Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2008, 23:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Universities in the US for Masters in Analog Electronics

taking a page out of revvedup's thread, I've decided to kick myself out of this rut of complacency I've fallen into.
Wrote GRE, TOEL up soon. My friends tell me that my score is good , should get me into a good university.

One thing is , i positively dont want to study any more communication theory. positively detest it. Digital ( including VLSI and DSP) are nice, but not my cup of tea. Decided to focus on analog, its a language i can understand.

The sad part is finding the universities with a strong focus on the analog part. So far I've come up with only one
AMSC Group
fits most of my requirements to the tee, but still dont want to put all my eggs in the same basket. Any other universities which have good courses in analog/mixed signal ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS:To those who might suggest that i look to areas other than analog, i really am not very serious about making a career out of this. am planning to study it purely for the love of it. If i just wanted a job in electronics field, or just a high paying job, I'm sure there would have been a lot of other easier ways for me
Thanks
Old 30th September 2008, 12:59   #2
BHPian

Ok, I don't get why you want to study the subject and not have a career in it. If you love it so much, then you should work in it.
I am not sure of the off chip analog but, a lot of analog work exists in the VLSI domain and you can look at good old favs like Berkely, MIT and Caltech if you have the aptitude for it.
Old 30th September 2008, 13:01   #3
BHPian

If you can get in there: UCB would be the place to be in. Thats the place where greats like Gray teach.

Your desire to do analog is great, don't drown it. And, if you are good, you will make hell a lot of money too..

If you are serious about this, let me know. I will talk to some knowledgeable guys in the area of analog design in the industry and find out more..When I say analog, I mean people working on analog/mixed signal ICs.

Last edited by Su-47 : 30th September 2008 at 13:15.
Old 30th September 2008, 14:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

@ pitbull, what I meant was, I am not in it for the money. I might even think about going the whole hog and doing a PhD ( not sure at this point though )

Thanks for the info Su 47, will do some checking up on UCB. I am serious. planning to join in fall 2010
Old 30th September 2008, 14:29   #5
Team-BHP Support

Try and get a job in ADI or TI or any other large MNC. Maybe even apply for internship. And then apply for MS after some time.
Its very difficult to get into a good university without any work experience.
However with a good score you can try UT Dallas. They have quite a focussed group.

PM me your email address and your work experience(if any), I will ask around and let you know.

Incidently IISC and Mtech in IITs are pretty hot on analog design. You need not go to USofA. Good chance of landing job in Freescale.ADI,TI after IISC/IITs
Make sure you have mind boggling GATE percentile

PS: I fear analog design, and run as fast as I can whenever I hear the word Analog

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th September 2008 at 14:30.
Old 30th September 2008, 14:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Incidently IISC and Mtech in IITs are pretty hot on analog design.

PS: I fear analog design, and run as fast as I can whenever I hear the word Analog
I too have heard good stuff about IITM's analog courses.

tsk, Your postscript reminds me of something one of my prof's from IISc once said: If you can't do analog, try digital. Those who can't even do digital, can work in software . Of course, I don't agree with him. And yeah, I do digital design for a living.
Old 30th September 2008, 16:44   #7
BANNED

greenhorn you can try any of the state Unis in TX and AZ as they are quite reputed for Analog stuff and have numerous Analog electronic companies around that hub.
You can also checkout the IITs but they are not that glamorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
tsk, Your postscript reminds me of something one of my prof's from IISc once said: If you can't do analog, try digital. Those who can't even do digital, can work in software . Of course, I don't agree with him. And yeah, I do digital design for a living.
yeah, this non-sense is being dished out by all the old timers to glorify their vocations. But, yes, analog is tough compared to digital but what the heck, the market is predominantly digital
Old 1st October 2008, 07:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

the only reason I've kept off IIT's so far is that I dont/cant find the time to brush up on everything i learnt in college to crack GATE, and a mind boggling GATE percentlie is even harder. A friend of mine who is more dedicated quit and is going for GATE coaching now. I on the other hand , can't afford to. so GRE/MS is more convenient, since I'll have to follow up on the academics after i get into college.

I too would really prefer to study in india as well, but the admission process here is tilted more towards academics :(
Old 1st October 2008, 12:37   #9
BHPian

" An analog designer looks at himself as a lone cowboy looking over the sheep of the digital world "

I can't remember who said that but that did inspire me once upon a time. Altough I finally landed up in digital too, that line still makes me want to go back to analog.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks