Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2008, 12:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Just came home via Link Road, Malad. Seems quite peaceful here, enough traffic and cops to hopefully make sure that nothing happens. Most shops are closed though, and some are only allowing their regular customers, while others have half-downed their shutters.
Old 21st October 2008, 12:59   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
The roads are virtually empty.
Tell me about it! Got to work this morning in record time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I heard reports that our workers were caught near the MIDC entry and made to say - Jai Maharashtra. Some were beaten up too.
Sorry to hear about that, NC. I hope no one from your staff was seriously injured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
GTO, Im in Office at Colaba, My car-SL is parked down on the road, what should I do? stay put or go back home?
Scooby, is it possible for you to pussy-foot through the backlanes of Colaba and get to Inox? Their multi-storey parking has got to be safe.
Old 21st October 2008, 13:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Heard on aajtak that the andheri BMW showroom was vandalized. Any truth in this?
Maverick, can you confirm this?

One of the ricks I was travelling in was carrying a stick for his defense. All the shops are closed for sure including many ATM's.

Last edited by amtak : 21st October 2008 at 13:07.
Old 21st October 2008, 13:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Link road from Goregaon (West) to Kandivali (West) is safe.

Shop owners are closing shutters in this area.
Old 21st October 2008, 13:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Just drove from Chembur to New Bombay. Clear roads, pleasure to drive. Left Chembur at 11.30 and was in office by 11.50. No problems whatsoever so far. Hope it stays that way!!!
Old 21st October 2008, 13:10   #21
BHPian

Normalcy or violence now depends on whether he gets bail or jail !! Many are taking it for granted that he will get bail, maybe the reason for few incidents of violence upto now. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 21st October 2008, 13:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
For your Information Taj parks the cars in the bylanes!! they do not use their basement now for 4/5 years! So whats the point.
And on a lighter note, if i have to go to park at the Taj, might as well Park myself too at Harbour Bar
Scooby bhai, was not aware of that,

Cabs are not working therefore the clubs are out.

If you are at the harbour bar, let me join you.

Will revert back to you.

warm regards

M M
Old 21st October 2008, 13:14   #23

To all the guys in Mumbai - Take Care. The CM said on NDTV24/7 that he has taken proper steps to curb any backlash and the police are on the job though but still prevention is better than cure. So just retire for the day and stay put wherever you are - just make sure its safe.
Old 21st October 2008, 13:19   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Heard on aajtak that the andheri BMW showroom was vandalized. Any truth in this?
Hi Tejas,

This is a fact, the showroom glass windows were broken with stones.

Not heard news of any cars being damaged.

regards

M M
Old 21st October 2008, 13:24   #25
BHPian

Scooby..There shouldnt be any escalated violence in your side... maybe you can try and go to Marine drive side , near makers chambers.. park either in CR2 or in the lanes of makers behind NCPA.. there shouldnt be much trouble there hopefully.

Me also have to stay home in thane.Thank god for TBHP.. No TV(for over 10 yrs so dont be shocked to get inputs otherwise.

Everyone be safe.. Hope there is no repeat of violence like the last time. Lets hope things get better by evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Hi Tejas,

Not heard news of any cars being damaged.

regards

M M
I am guessing the BMW XPO caught some unnecessary publicity from the anti-social elements :(

When will these things ever stop.. I wonder. People only come to their senses AFTER they commit mistakes. But by then its too late for amends.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st October 2008 at 13:57.
Old 21st October 2008, 13:35   #26
Team-BHP Support

Reached my Fort office in 40 minutes flat from Bandra, roads were almost vacant till Shivaji Park, and slightly dense after that.
Apparently, Kalbadevi, Nagdevi and Dadar east are all shut. Quite a few units in MIDC are shut as well. Trains too have been disruted at Kalyan.

manson.
Old 21st October 2008, 13:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Got a call from my brother,had to shut down my shop completely,i told him to keep an update about the roads from Mira-Road till Andheri and reach home safely
Old 21st October 2008, 13:42   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Me thinks the Porsche showroom chaps must be suffering from some serious blood pressure right now. I hope they have metal shutters installed.
Old 21st October 2008, 13:51   #29
Senior - BHPian

@T-bhpians in mumbai:
I got a few news article. Some claim that schools are also being closed. Watch out for this news atleast.
Also some violence is also reported in Pune.

New Articles:
1) Source:Violence in Mumbai, Pune, Nashik after Raj Thackeray's arrest-Mumbai-Cities-The Times of India

Article :
Quote:
MUMBAI: Violence has spread to different areas of Mumbai allegedly by the MNS activists, following the arrest of MNS chief Raj Thackeray. Areas li
ke Thane are tense as protesters have taken to streets. ( Watch )

Taxies parked at Tardeo in South Mumbai were damaged by some unknown miscreants who fled on motorcycles, police said. Two separate incidents were reported in the North-West suburban of Borivili where miscreants attempted to burn trucks, they added.

Incidents of violence are also being reported from Jogeshwari and Vile Parle areas.

Miscreants attacked a toll booth located in the North-West suburban of Mulund and set one of the counters on fire, police said. There were also reports of some unidentified men throwing stones at the suburban residence of Congress spokesperson Sanjay Nirupam.

Meanwhile, schools in suburban Mumbai have been closed as a preventive measure following the arrest of MNS chief. Besides, security has been beefed up in the city to thwart any untoward incident, police said.

Reacting sharply to his leader's arrest, MNS spokesperson Shirish Parkar said, "There was no substance in allegations against Raj Thackeray. The state government was acting at the behest of Centre". Parkar described the arrest of Raj as "vengeance" and political "conspiracy" by the Maharashtra government.

"The reaction after the arrest is a public outcry and MNS will take this matter of the arrest to the people of Maharashtra," the MNS spokesperson added.

Raj's arrest sparks protests in Pune, Nashik
PUNE: Sporadic incidents of stone pelting at municipal and private buses were reported here this morning following the arrest of MNS chief Raj Thackeray in Ratnagiri.

In Kothrud area, some alleged MNS activists damaged a company's bus that was taking its employees to workplace.

Elsewhere, a few Pune Municipal Transport (PMT) buses were stoned by miscreants, police said.

Meanwhile, police have picked up around 100 MNS activists, including some corporators since last night as a preventive measure.

In Nashik, MNS activists set ablaze a truck near PWD minister Chhagan Bhujbal's farm this morning and also damaged another truck at Vilholi-Phata area, police said.

Incidents of stone pelting on MSRTC buses and other vehicles were reported in some areas, they said, adding vehicular traffic on the busy Mumbai-Agra-national highway was disrupted following the protest.

Also, police have rounded up 70 MNS activists in Nashik so far in connection with these incidents and security has been tightened in the city.

In Solapur, incidents of stone pelting on state transport buses around 0630 hours has also been reported, the police added.
2)
Source : NDTV.com: MNS men on rampage; lathicharge in Bandra

Article :
Quote:
Raj Thackeray's arrest has sparked violence in Maharashtra. Heavy stone pelting is being witnessed outside Bandra court where Raj Thackeray is to be produced soon.

Hundreds of MNS supporters gathered and pelted stones at the police, who retaliated by lathicharging them.

Raj Thackeray is currently at Bandra Kurla Complex Police Station undergoing medical tests. The Dean of the state-run JJ Hospital is also at the police station.

Despite heavy police deployment, MNS workers tried to block traffic in Navi Mumbai.

Angry MNS activists have attacked the taxis in Parel and Mahalaxmi areas. Taxies parked at Tardeo in south Mumbai have also been damaged by some unknown miscreants who fled on motorcycles, police said. Two separate incidents were reported in the north-west suburban of Borivali where miscreants attempted to burn trucks.

Miscreants attacked a toll booth located in the north-west suburban of Mulund and set one of the counters on fire, police said. There were also reports of some unidentified men throwing stones at the suburban resident of Congress spokesperson Sanjay Nirupam.

Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh said, "Police have made their case. We will appoint good lawyers."

Meanwhile, schools in suburban Mumbai have been closed as a preventive measure following the MNS chief's arrest.

Security has been tightened in the city to thwart any untoward incident, police said.

Reacting sharply to his leader's arrest, MNS spokesperson Shirish Parkar said, "There was no substance in allegations against Raj Thackeray. The state government was acting at the behest of Centre". (Watch)

Parkar described the arrest of Raj as "vengeance" and political "conspiracy" by the Maharashtra government.
Old 21st October 2008, 14:01   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Me thinks the Porsche showroom chaps must be suffering from some serious blood pressure right now. I hope they have metal shutters installed.
Infact its the other way around. I just passed the showroom and there are people clicking snaps since they have nothing to do. Its like a picnic!
i'm sure these guys will protect the showroom!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks