Team-BHP - Job Interview : Please help with inputs for preparation
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Job Interview : Please help with inputs for preparation (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/48059-job-interview-please-help-inputs-preparation.html)

Background: My brother has just finished his mechanical engineering. When times were good, he was offered a job with Accenture on campus. He accepted and waited for the final offer to come, which eventually did not.

Now, he has an interview scheduled with Hyundai Motors (Mathura Road, New Delhi). He has cleared the first couple of rounds and is supposed to appear for the final round. The profile is "Sales of Extended Warranties". He has about 3 days to prepare. I need your guys help in preparing on the following points.:

Extended Warranty

~parts for which it is offered
~basic details
~what the company gains by selling it to the customers?
~catchy points

~how to impress/convince the customer
~promotional strategies
~what not to say

I would appreciate your inputs on the above questions and other questions that are likely to come up.

Its a very good opportunity and would not like to miss out on this ! Thanks in advance guys

Why is he considering such a job after engineering - it kills his qualifications mostly.

He's a grad trainee or a line role - latter is unacceptable for a fresher.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 1030148)
Why is he considering such a job after engineering - it kills his qualifications mostly.

He's a grad trainee or a line role - latter is unacceptable for a fresher.

Hitanshu, its a case of choosing anything thats available right now. Something better than nothing wala funda.

I think its a grad trainee role, but will have to confirm.

Guys: I need suggestions please. please:

Ask him to go through the threads on warranties and extended warranties, car dealerships, etc.

That said, I am not sure that such a position will exist at all - sales people for cars, accessories, insurance and now, extended warranties? I guess that is something the car sales person will do. Make sure of your role.

What will be the location of the job offered? HMP Mathura road?

Eddy, whatever he does, do have him go through our article on extended warranties. It contains pretty much all the important stuff on extended warranties in the Indian context.

Good luck to your bro!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy (Post 1030136)
Background: My brother has just finished his mechanical engineering. When times were good, he was offered a job with Accenture on campus. He accepted and waited for the final offer to come, which eventually did not.

What happened to the accenture offer? Delays?

Good luck to your brother. :)

Thanks C_D.

Accenture has not officially told him not to join but has basically just stopped all communication.

Eddy, I dont think your brother needs to be an expert in the area to get that job. Some knowledge helps, but the interviewers will be looking for other things too - communication is going to be the key. A flair for cars will help. Not everyone is a petrol head, so things may actually not be very difficult for your brother.

Not to say that knowledge will not help, just that there's no need to sweat over it.

Eddy: Its your brothers first job and he will be recruited as Graduate Trainee (as per your above post). Hence, the interviewers will also know what to expect form fresh graduates. Knowing a few things about cars and extended warranties will certainly help. It all depends on his communication skills...how he conviences the interviewer about the job applied for.

But a mech engineer working as extended warranty person? I feel any graduate can do this job. It does not require an engineer's expertise for this job. If your bro has applied for this as stop gap, then it is fine. He can look after other jobs which have more competency as an engineer. Otherwise, choosing the career as a extended warranty person is not advisible. Just my opinion.

Pls do not feel I'am discouraging...but he has to think twice before making this big decision into his career. Nowadays, there are lots of opportunities in supply chain and technical, for fresh graduates...maybe he can try in these areas.

There is no thread dedicated to interviews. I am hoping this one should do.

It will be very helpful to understand the other side when attending the interview. Here is a great guide which explains what Interviewers ideally look for.

Brief summary:

Quote:

OK, I didn’t tell you the most important part—how do you know whether to hire someone?

In principle, it’s simple. You’re looking for people who are
  1. Smart, and
  2. Get things done.

People who are Smart but don’t Get Things Done often have PhDs and work in big companies where nobody listens to them because they are completely impractical.
People who Get Things Done but are not Smart will do stupid things, seemingly without thinking about them, and somebody else will have to come clean up their mess later.

The Guerrilla Guide to Interviewing (version 3.0) - Joel on Software

If Carpenters Were Hired Like Programmers

Interviewer: So, you're a carpenter, are you?
Carpenter: That's right, that's what I do.

Interviewer: How long have you been doing it?
Carpenter: Ten years.

Interviewer: Great, that's good. Now, I have a few technical questions to ask you to see if you're a fit for our team. OK?
Carpenter: Sure, that'd be fine.

Interviewer: First of all, we're working in a subdivision building a lot of brown houses. Have you built a lot of brown houses before?
Carpenter: Well, I'm a carpenter, so I build houses, and people pretty much paint them the way they want.

