Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2008, 23:25   #31
BHPian

Congrats on getting into Coventry.

Try getting into their FSAE team, there are quite a few indians on their team.
FSAE is a awesome learning experience. You won't regret the countless hours you spend building the car, once the actual car is ready.

Hoping to see you at Formula Student(Silverstone), next year.

Good luck and enjoy your engineering.

P.S.- Plan your trip from the airport to your college online. Taxis are very expensive in the UK and its best to have your trips planned. The public transport is very good.
Old 30th September 2008, 15:28   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Fully agree on the hard earned money part - cigarettes are VERY expensive in the UK. Used to cost 5 quid for a pack 3 years ago.
This reminds me of the exhorbitant cigarette pricing in the States, Marlboro packs sold for like 5.xx bucks! Here is the interesting part : As always, Indians will adjust and adapt. We figured that cheaper cigarettes ($12 / carton) in neighbour Mexico made the 4 hour round-trip + fuel worthwhile. Once a month, we'd take turns in driving down to Mexico. You really had to see our loaded trunks when we got back .
Old 2nd December 2008, 08:10   #33
BANNED

Please Suggest !!!!

My cousine has completed his B.tech in automobile engineering from SCT college of
engineering trivandrum and is presently working as design engineer in an engineering
solutions company.He wants to do a master degree in Automobile engineering. Can anyone
suggest some top international courses available (any country) and their scope
Regards
Dilip

Last edited by GTO : 2nd December 2008 at 13:13. Reason: Please do NOT type in BOLD
Old 28th June 2009, 21:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Where to buy?

Hi Guys.

I'll be going for my Masters course to UK in september for a year and 3 months.

I'm looking at the following stuff for myself
  • Apple Macbook Pro 15-inch : 2.8GHZ
  • Nokia N97 ( I know not all would agree with this, but i like it a lot)
  • Canon Digital IXUS 100 IS Digital Camera / Nikon Coolpix S60 / Any under INR 15000
  • A Watch - From a good reputed brand - Around 15000
I would like to know whether to purchase the stuff from UK or India itself.

The Macbook Pro in UK is about INR 7000 expensive ( I would love to save these if it's not a hassle to own a Macbook in UK bought from India .
I would be coming to India atleast 3 times during this time and would purchase the additional warranty after i come back to India)

The Nokia N97 - Yes i know most will disagree with my choice.
My work is limited to Texting, Facebook, A bit Browsing, Calling and maybe some music ( not much though).
I want the phone to be great looking and have a QWERTY for typing.

I have been told that if i buy a phone under contract, i would not be able to use it with any other service provider or use it in India. I wanted to whether after the contract gets over, do the guys at the service provider unlock the phone for me or something else?

If they do not unlock the phone or do something which makes the phone un usable in India, then I am against buying it under the contract. If that is the case, is it worth buying the cellphone from India or from UK itself.

Its available for something around 33k in India and around 450 Pounds in the UK.

Also if i take it under a contract ( Suppose Vodafone) - then it would cost me around 45 pounds a month for 18 months ~ 810 pounds ~ 65000 INR in which i would get around 1200 minutes calling a month along with unlimited Landline calls and Text Messages. ( Vat of about 15% extra)

Service Provider
Would also like to know about which is a good service provider in UK.
I would be located at the university which is on the A30, 19 miles from central London and about a mile south-west of the town of Egham and would like a hassle free ownership and a great network quality.

Camera

I would like to buy a camera which is sleek , easy to carry and is good at the same time.
Would be clicking loads of pics and don't need any DSLR or anything big.
Around 15000 INR.

The options available to me are Canon Digital IXUS 100 IS Digital Camera / Nikon Coolpix S60. Would like opinions on both or maybe any better.

No extensions on the budget.

Again whether to buy it from India or UK?

Watch - A good branded one. - Around 15000 INR.
Suggestions on which one and whether to buy it from India or UK.

Thanks in Advance.

Cheers
Abhinav
Old 28th June 2009, 23:48   #35
BHPian

Just returned recently from the UK & shifted back to India.
Here's my two-penny bit:

Phones available at decent prices in the uk. Depending on how much time you are spending there - i.e. if there for less than two years, consider prepaid because getting and cancelling a contract with most companies is quite painful and then you end up spending unecessary pounds.

After trying multiple providers [despite doing research and finding 02 to be the best], I inevitably ended up with 02. Best network, decent customer service and a special sim if you make many calls/sms to India. The others all had problems with - actual network and topup services and in-store service.

02 was the only thing that worked on all my drives across UK and Scotland. Even in remote corners of Scotland, I had network. And, decent roaming across Western Europe, including far-flung greek islands.

Also, Argos offers decent prices on compact cameras - Sony DSC series etc for below and above 100 GBP and Nikon Coolpix around 200 GBP. Overall, Argos (Shop Online with Argos.co.uk - your Online Catalogue for Home Shopping) is a good discount store to buy household essentials - cups/plates/blender etc if there isn't an IKEA close by.
Old 28th June 2009, 23:55   #36
BHPian

Wanted to add - lucky you - UK has some really amazing drives. I was on the road every alternate weekend! If you aren't going to buy a car there - then I suggest national.co.uk - good rates for rentals - my one day car rental cost usually happened to be the cost of one meal at a pub i.e. 15 GBP. Also, once you join their zoom club [joining is free] then you get discounts on insurance and adding additional drivers or hiring GPS.

Btw, all the different car rentals accept Indian licenses as they are. You can drive in the UK without having to change your license if you are there for less than X period, I think it may be 18 months.

Hope you take many road trips and post on tbhp!
Old 29th June 2009, 13:20   #37
BHPian

Hey congrats on the masters, hope you enjoy it. To answer some of your questions -
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Hi Guys.

I'll be going for my Masters course to UK in september for a year and 3 months.

I'm looking at the following stuff for myself
  • Apple Macbook Pro 15-inch : 2.8GHZ
  • Nokia N97 ( I know not all would agree with this, but i like it a lot)
  • Canon Digital IXUS 100 IS Digital Camera / Nikon Coolpix S60 / Any under INR 15000
  • A Watch - From a good reputed brand - Around 15000
I would like to know whether to purchase the stuff from UK or India itself.

The Macbook Pro in UK is about INR 7000 expensive ( I would love to save these if it's not a hassle to own a Macbook in UK bought from India .
I would be coming to India atleast 3 times during this time and would purchase the additional warranty after i come back to India)

One of the important things i guess is the warranty and if its usable internationally. I know Sony and others dont do international waranties. As for the prices check out websites like www.comet.co.uk, www.pcworld.co.uk, www.ebuyer.co.uk and www.microanvika.com - these are the major electronic retailers in the UK. If you buy it from India you will need an adaptor for the plug socket. You can insure almost everything you own here, and it will usally cover an item if its broken (i got my laptop replaced after i spilled beer on it), or stolen.

The Nokia N97 - Yes i know most will disagree with my choice.
My work is limited to Texting, Facebook, A bit Browsing, Calling and maybe some music ( not much though).
I want the phone to be great looking and have a QWERTY for typing.

I have been told that if i buy a phone under contract, i would not be able to use it with any other service provider or use it in India. I wanted to whether after the contract gets over, do the guys at the service provider unlock the phone for me or something else?

It depends on service providers. O2 and Orange, dont usally lock their phones, but 3, T-mobile and Vodaphone do. O2 only lock the I-phone. The service providers do unlock phones, but its expensive. Its easier to go to Southall or something similar and get it done there for a tenner.

If they do not unlock the phone or do something which makes the phone un usable in India, then I am against buying it under the contract. If that is the case, is it worth buying the cellphone from India or from UK itself.

If you dont want a 12 or 18 mth contract theres monthly contracts too. These dont include phones but have decent amounts of free minutesa nd texts. The 02 and T-mobile ones are most popular.

Its available for something around 33k in India and around 450 Pounds in the UK.

Also if i take it under a contract ( Suppose Vodafone) - then it would cost me around 45 pounds a month for 18 months ~ 810 pounds ~ 65000 INR in which i would get around 1200 minutes calling a month along with unlimited Landline calls and Text Messages. ( Vat of about 15% extra)

The minutes are only to other mobiles in the UK (But i belive Vodaphone are now going to include all EU phones in this soon). Are you going to use 1200 mintues? You can get alot contracts for alot cheaper.

Service Provider
Would also like to know about which is a good service provider in UK.
I would be located at the university which is on the A30, 19 miles from central London and about a mile south-west of the town of Egham and would like a hassle free ownership and a great network quality.

Are you doing your masters at Royal Holloway? I dont think you should get coverage problems with any of the network providers. To add to what msbehave said, i've been with O2 for 9 years now and never had a problem, no matter where i travel. But i think its matter of choise and brand commitment. I know people who swear by T-mobile and Vodaphone.

Camera

I would like to buy a camera which is sleek , easy to carry and is good at the same time.
Would be clicking loads of pics and don't need any DSLR or anything big.
Around 15000 INR.

The options available to me are Canon Digital IXUS 100 IS Digital Camera / Nikon Coolpix S60. Would like opinions on both or maybe any better.

Check the same wetsites for cameras. Dont forget Ebay.

No extensions on the budget.

Again whether to buy it from India or UK?

Watch - A good branded one. - Around 15000 INR.
Suggestions on which one and whether to buy it from India or UK.

Thanks in Advance.

Cheers
Abhinav
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehave View Post
Wanted to add - lucky you - UK has some really amazing drives. I was on the road every alternate weekend! If you aren't going to buy a car there - then I suggest national.co.uk - good rates for rentals - my one day car rental cost usually happened to be the cost of one meal at a pub i.e. 15 GBP. Also, once you join their zoom club [joining is free] then you get discounts on insurance and adding additional drivers or hiring GPS.

Btw, all the different car rentals accept Indian licenses as they are. You can drive in the UK without having to change your license if you are there for less than X period, I think it may be 18 months.

Hope you take many road trips and post on tbhp!
You can use your Indian driving licence in the UK for 12mths. But most people usally land up using it for longer. Also its 12mths from the first time you landed in the UK. The 12mths does not get re-set everytime you go home and come back here.

Last edited by Samir Taheer : 29th June 2009 at 13:23.
Old 29th June 2009, 17:24   #38
Senior - BHPian

Wow.
That's like a lot of help guys.
Thanks

Apple has told me that they do offer international warranty.
I am getting the Macbook pro here for almost a difference of around 15-20k from the UK so it does make sense if the international warranty covers the repairs atleast.

As for the phone should i buy it from India or the UK if i don't want to enter the 12/18 months contract?
Old 29th June 2009, 20:57   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
You can use your Indian driving licence in the UK for 12mths.
You should get an IDP, which is easy enough.

I do this, even though I have passed a British driving test --- my British licence is not valid as I am not resident there, so I can drive on my Indian license plus IDP.
Old 29th June 2009, 21:50   #40
Senior - BHPian

Abhinav

buy electronics stuff from India as its always cheaper in India compared to UK.

And most companies like Apple/Sony/Canon respect International Warranties.

Buy the N97 from India as its 500£ here as of now in Pre-order and you can buy a SIM only plan as you land here.

And as THAD suggested, get an IDP too(you have ample time) as sometimes you might be asked for it depending on area/person so whats the benefit of not having one when getting one in India is cakewalk.

Most companies unlock the phones when you tell them that you going to India for sometime.

Dont mind to post any more queries you have

cheers
Old 29th June 2009, 21:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

Having been a mature student and thereafter a professional in the UK in no so distant past, I do have very high regards of the place and its people. The north is very warm, especially Yorkshire, just that you need to get used to the twang or accent, whichever way you want to call it. Also not to forget that most ladies right from the supermarkets to bus and other places will address you by "luv" so don't get embarrassed . A little effort to be considerate to others will help you have a good life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
You can use your Indian driving licence in the UK for 12mths. But most people usally land up using it for longer. Also its 12mths from the first time you landed in the UK. The 12mths does not get re-set everytime you go home and come back here.
Thats a grey area of the law which is not clearly specified. I have personal experience on this

Quote:

Apple has told me that they do offer international warranty.
I am getting the Macbook pro here for almost a difference of around 15-20k from the UK so it does make sense if the international warranty covers the repairs atleast.

As for the phone should i buy it from India or the UK if i don't want to enter the 12/18 months contract?
Depending upon your usage you can buy a plan. I had a 18 month contract just after going there so getting a contract is not difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I do this, even though I have passed a British driving test --- my British licence is not valid as I am not resident there, so I can drive on my Indian license plus IDP.
I drove in UK with my Indian Licence, never had an IDP. Even rented cars with Indian Licence. Enterprise, Hertz and Avis all told me that they need an IDP only if your licence is not in English. As already stated by Thad, never try to bribe any UK police official, rather always speak the truth. Case in point, was caught at 93MPH on A7X on my way to Scarborough. Told the cops that I was following the traffic and had lost track of the speedo while speaking to a beautiful Japanese lady in the passenger seat. The guys spoke about Goa and left me with a caution.
So speak the truth and fear not
Old 30th June 2009, 00:36   #42
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot guys.

So i will get the electronics from India and i should get a IDP too.
Also is there any restriction on the weight of the luggage i carry?

What about a watch.
Do i have options in Emporio Armani/Hugo Boss/Tissot in around 200 pounds UK or 15000 in India.

Last edited by abhinav.gupta88 : 30th June 2009 at 00:44.
Old 30th June 2009, 00:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do i have options in Emporio Armani/Hugo Boss/Tissot in around 200 pounds UK or 15000 in India.
Yes Abhinav,

I believe you should be able to get a good watch in 200£ budget specially the brands i have experience with i.e. Kenneth Cole, Fossil, Tissot and maybe CK too of course depends on what you lay your fingers at.

I dont know about Hugo Boss though as i never saw a hugo Boss watch till now.

So regarding a watch, i would say buy it from here as in India you might not get the variety

Cheers
Old 30th June 2009, 01:27   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I am suprised your not allowed to use your driving licence. Is it because you dont have a registered address in the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Thats a grey area of the law which is not clearly specified. I have personal experience on this

I drove in UK with my Indian Licence, never had an IDP. Even rented cars with Indian Licence. Enterprise, Hertz and Avis all told me that they need an IDP only if your licence is not in English. As already stated by Thad, never try to bribe any UK police official, rather always speak the truth. Case in point, was caught at 93MPH on A7X on my way to Scarborough. Told the cops that I was following the traffic and had lost track of the speedo while speaking to a beautiful Japanese lady in the passenger seat. The guys spoke about Goa and left me with a caution.
So speak the truth and fear not
If you go thru the rules, its actually quite clearly stated. You can only drive for one year after your first entry. It doesnt apply to people on tourist visa's though. Its only if your studying or living here. When i first started driving here, i did it on my normal licence too. No need for an IDP. But hey it never hurt to get one.

As for the luggage capacity - which airline are you flying with? Most allow students to fly with excess bagagge. I know Jetairways and Kingfisher allow it. Virgin and sticklers when it comes to excess luggage.
Old 30th June 2009, 12:46   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

When I planned to leave UK, I asked the DVLA (appropriate authority) if I could change my address to a care-of address. They told me that I could not, and that I must surrender my license if I no longer lived in UK. IIRC, they also said I could not have a foreign address on the licence.

It was an anonymous e-mail exchange, and I have no intention of doing so! Even so, I would not use it --- and I am committing an offence by not having my current address on the licence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The north is very warm,
Meaning the people, NOT the climate!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks