Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2018, 12:16   #136
BHPian

Re: Help. People parking in front of our house. How to deal with them ?

Reopening this thread.

There is a renowned temple near my house. Occasionally idiots park their cars in front of my gate in the morning and I end up having to take uber to office. As of now I just post a hand written note on their windscreen sarcastically stating them to have a miserable time for being an idiot with no concern about others.

An autorickshaw driver who saw my ordeal today told me to call the police control room and they would in turn give me the phone number of the owner. I did not try that since I wanted to check if that's a correct option. Any opinion?
Old 16th April 2018, 12:31   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
Reopening this thread.

There is a renowned temple near my house. Occasionally idiots park their cars in front of my gate in the morning and I end up having to take uber to office. As of now I just post a hand written note on their windscreen sarcastically stating them to have a miserable time for being an idiot with no concern about others.
Why don't you simply start by placing cones at your place? People will mostly not move the cone and park their car there then.

Quote:
An autorickshaw driver who saw my ordeal today told me to call the police control room and they would in turn give me the phone number of the owner. I did not try that since I wanted to check if that's a correct option. Any opinion?
Even if that's an option, Do you want to do that every day with different cars and owners? Simply block the place.
Old 16th April 2018, 13:14   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post

There is a ... others.

An autorickshaw driver who saw my ordeal today told me to call the police control room and they would in turn give me the phone number of the owner.
Any opinion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Simply block the place.

Am assuming that the road you are talking about is Town Planning (TP) road. Giving traffic police a call rarely helps I guess. You cant call traffic police daily as a part of your routine. The only option you have is to block the space as mentioned by Tanveer_2558. Probably, use your own car to park adjacent to or in front of your gate.

I learnt this lesson very hard way by not blocking the space. Once had to take the car out in urgency but my gate was blocked. Now, I always keep one car outside the gate and the larger machine inside my compound.
Old 9th October 2020, 08:45   #139
BHPian

Bumping up this thread!

As often is the case in Delhi, I park my car across the street from our house sandwiched against block garden's grill. It is an unsaid etiquette to reserve the space opposite your gate. While no one has put a 'No Parking' board yet; when I first moved in a couple of years ago, some residents did deflate my tyres till they realized that I was a new tenant.

Once in a while, someone from further down the colony will come and park their car in front of my house. One time it was an Innova taxi and the owner removed his vehicle after I called on the listed number.

Earlier this week it was a Teana with a Gujarat number plate. Someone might have guests visiting and decided to invite themselves into my parking spot! I put up a couple of Post-it notes saying 'Please don't park in front of my house' That did the trick but I'm wondering if its worthwhile printing a flex board and stringing it up at the spot (using some cable ties to attach it to the garden grill)?
Old 9th October 2020, 09:29   #140
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

A lot of suggestions already, here's one more - park your own old/beater car as a filler in the space where others park. Or, see if you can get one of the local street vendors to leave their push cart in that space during the afternoon/peak parking time.

Last edited by NPV : 9th October 2020 at 09:31.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 09:40   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Bumping up this thread!

As often is the case in Delhi, I park my car across the street from our house sandwiched against block garden's grill. It is an unsaid etiquette to reserve the space opposite your gate. While no one has put a 'No Parking' board yet; when I first moved in a couple of years ago, some residents did deflate my tyres till they realized that I was a new tenant.
Frankly, no one has a right to own or reserve a piece of the road. It is a public road. However, you could all collectively work with the local corporation and make it residents parking only and pay for monthly/annual passes. As for visitors - allow free parking during specific times or each resident purchases a booklet of guest passes which you fill in the guest car details and pop it in the windscreen

Last edited by ajmat : 9th October 2020 at 09:52.
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 09:50   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Frankly, no one has a right to own reserver a piece of the road. It is a public road.
Fair enough. But at the same time, no one has the right to block someone else from removing their car, opening their gate or just passing through the road because of the way their car is parked.

I've been through this on and off. The roads in our area are really narrow and unfortunately, most people don't plan for parking when constructing houses but depend on the road for parking. A lot of them have SUVs, there's even an actual tractor parked on the road near my place! Over time the neighbors have worked out what needs to be done, the issue starts when guests arrive and park any and everywhere and block the road. At one time, we were returning from work at about 10pm, it was raining heavily and hey, there's a car parked right in front of the house, blocking a part of the gate, so we can't even get our car inside the house! (And we're one of the few houses that actually has parking inside the compound.)

Several times, we've had to come out of the house in the middle of a meal or a movie, to hear angry honking and hear abuses for someone else's car that's parked in front of the house, blocking the already narrow road.

So in general, yes, keep cool and try to work things out, but sometimes in cases like this, it's a bit hard to keep calm. Some people don't understand that parking is a privilege, not a right that and using the road for permanent parking is just wrong! At the very least, if you are parking in front of someone else's house, leave a post-it note with your phone number so other drivers can call you if the car is causing an issue.

Last edited by am1m : 9th October 2020 at 09:53.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 12:59   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Frankly, no one has a right to own or reserve a piece of the road. It is a public road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Fair enough. But at the same time, no one has the right to block someone else from removing their car, opening their gate or just passing through the road because of the way their car is parked.
True. However, in my colony the RWA seems fairly hands-off with the parking issues. Most tenant/home-owners seem to figure out an arrangement by themselves. Ideally, I wish the State Government/NDMC would intervene and law down guidelines on parking spaces in residential areas. I think the Government of NCT did come out with something recently, but it hasn't been implemented on the ground yet.

Till then it's every man/woman for him/herself.
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 14:09   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Ideally, I wish the State Government/NDMC would intervene and law down guidelines on parking spaces in residential areas. I think the Government of NCT did come out with something recently, but it hasn't been implemented on the ground yet.
There is some sort of draft policy in place. At least in Bangalore:

http://www.urbantransport.kar.gov.in...cy%20Draft.pdf

Section 5, Policy 4 deals with restricting parking in residential areas.

BUT loooong way to go before it even becomes a regulation. And even then doubt anything real will happen. After all, there are already laws to penalize breaking red lights, driving/riding on the wrong side of the road, and on footpaths, but...

So doubt this will ever work out. Each neighborhood needs to reach some sort of internal/informal agreement, that's all. And once in a while hassles will happen, just have to live with it.

Last edited by am1m : 9th October 2020 at 14:16.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 14:29   #145
HTC
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This is bit of grey area. Our thinking varies depending on what situation we are in. If im visiting some other place and trying to park next to road in front of a house, someone comes and says you cant park here. Fair enough, you move to next available place there also same thing happens. Thats when I asked, one of the person objecting my parking next to road side parking ( ofcourse without blocking gate ) - " do you keep your car in your pocket when you go to visit other places?" . Its a public place and they dont own the road. But again, it was on back of my mind that they may deflate, but nothing happened .

Otherway round, next to our apartment ( small apt, with 30 houses) we have broad roads. And neighbouring area is filled with small low income houses( no offense to any). Most of them own cabs. They have made the road side permanent parking for their cars. Once in a month, we cant even park outside and wash our cars. Adding to that, due to lockdown, no cabs are running. They sit in groups in car and play music, have drinks, use foul languag..what not. We and neighbouring apartments collected 60k and got no parking sign boards installed through traffic police. Still nothing has changed.

Unless there is clear and strict rules mentioned, its a dicey situation.
Old 9th October 2020, 15:05   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

As long as one is not blocking your gate or entrance to your home, one cannot really object someone parking on the road. This is the ideal thing. However, things do not work so ideally. The street in front of our house is packed with cars and two wheelers. Almost no one has a in house parking. So all two wheelers and cars are parked on the roads.
We have two cars and once of them is parked inside the gate. The other one is parked right next to the compound parallel to it but not blocking the road. This is the only space we have that is kind of reserved. We do not have 'no parking' sign. However, now and then some kind soul will come and park in that spot if it is empty. I do not have an issue if i know when the other car will come back. If our other car comes back home when 'our' space' is occupied, we do not have anywhere to park. We literally have to go 250 to 300 meters to find a parking spot.
Old 26th November 2023, 16:30   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

The American wrath with nuggets of their sense of humour are evidenced on these parking notes and a memento.

The crankily parked cars got these notes from property inhabitants that make us giggle.

And the memento in the image below came in the form of peanut butter smeared on the windscreen of a car.

Help.  People parking in front of our house. How to deal with them ?-anyonewantssomepeanutbutter.jpg-2.jpg

Help.  People parking in front of our house. How to deal with them ?-whatgrammat.jpg-1.jpg

Help.  People parking in front of our house. How to deal with them ?-loveyourneighbor.jpg.jpg

Help.  People parking in front of our house. How to deal with them ?-sorryihityourcar.jpg.jpg

Some more on this link, the source of these images:-

https://www.tiparents.com/worldwide/...6oeds53UioyTAQ

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 26th November 2023 at 16:33.
Old 26th November 2023, 16:48   #148
BHPian

In New Delhi, residential buildings are not allowed to be more than 50 Ft. in height. This allows construction of Four Floors. Considering so many residents and their vehicles, it is mandatory to have stilt parking at Ground level and residential floors above in all new Approved construction.
Yet, other outsiders do park in front of their house and block th Gate. One has to be a bit rude with neighborhood in this regard to deter them from parking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks