Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2008, 09:11   #1
BHPian

Help me - In taking a job decision

Hi,

Im a management graduate recruited in a leading Technology firm in the country. I did my Post graduation in a very good institute in the country. Now the company has already despatched my offer letter with June as the tentative joining. But till date there was no intimation from the company regarding the date of joining. The only response from the company is - there is a delay in your joining and you have to wait....

My question now is - 1. once the company has despatched the offer letter means how much it is sure that it would induct a candidate in its company. (It's a highly reputed and respected company in the country).

Second - 2. should i scout for new job, coz if the joining would take another one or two months i may choose to wait anything more than that i have to find alternative.

As it was a reputed company i personally believe they wont be discarding anybody whom they selected from the process. What say ??

The HR team is not giving me any concrete answer.

help me out pls
Old 15th October 2008, 09:24   #2
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Well, hard to say! But if the offer letter is absolute and unconditional, then they certainly will call you. [read the letter carefully]

It doesn't hurt looking for another job, you'll just gain experiance in looking for one. And who know's you get a better offer, or a better profile.

Keep your options open.
Old 15th October 2008, 09:25   #3
BHPian

Hi,

Due to the Global economy slowdown lot of our IT companies have been hit hard. Companies with exposure to BFSI domain are major hit. Most Leading companies have stopped new recruitments. Since they have to first find assignments for thier employees who are out of project due to Company Closure (Eg. Lehman), M&A ( BoA & ML),IT Budget Cuts in leading Global Companies, etc. There are also major Lay-Offs for people who are not upto the performance standards of the company. They are willing to Hold Offers given since they are not in a position to find suitable assignment for you if you join & you'll only increase thier Bench Strenth.

I suggest you to start looking out for jobs not only in IT Industry but you may also want to look for options in IT Dept of Leading Indian Companies.( Financial, Insurance, Manufacturing, Etc) if your objective is to look for career in IT.

IT/ Global Economy looks bad & I see no further improvement for next 18-24 months.

Wish you all the best

Regards
Marlon
Old 15th October 2008, 09:46   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a painful situation to be in and unfortunately this has become pretty common in Indian IT industry. You definitely need plan-B (or A for that matter), so start looking for a job, or start something new!
Old 15th October 2008, 10:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is happening to most of the campus recruits and you are not alone. Try getting some interim job till the company gets back to you. An experience always has its value.
Old 15th October 2008, 10:25   #6
BHPian

In fact if you post the name of the company you may find members working there who may know the inside story. Many reputed IT companies are holding back recruitments. Please do not rely on the offer letter alone. All offer letters are made by the legal department's help, so there is not much you can do if they chose not to recruit you. You are not going to fight them, are you?

Ideally scout for other companies who may want to give you a better profile or package.
Old 15th October 2008, 10:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
In fact if you post the name of the company you may find members working there who may know the inside story. ....
Do not post the name of the company. Since their offer is still on hold and you do not know the exact situation internally. You might be violating internal company policy by doing so,
i.e. it might amount to making public statements misrepresenting the credentials of the company.

Its quite possible they may revoke your offer on these grounds if they come to know it.

I suggest you call up their HR person, and let him/her know of the situation. Ask them to get back with an exact date.
Old 15th October 2008, 11:03   #8

Very true Fillmore! Do not give them any more reason to void your offer.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Do not post the name of the company. Since their offer is still on hold and you do not know the exact situation internally. You might be violating internal company policy by doing so,
i.e. it might amount to making public statements misrepresenting the credentials of the company.

Its quite possible they may revoke your offer on these grounds if they come to know it.

I suggest you call up their HR person, and let him/her know of the situation. Ask them to get back with an exact date.
Old 15th October 2008, 11:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingping View Post
As it was a reputed company i personally believe they wont be discarding anybody whom they selected from the process. What say ??

The HR team is not giving me any concrete answer.
Sorry to say the bad news bud, if the company is in a tight situation.
They will not take you in no matter what.

The industry is on a downward slope.
Companies are literally struggling to keep the existing projects and bench warmers and under performing people are getting sacked in many companies. This is not hear say, I know it through friends working in various firms small,medium and big.

HR team cannot say anything because they don't know what will happen.

Agreed its a good offer and all that.
Worst case, you wait company says "sorry bud can't take you in now"
What then ?

Better hunt for a job, I don't mean tomorrow. Right now.
Old 15th October 2008, 11:14   #10
BHPian

+1 for a new job search.

The reason why everyone is suggesting this step is because HR team is not the best people to answer a "when" question in troubled times like these days. Moreover, our HR companies rarely have the audacity to tell a candidate that we don't need you. The best they say is "we will get back to you" for reasons unknown to us mortals other than those in HR profession. I mean it is unethical to keep someone hanging, but it no longer matters to them whether you are wasting time waiting on them or doing something else.

Gist of it, move on. Get a new job and chuck the company which is ethically/morally not strong enough to tell you if they are looking to hire you or not.
Old 15th October 2008, 14:43   #11
BHPian

When Telecom Bubble burst in 2001, most of the big firms delayed the induction of new recruits(even those who had been offered a Offer Letter). The delay was anything between 3 Months to 1 Year. My suggestion would be look for another Job(interim period or permanent). Any experience gained would be good plus you get to earn as well.
Old 15th October 2008, 17:35   #12
BHPian

I just read about this in yesterdays economic times! The best alternative would be to continue job hunting.
Old 15th October 2008, 18:24   #13
BANNED

Get off your act and start looking for another job.

You are a management graduate from a reputed, good institue in India and you my friend are asking for help in the present economic scenario whether to wait for the offer or not? Do you know the reputation tat Lehman Brothers had?

A management graduate should know better, dont you think?

Please do not take it as an offensive statement. But pardon me, if i interview a candidate(and i do a lot of campus for my company) from any reputed B-Schools in India and he asks what you just asked, dude you wont be looking too bright to me. Again please do not take it as a personal comment, try and understand i am trying to help you.

Last edited by GTO : 15th October 2008 at 19:06. Reason: inappropriate language.
Old 16th October 2008, 01:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Join another company.

See the current TV news for a sample of how the corporate world views it. Hear Jet's ED Saroj Dutta's words on "terminating the training period as per the contract". If it doesnt run a chill down your spine, nothing will. That's a mere 1900 of 12k people, about ONE in SIX. Not bad for a company that was making minor cash losses (keep Jetlite aside for now)

I am honestly surprised you are sitting quietly all along.

Go out and don't post back till you've got another job.

PS: HR's job in any firm is to reduce manpower salaries, rationalize jobs/promotions (read deny), and obfuscate the issue in general. They are paid NOT to give a straight answer. Get over it man. Move on. NOW!

Last edited by phamilyman : 16th October 2008 at 01:33.
Old 16th October 2008, 13:00   #15
BHPian

Go ahead and search for another job now itself. One can never say if the company would take you, whatever be it's reputation. Even experienced people dont want to leave their current job because they fear they might be the first to be sent out in case of further economic slide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks