Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2008, 08:28   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
OFF TOPIC
Err.. which movie did you say this was?
The movie was called " Crossing paths with a villian"

Seriously, it was no joke. And, definetly not a pleasant experience as he was drunk out of his mind and that happened right outside a PS. Also, the friend who was with me that night had a similar experience ( not fist fight but heated debate) with him just a few weeks later at ITC Grand Kakatiya.

You know for what? Supposedly staring at him while he was sitting a few tables away.

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th September 2008 at 08:35.
Old 12th September 2008, 12:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I happened to have been in a fist-fight with the man himself ( Nagarjuna) about 6-7 years ago during the Dandiya/Navratri festival. We both rained blows on each other. I almost went behind bars even if the fault was his, but then i pulled my connections to get away from that situation.

I don't want to go into details here

Btw, he is one of the rudest person on the face of this earth.
Wow, you slammed him!! Wanna hear more of this in the evening's booze meet.
Old 12th September 2008, 13:54   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Wow, you slammed him!! Wanna hear more of this in the evening's booze meet.
Sure, a very detailed description awaits you and other guys this evening

Now, lets get our focus back on the good eateries of hyderabad. There is so much more to experiment in good food in hyderabad
Old 12th September 2008, 16:34   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anybody tried the famous " Pragathi Idlis". This outlet is nearby to the papaji-ka-dabha and is outside Pragati College, hence the name. I have never seen so much crowd for a street vendor as i have seen for this outlet.

I am a customer of their idlis from over 15 years and their idli's are the most fluffiest and their chutney the best ever in town ( beating the likes of Chutney's and Minerva also, IMO) but, then it's only flipside is its roadside.

Most sundays, i go there and they serve it in the car. Like me, there are several families eating in similar fashion.

I must mention their special dosa too. Real yummy, re-defintion of crispiness, upma in dosa, loaded with onions and mind boggling pricing.

Idli : Now, its Rs.10/Plate. They use to charge Rs.3/Plate till about 3 years ago.
Dosa: Now, its Rs.20/Plate. They use to charge Rs.10/plate till about 3 years ago.

If your not finnicy about eating roadside stuff, this place is highly recommended for a sunday morning breakfast. But, be prepared for a long wait as there will be hundreds others too thronging this place.
Old 12th September 2008, 17:00   #35
Team-BHP Support

I do not know about Pragati Idlis but Avi at that kind of prices I can suggest a far better place in ambience and yet an unbeatable taste. Opposite to the HHT in Karkhana there is a place called Sandarshini.

Just try out their Dosas (and other assorted snacks) made in Amul Butter. Yummm... the flavor is just so heavenly. And the cost is not very different from this. It may be a few bucks more, say 23 or 25 etc depending on the Dosa chosen but its worth the price seating in such a nice ambience.
Old 12th September 2008, 17:35   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I do not know about Pragati Idlis but Avi at that kind of prices I can suggest a far better place in ambience and yet an unbeatable taste. Opposite to the HHT in Karkhana there is a place called Sandarshini.

Just try out their Dosas (and other assorted snacks) made in Amul Butter. Yummm... the flavor is just so heavenly. And the cost is not very different from this. It may be a few bucks more, say 23 or 25 etc depending on the Dosa chosen but its worth the price seating in such a nice ambience.
Great, i will try that out when i am next in Kharkhana? What is HHT? What's the exact location? Any pointers to landmarks?
Old 12th September 2008, 17:37   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Has anybody tried the famous " Pragathi Idlis". This outlet is nearby to the papaji-ka-dabha and is outside Pragati College, hence the name. I have never seen so much crowd for a street vendor as i have seen for this outlet.
Directions please? I don't even know where Pragati College is
Old 12th September 2008, 17:47   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Directions please? I don't even know where Pragati College is
If your in Abids near Big Bazaar, go little ahead, take the first left lane and keep going, you will find papaji ka dhaba ( While going back, can stop here for lunch) on your left and go ahead and take a right and immediate left and you will find pragati idlis on your right.

Infact, on a sunday that entire lane is full of people and they have 3-4 counters every 15-20 feet to each other.

I typically eat from the first counter.
Old 12th September 2008, 20:52   #39
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Talking about Hyderabad food joints & their specials but no mention of "Pathar ka gosht"?

Ok i am ex-hyderabadi, hence dont know many of the restaurants that you guys mentioned. Let me post my experiences from the past:

In Panjagutta junction opposite Hyderabad Central mall on the road leading to Banajara hills, left side you will find a small eatery (its Y2K or something). I love the Hyderabadi dum biryani and other tandoor items. But the best dish of this place is "Pathar ka Gosht" (Mutton grilled on a hot rock). It takes lot of time to prepare. But it will be worth all that wait.

Biryani: Bawarchi used be best in my days but now i dunno. Some old names for Biryani Astoria, Cafe milli & Paradise. Hyderabad house IMO is ok types.

Vegeterian meals: Try Gayathribhavan in Himayatnagar. Its typical Udupi style all you can eat veg thali. I love their thali and used frequent this place.

Andhra Style: Spice King Opposite Minerva restaurant in Himayatnagar. Try Natu kodi pulusu with steamed rice, yummy.

Blue moon restuarant above Minerva resturant has got some good Kashmiri dishes.

Copper Chimney in Hyderabad central mall is good for Sindhi dishes.

And then there are numerous Andhra restuarants which have their own flavors of Biryani.

Haleem: i love this Ramazan special. I ate from many places and i liked it everywhere.

Gosh...i miss Hyderabad, its people, its food.

Cheers!
Vaspro
Old 12th September 2008, 22:30   #40
BHPian

discovered an outlet for heavenly haleem today - easily one of the best ever!

its at Hyderabad Kabab Corner. its in the area that lies in between the Indo-American Cancer Hospital (Jubilee Hills) and Road No 10 Banjara Hills (when you go towards Our Place and City Center from the cancer hospital roundabout). This is the first shop on the left.

i am hooked to its haleem!
Old 12th September 2008, 22:32   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
Hi Guys,
Talking about Hyderabad food joints & their specials but no mention of "Pathar ka gosht"?

Cheers!
Vaspro

Maxs Kitchen at MehdiPatnam. You need to cross the Foodworld junction and continue towards ToliChowki. Less than 2 kms on the RHS.
There are a couple of restaurants in this complex.
Max serves very good Pather Ka Ghosh. Good ambiance and nice food.
In this same complex is Four Seasons. Lebanese food. Try out the Khumus. Its excellent and is a type of biryani served with boiled meat. Also get good Humous with Pita bread. There is a Chicken kabeb dish some Arabian name. Excellent melt in your mouth morsels.

You also have a Baskin and Robbins in this complex.

There is a Mediterranean restaurant above Max. I did not like it. But been there only once. The tuna salad was horrible and has kept me away from them for almost 1.5 years now.

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!
Old 13th September 2008, 00:11   #42
Team-BHP Support

There was this roadside cart which used to serve the Indo-Chinese dishes (fried rice, chicken 65,etc) on BHills Road no 12, near MLA colony, IIRC. During my jobless days in Hyderabad, my friend used to treat us at that place. Used to be open till 10:30 PM, and so was ideal for a slightly late snack/dinner. Not sure if the place still exists, or has closed down. Used to taste really good!
Old 13th September 2008, 01:35   #43
BHPian

Alhamdullah in Dhoolpet is one of the famous restraunts/cafe that has been around for a very long time. They serve beef biryani which they are famous for. It's definately a hole in the wall but all together a great hyderabadi experience.
Old 13th September 2008, 01:38   #44
BHPian

Was for a year plus a month in HYD, used to stay at Basheer Bagh, (Avanti Nagar), Best food in my categorization is as follows.

1) ITC Grand Kakatiya, - the biryani is to die for. so is the kababs, if you ask for the special kababs they serve it to you during buffet times, you need to know them for this.
2) Pathar ke kababs or something like this at the Secundrabad club AWESOME STUFF.v v cheap, only thing is either you need to be a member/reciprocal member or a person introduced by a club member.
3) Angeethi - great food, always waiting, near Taj Banjara, no doubts, could always satisfy a northerner's palate.
4) There's this place opp the bridge at Lakdikapul station next to a 3star hotel Central Court, serves tiffin, very good idlis and filter coffee.
5) Mings as already described at Basheer Bagh for chinese,
6) Mid night buffet Haleem at Green Park with the biryani and the sheermal. good stuff for a late night place.
7) Taj Hotel (Koti) for a thali, very good vegetarian, the chinese dishes during the thali meals are yum.
8) Authentic chinese at a place opp JV park, this chinese restaurant is in the basement, but great place next to a pub. Good food.
9) Taj Krishna - great midnight food - Club sandwiches etc
10) Some say this but i dont relish sambhar rice, however the kheema biryani and the dal fry are good - at this hotel next to the police commissioner' office in Hyderabad. Opp kanakadurga temple Basheer Bagh.
11) Grill room - this is oppo angeethi- Road No 1, Banjara hills.

Donno much about madhapur - there are hardly any eating joints there.

Very peaceful place to work and live, if you are a hyderabadi, my heart will always go out to you, great city, great people to work with and an awesome place where both the old and the new co exist in harmony.

This is a Bombayite's take on Hyderabad, so if some of you don't find your fav places here guys, i hardly had time to leave office, if i was at these places it was more or less entertaining clients or trying to eat lunch at dinner time :-)
Old 13th September 2008, 13:14   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
Blue moon restuarant above Minerva resturant has got some good Kashmiri dishes.
That's "Blue Fox" and yes, they serve awesome food. They are located in Himayathnagar close to my home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
discovered an outlet for heavenly haleem today - easily one of the best ever!

its at Hyderabad Kabab Corner. its in the area that lies in between the Indo-American Cancer Hospital (Jubilee Hills) and Road No 10 Banjara Hills (when you go towards Our Place and City Center from the cancer hospital roundabout). This is the first shop on the left.

i am hooked to its haleem!
Thanks for this pointer, i take this route daily. will try this out early next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
There is a Mediterranean restaurant above Max. I did not like it. But been there only once. The tuna salad was horrible and has kept me away from them for almost 1.5 years now.
Imran, i like only one dish in Mediterranean. The "Chicken Casserole", try that out, it is out of this world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Was for a year plus a month in HYD, used to stay at Basheer Bagh, (Avanti Nagar), Best food in my categorization is as follows.
10) Some say this but i dont relish sambhar rice, however the kheema biryani and the dal fry are good - at this hotel next to the police commissioner' office in Hyderabad. Opp kanakadurga temple Basheer Bagh.
Man, awesome. A Bombay guy talking about things most hyderabadi's dont know

Avanti Nagar got some of the most wonderful houses in Hyderabad. But, then it is all Agarwal community or Politicians houses.

The place your mentioning is "Mega City". I am a regular there, and the BEST SAMBAR RICE in the city. Guys, do try this out and i can guarantee you will get addicted to it. But, it comes at a little steep price. Rs.110/ a plate. I never order anything else when i am here. It is only sambhar rice. It is almost like standard dish on each table. And, mind you it is not available for lunch. It is there only to follow through your liquor

Most Viewed