Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2009, 18:28   #46
Senior - BHPian

Considering Jet Airways as a cousin's friend of mine works there and I would also be upgraded to business class from the economy class which i would book.

The IDP says i have to return it within 12 months?
Is it true?
Old 30th June 2009, 18:32   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Considering Jet Airways as a cousin's friend of mine works there and I would also be upgraded to business class from the economy class which i would book.

The IDP says i have to return it within 12 months?
Is it true?
Business Class in Jet is really good. I somehow like it better than the First Class
Old 30th June 2009, 18:33   #48
Senior - BHPian

Nice.
Does it have seats which can become fully flat or likes?
What added advantages than the economy class.
Old 30th June 2009, 18:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice.
Fully Flat seats, individual screen with choice of movies.

Apart from that wide range of food and beverages served smilingly.

They also give you a welcome pack of Bulgari and a night suit set if the flight is in the night .

I think thats quite a bit of difference between Economy and Business
Old 30th June 2009, 18:57   #50
Senior - BHPian

Well thanks for that.
Also wanted to know.
What's the price of some cigarettes in UK.
Sold separately or in packs.
Smoking allowed on the campus / in hostel rooms?
Old 30th June 2009, 19:11   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well thanks for that.
Also wanted to know.
What's the price of some cigarettes in UK.
Sold separately or in packs.
Smoking allowed on the campus / in hostel rooms?
Cigarettes can be anything between 2.5 to 5 Pounds. Smoking only allowed at designated places where the stub box is fitted. You cannot smoke in your hostel room.
Old 30th June 2009, 19:22   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Nice.
Apart from the price, i guess Milecruncher has summed up the advantages quite well. The business in Jet is excellent, when your ready to knock off, they sort out the bed for you. The food is a alot better, you get a bigger variety and its served in courses instead of everything plonked on one tray.

As for the smoking, your not allowed to smoke in any public place - i.e, Night clubs, shopping centres, halls. Its ok to smoke in the street, parks etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Cigarettes can be anything between 2.5 to 5 Pounds. Smoking only allowed at designated places where the stub box is fitted. You cannot smoke in your hostel room.
Old 30th June 2009, 20:09   #53
Senior - BHPian

You know what that's a relief.
Atleast it would make me stop smoking
A few more. Sorry for the trouble.

Clothes. Are there any options ( not those very expensive ones ) but good quality or it is recommended to take them from India itself.

Also about sweaters/jackets. How cold can it get? Do i need to carry them from India or take them from UK itself.
Old 30th June 2009, 20:28   #54
BHPian

You will find very good quality woolens there on sale at throw away prices till August. But do take few woolen with your as temp right now is around 25 - 15* C. Do buy a good jacket, overcoat, cap, muffler and gloves as winters will be freezingly cold. Take 2 sets of inner thermals with you.

Do take a crash course in British etiquette as you will offend the locals by not following their traditions and rules. Many Indian students in Australia are suffering only due to this.

In India every driver makes his own set of road rules, but not so in England. Dont drive at all till you have mastered their driving etiquette. It will be very expensive for you if you get caught on any driving violation. When I was there, I was told that I can drive with my International driving license only when accompanied by a UK license holder. So be very careful.

Last edited by akj53 : 30th June 2009 at 20:36. Reason: correction
Old 30th June 2009, 20:47   #55
BHPian

Quote:
You know what that's a relief.
Atleast it would make me stop smoking
A few more. Sorry for the trouble.

Clothes. Are there any options ( not those very expensive ones ) but good quality or it is recommended to take them from India itself.

Also about sweaters/jackets. How cold can it get? Do i need to carry them from India or take them from UK itself.
You can get clothes for cheap - There are some shops that are meant to be very cheap - Primark, TKMax, etc. I would get wollies from here, cause then you could decided what you want. They might be more expensive, but atleast your going with the trend (if thats important to you). I usally only buy my Lacoste T-shirts and Jeans from India.

At the moment its veryyy hot (UK standards), its about 25-30 in the day and 20ish in the night and its only going to get hotter.

I usally need a light jacket by November and pull out my heavy jacket Januaryish. Never used thermals or big wooly jackets, but it depends on the person. In the winter (the worst of it is usally in January/Febuary) it usally hovers around the -1 to 5degree mark. Bit of snow and loads of frost.

I honestly dont think etiquett should be a problem (judging by the way you talk/type) and most locals are pretty much used to having Indian students around. I think its important to be yourself and not pretend, to be someone your not. You'll make alot more friends that way.

Last edited by Samir Taheer : 30th June 2009 at 20:48.
Old 30th June 2009, 20:51   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
When I was there, I was told that I can drive with my International driving license only when accompanied by a UK license holder. So be very careful.
Hmmm that's not true. I owned a car when i was on my Indian licence and i had no problems with insurance (RAC) or driving. I have been pulled over by the cops and have had no problems. Other here have driven in the UK too and they didnt seem to have problems either. Driving in the UK is over hyped, its really not that hard.

Just get over here, make the most of your stay and have a blast.
Old 30th June 2009, 20:56   #57
Senior - BHPian

Thanks

Another Small one. What banks are common in India and UK. Does a debit card work at most places like clubs/restaurants/ malls and shops etc? If yes which one from India would work there.

I personally require only a wind cheater only when it is really cold here. ( Mornings)

Are the rooms in hostels adequately climate controlled.

Also would like to know places around Royal Holloway where i could go in for shopping for groceries etc as my friends and I plan to cook food ourselves rather than eating outside all the time. It would be convenient, cheaper as well as fun especially with friends around to help and all.

Thanks.

EDIT:
Thanks akj53, just read your post. Sorry. What temperature can i expect in mid September? I am ok with carrying a jacket and a sweater with me.
Also are other accessories expensive. Like shoes, Caps etc.

Last edited by abhinav.gupta88 : 30th June 2009 at 20:59.
Old 30th June 2009, 21:10   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks

Another Small one. What banks are common in India and UK. Does a debit card work at most places like clubs/restaurants/ malls and shops etc? If yes which one from India would work there.

I personally require only a wind cheater only when it is really cold here. ( Mornings)

Are the rooms in hostels adequately climate controlled.

Also would like to know places around Royal Holloway where i could go in for shopping for groceries etc as my friends and I plan to cook food ourselves rather than eating outside all the time. It would be convenient, cheaper as well as fun especially with friends around to help and all.

Thanks.

EDIT:
Thanks akj53, just read your post. Sorry. What temperature can i expect in mid September? I am ok with carrying a jacket and a sweater with me.
Also are other accessories expensive. Like shoes, Caps etc.
I think and i might be wrong, but the common banks are HSBC and Barclays. You can use a debit card anywhere, as long as its a Visa, Mastercard, Solo, Switch, etc Debit. I use my ICICI Mastercard here often enough.

Honestly mate, i dont think a thin wind cheater will be ok in the winter. Its a different kind of cold. Its a windy, icy kinnda cold. For september your jumper/jacket will be more than ok. But in the winter i would buy something heavier.

The best thing to do to compare prices of clothes is check out online websites. There's tons of them - that way everyones not guessing and you can choose what you want. Google shoes or caps ro whatever your looking for in the Google UK website and i am sure you will find your answer.

As for shopping- Egham town centre has a Tesco Metro and other small shops. It's not the best town centre. Theres a large Sainsbury about 10minute drive from the campus in Staines. Dont know bus routes.

Last edited by Samir Taheer : 30th June 2009 at 21:11.
Old 30th June 2009, 21:17   #59
Senior - BHPian

Not a thin one. But not too thick as well. Its one of my favourites so i guess it would be good to go for the not too cool times. For the very cool kinds, i'll take something heavier

Thanks for the info.
And how far is the Indian place everyone talks about from Royal Holloway.

EDIT: That is south-hall
Old 30th June 2009, 21:24   #60
BHPian

Hahahah Southall, i dont think its more than a 40mins drive.

Never taken the train, so really dont know how long that will take. Try National Rail Enquiries - Official source for UK train times and timetables for that kinnda stuff and Home | Transport for London for transportation in and around London.

Never aswered your question on the heating in the halls - Which halls are you in? I've stayed over in the halls there a few times and it seemed quite warm, but that could have been the cirmumstances. As for smoking in your room - there's way's to not set the smoke detectors off, but that's a conversation not to be had in public.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks