Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2008, 22:18   #16
BHPian

Very true observation – you just drive in a modern car to any petrol bunk in Kerala, by default they direct you towards the diesel pump. If you want petrol you have to tell him so. I have experienced this multiple times.

Another observation I have is private owned cars in Kerala are either low-usage ones or high/v high usage ones – you will find rather less percentage of moderate usage (100-400km a week) compared to the vehicle population in metros.
Old 13th October 2008, 00:14   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I haven't seen these many DDis or MJDs even in Bangalore. And so far I have seen two Indica Vistas, and they are quadrajets.

Do not judge the "BOOK BY ITS COVER",
Both DDis or MJDs are raining cats & dogs here In Blore.
Old 13th October 2008, 00:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

For break even , even consider the fact that diesel engines are more expensive to maintain than their counterpart petrols.
Old 13th October 2008, 00:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
Very true observation – you just drive in a modern car to any petrol bunk in Kerala, by default they direct you towards the diesel pump. If you want petrol you have to tell him so.
Similar experience with the Landy - one petrol pump assistant even refused to fill in Petrol even after I asked him to. He actually removed the cap and sniffed at the fuel before staring at me like I came from another planet.
Old 19th October 2008, 17:41   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I couldn't help but notice this.. I am currently in south Kerala, and I've been driving around a lot...

If you see a Swift here, 90% chances are that it is a DDis, and if you see a Palio, 95% chances are that it is an MJD. I haven't seen these many DDis or MJDs even in Bangalore. And so far I have seen two Indica Vistas, and they are quadrajets. I have not been able to sopt a single one in Bangalore yet. I was wondering what makes consumers in Kerala so much inclined towards diesels. Any thoughts?
My thought on this is because kerala has roads that are steep and sloping and to keep the momentum we need more power/torque ,SO DIESEL.Petrol engines will consume more petrol if your push hard(when compared to diesel) so it makes sense for them to buy diesel.
Old 1st November 2008, 06:01   #21
BHPian

If you travel > 15000 Kms a year then the Diesel Makes sense.

Picked up a Swift recently for my Aunt. Did the math for them. Here Goes

Swift VXi on road: 4.85L Running Cost = 4 Rs/KM
Swift VDi on Road 5.75L Running Cost = 2 Rs/KM

Difference In Price 90,000. Break Even after 45,000Kms of Running.

Finally picked up the diesel Because of two other reasons:

1. In Kerala Resale Value of Diesels is very good compared to petrol variants.( for Swift Diesel residual value is still astounding)
2. TD of the car proved DDis is much easier to drive especially in town (torque gives great drivability).

More than savings in fuel cost I think these is probably the deciding factor for diesel sales in kerala.

My neighbor drives a Fiesta DIesel. Since 2006 its been driven only 9k kms. His reason for buying the diesel was that fiesta petrol commands pathetic resale value.
Thus the vicious circle continues.
Old 3rd December 2008, 23:16   #22
BHPian

Not the difference in price of fuel alone, but when coupled with the fuel efficiency a Diesel gives, the savings would be more.

I own a December 2002 Tata Indica V2 DLS. I get an average of 14 kpl(worse conditions- city, with A/C, idling for long.) For a similar size petrol engined car, the mileage would be less than 10kpl. As per the present fuel costs, the running km costs would be Rs. 2.8 & 5.7. The savings per km would be around Rs. 2.5-3.

So factoring in the savings in fuel costs over the last six years, I would have saved at least 1.5-2 lakhs. That time, the petrol version of Indica was costing almost the same price.

I have so far clocked 80000 KM+, all services correctly done, normal servicing costs averaging between Rs. 2000-3000. Tyres changed at 60k, Clutch at 74k, Shock Absorbers at 65k etc., the expenses incurred same as of a petrol car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
For break even , even consider the fact that diesel engines are more expensive to maintain than their counterpart petrols.
Old 4th December 2008, 01:32   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Kerala has always been Diesel crazy. Much much before the modern diesels.
I'll say! My uncle, a former PWD engineer, converted his petrol Amby to diesel in the late 1970s by plonking in a Matador engine. I wonder why he did it. Just because he could, I suppose.

He still has the car (KLQ xxxx) -- but it looks like a Mark 4 now, thanks to the unfortunate "upgrades" it received over the years.
Old 2nd January 2009, 23:05   #24
Ice
BHPian

The price difference between petrol and diesel, break-even points, and mileage all are crucial points to be considered while making a petrol vs. diesel decision.

IMO its all in the mind. There are some who would spend more on an investment and less on the running cost of it. And there are some who prefer vice versa. Its money you spend at the gas station vs. money you pay towards your EMI via an ECS facility. Its where, when, and how often you feel the pain.

The price differential of, say, Rs.90K translates to a little over 2 grand per month on a 11% auto loan for 3 years. However, this is a once-a-month payment towards an investment.

If you're still with me after all this psycho-babble, then...DIESELS RULE!! I'm biased guys - I drive a pete'd MJD
Old 3rd January 2009, 14:25   #25
VEA
BHPian

You get nothing when you sell a petrol car in Kerala (unless you have a honda city). But diesel is well sought after and realises good money. So the intial price difference is somewhat negated by the better resale value and ease of selling the car.
Old 25th April 2010, 10:44   #26
BHPian

All figos are 1.4
Almost all fiestas (90%) are 1.4 tdi
Not seen much are getz and i20 crdis
All vernas are crdis.. Last time i saw one petrol was two months back.]
90 % of ritz in Kerala are ddis. Have seen some vxis, not zxis though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks