in bold all over.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0036.jpg

This was the best Galawati Kebab’s I’ve had till date, when I look back and compare this with all the other places I’ve had this. The Galawati Kebabs served here are a few 100’s notches higher than the ones I’ve always used as a benchmark and had at a place, which serves food either in a cave or amidst the jungles of Africa. If you ain’t having this here, then you are seriously missing something.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0034.jpg

Mahi Awadhi
Fresh fillets of fish fried in a delicately flavored batter of mint and raw mango. Not too often do we encounter great dishes made of fresh fish in this part of the country, this for sure stands out for the freshness and flavor. The dish oozed of flavors of mint, a hint of raw mango and a distinct smoky flavor. As long as the fish does not smell funny, it’s truly delectable.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0029.jpg

The rich aroma of spices blends pretty well with the chutney served with the starter as an accompaniment. Special mention for the Onions coated in Turmeric flavored curd. Could not help myself from asking for more of this, only to be relished as is. The Mahi Awadhi does remind one of the Amritsari Macchi served at iconic Palace Heights. This dish does share the similar flavors in terms of aromatic fragrances.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0031.jpg

Gusse Waley Nawaab
I was left to ponder over this question, “Nawaab Saab itna jyaada ghusse mein kyon they?” for long, trying to understand what made the Nawaab so angry that they had to make a dish on his anger. The soft, boneless pieces of chicken, marinated in spices were well done and soft to eat. The chicken however lacked the flavors, which should have seeped deep into each piece. The starter was a bit tad too bland to taste and needed a rejig by trying to have it with the chutney served. The lack of flavors was what made this dish a strict no on my list.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0013.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0015.jpg

Kuch Khaas - Mutton Rezala, Ghost Pasanda

Mutton Rezala
Beautiful pieces of lamb meat cooked in rich, aromatic, fragrant gravy of ground cashew nuts makes this dish a must have. Seldom do we see places serving boneless mutton in their main course dishes and Mutton Rezala is one dish, which stands out of the lot for having 3 huge pieces of soft, tender meat, diagonally cut from the thigh. The thick cashew based gravy makes it a rich, opulent meal for the day. A bit on the sweeter side due to the usage of cashew, onions, this dish is a perfect accompaniment for their Nawabi Paratha.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0039.jpg

Gosth Pasanda
Loved this dish due to the steaks of mutton, which were cooked to perfection and were oozing of flavors. Each bite of this ensured an explosion of flavors and hunger for more. Being not very spicy, this was a bit on the milder side too. Each piece of mutton was engulfed in plethora of flavors and did do justice to the hungry taste buds asking for more.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0042_20150819225203565.jpg

Roti, Shoti and More - Nawabi Paratha, Rumali Roti

Nawabi Paratha
The Nawabi Paratha were a bit on the sweeter side, I guess due to the usage of abundant butter and of course, had a hint of the sweetness of Khowa, which could have been used during the kneading process. If you love experimenting with food, a must try for sure. At least for the mere experience of having something so rich, oozing with loads of butter and a bit sweet to taste. A good accompaniment for Mutton Rezala or Ghost Pasanda.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0046.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0048.jpg

Rumali Roti
Rumali Roti at Jashn-e-Audh was a first time experience for me as I’ve never seen a Rumali Roti made with Wheat. Rumali Roti ideally was always seen made with Maida, whereas this was made of wheat and was as soft as the usual maida rumali roti’s we get at other places. This is a must have for sure and I do not mind going down to Jashn-e-Audh for a takeaway of these Wheat based Rumali Roti’s.

