Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2008, 08:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Boarding schools in South India.

Guys, I am looking out for boarding schools around here. Preferably TN. I googled for some, since we dont have good feedback system on the net, I would like to get the best feedback from our forum.

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th October 2008, 09:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Can you tell me whether you would like to look for one in TN, Bangalore, etc. I can put you through to people who's children study in some boarding schools or ex-students.
Old 16th October 2008, 10:04   #3
BHPian

Lawrence School, Lovedale would be a good place to check out
Old 16th October 2008, 10:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Can you tell me whether you would like to look for one in TN, Bangalore, etc. I can put you through to people who's children study in some boarding schools or ex-students.
Yes, I would prefer the one in TN first.
Old 16th October 2008, 10:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

You could try
1) Monfort School in Yercaud
2) Lawrence in Lovedale, OOty,
3) St Patrick's In Kodi,
4) Good Shepherd in Ooty
5) Bharathiya Vidya Bhavan in Kodi
6) American School, Kodi,
A lot more are there, will let you know if you want. What curriculum are you looking for?
Old 16th October 2008, 10:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

mjothi,

Check out the Krishnamurthy Foundation's Rishi Valley near Chennai

Dwarak
Old 16th October 2008, 11:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Buddy i am a person who did study in a boarding school from my Kindergarten and one piece of advice is NO i wont put my kids in boarding!! You loose the closeness between the kid and the parent man. Trust me when i talk about experience.
Ooty schools are nice as in goodsheperd and lawrence. Just have a look at the school before admissions and also keep a look out for the prospectus man.
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2008, 11:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. As usual, you have poured with options.

@jyobeb, CBSE or ICSE.?
@dwaraka, Googled to get the location, but I get results for the one in Chitoor, is it same as you are mentioning? Just noticed that it has boarding option only from 8th. The Valley School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@maddy42, I agree with you. I may end up not putting. But right now i have a requirement for it and so searching for the good ones. I appreciate your feedback and I do take it seriously since I believe that experiance really counts.

Last edited by mjothi : 16th October 2008 at 11:54.
Old 16th October 2008, 17:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
You could try
1) Monfort School in Yercaud
2) Lawrence in Lovedale, OOty,
3) St Patrick's In Kodi,
4) Good Shepherd in Ooty
5) Bharathiya Vidya Bhavan in Kodi
6) American School, Kodi,
A lot more are there, will let you know if you want. What curriculum are you looking for?
You can add Laidlaw, Ketti to the list.
It is like the poor cousin to Lawrence

Cheers
Old 16th October 2008, 17:56   #10
BHPian

If you are looking for one in chennai. There is St.Johns International residential school (near Queensland resort) and also Velammal Residential school .
Old 16th October 2008, 18:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
@dwaraka, Googled to get the location, but I get results for the one in Chitoor, is it same as you are mentioning? Just noticed that it has boarding option only from 8th. The Valley School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The valley school is in Bangalore and is a branch of the main Rishi Valley School. Valley school is for day scholars only. You can find the details of Rishi valley school in - Rishi Valley School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The school website is -
RISHI VALLEY EDUCATION CENTRE - School - An Overview

other useful links on the school -
Rishi Valley School Alumni Website (Alumini website where you can post queries and get good answers from the alumini of Rishi Valley)
Rishi Valley School - KFI (KFI website)

The school follows ICSE syllabus but the main focus of the school is all round development rather than just studies. one aspect I liked about the school is they do not follow any religion or spiritual preachings, they do not celebrate any festivals nor they talk about their own guru Jiddu Krishnamurthy. This school has 75 years of tradition.

My daughter studies there in 4th class. We joined her this year there. They have a elaborate selection procedure where 1 in 12 applicants get selected. The entry classes are 4th, 6th and 7th. It is best if you join your kid in 4th. We did go to the school, made multiple trips. took my daughter's opinion and then finally decided on joining her there. it is very vital for you to get first hand information and liking of any school before you decide on the same. so visit multiple schools before deciding on any one.

This place is 150 km from Bangalore and 15 km from the nearest town Madanapalle. They have a 500 acre campus where they grow their own vegetables and have a Dairy farm to cater to their daily product needs.

PM me if you need more inputs on the school.
Old 16th October 2008, 18:05   #12

mjothi,

Contrary to what's been posted here The Laidlaw Memorial School is no poor cousin to Lawrence. years ago it may have been true but not any more. If anything, the quality of education is better at Laidlaw now. and they take the pants off Lawrence on the games field.

Cheers

Kenetics

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th October 2008 at 18:11. Reason: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.
Old 16th October 2008, 18:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenetics View Post
mjothi,

Contrary to what's been posted here The Laidlaw Memorial School is no poor cousin to Lawrence. years ago it may have been true but not any more. If anything, the quality of education is better at Laidlaw now. and they take the pants off Lawrence on the games field.

Cheers

Kenetics
kenetics, agree it was my mistake.

what i should have mentioned is that is the general perception. however, it is no way an indication of the quality there. i dont see much of difference among the two. anyway, your comment gives the added emphasis, i guess. Thank you.

also, forgot to mention it is ICSE

Cheers
Old 16th October 2008, 19:01   #14
BHPian

what about considering Hebron in Ooty?! thats a very good school, but not too sure about the admission process there. its pretty selective.
Old 16th October 2008, 19:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Buddy i am a person who did study in a boarding school from my Kindergarten and one piece of advice is NO i wont put my kids in boarding!! You loose the closeness between the kid and the parent man. Trust me when i talk about experience.
Ooty schools are nice as in goodsheperd and lawrence. Just have a look at the school before admissions and also keep a look out for the prospectus man.
I studied in boarding school too, and while there are extremes when kids get detached from their parents, there are also extremes where kids grow up to be adults under parent's aegis who can't find a sock to wear in morning. They would have been better off in a boarding school to learn something from life on their own. specially in india, I don't think detachment is really an issue.

(as it was in my case) a little space away from home gives a sense of responsibility, as well avoids day to day generation gap arguments. at the same time it increases the longing for parents and HOME.

EDIT: not from kindergarten though. after 5th std sounds like a good age to me for moving out.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 16th October 2008 at 19:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks