Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2005, 18:54   #1
BHPian

'96 Zen - Hold or Sell

I am toying with the option of a new car and am now faced with the dilemma of what to do with my current car

Facts :'96 model zen thats done 94K kms as on date..
FE : doles out an FE of 16-19 (w/o AC on for my daily drives.... a high traffic , city condition AC drive would fetch me atleast 13)...

Option 1 : Hold : Spend about 20-30 k, or may be 50, on the zen essentially on body work and any other stuff that the "Doctor" may prescibe

Option 2: Sell... not too sure how much it'll fetch.... my guestimate is 75k - 100k.... for all u know that too might be on the higher side

So folks... need inputs/advice on the above two options.. would also like inputs on a 3rd whacky option and that would be to remodell..... and if remodell then wots the minimum damage that i can get away with for a decent job......

The bottom line for all the decisions would be the engine life.. and thats what i need ur expert opinion on.... how much more life can i expect from this car....

Cheers....
Old 21st March 2005, 19:08   #2
BHPian

put a baleno engine and wola new bzen

or sell it to me for 70k. I will do the above myself. so both ways we find a similar outcome

ICY ZEN!!!!!!

Kidin dude or say I m serious
Old 21st March 2005, 19:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

i have seen vivaids zen.
even after 90k+kms ,it performs superbly.
in fact ,on a mumbai shirdi drive during the rains it gave about 20kpl and that too at speeds of 100+.

so i suggest ,u get the Maruti engine rebuilding which can be done at any MASS .after you do this,ur zen will be ready for another 1lac kms.

so HOLD
Old 21st March 2005, 19:44   #4
BANNED

vivaid

dude please listen to what satya says if iwere in your place
i would
no point selling it

Old 21st March 2005, 20:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

I agree wid Satya. Keep it.. From what Satya says and what you say, its doing really well. So, no point selling it.
Old 21st March 2005, 22:36   #6
Team-BHP Support

no point selling it dude , get the required work done and wear a smile for a long time !

manson .
Old 22nd March 2005, 09:15   #7
BHPian

hi,
I also own a 96 zen which has covered 133k without any problem and has been at time thoroughly abused. But it has been religiously maintained at MASS. Even the clutch assembly is original. I really love my car and suggest if its engine is ok keep it and don't spend too much on body paint etc. get the basics right. I shudder at the thought of parting possession. Now I am toying with an idea of going in for Scorpio as a seccond car and keeping it as a main city car.
thanks
Old 22nd March 2005, 09:40   #8
BHPian

Agree with all above, with the kind of performance u'r car is giving, no way u should be thinking to sell it off..
Once u sell it u'l be like.. Oh man, i sold a beauty and now dont have enough moolah to get a better car..
So the bottom line is...

_HOLD on to it tight, dont let go_
Old 22nd March 2005, 23:45   #9
BHPian

DO NOT SELL. what are you saying? even my 99 does not perform as good as yours. no point in selling

HOLD!!!!
Old 23rd March 2005, 01:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

I guess it'd be better to hold onto since it won't make your pockets heavier by much if you sell it. if you are thinking of another car, then get it without parting with the Zen. SS, does the car need an overhaul at less than 100k kms? I would've thought that the engine would last comfortably until 150k kms at least.
Old 23rd March 2005, 01:55   #11
BHPian

plonk an esteem engine for about 20km put in better seats, brakes and do up the suspension and stiffen the chassih and you can rock n roll for another 1L kms
Old 23rd March 2005, 20:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps
. SS, does the car need an overhaul at less than 100k kms? I.

hey Deeps,
i have seen Zens doing 1lac+kms(Amitoj and Vivaid amongst us) without any major problems and i have also seen some requiring overhaul at 70k kms as that moron had never changed his oil at the regular intervals.
so that really depends on your driving style.

all one has to do is to stick to the regular maintainence schedules.
Old 23rd March 2005, 21:23   #13
BHPian

'96 Zen Re-model

Hey thanx guys.... i am fairly convinced for now... Its a HOLD for me... but i sure await inputs on some re-modelling....

If i am not mistaken, we do have people out here who are in the business of remodelling...

a wild n whacky but perennial wish is to remodel my car into a coupe convertible... wots the min damage, if i were to do this....

Any further remodelling ideas are welcome... but yes please do try to provide an estimate of the possible damage too...

cheers.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks