Team-BHP - Evolution of Robots - Terminator will be a reality sooner than we think
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Evolution of Robots - Terminator will be a reality sooner than we think (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/46266-evolution-robots-terminator-will-reality-sooner-than-we-think.html)

TBHPians,

I love robotics abd the field of AI <Artificial Intelligence> , 5-6 years or more ago, I saw a discovery channel program on how AI had helped two robots to coordinate a task of moving a sofa together. Today I got a mail from my wife about a robot called BigDog,

Seeing the video I'm antonished to see a robot do things which were considered impossible some time ago. From the humanoid robot which can walk from Japan to BigDog ... :thumbs up

Will we soon approach the terminator era? Why not?:D

Boston Dynamics: The Leader in Lifelike Human Simulation

Let me know what you think of this and also people intersted in robotics pls post here. I

man that thing looks freaky :eek:

Was not DARPA responsible for developing the internet also???

Man, that was one hell of video! Look at the way it balanced when it lost its foot hold!

Scary but you got to appreciate the brains behind this.

So, is this the begining....???

Advanced robotics is amazing.

Robots have been playing football championships (ROBOCUP) and are even serving as camel jockeys for sometime now. The best part is the robotcup champions are looking to beat the World Cup Champions by 2050. Would be interesting to see how they react to headbutts and how many red cards they get.

And I think very soon we might actually see cabbies being replaced by courteous Robots!

If people follow Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , we won't be seeing terminators anytime soon. But trusting people with immense power almost always ends badly.

Films like iROBOT and Terminator show what happens when AI takes over by learning the human beings vulnerability ..:Shockked:

Amazing movies .. something to think about.

What next,

1. Soldiers or combat robots
2. maids/servants or work robots
3. manual driven cars or Automated < tracks/destinations /AI in cars>
4. Doctors or doc robots

The list is endless .. ofcourse it will take time but Cyberdyne is around the corner :D

Man that thing is super! The way it regained balance when kicked, slipped on the rubble and on black ice was simply amazing!

simply amazing robot what a balance and look at the kick while jumping.

There's a difference between balancing a dummy robot on a slippery surface and a real humanoid. Anyone who's studied AI in grad school will know all this is just media hype and wishful thinking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reignofchaos (Post 988989)
There's a difference between balancing a dummy robot on a slippery surface and a real humanoid. Anyone who's studied AI in grad school will know all this is just media hype and wishful thinking.

I remember when startrek had communicators which flipped open and we wowed over it .

Today we have similar mobile phones that have come to reality.

Scientists have successfully teleported a proton from one chamber to another showing us that maybe in future teleportation is possible.

When the first book was written on going to space, people laughed over it and mocked the writer, today it's a reality.

What I'm trying to say is that though we still have a long way to go in creating a humanoid which can balance , walk or run .. the BigDog is certainly one step closer to creating a robot which can imitate a human on all terrains.

Will we go into a phase of machines which can think on their own is right now a fantasy which might be a reality someday. But it is so amazing to know all this that's the point.

Got something interesting to share to refuel this thread:

Here are some robot videos from household work all the way to theatre!

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/r...-robot-theater

many lawmakers believe googles driverless cars will be safer since most accidents involve human error. which means many more states will start experimenting with it very soon. today a licensed driver has to be behind the wheeels but googles cars are doing pretty well.