Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2008, 14:27   #16
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm... Sindh is it?! I think when they opened up there used to be a guy there who used to narrate the history and geography of NWFP. He used to tell about how 'Sahib Singh Sultan' was a noble man during the days of yore... blah blah... That is how I got the name. At least twice I heard that narrative. Or is it that he used to say Sindh and I used to hear Singh?! You have added an element of doubt in my mind now!

Avi, you were not? Kya keh rahaa hai?! :o Ok... ab yeh baat gaantth baandh le dimag mein... Any, and I mean any (including the pubs, yes, pubs), Ohri's group property gives a fab discount to your org... just carry your ID card the next time you go there. For Ming's IIRC its 15-20% discount on total bill (depending on the season). Even the Outswinger pub doles out a 10% discount on the bill and that includes the hard drinks consumed.
Old 11th September 2008, 14:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Opps, didn't know that. So all this while i was paying through my nose for the lovely food that i have there.
Guys, do you know anyone who prints visiting cards of Satyam,with the emblem, et al? I'd surely like to avail that yummy offer in Ming's Court.
Old 11th September 2008, 14:47   #18
Team-BHP Support

Visiting cards don't work. Earlier they used to take that but stopped it long since. They expect you to carry your ID card with you to avail such offers. As a matter of fact the same kind of discounts are also available at many other such places if you carry the ID.
Old 11th September 2008, 15:04   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Visiting cards don't work. Earlier they used to take that but stopped it long since. They expect you to carry your ID card with you to avail such offers. As a matter of fact the same kind of discounts are also available at many other such places if you carry the ID.
Man, your tempting me. Now, i am going to bug you to PM me a list of those joints with approx discounts, so i can start venturing out to them one after the other armed with my ID Card

And, one fine day, when i am bankrupt/grossly overweight, then you are to be blamed
Old 11th September 2008, 15:15   #20
Team-BHP Support

Don't bother about being overweight. Or if that suits your fancy look at saving elsewhere rather than at eateries and restaurants.

Let me give you an example. If you wish to take a Airtel BB connection as per their current rules they will charge you Rs.500 installation, Rs.500 for security deposit or something and Rs.500 (or the plan charges, I am not sure) as advance rental. Now, tell them that you are from XYZ org and they are not supposed to be charging you all these (tell them that Airtel Enterprise Services guys told you so, if you so need). And poof. All of a sudden they will waive all that money. They will seek your ID card's photocopy (front and back) and a few other proofs with a photo and the installation would be done without paying a penny.

That sounds better to you? No chances of getting overweight now.
Old 11th September 2008, 15:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
there used to be a guy there who used to narrate the history and geography of NWFP. He used to tell about how 'Sahib Singh Sultan' was a noble man during the days of yore.
Zappo, if you don't mind me saying so, you've either not been there, or your friends there played a prank on you. Even the website clearly mentions its about trains - Sahib, Sindh and Sultan were the first three locomotives in the Thane run.

The Hindu Business Line : A gourmet's odyssey
Old 11th September 2008, 16:06   #22
Team-BHP Support

Uhuh! I saw that guy on two occassions in the very early days when they just started out (I think that was about 1.5-2 years back?!). They used to let know a lot of history of NWFP and it used to be a part of that. Of course everything used to be part of folklore kinds...

Now, I do not know if they have changed their story since then. My only confusion is that whether that guy used to say Saheb Singh or Saheb Sindh.

And about my being there let it suffice to say that I have been there more times than you would have mate.

EDIT: Are you saying one of my friends was dressed in that achkan and pheta and all?! i don't think so.

Last edited by Zappo : 11th September 2008 at 16:11.
Old 11th September 2008, 16:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, looks like I need to take prospective jobs in Satyam seriously now, instead of cold-shouldering those HR guys.
Old 11th September 2008, 16:15   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Let me give you an example. If you wish to take a Airtel BB connection as per their current rules they will charge you Rs.500 installation, Rs.500 for security deposit or something and Rs.500 (or the plan charges, I am not sure) as advance rental. Now, tell them that you are from XYZ org and they are not supposed to be charging you all these (tell them that Airtel Enterprise Services guys told you so, if you so need). And poof. All of a sudden they will waive all that money. They will seek your ID card's photocopy (front and back) and a few other proofs with a photo and the installation would be done without paying a penny.
I used the same ploy when availing my current Airtel BB connection.

Between, when i was in Hyderabad, my Infy ID card used to get me quite a few corporate discounts. Notable among them being Olive Garden (HiTech city), and also one particular jeweller opposite Hyd Central mall, of which i dont remember the name.

I used to love the ambience at Ohri's (Road no 12, BHills).
Old 11th September 2008, 16:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Ambience wise, nothing comes close to Zafraan Exotica on Rd # 12. It is the favourite joint for our team parties when the US folks visit us. In our last visit, the guests in the place also included VVS Laxman and Karunya!
Old 11th September 2008, 16:38   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Ambience wise, nothing comes close to Zafraan Exotica on Rd # 12. It is the favourite joint for our team parties when the US folks visit us. In our last visit, the guests in the place also included VVS Laxman and Karunya!
I agree, its got great ambience. But, the favorite joint that i take my phirangi folks is Fusion 9. Nothing to beat that place as these phirangi's want phirangi food even when they are here.

Infact, all my Italian colleagues love this place so much, they insist on going only there and not try any new places.

If you want to see celebrities, then it has to be Touch ( now closed for renovation) and F-bar. I used to go regularly to Touch and each saturday 80% of tollywood filmstars are rubbing shoulders with you
Old 11th September 2008, 17:17   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you want to see celebrities, then it has to be Touch ( now closed for renovation) and F-bar. I used to go regularly to Touch and each saturday 80% of tollywood filmstars are rubbing shoulders with you
Touch is definitely the place to catch a glimpse of Tollywood celebs.
During one of my visits there, got to see the man himself - Nagarjuna.
Old 11th September 2008, 18:08   #28
BHPian

oho! my favourite topic, apart from movies and cars!

My faves -

Punjabi/N.Indian -

Mainstream- Angeethi, Tandoor, Utsav (Veg), Sahib Sindh Sultan, Ohri's Gufaa, Ohri's Tadka, Zaafran Exotica

Off the beaten track - Sher-e-Punjab Dhaba at Sikh Road (Amazing food, low price! i love their makki-di-roti and sarson da saag), Needs Dhaba (street behind Lifestyle, beyond St.Francis), Santosh Dhaba - veg (Abids), Pariwar Dhaba (ring road after zoo park), the Baisakhi Dhaba (Medchal-Nagpur highway).

Biryani - Paradise, Bahaar (Hyderguda), Mohini (Basheerbagh), Shadaab, Nayaab, Niagara...In Hyderabad, you are spoilt for choice - everyone has his/her own favourite biryani joint! one of the best is at Nizam Club, if you are a member or are lucky enough to know one!

Andhra - Spicy Venue (Jubilee hills Rd#10), Southern Mirchi, many messes dotting secunderabad and hitech city area.

...more later...
Old 11th September 2008, 18:10   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Touch is definitely the place to catch a glimpse of Tollywood celebs.
During one of my visits there, got to see the man himself - Nagarjuna.
yup, he is there sometimes not very regular though. The regular folks are Raja, Navadeep, Rana, Puri Jagannath ( Director), Sumanth, Allu Arjun and the other guy who is the shy type with light eyes ( who was supposed to marry chiranjeevi's daughter and then backed out), not able to recall his name.

A couple of weeks before it closed, i happened to be there and guess who was partying there? That dame from "The Train" Emraan Hashmi movie, Anjali Bhagat.

I happened to have been in a fist-fight with the man himself ( Nagarjuna) about 6-7 years ago during the Dandiya/Navratri festival. We both rained blows on each other. I almost went behind bars even if the fault was his, but then i pulled my connections to get away from that situation.

I don't want to go into details here

Btw, he is one of the rudest person on the face of this earth.

Last edited by mobike008 : 11th September 2008 at 18:17. Reason: corrected spelling of Sumanth
Old 11th September 2008, 21:56   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I happened to have been in a fist-fight with the man himself ( Nagarjuna) about 6-7 years ago during the Dandiya/Navratri festival. We both rained blows on each other.
OFF TOPIC
Err.. which movie did you say this was?

Jokes apart, I have no idea of his personal life and qualities.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks