Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2008, 15:02   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Mobike not that you might not be aware of this but a typical serving of Haleem is in the range of 300 to 400 calories. Plus none of these are good fat content.
Most places to save on money use animal fat instead of vegetable oils.
Even when its advertised as pure ghee.
The reason is meat as such contains a lot of fat attached to it. This is not removed before the meat is added to the dish.

I am not the fittest guy and only want to tell you this.
Take Care.
The Hindu : Metro Plus Hyderabad / Food : Calorie check
Buddy, i know that very well. But, then like most people i am slave of my tongue

Don't misunderstand me that i'am gobbling down tons and tons of that fatty substance, i am absolutely in synch with the calorie mantra and i love doing everything but with limitations, that include my ciggie and alcohol intake too.

Besides, i have various other means of compensating the high calorie intake too ( jog in the morning, many times i go without lunch and no dinner after a bowl of haleem et. all)

In any case, thanks for your concern!!!
Old 20th September 2008, 02:09   #107
Ali
BHPian

Haleem & Biryani!!

Any one tried Haleem in any of the Old City Hotels??

Shah Ghouse,Shadab to name a Few.They are very tasty and the meat is pure.Also,it also has a very few spices.Which makes it a delicious.

Biryani,Again would like to go to Old City.Shadab and Ajwa,These places are the best.Bahar can be considered to an Extent.

Again,The taste depends on the time you pick it up.If its late you get it full of Oil and tasteless.8-9Pm is the best time.
Old 20th September 2008, 10:38   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ali, i think we met outside Mischief? Good to meet you. Look forward to more active participation on Hyderabad forum atleast

Going to old city during this festival season is un-thinkable as its terribly crowded. Though my mom loves the atmosphere in Charminar area so we go one day during this season, late in the night after 11pm or 12am.

We park the car at naya pul and we walk the entire stretch until the charminar monument and come back. It is really nice to see streets are shoulder-to-shoulder crowded and everyone happily,excitingly shopping so late in the night. We can easily think it is 6pm in the evening

I do know the oldies like Shadad, Aadab,Niagra serve good food. There was a time we used to visit "Asian" @ Nampally for super late night biryani. I think it crumpled down over time!
Old 20th September 2008, 11:50   #109
Senior - BHPian

hi avi,
yesterday we tried the Haleem at Mischeif. Though the taste was good, i felt it was a bit high on the Garam Masala!!!! At 50 bugs its a VFM (but lets hope they are not using the animal fat instead of ghee)

@ali, good idea. And avi, as you are also familiar with the old city places how about one late night special Haleem at one of these. Yes I would like to see the original Hyderabad in Festive mood!!!
Old 20th September 2008, 18:55   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
And avi, as you are also familiar with the old city places how about one late night special Haleem at one of these. Yes I would like to see the original Hyderabad in Festive mood!!!
I am game anytime you guys are? I am open the coming tuesday after 10pm..have calls until then. Or, Thursday late night...Just let me know when you want to do it!
Old 21st September 2008, 00:57   #111
BHPian

last week i had the worst haleem in the world at the Marriot

tasted and felt almost like pizza cheese...and when the bill arrived, it was called some "Changezi Raan"....how dare they claim it to be haleem?!!? i am in half a mind to sue their a**es off!

anyone looking for Haleem, please try Hyderabad Kebab Corner. its at Zohra Nagar that comes on the route from Indo-American Cancer Hospital (Jubilee Hills) to City Center (via Rd#10). its amazing and spicy! the "Special" Haleem (65/-) comes topped with lotsa fried nuts, a boiled egg and a bone, apart from lots of fried onions!!....
mods, there has to be "drool" smiley available! we can use it for cars too!

about chinese, try Chin Ling. it a small place on the first floor of a building (Bakers Inn) near the erstwhile Sangeet Cinema in sec'bad. low cost food and very tasty. but i have been there last about 5 years ago and i dont know how the food there tastes now.

for "authentic" chinese dishes, one place that comes to mind is Haiking at Himayatnagar. its said to be the oldest chinese chinese restaurant in town. it has a special menu card that lists authentic chinese preparation, apart from another menu with the usual (and familiar) stuff. but since a couple of years there a condition that the authentic stuff should be ordered 1 day in advance, except for a few selected items. pity.

the only chinese restaurant i HATE is Nanking. spicy, oily andhra-chinese crap. only their chicken drumsticks redeem them.

If you find yourself at Chung Hua on Ministers road, definitely try the heavenly steamed egg (with or without chicken)!

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 21st September 2008 at 00:59.
Old 21st September 2008, 09:50   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

I drive in front of Hyderabad Corner everyday but, there is no place to park in the evening as right in front of this place, each day there is a massive traffic jam. However, i see everyday that not a single soul is there, so it put me in second thoughts.

Been to Haiking last week, i agree good food. But a couple of bad experiences made me wary of going to them regularly. Twice there was roaches in the dish, and they had the gall to even charge for the dish. This happened early this year when my sis came from the states and asked me which is a good chinese and like i fool i suggested her this place and i had experienced the same problem before as well

Been to Ching Lin and Chung Hua ( Minister Road) many times but not in the past year though. I frequent Chung Hua's basheerbagh outlet more as its closer to home. It is opposite to NIIT next to Ohri's. Average food, nothing to write home about them.

Planning to go out for dinner tonight, let's see where i will finally land up
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:30   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

I had "Sarvi" Haleem yesterday and it was really delicious-Lightly flavoured and slight hint of masalas, meat metling in your mouth and found it quite less heavy than most other haleems. It's priced at Rs.55/Plate and Special is at Rs.70/Plate. Go for it
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:40   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I had "Sarvi" Haleem yesterday and it was really delicious-Lightly flavoured and slight hint of masalas, meat metling in your mouth and found it quite less heavy than most other haleems. It's priced at Rs.55/Plate and Special is at Rs.70/Plate. Go for it
ya...Sarvi's good too, esp with the curd or cream or whatever that is added on the "special" version!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
I drive in front of Hyderabad Corner everyday but, there is no place to park in the evening as right in front of this place, each day there is a massive traffic jam. However, i see everyday that not a single soul is there, so it put me in second thoughts.
i suggest you try it once and then make a decision!

i heard that the rush over there starts late, maybe after 8 or 8:30pm coz many come over from other places to have this haleem.
Old 22nd September 2008, 16:26   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
i suggest you try it once and then make a decision!

i heard that the rush over there starts late, maybe after 8 or 8:30pm coz many come over from other places to have this haleem.
Sure, i will certainly try it within the next day or two and let you know my feedback
Old 23rd September 2008, 02:15   #116
Ali
BHPian

We could go anytime,but make sure its before Friday.Because,it will be a whole lot crowded after that.What say we go on Wednesday? At around 8.30-9.00PM.

Also,There's a hotel near Nampally Ek-Minar.It serves i can say best Mutton Haleem.But the catch is its over by 5.30Pm,even before iftar.

So we have two options,Either we go to Old City or I can get two parcels for Each one of you from there.Let me know your Inputs.
Old 23rd September 2008, 11:08   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
We could go anytime,but make sure its before Friday.Because,it will be a whole lot crowded after that.What say we go on Wednesday? At around 8.30-9.00PM.

Also,There's a hotel near Nampally Ek-Minar.It serves i can say best Mutton Haleem.But the catch is its over by 5.30Pm,even before iftar.

So we have two options,Either we go to Old City or I can get two parcels for Each one of you from there.Let me know your Inputs.
That's very nice of you Ali. Unfortunately, i am hosting a small drinks-cum-dinner for a close family friend at home on wednesday ( tomorrow).

I am game to meet on Thursday evening around 9pm to go over to old city for some delectable haleem? Also, i wouldn't mind the haleem that gets over at 5:30pm
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:27   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Last night, i went to a cocktail party at FMC. Since i had a conference call in the night, could only make it to the venue around 10pm and had a great time until 1am

I absolutely loved the food and drinks served. Here is what was on the menu :

Drinks served
Black Dog
Blenders Pride
Budweiser
Smirnoff

Ofcourse, my choice was the Kala Kutta

Snacks Served
a) Mutton Cutlets
b) Fish Kebabs
c) Chicken kebabs
d) Pepper Chicken
e) Mutton Sheek Kebabs
c) Cut-Mirchi ( Unique FMC dish)
d) Veg Manchuria
e) Veg Springrolls
e) Egg Foyung

All the dishes were good. But a special mention to the Mutton Cutlets, one of the best i ever had.

Main Course
Whew, too many non-veg and veg dishes. But each one of them quite good.I loved the Mutton Roganjosh and Chicken Hariyali

In short, the food at FMC has improved by leaps and bounds. I can't wait to go back there again.
Old 23rd September 2008, 21:22   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

A funny thing happened about an hour ago. I was driving back home and stopped at Hyderabad Corner for the Haleem. I parked the car with a lot of difficulty and ordered for a haleem and when i was about to pay, i couldnt find my purse. Got panicky, searched the car, my bag but no, it was NOT there.

So i had to cancel the order and just reached home and realized i forgot to carry it in the first place

Ctraltdel, looks like something is stopping me from having the hyderabad corner haleem
Old 24th September 2008, 01:49   #120
Ali
BHPian

H mm,Will let you know if i'm a Game for Thursday.I'm down with cold and fever.I cant let go of my Fasts.Will try,If not then will try to get you the Haleem that gets over by 5.30.Hopefully before Ramzan is over.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks