Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

URGENT - Need help from TBHP to trace my father&brother between Manali and Leh.

Folks,

My father and brother went on a trip from Manali to Leh and were expected back in Manali on 20th night. I got a call from my brother on 19th night that they would be leaving Leh by a Sumo early morning on 20th Sep. That has been the final communication from them. I would like sugestions from TBHP folks on how we can trace my Father/ Brother.

Thanks.
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Have you given any Police complaints on this? Try calling up their friends home. Also, try up calling the Police station in Leh & Manali. May get some leads.

Parallely, if you know anybody in Army, they may help out to trace your father and brother.
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Whats their itinerary? Probably telecommunications could be down there. Don't panic. To be on the safe side, register a police complaint with the Manali & Leh police stations via Telephone (if that is possible).
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear that @DieselFan.

Here is the numbers of SP office of Manali
01902-224700/222775.

Also the numbers of Police Station in LEH
01982-52018 and Tourist Reception Centre: 01892-52297

Try contacting them.I hope everything works out fine.
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:47   #5
BHPian

saw this news today.Is there any chance they are among the stranded people ?
http://www.nerve.in/news:253500167776
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Manali - Leh and Rohtang road conditions 2008 - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring.com

Don't worry. BRO takes FULL care of all the people there. You needn't panic. Please be calm - you should hear from them sometime tonight/tomorrow once blockades are cleared and the jams decrease.
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

The Leh-Manali road was closed as of yesterday and it will reopen in 2-3 days. My friend could not cross from Manali yesterday and had to return to Delhi. Hang on, they should be safe and out of reach. There is a lot of snow in Sarchu, Baralacha la and Rohtang Passes. Don't worry.
Old 22nd September 2008, 14:19   #8
Team-BHP Support

Don't worry. BRO maintains track of all people along the route.
Tourists are stranded due to heavy snowfall and BRO is working to clear snow. thankfully the weather system which was dumping snow for the entire week has weakened, and the road is expected to open soon,
Army also needs this road and they will not allow it to close before 15th October.
there is no cell phone network there, so they cannot contact you.
Old 22nd September 2008, 16:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks folks for such overwelming / reassuring response both on this thread and by many PMs I have received. I am sure they are one among the stranded due to the blockage.

With communication cut off all I can do is wait and pray for the blockage to get cleared. Once that happens I presume I will get to hear from them. They are both strong and healthy gentlemen and I am sure they can manage the weather. Is there any other suggestions?
Old 22nd September 2008, 17:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

you can try contacting the tourist Information Centre for updates.

And i believe my tomorrow the road block will be cleared as i gathered from news items.

One more thing,keep browsing "Tribune India" website as they have information about himachal in detail.
Old 22nd September 2008, 18:40   #11
Team-BHP Support

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Himachal Pradesh Edition
400 Stranded still
This is the third day
Quote:
Manali, September 21
The 475-km-long Manali-Leh highway remained closed for the third consecutive day today due to heavy snowfall at the Rohtang Pass.
According to deputy commissioner, Lahaul-Spiti, C. Paul Rasu, 400 persons were still stranded between the Baralacha Pass (4,891 m), Bharatpur and Sarchu (4,253 m). Tourists, drivers of oil tankers and 14 persons from Jispa who were on their way to Sarchu to receive the Karmapa were safe, he added.
Air Force helicopters airdropped blankets, medicines, dry fruits and water bottles for those stranded at Baralacha, Bharatpur and Sarchu, he added.
About 30 labourers were also stranded between Gramphu and Batal on Manali-Kaza road. Most of them reached safely at Khoksar and some of them were staying at the potato farmhouse. He said the administration would try to rescue the stranded people with the help of Air Force personnel tomorrow.
According to Border Roads Organisation (BRO) sources, massive efforts were being made to open the Manali-Leh highway between the Rohtang Pass and Khoksar. BRO teams had been successful in clearing snow up to 55 km from Manali towards Khoksar in the Lahaul valley.
If the weather remained good with no more rain or snow, traffic on the road would be restored tomorrow, sources said.
Old 23rd September 2008, 04:01   #12
BHPian

Don't worry m8,they will definitely return safe n healthy ! Its just that they are stranded coz of the snowfall.
Old 23rd September 2008, 08:03   #13
BHPian

I'd taken the same route last year and was incommunicado for four days as celss don't work and there were no land-lines working on the entire route! I'd encountered a landslide between Shimla and Manali which had taken over 18 hours to clear - that too on the main highway. I'd guess it would take much longer to clear beyond Manali.

The BRO, locals, Army are extremely helpful so don't worry and I'm sure they are alright with plenty of adventures to remember.

We all pray for their safe return soon.
Old 23rd September 2008, 08:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

Good news. Got a call from my brother. They have returned to Leh as there was no sign of quick recovery and reopening of the road. Now they will try getting flight tickets or come via Srinagar/Jammu.

He was narrating a painful story but I belive some of the folks who were old and sick were also Air lifted. BSF/Army were totally professional.

Thanks again for pointers and reassurance.
Old 23rd September 2008, 08:43   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey DieselFan,

That's some great news. And I admire the professionalism of BRO & Army in such situations.

I am sure you must be feeling a lot lot relaxed now.

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks