Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2008, 21:32   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
If i have to meet her or similar , i avoid ciggarettes completely
I can understand meeting the girlfriend. It's the similar bit that got my attention.

You have ladies around you that are similar to your girlfriend? And they don't let you smoke either?
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2008, 22:18   #92
Senior - BHPian

I gave up smoking. And yet no girlfriend. :( Poor me.
Old 2nd October 2008, 22:39   #93
Team-BHP Support

nothing much changed at the smoking joint near my house yet, and no one stopped me for a 200 Rs tab on the road either.

Living dangerously Jaggu

ps: If am caught and being charged 200 Rs, will they atleast let me finish my ciggie AND will that challan hold good for a day like traffic challans?
Old 2nd October 2008, 22:46   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I gave up smoking. And yet no girlfriend. :( Poor me.
Don't give up. Hang in there. Somewhere there is a girl for you. lol
Old 2nd October 2008, 22:53   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Somewhere there is a girl for you. lol
who smokes maybe
Old 2nd October 2008, 23:17   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can understand meeting the girlfriend. It's the similar bit that got my attention.

You have ladies around you that are similar to your girlfriend? And they don't let you smoke either?
LOL...yeti will never let an opportunity to laugh go unnoticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
But I must say I am happy that such a bold step has been initiated against the powerful tobacco lobby and against all odds, such a controversial move before elections.
actually, I think at least in one case (yours), Ramadoss was able to achieve his objective (popularity).
Old 3rd October 2008, 00:22   #97
Sar
BHPian

I love reading these posts, especially ones as controversial as these. I love my country, but a smoking ban in effect, really? What I'd love to see banned is the use of the public roads/lanes/railway tracks as lavatories, people who chew paan & spit the stuff all over. I could go on. Is this ban only in effect in the big cities? What happens in the little villages where the old farmer smokes his bidi or hookah, what of him? I'm a bit fuzzy with all the details.

Will wait patiently for all the updates, wonder how this will turn out ?
Old 3rd October 2008, 01:15   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have some girls who don't allow me to smoke when i am with them, some allow me to do so

and 2 of them smoke with me
Old 3rd October 2008, 03:20   #99
Senior - BHPian

Working with Dell as of now
now I see the usual crowd outside the gate(thats the only difference for now)
Old 3rd October 2008, 03:25   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Your points are bold indeed.

But as far as reading the law carefully Mayavi - I suggest you do the same too.

If the owners of Pubs, Bars and Discos designate their entire area as 100% smoke zones, you do realise that they can no longer serve food and drinks in that entire Pub, Bar or Disco, right?
I read that Sam and interpreted it differently (and probably correctly). I think the law means that if there are designated smoking area's, the owners should not offer services which non-smokers are likely to use in that area. For example the Bar where drinks are served should not be designated as smoke zone as a non-smoker will also get his/her drinks from the same bar. So the smoking zone should be away from the bar. This is the same reason why smoking areas should not be near and entrance or exit.

Even if my interpretation is wrong, still it doesn't mean that services are banned in smoking area. The owner of the facility may be banned from serving me but no one can stop me from eating my food or drinking my beer in a smoking area.
Old 3rd October 2008, 04:25   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
Most of the MNC’s are going tobacco free campus, its one of the kind initiative taken by the company for caring for there employees health.
In addition to employees health, the companies are also caring for themselves. Frequent smoking breaks cost a lot to the company.

Ofcourse it is also a good thing that it makes non-smokers life easy. Smokers are outnumbered by non-smokers by 9:1, so majority should be cared for.
Old 3rd October 2008, 07:22   #102
Senior - BHPian

well then, minorities should not be discriminated against no
Old 3rd October 2008, 09:00   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
In addition to employees health, the companies are also caring for themselves. Frequent smoking breaks cost a lot to the company.

Ofcourse it is also a good thing that it makes non-smokers life easy. Smokers are outnumbered by non-smokers by 9:1, so majority should be cared for.
Ho boy.. are you from analitics or from capacity planning department

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I think this is anti smoking turned full circle and is now a stupid nuisance.

When we anyways live and breathe such polluted air, it is highly inconsequential if some of my colleagues want to light up.

This just encourages clandestine smoking in any possible areas rather than improving health or providing a comfortable working environment to non-smokers.

Stupid.

PS: Am a non-smoker.
Comfortable working environment? Then for some people having a 90 at beginning of there work would be ccomfortable. This initiative has been planned by keeping the health factor of the employees. Most of the call centers in country are filled with young people. They don’t know what is good and what’s bad. Some of them think smoking is the passion.

Companies have not just flagged off the rules of tobacco free campus, but even they are helping there employees on how to get rid off that habit.

I am a non-smoker, but most of my friends smoke cigarettes. It’s my duty to tell them what is the after effect of the smoking, some of them will listen and try to reduce the numbers of cigarettes they smoke and some think I am just giving them gyan and smokes off my words.
Old 3rd October 2008, 10:05   #104
BHPian

While the intentions are good, but this is a clear intrusion in individual's personal space. When there are specific smoking zones, I see no reason make the entire campus a non-smoking area and asking the employees to get to the roads for a smoke. This is discrimination.

Btw, I do not smoke cigarettes on a regular basis. I do smoke cigars once in a while.
Old 3rd October 2008, 10:20   #105
Team-BHP Support

Questions:

I work in a large complex that houses many companies. There are some shops adjacent to each other. They include a bakery and cig shop. The cig shop also sells puffs, tea, coffee and soft drinks. People smoke in front of this shop all the time. I used to do so myself till last month.
Can this cig shop legally operate given the implementation of this law.
Can people smoke anywhere within this complex.
There is open area but no special marking anywhere mentioning this area is smoke allowed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks