Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2008, 08:30   #31
Team-BHP Support

Even though I smoke, I welcome this rule. I think it will help me too. However, I can't help thinking that it gives our cops another opportunity to raid places and make money.
One more thing I can't understand is that smoking is not allowed in a private office, but, permitted on the road. Isn't the road a public place?
Old 1st October 2008, 08:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

Today 1 October smoking banned in office premises.

I can see the restless in smokers
Old 1st October 2008, 08:46   #33
BHPian

i am 100% for this rule.

there are similar laws in Australia and UK that ban smoking in places like offices, pubs, restaurants etc. everyone walks to the road side or a small lane to take a puff.

no one protests there because they are educated and aware. only here, the educated illiterates make noise about the right to smoke.
Old 1st October 2008, 09:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Woooohoooo!!!

Much like noses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikkumar View Post
Wow!!! Not much left to say to someone who believes that laws are meant to be broken.
If someone comes between me and my ciggarette , i cant tolerate it

EXCEPTION : my GF!
Old 1st October 2008, 11:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

I am all for this rule BUT this is India. There is going to be a lot of hue and cry and noise about this for about a week. After that everything will go back to how it was.

I say this because it's not just smokers but even hotel and restaurant owners who are against this rule. Whats ultimately going to happen is people will smoke, non-smokers will complain and restaurant management will just shrug their shoulders and say people like to smoke if they drink and we can't do anything about it. In that situation, what does a non-smoker do? Either complain (to who? how? how do we know action will be taken?) or walk out (precious few like me will do it. Restuarant owners wouldn't care anyway if I do that) or just sit back and tolerate the crap (majority will do this). That's India. Mera Bharat Mahan.
Old 1st October 2008, 11:50   #36
BHPian

Great Move !!

Only if the law can be implemented and followed up. I am very much with the health minister.
Old 1st October 2008, 11:56   #37
BHPian

These laws are a welcome move, but in the end , it will only become a tool for the authorities to harass the hotel owners and other establishments and get a bribe.
I hope the laws don't end up like many other laws which are formed, but not implemented. For these laws to be implemented the onus is on the user, who needs to understand the need to not smoke at public places.
Old 1st October 2008, 11:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

In the morning the thread icon was thumbs down, now its thumbs up. Whats going on ?
?
Old 1st October 2008, 12:04   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
In the morning the thread icon was thumbs down, now its thumbs up. Whats going on ?
?
The "Thumbs Down" was a mistake. It was changed to "Thumbs Up" on request.
Old 1st October 2008, 12:05   #40
Senior - BHPian

Well is smoking on the road permitted?
Old 1st October 2008, 12:41   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
One more thing I can't understand is that smoking is not allowed in a private office, but, permitted on the road. Isn't the road a public place?
The rule is framed such that enclosed places frequented by people (Restaurants etc.,) need to have separate smoking area.
Old 1st October 2008, 13:09   #42
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Every day at traffic signals as I wait at redlights I find so many more simply going through with no care. Obviously you are breaking a law everytime you go through a redlight, not to mention the immense risk you pose to others crossing the intersection. The fact remains that enforcing the law is more ciritical than anything else.

Likewise the anti smoking legislation is a step in the right direction, but how will this be enforced? and who will enforce it? We don't have enough staff in police to regulate traffic, regulating smokers? tough cookie.

That said I must congratulate the Union Health Minister for this bold initiative.

I am further delighted that the Supreme Court is finally doing its bit at shattering the arrogant belief of so many people that by going to court one can short circuit just about anything. ITC deserved that smack in the face. About time.
Old 1st October 2008, 13:42   #43
BHPian

Good move, indeed. It will definitely reduce smoking in some cases. In Bangy, for eg, people who would take a quick smoke in the staircase or terrace, would now need to go outside the techpark for a puff. Surely this should reduce the number of cigarettes smoked.

People who used to passive smoke in office staircases before can now 'breathe' a 'clean' sigh of relief.
Old 1st October 2008, 14:14   #44
Senior - BHPian

I'm an ex-smoker. Of all the airborne irritants it's the cigarette smoke that irritates me the most. I very much appreciate this move and i hope that the govt succeeds in enforcing this.
Old 1st October 2008, 14:14   #45
BANNED

This legislation is a welcome move and as such the law is reasonably worded and not too difficult to implement.

I agree that the compliance part is going to be a problem and if kept up to it we may have reasonable compliance in a couple of years too.

Just remember the days when people used to smoke in BMTC(Aka.. BTS) buses many years back even when we there was the no-smoking sign attached. But with good follow up and some hard compliance checking by Conductors this practice is almost non-existent now. Similarly we will have some loose adherence but if we keep up the focus the percentage complying will improve over time.

That said I also feel that we shouldn't totally alienate those who wish to smoke and they should also have some easily accessible designated areas to puff away happily. Also some zones which have no such restrictions
should also be entertained. Because when we go out with friends and relatives we need not pushed to chose locations just because one of them wants to smoke a small

Last edited by zaks : 1st October 2008 at 14:15.

Most Viewed