Interviewer: Yes, I understand that, but can you give me an idea of how much experience you have with brown? Roughly.
Carpenter: Gosh, I really don't know. Once they're built I don't care what color they get painted. Maybe six months?

Interviewer: Six months? Well, we were looking for someone with a lot more brown experience, but let me ask you some more questions.
Carpenter: Well, OK, but paint is paint, you know.

Interviewer: Yes, well. What about walnut?
Carpenter: What about it?

Interviewer: Have you worked much with walnut?
Carpenter: Sure, walnut, pine, oak, mahogony -- you name it.

Interviewer: But how many years of walnut do you have?
Carpenter: Gosh, I really don't know -- was I supposed to be counting the walnut?

Interviewer: Well, estimate for me.
Carpenter: OK, I'd say I have a year and a half of walnut.

Interviewer: Would you say you're an entry level walnut guy or a walnut guru?
Carpenter: A walnut guru? What's a walnut guru? Sure, I've used walnut.

Interviewer: But you're not a walnut guru?
Carpenter: Well, I'm a carpenter, so I've worked with all kinds of wood, you know, and there are some differences, but I think if you're a good carpenter ...

Interviewer: Yes, yes, but we're using Walnut, is that OK?
Carpenter: Walnut is fine! Whatever you want. I'm a carpenter.

Interviewer: What about black walnut?
Carpenter: What about it?

Interviewer: Well we've had some walnut carpenters in here, but come to find out they weren't black walnut carpenters. Do you have black walnut experience?
Carpenter: Sure, a little. It'd be good to have more for my resume, I suppose.

Interviewer: OK. Hang on let me check off the box...
Carpenter: Go right ahead.

Interviewer: OK, one more thing for today. We're using Rock 5.1 to bang nails with. Have you used Rock 5.1?
Carpenter: [Turning white...] Well, I know a lot of carpenters are starting to use rocks to bang nails with since Craftsman bought a quarry, but you know, to be honest I've had more luck with my nailgun. Or a hammer, for that matter. I find I hit my fingers too much with the rock, and my other hand hurts because the rock is so big.

Interviewer: But other companies are using rocks. Are you saying rocks don't work?
Carpenter: No, I'm not saying rocks don't work, exactly, it's just that I think nail guns work better.

Interviewer: Well, our architects have all started using rocks, and they like it.
Carpenter: Well, sure they do, but I bang nails all day, and -- well, look, I need the work, so I'm definitely willing to use rocks if you want. I try to keep an open mind.

Interviewer: OK, well we have a few other candidates we're looking at, so we'll let you know.
Carpenter: Well, thanks for your time. I enjoyed meeting you.

NEXT DAY:

Ring...

Interviewer: Hello?
Carpenter: Hello. Remember me, I'm the carpenter you interviewed for the black walnut job. Just wanted to touch base to see if you've made a decision.

Interviewer: Actually, we have. We liked your experience overall, but we decided to go with someone who has done a lot of work with brown.
Carpenter: Really, is that it? So I lost the job because I didn't have enough brown?

Interviewer: Well, it was partly that, but partly we got the other fellow a lot cheaper.
Carpenter: Really -- how much experience does he have?

Interviewer: Well, he's not really a carpenter, he's a car salesman -- but he's sold a lot of brown cars and he's worked with walnut interiors.
Carpenter: [click]

Source: http://www.jasonbock.net/jb/Default....a6506e2f35eaac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 3021782)
Well, he's not really a carpenter, he's a car salesman -- but he's sold a lot of brown cars and he's worked with walnut interiors.

:OT

But :uncontrol Very True and people in IT can instantly connect with the scenario . For one, I have been through the phases and currently I do interview people for positions, but then I try to stick to the black walnut guys working with stone 5.1!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 2549609)
There is no thread dedicated to interviews. I am hoping this one should do.

It has been a long wait for you to start this thread! I have asking you for a while now in the other "Indian technical grads" thread ;) But thanks anyways.

My experiences from interviews so far:

1. Be confident while approaching any question.

2. Be true and honest, if for any question, if we don't know the answer, please be true to say so.

3. Don't bluff in the CV/motivation letter and never give-in too much or don't act desperate for a job!

4. Be calm and host a smile always, both you and the interviewer will feel good.

Rest, experts (@samurai sar and many more gurus) please chip-in.

Being at both sides of interview, i absolutely can't understand why some candidates go down to such levels of stupidity when after a discussion they ask - "Sir can you please let me know my feedback ?":Frustrati

Need to politely turn them down - its the job of my HR to let you know my feedback. I can't tell it directly to you.