Kuch Meetha Ho Jaaye - Mirch ka Halwa, Lychee Phirni

Mirch ka Halwa
Who in their wildest dreams could have imagined a desert could be churned out of the spiciest of the vegetables around? Should have to be either a Lucknowi or Hyderabadi guy for sure. Reason why I mention Hyderabadi, ever heard about “Pyaaz Ki Kheer”, origin unknown to many, authentic styled Pyaaz ki Kheer is still being made in few of the households of the old city, who hold the recipe very close to heart and do not let this desert fade away into oblivion.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0060.jpg

Mirch ka Halwa is something on the similar lines. A person might find it hard to perceive and connect the dots as to how could two varied things come together to produce a dish so good to taste. The Mirch ka Halwa has the aroma of green chilies, a slight after taste of green chilies and does not taste the same while eating it. The moment one eats a spoonful of this halwa, one gets those flavors of Moong Ki Dal ka Halwa and the after taste takes a drastic turn to give one the slight fiery after taste of the green chilies. A good experimental desert, if you’ve never tried it till now.

Lychee Phirni
A lychee flavored phirni served cold. The phirni is made just perfect with the right amount of sugar levels. The minimalistic usage of sugar helps one relish the flavors of lychee fruit, which is buried deep within the phirni.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0056.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0053.jpg

Overall experience, one would feel the royalty being served on the platter. The rich, opulent, aromatic, fragrant food served makes one think and relive the golden old days of the Nawabs of Lucknow. I for one would return back for more that Jashn-e-Audh has to offer. As I mentioned earlier, “you can never do justice to a place, until you’ve not tasted all the dishes served there”. Before I end this, would like to thank the captain “Sharath” for taking us through this amazing gastronomical journey at Jashn-e-Audh.

Till then, in true Lucknowi tehzeeb….. “Mezbaani aur Khidmat mein aap ne koi kami toh nahi kee hai, par khuda jhoot na bolaye, pet bharaa hai par dil nahi bharaa.

Read more Gastronomical Adventures of Traveloholic on https://www.zomato.com/1point1
Old 20th September 2015, 19:35   #6295
BHPian

Nikhil bhai Awesome details and fantastic pics , mouth watering from true connoisseur after long hiatus
Old 26th September 2015, 13:14   #6296
BHPian

Just a very quick shoutout to Urvasi restaurant in AS Rao Nagar. Their kheema biryani is amazing. Also sambar rice with extra papads. Insanely delicious.
Old 26th September 2015, 17:19   #6297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Jashn, the name itself speaks about the vibrant energy one can expect at this place. Jashn-E-Audh, Celebration of Audh as translated into English is true to its name. It does give one the much needed opportunity to be a part of the celebration of good Awadhi cuisine, which has been missing since long. A good number of restaurants do have a few dishes scattered on their menu’s here and there albeit none of them did the true justice to what the Awadhi cuisine had to offer. More than anything else, it is the sheer love that goes into making these dishes that makes Awadhi cuisine a must have on the list of “Cuisines to Try before I Die”.
Very well written Nikhil Bhai.

Lets visit this place together when i am in Hyderabad next time.

Waseem.....
Old 4th October 2015, 23:00   #6298
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Jashn, the name itself speaks about the vibrant energy one can expect at this place. Jashn-E-Audh, Celebration of Audh as translated into English is true to its name.
After a shopping trip to Spar we decided on a dinner out. I remembered your post and decided to try this place.

Thanks a lot.

The food and service were both amazing.
I loved the "Angry Kabebs" and the Mirchi ka Mitha.
Also liked the spinach and corn side dish.

The roomali rotis made of wheat are excellent.

The mutton biryani had some lovely mutton pieces but it had a strong flavor of rose water. My wife liked it, I am not a big fan of that.

Thanks again.
Old 8th October 2015, 17:39   #6299
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if it has been posted before but Akson Restaurant in Punjagutta has some amazing and affordable food. Tried the Prawn Masala with Parotha and it was really flavourful. One portion is good enough for two people.
The place got a full renovation recently, including air-conditioning. The service is very quick and the staff is very friendly. The place is pretty small so is mostly full during peak hours(lunch and evening). It is right opposite Model House on the main road itself.
Attaching a picture of the menu.
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imageuploadedbyteambhp1444306091.474230.jpg
Old 5th December 2015, 20:45   #6300
BHPian

Hi Everybody.
I will be visiting Hyderabad for a conference next week for 3 days and am eager to try out your famous cuisine.

Any suggestions please ( though non veg preferred)- the place does not have to be fancy as long the food is authentic.
Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed