Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2005, 12:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scratch correction?

Started my day on a real bad note! Woke up in the morning, was reading morning newspaper, and then here comes the guy, who cleans my car everyday. Informs me that there are brand new scratches on the car. Very much agonizing, especially on a new well maintained black car. Me and my wife went to the parking lot and inspected the car. Someone had scratched it deliberately on the bonnet, on the doors and the boot. Don't know what sadistic pleasure he/she would have got. I screamed at the watchman, knowing all the while, how futile it was.

It's still hard to digest it, but that's life :( Anyway, do you guys know what can be done to correct it? On black color, scratches are very much visible. Any good techniques? or should I get it done by the dealer?
Old 21st March 2005, 12:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

***,it's really sick to see ur vehicle being scratched purposely.even my car has been scratched sooo manybtimes and i understand how u feel.
try waxing .
also u can try turtle wax Scratch and Swirl remover.
but if its a deep scratch in which the metal under the paint is exposed then i think u have to repaint.

or wait for rudra's advice.
Old 21st March 2005, 12:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Dude you can try the GS27 scratch remover. Its a good product and can remove normal scratches

Dippy
Old 21st March 2005, 12:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
or wait for rudra's advice.
Stole words right out of my mouth...... Rudra's the man when it comes to car care!
Old 21st March 2005, 12:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys! I am looking forward to your advise. He has scratched it real hard. May be with some pointed stuff like key.
Old 21st March 2005, 13:24   #6
RJK
Senior - BHPian

RX,

I agree, it really really pains to see when someone scratches your car. But if it looks like someone has done with a key or some sharp object, then I fear its pretty much a deep one. You could try the GS27 but I don't think it'll work. Try using some rubbing compound or machine polish. Maybe machine polish can lighten the scratches. The best thing would be to paint the scratched area but its practically not possible to do so. Other advise would be to invest in a good body cover especially if you have open parking. More often than not, kids indulge in such things. Apparently they love to scratch & write their names on someone else's cars!
Old 21st March 2005, 13:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Same thing happened to my silver santro. it wasnt as bad cos the car was silver so we just left it. then hyundai motor plaza polished it off and you cant really notice it now unless u look carefully. dont repaint your whole car for that one scratch. you get aerosol sprays that might not look the same but prevent it from being so noticeble
Old 21st March 2005, 14:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Thanks guys! I am looking forward to your advise. He has scratched it real hard. May be with some pointed stuff like key.
Some real enemies for your Petra dude... take it to Ashwamegh for an advice .... the paint shop is real good and they can do something for cheap...
Old 22nd March 2005, 01:54   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys,
While parking in a really tough place, my palio scraped the wall and though there is no dent, there are a few scratches.
Will it come off with something like GS27.
Its lighter then the scratch made by someone on my corolla with a key.
I hate this mentality of indians to go spoil someone elses well maintained stuff because they could not maintain theres as well.
If i found out who put the scratch on my corolla i will make him pay for repainting the whole car.
Only way they will learn.
Does teflon coating prevent small scratches from appearing?
Old 22nd March 2005, 10:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

whoa man dont blame this on indian mentaliyt
in india vandalism is nothing as compared to abroad. atleast we dont have pople stuffing potatos up your tail pipe or smashing the windscreen.also most of the scratche are done by beggars on the road with the coins in their hand if you dont give them any money. Teflon coating will protect your car from minor scratches only. think of it like the brown paper on your text books. nd if u ever find the guy who scratched your car and manage to get the whole thing painted again gmme a call
Old 23rd March 2005, 06:46   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
whoa man dont blame this on indian mentaliyt
in india vandalism is nothing as compared to abroad.
Very true.

In certain parts of the world "keying" or scratching the entire side of the car with a key as you walk by is very common. And the better your car is, the higher the chances of it being victimized! Exotics are on top of the list. sad sad sad.

cya
R
Old 23rd March 2005, 14:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Very true.
In certain parts of the world "keying" or scratching the entire side of the car with a key as you walk by is very common. And the better your car is, the higher the chances of it being victimized! Exotics are on top of the list. sad sad sad.
I agree. We were ***t scared to park our rental BMW in open parking lot of a youth hostel in Paris.
Old 23rd March 2005, 21:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

My ex-boss who was from Ireland ,used to say that it was common for his '78 porsche 911 to be sprayed with black colour ,whenever he took it to any night club on weekends.
Old 24th March 2005, 00:21   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Try turtle wax.
Tried some on my car and though it has not exactly gone, its become blue in colour and does not stand out all that much.
Old 24th March 2005, 07:41   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Someone had scratched it deliberately on the bonnet, on the doors and the boot.
Really bad news RX. Going by your description "He has scratched it real hard. May be with some pointed stuff like key" I don't see any other option but to paint those three parts.
Try to get a cover for your car. But car cover creates problem during monsoon. It doesn't allow water to dry normally. So you end up getting water patches all over the body.

Try to pay extra to your watchman so that he does that extra bit.
Better still, look for a covered parking. I know I'm sounding stupid but these are probably the only way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks