Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2018, 18:12   #6376
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Are there any good Air conditioned South Indian Restaurants near the Airport for breakfast? I will be flying into Hyderabad & taking a taxi to Begumpet. Should I have breakfast somewhere near the airport or should I wait till I reach Begumpet?
Old 19th June 2018, 18:19   #6377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Are there any good Air conditioned South Indian Restaurants near the Airport for breakfast? I will be flying into Hyderabad & taking a taxi to Begumpet. Should I have breakfast somewhere near the airport or should I wait till I reach Begumpet?
The Shamshabad airport is in the outskirts. The only air conditioned restaurant you’ll find there is in Novotel (quite pricey). If you are looking for something more casual and South Indian, you can try Chutneys at Road#3, Banjara Hills. It’ll be on the way to Begumpet from the airport after you get down from the express way.
Old 19th June 2018, 18:31   #6378
Team-BHP Support

You can eat at the airport itself. Quite a few restaurants inside the food court.
So that when you get to Begumpet, you are not very hungry.
Old 19th June 2018, 18:39   #6379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Either the food court at the basement level,else Flavours of Taj Mahal Hotel at Banjara Hills,which would be on your way to Begumpet https://goo.gl/maps/eQrb9aGqn3M2
Old 20th June 2018, 17:32   #6380
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
The Shamshabad airport is in the outskirts. The only air conditioned restaurant you’ll find there is in Novotel (quite pricey). If you are looking for something more casual and South Indian, you can try Chutneys at Road#3, Banjara Hills. It’ll be on the way to Begumpet from the airport after you get down from the express way.

Sounds good. Thank you.

My flight is at 9:30 or so & I will be free by 5ish. So I need to spend some time but at the same time make sure I won't be stuck in traffic while returning to airport from the place.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st June 2018 at 06:42. Reason: Rule #11. Strictly no mention of alcohol in the posts. Thanks.
Old 20th June 2018, 17:55   #6381
BHPian

Quote:
Sounds good. Thank you.

My flight is at 9:30 or so & I will be free by 5ish. So I need to spend some time but at the same time make sure I won't be stuck in traffic while returning to airport from the place.
Begumpet to Airport will take you about 75 mins in peak eve traffic. There is a Hard Rock Cafe at Banjara Hills which will be on your way. You can probably kill 1 hour there.

Finally, you can also reach the airport early and sit in the airport lounge. If I were you, I would do this to beat the stress of reaching the airport on time.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st June 2018 at 06:44. Reason: Quoted post edited + rule #11. Thanks.
Old 21st June 2018, 10:35   #6382
Distinguished - BHPian

Car boy thanks for digging this thread out of oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
You can eat at the airport itself. Quite a few restaurants inside the food court.So that when you get to Begumpet, you are not very hungry.
You got to be kidding me. Eating at the airport is the worst thing anyone can do. I would skip it completely

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Either the food court at the basement level,else Flavours of Taj Mahal Hotel at Banjara Hills,which would be on your way to Begumpet https://goo.gl/maps/eQrb9aGqn3M2
+1

Begumpet has a few good South Indian restaurants

1. Taj Mahal (Parklane)
2. Belson's Taj (My favorite)
3. Chutneys (SD Road)

But, the real flavor of south indian cuisine is from the Bandi(Thelas) which make finger licking great south indian dishes and whole city has tonnes of them but, i can give you the top 10 list...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Begumpet to Airport will take you about 75 mins in peak eve traffic. There is a Hard Rock Cafe at Banjara Hills which will be on your way. You can probably kill 1 hour there.

Finally, you can also reach the airport early and sit in the airport lounge. If I were you, I would do this to beat the stress of reaching the airport on time.
All entertaining places are in heart of the city (Banjara Hills, Jubilee Hills and Begumpet) and Airport is on the outskirts and these places are enroute to the airport

Some of my favorite places are

Hard Rock Cafe, Banjara Hills (only on Thursdays when live music happens)
Vapour, Jubilee Hills (Only on Fridays when live music happens and a regular there)
Tilt, Gachibowli (my most favorite place in town and a regular there)
Prost, JH (Amazing ambiance and a regular there)
Hoppery, JH (One of the best ambiance in town)
OTM, Gachibowli (Decent place and nothing extraordinary but, perfect place for someone going to airport as the ORR/Freeway to airport is 200 meters from OTM so zero traffic jam issues and can reach airport in exactly 30 minutes

Ping me 1-1 if you need any specific info as I'm the jhaadu (broom) of Hyderabad

Last edited by mobike008 : 21st June 2018 at 10:36.
Old 21st June 2018, 12:28   #6383
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

You got to be kidding me. Eating at the airport is the worst thing anyone can do. I would skip it completely
That is your choice.I would rather eat something when I am hungry, than go out into an unfamiliar city.

List of food options at The Hyderabad Airport:
http://www.hyderabad.aero/all-shops.aspx

Last edited by bblost : 21st June 2018 at 12:30.
Old 21st June 2018, 16:22   #6384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
That is your choice.I would rather eat something when I am hungry, than go out into an unfamiliar city.

List of food options at The Hyderabad Airport:
http://www.hyderabad.aero/all-shops.aspx
Every darn airport has the same insipid food besides being 3X times more expensive

Eating at the airport should always be the last resort and not something that comes in form of a recommendation

Last edited by GTO : 22nd June 2018 at 09:02. Reason: Cool it buddy. No need to be rude
Old 21st June 2018, 16:41   #6385
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Every darn airport has the same insipid food besides being 3X times more expensive

Eating at the airport should always be the last resort and not something that comes in form of a recommendation
He wanted to know where he can eat near the airport.
The Hyderabad airport actually has pretty decent food. Both in the food court and in the departure terminal.
Will I drive down to eat there. No.
But if I am hungry and at the airport, I do eat there.

Its good food and while its not one of the amazing Bandi's you like, they are not very bad either.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd June 2018 at 09:03. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 22nd June 2018, 02:08   #6386
BANNED

So I had breakfast at Banjara Hills Chutneys in the morning. My day ended later than I thought, so I just had a cheeseburger at Chillis (near Vengal Rao Park) in the evening & then went to the airport.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
Old 22nd June 2018, 13:02   #6387
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, as this thread has been woken up from it's death. Let me sprinkle little more life into it by sharing some of my foodie escapades

One that immediately comes to mind was yesterday's lunch at my favorite South Indian restaurant in town (Spicy Venue). Their thali never ever disappoints supported by Chapa Vepudu (Fish Fry) & Mutton Iguru (Mutton Fry-Boneless)

Have visited almost every upmarket south Indian places for thali (Karampodi, Southern Spice, Simply South etc) but, Spicy Venue is the best. Therefore, we decided not to waste our time experimenting and whenever there is an urge for a Thali (normally once every 2-3 weeks), we head straight to SV...And, ideal time we visit is for Sunday lunch because after such a grand meal, you need to crash for 2-3 hours

Their Apricot Delight is the best in town for sure (Perfect sweetness-Not too sweet nor too bland). Some even claim it's the best in country
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_1887.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_1888.jpg  

Old 22nd June 2018, 15:44   #6388
PGA
BHPian

I was scrolling through the forum timeline and came across this thread and it instantly evoked nostalgia. I was a Hyderabadi for four years in late 80's and early 90's, and everytime we won at Malakpet race course we would blow it up dining at a place called Kon Tiki, somewhere in Jubilee hills area, it used to serve Polynesian delicacies, some fish along with pineapple and some exotic sauces, we weren't fussy about authenticity as long it tasted good and could impress our guests. I was wondering if it's still around and as popular.
Old 22nd June 2018, 15:59   #6389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
I was scrolling through the forum timeline and came across this thread and it instantly evoked nostalgia. I was a Hyderabadi for four years in late 80's and early 90's, and everytime we won at Malakpet race course we would blow it up dining at a place called Kon Tiki, somewhere in Jubilee hills area, it used to serve Polynesian delicacies, some fish along with pineapple and some exotic sauces, we weren't fussy about authenticity as long it tasted good and could impress our guests. I was wondering if it's still around and as popular.
Woah! That's a long time back. I personally pride myself for knowing every single restuarant in Hyderabad (Well, almost I mean) but, never heard of Kon Tiki ever.

Hyderabad has a bustling restaurant scene and as many as 10 new restaurants open every month and as many shut down also equally fast. Infact, there was an article in TOI just this morning as everyone with money wants to get into restaurant business without knowing anything about it

Btw, Malakpet race course is still around and doing well (breaking many people's homes due to that addiction) for themselves and good to know you won as I know only people who lost
Old 22nd June 2018, 17:23   #6390
BHPian

Adding some more food/drink options:

1) Desi Bytes, near Whitefields - For people from Bihar especially (Litti Chokha). Others should taste it as well
2) 36 Anjuna Shack, Hitec - Goan food, especially their Bibinka is amazing
3) Free Flow, opposite KBR Park - Especially on Saturdays with live music. The lady who sings is amazing
4) Free Flow, opposite Cyber Towers - Train themed, good and unique options

Most Viewed