Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2008, 16:46   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
You could also find an old junk car and park it there blocking C1 but leaving room for you to get out. You are "restoring" it. That is your excuse.

If people get irrate and damge it, well, it's a junker, who cares?
that's a clever idea... weld your post box onto it and your postman will never miss it!
Old 10th October 2008, 18:02   #17
BANNED

Buy a jeep. You would not care if it scraps the parked cars, would you?

And damage to it would minimal.
Old 10th October 2008, 20:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
There was an article in ToI - Delhi Times some time ago, in this the same question was addressed. Legally the road belongs to town/society and you have no locus standi to restrict anybody from parking there.

In fact the article went on to state that if you put notice to stop people from parking there it might be interpreted as an infringement over state's rights, since the land belongs to state.

\N
Thanks a lot for this peice of information.
Now all the doors of houses of other houses open on the road. We have compound wall, they dont. So in a similar fashion, if I park M800 in front of their house, they cant raise an alarm. Right ?
If its T.P. road, then I will call my friends to play cricket and rest will be car owner's responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
move your mailbox near c1 and put flower pots etc around that.
let people park at c2 then.

if it is a townroad, approach the local municipality / police and get them to put up a no-parking road

if you can get your hands on a couple of police type red traffic cones, put them outside

a friend of mine made holes in the road and put metal pipes and chains. municipal corporation removed them after 2years and he's getting them re-put now after claiming he had no idea who did it earlier.

ask municipal corporation to construct a small footpath touching the wall

paint no-parking signs on the wall
The mailbox is integrated into wall with coping and is not on the top. Its flush fiting. We dont want to mess up with our strong wall with coping. Seems good idea though. Will be considering.

Recently, new pipe lines were installed, so the pipeline option is distant possibility.
Painting is the best option with some sticker like " for the damage done, car owners will be responsible ".

The people of other society ( just adjecent to block2 in image ) have constructed illegal boundary wall ( yes, encroachment ) and they are using all their influence to prevent the involvement of muncipal co-orperation, else 3 feet land will be gone for around 100 mtrs. of theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
I am sure you would have already thought about this. Try widening the gate so that you can take the cars out easily and don't think anyone would park infront of your gate. I know it is a slightly difficult task to remove one of the pillars to widen your gate but still its worth it as this will permanently free you from this problem.
Agian, this was done once. Now the gate isj 10 ft. wide, but the road is 29.7ft wide. Add to that in front of ( just to south of gate of Block1, there is one small box ( telephone ), so 1 feet gone there. So the problem of taking out cars remains. If we move our gate towards North, then the house also has 1 .5 feet cement layer on the road. Still approach wont be that much better. but agian a good option.

Quote:
everyday at noon scatter nails at c1 and c2. soon people will stop parking after getting their tyres punctured regularly.
or scatter metre long strips of barbed wire in those places.
just don't get caught doing it!

the best way in india to stop people parking (although i personally hate ..
Well, its T.P. road, so now I can do anything! Nice idea for those who dont have common sense.
But no misuse of religious place here. I hate it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.jhamb View Post
why dont you use C1 and C2 area for parking your own cars in such a way that no body else can park their car over their.
use big stones(the ones which are used for divider construction)and keep it in the middle of parking space.or get two poles near c1 and c2 and tie a chain around them with a normal lock.
People damage our cars. They already think that because we have two cars, we are suppossed to pay the max for street light bills, etc. Cant take that risk. Already our two wheelers were damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
You can move the mail box to your front gate easily and let them have C2. The pipe laying solution, above, is clever and non-destructive. You could also find an old junk car and park it there blocking C1 but leaving room for you to get out. You are "restoring" it. That is your excuse.

If people get irrate and damge it, well, it's a junker, who cares?
Restoring is good option. Regarding the letter box and pipeline, I have explained it and not possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Buy a jeep. You would not care if it scraps the parked cars, would you?

And damage to it would minimal.
If I had sufficient finance, I would prefer going to better locality. Sure. But dont have enough finance now.

So what I think is this:

1) Just above C1, we have balcony. House maid cleaning the first floor, throws all dirt on cars!

2) Call friends to play " cricket " and rest car owner's responsibility.

3) The most irritating. Block2 is the one to casue most irritation. Our society is tenaments, but we bought a seperate plot and constructed in our own way. So Block2 was a single floor house. Two floors where above it where owner lives ( first and second floor occupied by owners ) and ground floor is given on rent. Those who come to stay on rent park their vehicles here and without common sense. The house next to Bock1 is again following the foot steps of Block2 and have created a 1ft high cement layer eating 1.5 ft on road.

4) Thanks for all the responses. Mostly no cutting of gates or mailbox will be done. Gate has been redesigned second time. Not again.

5) Would like to know your opinions on throwing dust from balcony and cricket option.

6) If the road is T.P. then does it mean it can be utilized by people to park ? I can call some of my friends to park their cars in front of their homes.

7) We dont have a camera at home and my L6's pc suite is not picking up phone or else I could have given you better picutres ( real ).
Old 10th October 2008, 20:20   #19
Team-BHP Support

I read a very good solution somewhere on the forum for this problem. My friend had the same problem and he tried out the solution.

Write on an A4 size paper Please do not park here. Use very sticky dirty post office glue, spread it messily all over the back of the paper. Now go and stick the paper on the front windshield of the car. You need to keep at it for a few days. Generally the cars parked there are usual offenders. Once they find out what is going on they will stop immediately.

My friend had instructed his maid to do this everytime someone would park close to their gate. He didn't have a car till recently and most people knew that so they were parking in front of his gate. But once he got a car it was a pain if someone would park their car and disappear and if he wanted to go out. I read this solution and team-bhp and it worked like a charm.
Old 10th October 2008, 20:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I read a very good solution somewhere on the forum for this problem. My friend had the same problem and he tried out the solution.

Write on an A4 size paper Please do not park here. Use very sticky dirty post office glue, spread it messily all over the back of the paper. Now go and stick the paper on the front windshield of the car. You need to keep at it for a few days. Generally the cars parked there are usual offenders. Once they find out what is going on they will stop immediately.
My biggest problem is that these people happen to know us well and infact the offenders also know us. The relations are not good and their kids throw small stones at our home. We regularly find stones on our terrace. Our Solar Gizer panel was just saved from these stones when I went to terrace to clean the panel.

To be very precise, what I am looking forward to is a solution where , just as now we are not able to do wrong/destructive activities becasue of social relations, I want to do something similar where even they wont be able to do anything under similar social pressures.

But your solution is great when someone who doesnt know us ( usually guest at other homes ) and park badly, I will surely be implementing this. Sure. And I promise I will use the worst available glue and stick it on front windsheild and hood.
Great.
Old 10th October 2008, 20:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

Its your own neighbourhood after all.

From what you have mentioned, I see that I have always lived in an area having far more constrictions without realising those as a hassle. On lifting the garage gate I have found cars parked right in front of it, but nothing that creates too much of a trouble, as people keep a watch and within moments its clear. When I am trying to back up into it, there are rickshows cycles and what not. Neighbours and me ensure that I am able to park my car without issues (all it takes is a little information be given).

Sweeping dirt on somebody else's car, damaging somebody else's car on grounds of playing cricket. I dont think I quite like those idea's. Even the idea's of encroachment with the mailbox etc.

If you can play cricket in your area, thats great, you will build friendship and rapport. Soon your problems will be over.
Old 10th October 2008, 20:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

One other option:

Try and string a few wires just above where the cars are usually parked (like power lines/cable lines passing overhead). Encourage the neighborhood crows to hang out on the lines. Maybe feeding them stuff off on compound wall adjacent to where the cars are parked might help. In a bit of time, the cars will suffer from heavy "bombing" from the crows. The owners will automatically stop parking the cars there.

One side effect I can see here, is that your cars/house might also suffer a bit if the crows really like the place.
Old 10th October 2008, 20:35   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Try the munnabhai technique. Next time someone tries to park, get down and guide their car properly and smile at them and say "thank you for inconveniencing me."

But on a serious note, try to have a dialogue with the repeat offenders. Tell them to park one car between c1 & c2. That way, your mailbox won't be affected and nor will your ingress & egress.

Maybe you could put a small note under their wipers outlining your difficulties in a polite manner. Don't stick - If anyone did that to my car, i'd kill them!
Old 10th October 2008, 20:37   #24
BANNED

I must warn you that these are no ordinary people, you are dealing with complete scumbags who have no respect for others basic rights. Same thing used to happen in front of our gates too. After trying all peaceful means & efforts, problem still persisted, we got so infuriated that concrete steps had to be taken. So, the only way left was to deflate tyres of any & every vehicle parked outside our gate & this we did. It was just a matter of some time before every rascal stopped parking in front of the gate & we were relieved.
Don't fear these law breakers, deflate there tyres with confidence, this will bear fastest results.
Best of luck!
Old 10th October 2008, 20:44   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Relax bhp1. you should be called bhp10,000!!!!

IMHO let him try peaceful means without getting all too aggressive

scumbags sometimes can take revenge and then things may spiral outta hand...
Old 10th October 2008, 21:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hydra's suggestion is a good one. Make sure you feed the cows just outside your house(not in front of ur gate though ). So much so that they all squat there . That ways no one can park there as they would have to hurt the cows and will be afraid that the cows may damage their vehicles.
Old 10th October 2008, 21:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Its your own neighbourhood after all. ...

Sweeping dirt on somebody else's car, damaging somebody else's car on grounds of playing cricket. I dont think I quite like those idea's. Even the idea's of encroachment with the mailbox etc.

If you can play cricket in your area, thats great, you will build friendship and rapport. Soon your problems will be over.
Sir,
1) I am attaching another image that will clarify to you that we have already done enough. There was a small ( approx 10ft X7ft ) plot attached with our plot, but we have not constructed anthing or we havent build anything on it becasue we knew it will create more accidents.
South of that plot is the approach of society. So if we had constructed gate on this plot, we wont have these issues but the accidents on the two blind corners would go up.
These people gathered when digging work was going on for our wall to see if we did any encroachments.
Moreover, they came and told us to leave a lot of space for the road. Had they paid for land, would they do the same ?
Problem is , even if for 5 minutes if I park my Zeus near their wall, they would scream and say not here. Once when our guest visited us ( 55 year old man on scooter ) they told our guest not to park even near their wall let alone door or gate.

Help.  People parking in front of our house. How to deal with them ?-tbhp-parking-problem1.jpg
The red circle ( sorry for improper drawing ) shows the place we have not taken possession of in order to aviod trouble in the already narrow roads.
The black oval shows the place where they wanted us to leave land for the road.
Moreover our compund wall was damaged twice by the trucks than came in for other's construction, house shifting, etc. Who is responsible for these ?
I hope I have clarified my part.

2) Since 8 years, 8-18 year kids everyday play cricket in front of our house and not on the ground just 10mrts away. Their ball would land up on our doors, windows, cars, panels, and if we refused to give ball back to those kids, their parents will come to fight. So this is another problem. Thats why the cricket option came to my mind.

3) Your are very correct and a very, very peace loving person.

I admire you but peaceful ways with these people dont work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
One other option:

Try and string a few wires just above where the cars are usually parked (like power lines/cable lines passing overhead). Encourage the neighborhood crows to hang out on the lines. Maybe feeding them stuff off on compound wall adjacent to where the cars are parked might help. In a bit of time, the cars will suffer from heavy "bombing" from the crows. The owners will automatically stop parking the cars there.

One side effect I can see here, is that your cars/house might also suffer a bit if the crows really like the place.
Wow, but then even our compound gets dirty.

Quote:
Try the munnabhai technique. Next time someone tries to park, get down and guide their car properly and smile at them and say "thank you for inconveniencing me."

But on a serious note, try to have a dialogue with the repeat offenders. Tell them to park one car between c1 & c2. That way, your mailbox won't be affected and nor will your ingress & egress.

Maybe you could put a small note under their wipers outlining your difficulties in a polite manner. Don't stick - If anyone did that to my car, i'd kill them!
We had mutliple dialogs and these issues were raised in Society meeting also, but the problem remians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
I must warn you that these are no ordinary people, you are dealing with complete scumbags who have no respect for others basic rights. Same thing used to happen in front of our gates too. After trying all peaceful means & efforts, problem still persisted, we got so infuriated that concrete steps had to be taken. So, the only way left was to deflate tyres of any & every vehicle parked outside our gate & this we did. It was just a matter of some time before every rascal stopped parking in front of the gate & we were relieved.
Don't fear these law breakers, deflate there tyres with confidence, this will bear fastest results.
Best of luck!
This was the first thought that crossed my mind. I would rather plant nails at night ( I have to work a lot on night, so no issues here ) and next when they try to reverse or forward, they will learn a lesson.

Now :
1) Deflate tyres.
2) Cricket.
3) Dirt throwing.
4) Sticking paper. If anybody dares to raise a voice against me, they wont like me or my anger.

I will be trying these.

But more innovative and peaceful methods are welcome. I dont have many.

EDIT:
@tejas@pariompi:
The reason I am against using their own tricks on them. I dont want things to get very rough. Its my last alternative.

@samboy : They also feed cows and in more numbers. so this wont work.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 10th October 2008 at 21:09.
Old 10th October 2008, 21:06   #28
BANNED

@Tejas, wise choice, but I tried all peaceful means 1st., as I said earlier too, but these fell on deaf ears & only after exhausting all peaceful means & wasting time did I adopt the most successful method.
IMO, when one is right, there should be no fear! Afterall Agoga. is fighting for his right.

I'll suggest more novel peaceful means:
-Scratch their cars badly in dark or when no one is watching.
-Try to open their fuel lid with some tool or master key & add jaggery in it.
-Throw paint on their cars under shadow of dark.
-Let your gate open outwards & bang into their vehicles.

Try these, in the meantime I'll update on more ideas.

Last edited by bhp1 : 10th October 2008 at 21:13.
Old 10th October 2008, 21:07   #29
BANNED

@hydrashok - that is certainly a good option. And by far, the most "untraceable" one!!!

Get the local cablewala, or failing them, the MTNL/BSNL linemen.

And yes, most other solutions including my jeep one, will certainly spoil the social relationship.

Cricket - what if the cars return after the game of cricket?
Old 10th October 2008, 21:09   #30
BHPian

You can try what ankit has suggested. Park one of your cars in C1 for a week and see what happens.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks