Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 08:45   #16
ECM
BHPian

Let me take back to you in those days Samu,here is Floyd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Super shots, terrific, thrilling?

Come on guys, this is a disaster of astronomical scale. When Mumbai was under floods 3 years back, I don't think any one of you felt similar euphoria. This is much worse, lakhs of houses and other buildings are gone. They practically have to rebuild the cities.

My wife and I have felt the tail-end of Hurricane Floyd nine years back, although there were hardly any damages in my area, it was one of the scariest rains we saw, it was raining horizontally for nearly a day. There were twisters near our home. And it was downgraded to tropical storm level by then. Floods we see in India are picnic compared to Atlantic hurricane fury.

Could be Cuba.
Attached Images

Old 18th September 2008, 09:36   #17
BANNED

Hi,

Bloody hell thats scary. My sister in law and family stays in Houston(used to till a few days back). The Hurricane has completely flattened their house and there is nothing left of it.

They sensibly evacuated early gathering all their valuables & papers and went on to stay with a relative in Austin. Now they have to settle down all over again and are not sure if they want to do so in Houston again. The earlier hurricane did a lot of damage as well but the structure was standing then.

Viper
Old 18th September 2008, 11:27   #18
BHPian

Somehow this whole thread having the pics being described as enticing, supershots, thrilling, etc. is very disturbing indeed. Maybe all of us are really using some inappropriate adjectives. These pics need to be looked at with empathy, to say the least. Most of the shots are sad and terrifying to say the least.

No one is here to judge, but please refrain from enjoying (or at least sound like you are enjoying) at the cost of someone else's pain.
Old 18th September 2008, 12:14   #19
BANNED

Why does everyone get touchy of all such matters - this is one topic and the other is when any one says anything against the locals.

I am sure all those who used the adjectives didnt mean to say that the effects of the hurricane are superb or anything; rather the pics are quite well shot. No one is happy because the hurricane blew away the city. Comeon guys.

PS: Exception is the thread starter he thinks its nature's way of dealing with crimes made by us humans. sir i dont see the mute animals being spared by these hurricanes too(the cat and croc for example) what crime have they done for nature to punish them - i am sure the cat was lazing around and the croc looking for food.
Old 18th September 2008, 12:16   #20
ECM
BHPian

Well said and somehow I was expecting this,mate we feel sorry to see pain among US citizens but tell me one thing............
Who compared this situation with OUR BIHAR?Our situation in Bihar is far far worst than what we saw in above shots but who remembered our Bihar here?ABSOLUTE NO ONE!Katu(bitter) Satya is this my friend!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Somehow this whole thread having the pics being described as enticing, supershots, thrilling, etc. is very disturbing indeed. Maybe all of us are really using some inappropriate adjectives. These pics need to be looked at with empathy, to say the least. Most of the shots are sad and terrifying to say the least.

No one is here to judge, but please refrain from enjoying (or at least sound like you are enjoying) at the cost of someone else's pain.

Last edited by ECM : 18th September 2008 at 12:18.
Old 18th September 2008, 12:18   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Why does everyone get touchy of all such matters - this is one topic and the other is when any one says anything against the locals.

I am sure all those who used the adjectives didnt mean to say that the effects of the hurricane are superb or anything; rather the pics are quite well shot. No one is happy because the hurricane blew away the city. Comeon guys.

PS: Exception is the thread starter he thinks its nature's way of dealing with crimes made by us humans. sir i dont see the mute animals being spared by these hurricanes too(the cat and croc for example) what crime have they done for nature to punish them - i am sure the cat was lazing around and the croc looking for food.
well said @ spitfire..

@ kalpeshc all of us who have commented on the pics, know the impact of these natural disasters one way or the other..we are not trying to get a kick out of seeing people loose every thing..its just that we are appreciating the photos taken at that time which brings the truth and the suffering that the people are going thru after the devestation..the whole concept of this thread is that..
Old 18th September 2008, 12:28   #22
ECM
BHPian

Dear Spitfire,
GOD= Generator Organizer and Destroyer.
rest I need not to comment,who takes birth got to leave this world one day,try to see nature with neutral way,in 2000-2001 I seldom felt around 900 jolts so I know the power of nature,nature is furious as well as calm,motto of this post is to salute nature's ultimate power wether it is Bihar or Texas.
Old 18th September 2008, 12:48   #23
BANNED

ECM dude you scare me man.

Human is nature too right - why did nature in its infinite wisdom make man? Didnt he/she know man will screw it up?

I dont think i am competent enough to understand God, nature and its relation to us humans.

I am out of this - i was just trying to make folks think a bit rationally. See you in the 4x4 section.
Old 18th September 2008, 13:02   #24
BHPian

The ART touched me before the EMOTIONs. Amazing Photos. Thanks ECM for sharing it.
Old 18th September 2008, 13:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
4th picture in the first post doesn't seem like its taken in US.
Ike passed through the Caribbean causing immense amount of damage there as well.
Old 18th September 2008, 14:47   #26
BHPian

The sad part is Indians have ignored their own misery in Bihar floods
Old 18th September 2008, 14:58   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
The sad part is Indians have ignored their own misery in Bihar floods
By posting pictures we show our concern?

Everyone who has seen the images of Bihar, knowingly or unknowingly in the back of his mind must have prayed for those innocent souls.

I dont understand this line of thought where everyone is harping about no one talking about Bihar and we are talking only of Americans?

And how has anyone ignored the plight in Bihar? I see the relief efforts, dont ask me to board the next relief helicopter to show my concern - i have a job. I pay my taxes honestly and indirectly contribute to the betterment of these people. We have choosen leaders who need to do the needful to help this people, but then thats a different topic all together.

All those thinking we have empathy, sympathy only for Americans think again before touching that keyboard.

As for me i am equally concerned for people everywhere - dont like to make a differentiation, have travelled the world and have see that whatever the country or race it maybe, humanity is alive everywhere.

The boundaries were created by us.
Old 18th September 2008, 18:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

to aerohit,

I have seen the efforts by biharis in US to help those in need back in bihar.

But what pains me is if you look at paper, all bridges and dams in bihar may have already been built, the money pocketed by the politicians and other officials. Why should we elect corrupt people, let them suck the blood out of our economy, and then expect somebody else to help. I believe that was the sentiment that stopped many people from helping out in this case.

If somebody shows empathy towards these hurricanes, it also is backed by the belief that there are active efforts by the affected and the government itself to deal with such calamities.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks