Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2008, 15:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

My friend has got an offer in Dubai-Is it a good offer ?

My friend has got an offer in Dubai (proper). Its a global position and profile is good. He is planning to go there with his wife and kid. He has got the below offer:

Base Pay: AED 12,000/month.
Housing: AED 60,000/year.
Car: AED 2000/month.

Apart from the above he has also got the co insurance + medical benefit.

Can you suggest whether the above is good offer or not. He has to take the decision by sunday (26/10).

P.S: Request people to post genieunly / the bhpians staying in Dubai.

Thanks
Old 24th October 2008, 15:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

12,000 per month would probably be his rent. Not worth it, IMHO.
Old 24th October 2008, 15:27   #3
BHPian

you need to mention in which domain he has got this offer.
Old 24th October 2008, 15:32   #4
BHPian

I've been advised by friends in that neck of the woods that 20K AED per month is adequate-bordering-on-decent, but that's for living 'solo'. Wife and kids alters the equation dramatically.
I think Steeroid is right in advising your friend to turn it down.

ps. I don't and have never lived in Dubai.
Old 24th October 2008, 15:40   #5
BHPian

I've just lived 6 months in Dubai and found that rents are 7K-12K/month and can increase at a 20-40% per year. Cost of living for basic stuff is at least 4-5k.

Also, getting a license to drive is extremely difficult. It takes probably 1 - 1.5 yrs and 7-8 attempts to get your license. In the meantime, the public transport is pathetic. People wait for hours to get a cab.

My advice - stay away from this offer.
Old 24th October 2008, 15:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

How about if he does daily up and down from Sharjah? I feel it is just an hour away from Dubai. The co. in which he is going to join is suggesting this.
Old 24th October 2008, 15:54   #7
BHPian

There are a lot of people who travel daily from Sharjah. Most leave early (4:45 - 5:00) am to make it to dubai in 1 hour. I've heard that if you leave after 6:30 am, it'll take over 2 hours to reach Dubai.

So yes, it's possible, but then your friend has to plan to spend approx 2-4 hours traveling daily. Also, he'll have to find private buses/carpools that will take him. Getting a cab from Sharjah to Dubai during rush hour is impossible.
Old 24th October 2008, 15:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

I have over a dozen close friends and juniors with family, half a dozen my own family members, own partnership registered office etc. in Dubai. Been there almost 6 times too. The figures you mentioned above are far better than many people I know who are surviving and saving in Dubai. AED is almost Rs.13 now. So you are talking about a base package of 1.60 laks, rental of 65k, petrol for 26k etc per month. It sounds great in rupees but not that great in AED. But there is nothing wrong in trying it out, not going with the family first. Go alone, work for few months, gradually take the family, thats wise and smart.

Accomodation around Sharjah (20 mts drive distance, but due to the increased traffic you would take 2 hours now) would be economical as you will burn your bank staying in Dubai. My family friend was in Dubai on a deputation for 4 years as Middle east and Africa region Head of a reputed bank. He rented a 4 bed room villa near sharjah and accomodated himself into 1 bedroom, rented out the remaining 3 bedrooms to different families. End of the month he would pay the entire rent and cover his food expenses for 2 weeks from the rent collected from other tenants. So, if there is a will, there are 1000s of ways.

Last edited by shajufx : 24th October 2008 at 15:57.
Old 24th October 2008, 16:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I have over a dozen close friends and juniors with family, half a dozen my own family members, own partnership registered office etc. in Dubai. Been there almost 6 times too. The figures you mentioned above are far better than many people I know who are surviving and saving in Dubai. AED is almost Rs.13 now. So you are talking about a base package of 1.60 laks, rental of 65k, petrol for 26k etc per month. It sounds great in rupees but not that great in AED. But there is nothing wrong in trying it out, not going with the family first. Go alone, work for few months, gradually take the family, thats wise and smart.

Accomodation around Sharjah (20 mts drive distance, but due to the increased traffic you would take 2 hours now) would be economical as you will burn your bank staying in Dubai. My family friend was in Dubai on a deputation for 4 years as Middle east and Africa region Head of a reputed bank. He rented a 4 bed room villa near sharjah and accomodated himself into 1 bedroom, rented out the remaining 3 bedrooms to different families. End of the month he would pay the entire rent and cover his food expenses for 2 weeks from the rent collected from other tenants. So, if there is a will, there are 1000s of ways.
Thats what most bachelors and married-bachelor do
Old 24th October 2008, 17:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Point missed in my above post: If your friend is a spendthreft, avoid Dubai by all means ! You can spend all your monthly salary within 2 days shopping in Dubai. My partner travels to dubai every month, his normal expense for a day is 15k (INR) hotel, food, cab alone.

The other extreme side of indian life in dubai is the construction, cleaning workers. They earn less than 15k a month, stay in dormitories with over 50 to 100 co-workers. Eat normal dal-chawal and shop only before coming to India for vacation. They too have a good family back in India, they marry their daughters to decent families, their wives have a good social life, kids have better education etc. But the one who is slogging in dubai will slog till he is 50 or 60 years without a life !

Last edited by shajufx : 24th October 2008 at 17:02.
Old 24th October 2008, 17:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
So yes, it's possible, but then your friend has to plan to spend approx 2-4 hours traveling daily. Also, he'll have to find private buses/carpools that will take him. Getting a cab from Sharjah to Dubai during rush hour is impossible.
Thanks for response.

Right now my friend is in a comfortable job and is well settled in Bangalore. He is thinking international exposure will give a spike to his career. Also as per them after 2~3 years, he will be moved to India or some other destination.

As per their co., they may provide the car after he gets his licence. Will this help him in any way ?
Old 24th October 2008, 17:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
As per their co., they may provide the car after he gets his licence. Will this help him in any way ?
If he can sleep in it, then yes. Otherwise No.
Old 24th October 2008, 18:02   #13
BANNED

Did you pm steeroid? He is in DBX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Base Pay: AED 12,000/month.
Not bad. But depends a bit on the industry.

Quote:
Housing: AED 60,000/year.
Again not bad. Works out to 5K AED per month.

Commuting to Sharjah and DBX is not easy. Getting a driving license is not easy. They have different categories for automatic and geared vehicles. It is a driving test; not a bribing test, the way you have it here. The average number of attempts required is 2. If you get the license on the first try, you are lucky. You need to take the vehicle to 100+ KMPH during the driving test.

Sharing an apartment is no longer easy - there are rules like you need a 2 bedroom house / apartment if you have more than 2 kids now. (recent rule).

Also, pm me if you want a relative's number in DBX, if he wants to contact somebody who lives there.
Old 24th October 2008, 18:04   #14
BANNED

Base salary 12k + 60k for rent? Is it how it is?
If he sees any promotion soon, then ok. Else it doesn't make sense in the current situation.
Old 24th October 2008, 19:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Zak, the 60k is per year. 12k is per month salary.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks