Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2009, 14:39   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
@anupmathur- nothing personal against you.
Glad to see a reaction!
You are invited to hold it against me personally, just as long as you are willing to honestly take stock of things around us and seriously question whether we are fit to govern ourselves?!
I'm too old to care what you feel about it. We are an utter failure at Administration and Governance and the sooner we realize it the better!
Old 8th August 2009, 15:18   #107
Senior - BHPian

I got to read this thread only because of recent posts that has bumped it up. I understand the inconvenience caused, but if the land does not belong to me, how can I be justified in taking any action at all? One should be happy if the access to the gate is not used as a car park in any manner - beyond that, any inconvenience is the price to pay for choosing to live in an Indian city, where space is at a premium. I am sure that the cars parked in places inconvenient to us are not there so out of spite, it is because alternate places are not available, by and large. If one wants to avoid the inconveniences then the choices are to spend enough to live away from the crowds, or spend less and have smaller vehicles, if the bigger cars are too much of an inconvenience. How else can things function without a live and let live approach?
PS: As some one here has commented, I too am aghast that people here too can be talking about throwing nails and such.
Old 8th August 2009, 15:21   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Hmmm, old thread bumped up!
aaggoswami, situation stable now? It's nearly a year, what updates?

They have left the society. Things are stable here in my area. Some brand new people living in a house on rent did try to mess up again, but they were politely told by me not park in front of our house unless and untill the place in front of their own houses are occupied by their own vehicles.
Usually if there is some function or something, we understand.

Moral :
Never tolerate wrong things, however small it might be. Its like this. A small nail is not big enough for miles of road, but that small nail can lead to puncture and one has to stop.
Be it your life or profession/office, if today one tolerates wrong thing, tomorrow, it will only grow bigger. Tolerance is a good virtue, but people think of this as weakness.

I am able to make the things stable. Also if somebody from our neighboring society dares to park, we inform them not to park and take the cars in their own society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_j2084 View Post
You people are lucky to have atleast 9mtrs road width.The place where we live the road is just about 4mtrs(max of two sedans could go parallely).
We have 6 mrts road i.e. equal to around 19.8 feet. Now the rule is for 29.7 feet road i.e. 9 mtrs.
About what could be done :
1) If the situation is really bad as you have mentioned, gather a few good people, tie the car to another car or SUV, drag them to the middle of the road. Next, call police and inform them of such parking.
If somebody tries to play power card, record the stuff and involve media. Now a days, thanks to RTI, people are not able to escape easily. Surat is a different city though.
Before doing this, make sure you have taken photographs of senseless parking.
We did this recently, but it was too rough to be posted, but the life of a man in mid 40's had heart attack and the driver of 108 ambulance was screaming through the mic installed in the ambulance to move the cars.
We heard that, took an old chain, tied to rear axles of cars and thanks to construction site around, called the tractors present there and dragged the cars. The cars suffered damage, specifically one i10. That i10 ended with damaged rear suspension. Front end was struck deep during pull but tractor was powering high.
We were happy about this.
The biggest mistake we committed : We did not take photographs as were in a hurry.

Its true that most of Indians dont deserve to drive cars. They are talking on mobile and driving senselessly and parking in a way that disturbs others the most.

2) To make sure they are not parking in such manner, call municipal people to clearly define the road. Now they cannot park in such manner as the lines are now defined. If they do park, you can call police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
FYI, we have some rules governing construction of apartments and buildings. Those rules are set certain standards and conventions, adopted by some body of town planners. In their wisdom, they usually insist on at least 2 slots for parking vehicles, per family.

We, the People of India, go on and wash the feet of our babus and netas in greenbacks, seeking exemption from those wise rules.

We would happily lap up buildings which violate / go beyond (legally or not) norms like FAR (floor area raio). We do not care if the builders / promotoers of our apartments convert areas reserved for common use to construct yet more apartments.

And then we go on to complain about lack of infrastructure and parking space.
Is there any other way round ? All contractors are having a high reach. People are not ready to pay even income tax honestly. What next, I have seen tuition teachers not paying tax.
The core here is cheap mentality. There are very few disciplined Indians remaining in India, this is harsh reality.
Those who park senselessly are self centered. Forget education. I have seen one worker ( basically one level above labourer ) park his bike at service center properly so as the available space is best utilized. Next came in a young couple. Wife on Access and husband in Getz. Parked the Getz bad. Wife repeated the same in service center in basement. I objected and came in power game. A huge angry roar was enough to solve.

Fact is that those who are disciplined are the one to suffer the most. Result of British system being followed even after our independence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
We are an utter failure at Administration and Governance and the sooner we realize it the better!
Perfect words. And even currently if we realize, it will take a lot of time to become good. We are late even to realize that we are a failure in administration and governance.
We as a nation are a complete failure.

@ mods : Sorry for the long post.
Old 8th August 2009, 15:30   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
We as a nation are a complete failure.

I understand the frustration, but is not fair to say that this statement has to be said only after first saying that I as a person am a complete failure? Even there, only if one can assume the right to talk for more than a billion other people in the country?
Old 8th August 2009, 16:00   #110
BANNED

A govt official's view

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
We are an utter failure at Administration and Governance and the sooner we realize it the better!
Quote:
We are late even to realize that we are a failure in administration and governance.
My response /rant is entirely off topic for this thread. But remarks like this makes me It just happens that I am a govt. official, responsible for policy / law / rule implementation rather than formulating and framing them. Here we go. Be warned that this is a rant.

Aspect 1.

One aspect of my job is to disburse freebies. Let us call them X. There is legislation laying down the qualification for the freebies. Normal people simply do not apply for the freebies. Most (90%) people who do, approach me because they were compelled by "inspectors" in the past to sign up, and when they do come, they approach as if they are mice and I am a cat. I try my level best to make them feel comfortable.

About 5% of people fabricate documents to show that they are eligible.

The remaining 5% never bother to fabricate the documents. They simply file an application insist on a quick disposal, (which usually is a rejection), and they approach the politicos on appeal.

Aspect 2.

Our pay and service conditions are decided by our minister. (I mean the minister who is in charge of the portfolio). Officers of my department have lost out on what we call "parity" in service terminology. This means, officers having similar jurisdiction (in terms of area - like "village", "Taluk", "district", etc) get equal pay across all departments. Reason for down grading officers in our department? The service "organisation" does not owe allegiance to the minister's party!!!

When this was taken up with the minister, he had a very plain answer "you guys are corrupt". That is not entirely false too; but what about the honest officers?

Aspect 3.

We have "targets" for inspection. Inspect N number of institutions in a given period or be prepared to be hauled up.

More than 40% of the inspections could not be recorded, because even before the inspection is completed, the officers' phones ring, with a call from the Minister's office.

Who says we are unfit to rule? We are very well "Managing things".

Aspect 4.

At a meeting of the officials, the big boss is speaking a lot about our "powers". I quietly remark that I have no powers. All I have are obligations, and the "powers" are attached my office not me. I am shunted out to a post with no inspection powers.

Q E D.
Old 8th August 2009, 16:09   #111
Senior - BHPian

Now that you have taken this OT, let me take the chance to jump in - we get the politicians and the governance we deserve by our refusal to stand for public office and/or to even go and exercise our vote. Enough said!
Old 8th August 2009, 21:05   #112
Senior - BHPian

as people said before try the peaceful/innovative methods such as writing a note/innovative sign
i park outside compound walls when i go out ONLY if i dont get any parking in the main parking areas.But never obstruct their parking spaces/gates etc
but if someone stuck something or worse scratched or punctured my car i would let them off the hook.

Last edited by vinaydas : 8th August 2009 at 21:07.
Old 8th August 2009, 22:38   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
as people said before try the peaceful/innovative methods such as writing a note/innovative sign
i park outside compound walls when i go out ONLY if i dont get any parking in the main parking areas.But never obstruct their parking spaces/gates etc
but if someone stuck something or worse scratched or punctured my car i would let them off the hook.
The problem in my case is that the road is planned TP road. If others park in front of my home, I am not suppossed to react, but if I park in front of their houses, they react.
When our house was being constructed, it was a bit late as compared to other houses in society and many were already living in the society. They got united to measure our house when the digging work had started for compound wall. They wanted us to leave a large area for road, yes the land for which we had payed they wanted us to leave a part for road.
We are yet to occupy a 10 X 10 feet piece that is currently part of road.

So people attitude is biggest problem. Other thing is shade. After around 2 o'clock or even earlier, there in shade in front of our house. So people park here that is not good.

The core issue is that whether the road in front of our house is TP road or not. If its TP road, then a road is not existing ( currently its dirt road ) ? Because the society on our right ( 3 out of 4 lanes or our society have common compound wall with that society ) has made encroachments. There are two successive 90 degree turns to enter into our society.
Lots of issues here, but if somebody blocks my way or troubles me in direct or indirect way, he will not be allowed to let go with ease.

Occasionally its OK that some guests visit some place, etc. but just occasionally.
Old 9th August 2009, 08:41   #114
BHPian

advice needed on nuisance parking

hello

we live in a dead end street which is about 3-4metres wide(max of two sedans could go parallely).Now some auto walas and call taxi fellows park on both their side of the roads completely blocking the passage.Everytime somewants to drive a car they need to call them to remove their vehicles.If questioned the simple reply is "i park in front of my home".Is it advisable to lodge to complaint to the cops?

Thanks
Old 9th August 2009, 08:48   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hello
If questioned the simple reply is "i park in front of my home".Is it advisable to lodge to complaint to the cops?
1) Is this TP road ? If yes, then you can ofcourse call cops and inform them of nuisance parking.

2) If this is internal road, they all those who are facing problem must talk with those who are parking in bad manner. Note that here they cannot claim the road in front of their house as theirs. They have to understand this fact.

3) If they are not ready to understand then teach them a lesson. There is no way other than damaging their car in one way or other. A lot of tricks are mentioned in the thread started by me.
If you and a few other are repeatedly facing this problem of car parking,then do one thing. As soon as they take out their cars, park your cars in front of their homes. If they argue, tell them its road and you are facing a bad issue due to their senseless parking. This is the best solution.

EDIT : From what I know, your approach cannot be directly or indirectly blocked. Talk to a lawyer too on this before taking some action. But first make sure if its TP road or not.
Old 9th August 2009, 08:53   #116
Senior - BHPian

i have the same issues with the autos in my lane.
My solution - bought a pair of hella redgrilles. Honk away to glory when I see anything blocking. Annoyed neighbours will take care of the rest
Old 9th August 2009, 10:07   #117
BHPian

Quote:
1) Is this TP road ? If yes, then you can ofcourse call cops and inform them of nuisance parking.
could you pls tell whats is this TP road?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 9th August 2009 at 19:45. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 9th August 2009, 19:38   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
could you pls tell whats is this TP road?
TP road = Town Planning Road.
To the best of my knowledge, it is the road that is not private road.
For example, in our society, the main street is 6 mtrs and is proposed TP road. The only other road is for 3rd and 4th row of houses. That is internal road. As soon as one takes a narrow 90 degree turn, that person will be in internal road. Here the residents of society have an upper hand and no outsider can come in and park in the internal road.

TP road, its not to be made by residents and its basically a public road.
Old 9th August 2009, 19:44   #119
BHPian

Yes you can goto the police. Road is a public property and nobody has any exclusive rights of it even though it is right in front of their house. You can lodge a complaint for nuisance creation.
Old 9th August 2009, 19:49   #120
Senior - BHPian

aaggoswami, I think its a bit unwise to damage their cars. Taxi and autowallahs will bring an army of supporters and damage the OP's property. Instead try using the cops or bring some like minded neighbours and threaten to take action. Most of the time, these will work.

Most Viewed