Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2018, 21:58   #6391
PGA
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Woah! That's a long time back. I personally pride myself for knowing every single restuarant in Hyderabad (Well, almost I mean) but, never heard of Kon Tiki ever.

Btw, Malakpet race course is still around and doing well (breaking many people's homes due to that addiction) for themselves and good to know you won as I know only people who lost
Maybe I have given you some 'food' for going deeper into history of restaurants at Hyderabad, It surely was a great and happening place then.

Malakpet was a crazy place, maybe its still, some races used to be rigged and if you knew insiders one would get a tip or two with a rider that you couldn't bet big, limit was 300 bucks at the most, and we would make 1000-1200 to have a good evening for ourselves and it used to be not more than once or twice in a month during the season.
Old 23rd June 2018, 10:17   #6392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
I was a Hyderabadi for four years in late 80's and early 90's, and everytime we won at Malakpet race course we would blow it up dining at a place called Kon Tiki, somewhere in Jubilee hills area, it used to serve Polynesian delicacies, some fish along with pineapple and some exotic sauces, we weren't fussy about authenticity as long it tasted good and could impress our guests. I was wondering if it's still around and as popular.

Quote:
Woah! That's a long time back. I personally pride myself for knowing every single restuarant in Hyderabad (Well, almost I mean) but, never heard of Kon Tiki ever.
Kon Tiki closed in early or mid '90s.

It was in one building on the main Road No. 1 somewhere between Road No. 12 and Road No. 13 in Banjara Hills.

It had a tie up with Hotel Banjara (now Taj Banjara) and guests of the hotel could sign their F&B bill which would get added to the hotel bill and would become payable at check out . A boon for corporate guests.

Food was no great shakes but they used to make some very mean Hawain cocktails, like in coconut shell or in a scooped out pineapple.

I had been on dates a few times there including one where my sister & BIL met up with my present (and only ever) wife.
Old 24th June 2018, 07:07   #6393
HPP
BHPian

My wife and kids are there now, and I'm scheduled for late July and August in Hyd. Came here to get an update on what's new and good to put on my eating list! Not much activity here unfortunately.

That being said, SV from below sounds like a winner. Thanks mobike008.

If there is anything else I should try, please let me know!

Quote:
Well, as this thread has been woken up from it's death. Let me sprinkle little more life into it by sharing some of my foodie escapades

One that immediately comes to mind was yesterday's lunch at my favorite South Indian restaurant in town (Spicy Venue). Their thali never ever disappoints supported by Chapa Vepudu (Fish Fry) & Mutton Iguru (Mutton Fry-Boneless)

Have visited almost every upmarket south Indian places for thali (Karampodi, Southern Spice, Simply South etc) but, Spicy Venue is the best. Therefore, we decided not to waste our time experimenting and whenever there is an urge for a Thali (normally once every 2-3 weeks), we head straight to SV...And, ideal time we visit is for Sunday lunch because after such a grand meal, you need to crash for 2-3 hours

Their Apricot Delight is the best in town for sure (Perfect sweetness-Not too sweet nor too bland). Some even claim it's the best in country
Old 25th June 2018, 05:55   #6394
BHPian

So this is going to be my first visit to Hyderabad. I have free time from 11:30am till 4pm to be anywhere in Hyderabad/Secunderabad to taste some awesome biryani. Please, someone suggest what's that one fantastic meal that I can have? I can in fact go to two places as I have a colleague with me who can share food, in order to experience more.

There is a list of Legendary places on Zomato, but I don't know if it can be trusted.

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th June 2018, 06:47   #6395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Please, someone suggest what's that one fantastic meal that I can have? I can in fact go to two places as I have a colleague with me who can share food, in order to experience more.

Try the Jewel of Nizam at the Golkonda resort. They give you a 6 course meal. You can sample most of the stuff. My experience there was awesome.

https://maps.google.com/?q=jewel%20o...%20the%20minar
Old 26th June 2018, 14:14   #6396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPP View Post
That being said, SV from below sounds like a winner. Thanks mobike008
For a Thali meal with Non-veg sides, look no further than Spicy Venue

Quote:
If there is anything else I should try, please let me know!
For authentic Dhaba style north indian food ildar (Madhapur)

Give Kobe Sizzlers a miss as 100 Degree is still the best sizzler in town

Serengeti (By Ohris) is still one of our favorite place both for ambiance and excellent non veg food

Dont miss the live performance of Threory on Fridays or Saturdays at Vapour. Excellent fusion music (English & Hindi) and the place is jam packed and will give you a nice party feeling (if you are into that type of a thing)

Visit Hoppery for a lovely outdoor ambiance. Best time to visit is on a Sunday afternoon or late evenings

Tilt at Gachibowli. One of my favorite places and visit almost once a week. I love their deviled eggs

Hosted a 25-member Team BHPians party at home last weekend and all food came from Nizam Club. Below was the menu

Nargisi Kofte
Shammi Kebabs
Chicken 65
Chicken Korma
Veg Bullets
Cut Mirchi
Mutton Dalcha
Palak Paneer
Veg Kofta Curry
Mutton Biryani
Veg Biryani
Phirni
Bon-Bon

Each and every item was simply outstanding and it reinstated my faith back in Nizam club. Their food is truly one of it's kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
So this is going to be my first visit to Hyderabad. I have free time from 11:30am till 4pm to be anywhere in Hyderabad/Secunderabad to taste some awesome biryani. Please, someone suggest what's that one fantastic meal that I can have? I can in fact go to two places as I have a colleague with me who can share food, in order to experience more.

There is a list of Legendary places on Zomato, but I don't know if it can be trusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Try the Jewel of Nizam at the Golkonda resort. They give you a 6 course meal. You can sample most of the stuff. My experience there was awesome.

https://maps.google.com/?q=jewel%20o...%20the%20minar

Dont trust Zomato too much. As Arjun mentioned, best place to sample is JON but, they are darn expensive.

6-Course Plated meal will set you back by 2K

Some of the must places to visit for authentic mughlai food and biryani are

Paradise (Paradise, Gachibowli and IMAX Theatre) other outlets arent that great. Dont forget to try their Murg Mussallum
Cafe Bahar (one of the best biryani's in town)
Shaghouz

I can go on and on for some lip smacking food but, the above should suffice for your short visit
Old 26th June 2018, 16:29   #6397
BHPian

Hey,

- I simply love the biryani's at 4 Seasons and Shah Ghouse (both at Tolichowki). While the latter is more famous for it's Chicken and Mutton variants, 4 Seasons' Veg Biryani is equally great. The aroma and taste is unparalleled.
- Paradise I believe lost the magic touch years back. Ditto with Bawarchi. Early 2000's was the first time I tasted the biryani's at those two famous restaurants. Back then they lived up to the hype. Not anymore.
- Alpha (opp. Secunderabad Station) is inconsistent.
- Cafe Bahar, especially the one at Basheerbagh, is good.
- Surprisingly cheap ripoff's like Green Bawarchi also sometimes serve some lip-smacking editions. You need to be lucky to get one though.

PS: I am not associated to any of these restaurants. Just a personal opinion.
Old 26th June 2018, 16:57   #6398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Mutton Dalcha

Each and every item was simply outstanding and it reinstated my faith back in Nizam club. Their food is truly one of it's kind.

Thanks for an awesome list. I visit Hyderabad often and would love to sample the places you have mentioned.

Mutton Dalcha was something I tried for the first time a few years ago, it was at Palamuru Grill. Cannot remember the location though. It was awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
Hey,

- I simply love the biryani's at 4 Seasons and Shah Ghouse (both at Tolichowki). While the latter is more famous for it's Chicken and Mutton variants, 4 Seasons' Veg Biryani is equally great. The aroma and taste is unparalleled.
- Paradise I believe lost the magic touch years back. Ditto with Bawarchi.

Agree with you. Somehow Paradise now feels overrated. Though I still love their Kubhani ka meetha.

I did not much care for the 4 seasons biryani at Hitec but their old outlet used to be amazing.

I kind of enjoy the Green Chilli Biriyani at Rayalaseema Ruchulu as well. The Gongura Mutton is another favourite of mine.

Spicy Venue is a favourite for their thali.
Old 26th June 2018, 17:55   #6399
BHPian

Quote:
For biryani, be it chicken or mutton or veg, tops is Cafe Bahar. At Hyderguda near Basheerbagh. They do not have any branches. All others are mis-using the name or using similiarly sounding names like Bahar Cafe.
A plate of Double-Chicken Biryani contains half a chicken and enough rice for 2 people and costs below 300.
A plate of Double-Mutton Biryani also is below 300 and contains melt in the mouth 12 mediumish-small pieces mutton just enough for 2 average eaters but enough rice for 2 people.
Veg Biryani for 100 is good enough for 2 people.
If wanting to take as parcel by air, the biryanis easily last 6/7 hours if purchased last minute else use my formula, I buy at lunch time, allow it to cool to room temp by 5/6 pm, freeze it and carry frozen next day which increases shelf life to 8 hours. You need to specify while taking parcel that you want airline packing so that they do not put egg, onions and water (called raita which we anyway never consume) and they seal salan in a separate aluminium foil.
By the way, Cafe Bahar won the Times Award 2018 for best Biryani in Hyderabad.
Old 27th June 2018, 08:21   #6400
HPP
BHPian

Now the thread is moving again! Thanks everyone for the latest suggestions. I'm going to copy/paste and send to my nephews and bro-in-law.

Quote:
For a Thali meal with Non-veg sides, look no further than Spicy Venue
This list is great Mobike! Thanks again!

We did JON last trip, was very tasty, but yes, on the expensive side. Worth it for that special occasion or random splurge.

I'm looking forward to the usual Hyd foods, plus Indo-Chinese and some Dhaba food!.. On top of the inevitable weddings and associated food.

Last edited by ampere : 27th June 2018 at 08:54. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 27th June 2018, 08:41   #6401
BHPian

Quote:
We did JON last trip, was very tasty, but yes, on the expensive side. Worth it for that special occasion or random splurge.
VFM alternative to JON is ZeH.

Zaika-e-Hyderabad is located very close to TV9 office and Road No. 3 Mosque in Banjara Hills.

It is a small place and fills up fast so lunch @ 1 and dinner @ 8 is safer unless you have booked a table in advance.
Old 28th June 2018, 04:00   #6402
HPP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post

Zaika-e-Hyderabad is located very close to TV9 office and Road No. 3 Mosque in Banjara Hills.

It is a small place and fills up fast so lunch @ 1 and dinner @ 8 is safer unless you have booked a table in advance.
Good to know! Thank you! Never been there.
Old 29th June 2018, 13:08   #6403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey,

- Paradise I believe lost the magic touch years back. Ditto with Bawarchi. Early 2000's was the first time I tasted the biryani's at those two famous restaurants. Back then they lived up to the hype. Not anymore.
- Alpha (opp. Secunderabad Station) is inconsistent.
- Surprisingly cheap ripoff's like Green Bawarchi also sometimes serve some lip-smacking editions. You need to be lucky to get one though.

PS: I am not associated to any of these restaurants. Just a personal opinion.
Hyderabad is a land of biryani and I enjoy biryani in most places as my firm belief is in Hyderabad everyone makes a good biryani (authentic style not the multiple variants we get these days)

I had 4 Seasons Biryani a few times (Mall & Airport) and totally loved the aroma and taste that you mentioned and also found them to be consistent. Never visited their restaurant at Tolichowki as I personally dont find it family friendly

Now i dont know if you remember "Mandar" in the same compound in Tolichowki. They also used to make a mean biryani

Paradise is now quoted by people that it is a biryani meant for "Tourists" to Hyderabad. I simply wont agree with that. Paradise was and is still one of the best places to enjoy a biryani

Trick is to be there during the right time and not at odd hours as you know they serve people in masses

Show me one biryani in Hyderabad that has meat which just melts in your fingers like they serve in paradise (not a single place I can think of). Most places have large chunk of hard meat and many of them serve unrecognizable pieces. I get turned off with such bad meat in an otherwise excellent biryani

Alpha. Just hype and no show. I prefer Grand Hotel at Abids to them

There are tonnes of old school biryani houses which are still reasonably good

Bawarchi
Astoria
Blue Fox
Mohinis....etc

Cafe Bahar biryani is excellent. Long grained rice and good mutton pieces (not excellent like Paradise)

It's been a long time I tried Shah Ghouse so cannot comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Thanks for an awesome list. I visit Hyderabad often and would love to sample the places you have mentioned.

Mutton Dalcha was something I tried for the first time a few years ago, it was at Palamuru Grill. Cannot remember the location though. It was awesome.

Agree with you. Somehow Paradise now feels overrated. Though I still love their Kubhani ka meetha.

I did not much care for the 4 seasons biryani at Hitec but their old outlet used to be amazing.

I kind of enjoy the Green Chilli Biriyani at Rayalaseema Ruchulu as well. The Gongura Mutton is another favourite of mine.

Spicy Venue is a favourite for their thali.
Try Murg Mussallum at Paradise. Remember they dont give it for take-away. It has to be had only there

Our order at Paradise is standard

Murg Mussallum with Rotis
Mutton Biryani
Thumbs Up

What a frickin' satisfying meal

Quote:
For biryani, be it chicken or mutton or veg, tops is Cafe Bahar. At Hyderguda near Basheerbagh. They do not have any branches. All others are mis-using the name or using similiarly sounding names like Bahar Cafe.
A plate of Double-Chicken Biryani contains half a chicken and enough rice for 2 people and costs below 300.
A plate of Double-Mutton Biryani also is below 300 and contains melt in the mouth 12 mediumish-small pieces mutton just enough for 2 average eaters but enough rice for 2 people.
Veg Biryani for 100 is good enough for 2 people.
If wanting to take as parcel by air, the biryanis easily last 6/7 hours if purchased last minute else use my formula, I buy at lunch time, allow it to cool to room temp by 5/6 pm, freeze it and carry frozen next day which increases shelf life to 8 hours. You need to specify while taking parcel that you want airline packing so that they do not put egg, onions and water (called raita which we anyway never consume) and they seal salan in a separate aluminium foil.
By the way, Cafe Bahar won the Times Award 2018 for best Biryani in Hyderabad.
Now that is some details Bajaj Sa'ab....Who else but, you can go into it

Totally agree and Cafe Bahar is wonderful for their biryani. I dont know if i tried anything else there but, dont remember any fond memories of it despite my home being so close to them

Quote:
I'm looking forward to the usual Hyd foods, plus Indo-Chinese and some Dhaba food!.. On top of the inevitable weddings and associated food.
Chinese for me the buck stops at "Ming Court" at Basheerbagh. Amazing quality, quantity, nice ambience and great service. We have been going there for years and they never disappointed us

Quote:

Zaika-e-Hyderabad is located very close to TV9 office and Road No. 3 Mosque in Banjara Hills.It is a small place and fills up fast so lunch @ 1 and dinner @ 8 is safer unless you have booked a table in advance.
How the heck did i miss talking about ZEH. I have been here a few times and one of those times ran up a horrendously high bill as they are not cheap

They serve some mean

Haleem
Shammi Kebabs
Dalcha
Ghosth Fry
Boti and Sheek kebabs
Biryani

There was one dessert I ate there I dont remember. I thought I will go into a coma.(LOL)..it was sweet and super delicious.....Dont remember the name

Totally worth a visit
Old 1st July 2018, 11:53   #6404
HPP
BHPian

Quote:
I had 4 Seasons Biryani a few times (Mall & Airport) and totally loved the aroma and taste that you mentioned and also found them to be consistent. Never visited their restaurant at Tolichowki as I personally dont find it family friendly

Now i dont know if you remember "Mandar" in the same compound in Tolichowki. They also used to make a mean biryani
Regarding the "family friendly" comment about the compound/food court, that is very unfortunate. I've heard the same from my nephew. We are trying to work on that. But sitting abroad, we have less control than those who are local(everyone is busy with life/other projects). I/we hope this changes over time. I'd love to get feedback from this group over time to see if progress is being made, or not at all..

Quote:
Chinese for me the buck stops at "Ming Court" at Basheerbagh. Amazing quality, quantity, nice ambience and great service. We have been going there for years and they never disappointed us
You and I are on the same page. We've been going since the beginning, and it's my number 1. Aromas is probably my second, and there are a few more that fill out the next spots.
Old 1st July 2018, 19:28   #6405
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the "family friendly" comment about the compound/food court, that is very unfortunate. I've heard the same from my nephew. We are trying to work on that. But sitting abroad, we have less control than those who are local(everyone is busy with life/other projects). I/we hope this changes over time. I'd love to get feedback from this group over time to see if progress is being made, or not at all.

You and I are on the same page. We've been going since the beginning, and it's my number 1. Aromas is probably my second, and there are a few more that fill out the next spots.
I don't recollect the compound feeling family-un-friendly. Though it has been near 2 years since my last visit. 4 Seasons there never measured up to my expectations ever. My visits are/were restricted to Ice & Spice for muttabaq.

Aromas ? Do you mean Aromas of China in City Center ?
Food is a disaster there. I have been disappointed time and again in past 2 years now. In March, I rejected the spring rolls dish. The chef personally came out and said by way of excuse that it is due to they using French spring roll sheets. Imagine that! Even an Udupi Tiffin Centre would serve better spring rolls.
All outlets of BJN group have gone from bad to worse, actually worst.
They closed down IndiJoe long back. Recently, they renamed Firangi Paani as IndiJoe but with FP menu. As if it was not enough mockery, they stopped AOC's weekday lunch buffet and have started serving a Chinese lunch buffet in IndiJoe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks