Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2008, 14:33   #91
Senior - BHPian

Yeti Blogs are getting nicer and nicer .

I have a query. Dont they celebrate Halloween with fireworks display in Germany? One thing I didn't miss during the Diwali time when I stayed in UK, were the fireworks. Since Halloween is around the same time as Diwali, but of course, the fireworks aren't the ear drum splitting loud kind we get to hear in India .
Old 6th November 2008, 14:46   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Dont they celebrate Halloween with fireworks display in Germany? One thing I didn't miss during the Diwali time when I stayed in UK, were the fireworks. Since Halloween is around the same time as Diwali, but of course, the fireworks aren't the ear drum splitting loud kind we get to hear in India .
No actually Halloween is not much to celebrate about in Germany.

In fact your chances of seeing Halloween fireworks are pretty high in the UK.

However, German do celebrate with fireworks on Silvester (the 31st December night)

Allow me to show you some family photos.

YetiBlog® - Love, massage and fireworks - A Diwali story-dsc_1478_lowres.jpg
Here's a picture where TheOne® looks like TheDrunkOne® lol. With wine in both hands if you please, haha. (She's going to kill me)

YetiBlog® - Love, massage and fireworks - A Diwali story-dsc_1486_lowres.jpg

YetiBlog® - Love, massage and fireworks - A Diwali story-dsc_1511_lowres.jpg

YetiBlog® - Love, massage and fireworks - A Diwali story-dsc_1657_lowres.jpg
Old 6th November 2008, 14:50   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Nothing is perfect, no relationship is flawless.

The trick, I think is to enjoy the perfect parts of your relationship.
The very essense of life, captured beautifully.

Thank YOU, Sam.

Look forward to your lovely blogs that reminds us, of the importance of small things that make a BIG impact in our daily lives.

Cheers mate.

cheers:
Old 6th November 2008, 15:57   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Sam, glad to hear that TheOne is on her way soon to take up residence.

I am going "out of station" for a day or three: will catch up with this thread when I get back
Old 6th November 2008, 16:22   #95
BHPian

Nice write up Sam,Enjoyd every bit of it....
Old 8th November 2008, 08:47   #96

• Why do things never get done on time?
  • Why does nothing work when it's supposed to?
  • Why do people spit on the streets?
  • Why does the cleaning lady squat on the ground and wipe the floor with a dirty cloth?
  • Why does everyone assume that we will be married before we move into our new house together?
  • How can your Aunt ask us when we plan to have kids? Isn't that too personal a question? I mean she only just met me!!
  • How can anyone marry someone they have never met before?
I'm going to try and answer Jenny's questions, if I may...
  • Time is not of essence amongst most Indians, it is the essence of the work done that eventually matters.
  • Aah, c'mon, some things work, some dont. It's a 50-50 deal with life.
  • Indans, the unlettered ones and sorry to say, some lettered ones are rural at heart. And believe in mother earth welcoming all their waste alongwith their goodness too.
  • If you observe well, it is the best way to pick up the dust off the floor, the cloth is generally washed after each wet pick-up. Dust is integral to the nation.
  • The assumption is a middle class morality issue. And we expect all our 'sati-savitris' to be middle class and moral, to boot. Sam can explain the 'sati-savitri'
  • Once Sam has introduced you as his GF, nothing is personal. We Indians have a joint family mentality. It will just not go away! This is our unique way of showing our love. By being a part of your lives.
  • You can marry someone you have never met before because millions of Indians trust their parents, their astrologers, their birthcharts, and finally, they have this endearing slightly misplaced trust in fate.
  • They trust life to do what is right. Self will and good intent coming together.
I hope I have shed some light on the mysterious workings of us Indians
Please dont judge us too harshly, Jenny.
Old 8th November 2008, 13:09   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy0 View Post
Please dont judge us too harshly, Jenny.
I don't think she judges us at all Sammy. That was an interesting post, thank you.
Old 8th November 2008, 15:49   #98
Team-BHP Support

Sam, amazing Diwali blog, I finally caught up with it. You and Jenny are becoming like the royal couple of Team-BHP, you are the only mega stars who can be reached (via PM & phone) by the members.

Quote:
Basically she can live in India and work like any one of us Indians, once she has that PIO document, even though she will continue to remain a German citizen. It is the closest thing we have to dual-nationality today.
She still has to renew her resident permit every year, just like my son who has the PIO card. But PIO is not the closest thing to dual-citizenship, that would be OCI or the Overseas Citizen of India. That one is practically like a passport, no registration or resident permit needed. I am planning to get OCI document for my son soon.
Old 8th November 2008, 18:24   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Sam, amazing Diwali blog, I finally caught up with it. You and Jenny are becoming like the royal couple of Team-BHP, you are the only mega stars who can be reached (via PM & phone) by the members.

She still has to renew her resident permit every year, just like my son who has the PIO card. But PIO is not the closest thing to dual-citizenship, that would be OCI or the Overseas Citizen of India. That one is practically like a passport, no registration or resident permit needed. I am planning to get OCI document for my son soon.
Thank you Samu for your kind words. We are no mega stars lol.

Regarding the PIO, I did not know that she has to renew her residence permit every year. Clearly you will know better since your son is a PIO.

I believe Jenny is not eligible for OCI. To be eligible for OCI one must have either parent or grandparent as an Indian citizen.

Quote:
PIO

Who is Eligible?
Any person:
  • who at any time held an Indian Passport; or
  • he/she or either of his/her parents or grand parents or great grand parents was born in an permanently resident in India as defined in the Government of India Act, 1935 and other territories that became part of India thereafter provided neither was at any time a citizen of any country as may be specified by Central Government from time to time; or
  • who is a spouse of a citizen of India or a Person of Indian Origin as mentioned above.
The scheme is broad-based, covers up to four generations and also the foreign spouse of a citizen of India or a PIO
Quote:
OCI

1. Eligibility criteria:
A foreign national, who was eligible to become citizen of India on
26.01.1950 or was a citizen of India on or at anytime after 26.01.1950 or
belonged to a territory that became part of India after 15.08.1947 and his/her
children and grand children, provided his/her country of citizenship allows
dual citizenship in some form or other under the local laws, is eligible for
registration as an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI). Minor children of such
persons are also eligible for OCI. However, if the applicant had ever been a
citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh, he/she will not be eligible for OCI.
Your son, Samu is eligible for an OCI as you are a citizen of India. But OCI mentions nothing of spouses, hence Jenny is not eligible for OCI.

Point 3 of PIO is valid for her. She is then entitled to all the following benefits
From the same website:
Quote:
What Benefits accure to a PIO card Holder

*No visa required for visiting India.
*No separate “Student Visa” or “Employment Visa” required for admissions in Colleges/Institutions or for taking up employment respectively.
* A PIO Card holder will be exempt from the requirement of registration if his stay on any single visit in India does not exceed 180 days.
  • In the event of continuous stay in India of the PIO Card holder exceeding 180 days, he/she shall have to get himself/herself registered within 30 days of the expiry of 180 days with the concerned Foreigners Regional Registration Officer / Foreigners Registration Officer
  • Parity with non-resident Indians in respect of facilities available to the latter in economic, financial and educational field.
  • All PIOs including PIO Card holders shall enjoy parity with NRIs in respect of all facilities in the matter of acquisition, holding, transfer and disposal of immovable properties in India except in matters relating to the acquisition of agricultural/plantation properties. No parity shall be allowed in the sphere of political rights.
  • Facilities available to children of NRIs for getting admission to educational institutions in India including medical colleges, engineering colleges, Institute of Technology, Institute of Management, etc. under the generalcategories.
  • Facilities available under the various housing scheme of LIC, State Government and other Government Agencies.
  • Special counters at the immigration check posts for speedy clearance.
I have just realised that registration with the FRRO shall continue if she stays for over 6 months at a stretch even after the PIO, but the employment or visit visa will no longer be needed.

But what I have understood is that a single registration is needed for every intention to stay within india for more than 6 months, not one every 6 months of stay.

I was unaware of a residence permit. I must find out more.

I have a question for the tax gurus.

With regards to this
Quote:
Parity with non-resident Indians in respect of facilities available to the latter in economic, financial and educational field.
I have a question.

Jenny will earn in rupees in India. But given the above point, does this mean that as a PIO she earns in India, but pays no income tax like an NRI?

Also a related question: If a foreign citizen earns in Rupees in India (before getting PIO or anything) does the foreigner pay income tax in India?

Talk about seriously OT, lol
Old 8th November 2008, 18:33   #100
Team-BHP Support

Sam

1: I have a residence permit till the validity of my passport - might be since I am a moderator!

2: Till she qualifies as Resident Indian (not sure howmany years, it used to be 9), she will need to pay tax only on income earned over here
Old 8th November 2008, 19:21   #101
BHPian

Deepawali super blog ! Thank you Sam. Also, thank you for giving gyan on immigration.

But...

Quote:
We intend to stick to the book, no matter how difficult it may be. We have no intention to get into any trouble and I certainly do not want the immigration authorities pulling a "Negar Khan" on her, lol.
Who is Negar Khan, is he a T-Bhpian? What happened to him? I am just curious.
Old 8th November 2008, 19:28   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomBatt View Post
Who is Negar Khan, is he a T-Bhpian? What happened to him? I am just curious.
LOL. far from that and its a she. Google is your friend.
Old 8th November 2008, 21:36   #103
BHPian

One big draw back of OCI is that you give up consulate access incase of emergency, which is a big issue in my opinion.

A few years ago, when I was living in India, we would register with FRRO just once and they would issue you a booklet till validity of your visa. All your travels would be recorded in that. I dont know if they revamped that with PIO card. It was virtually a painless system.
Old 9th November 2008, 15:07   #104
Senior - BHPian

Nice diwali blog.
Hope, you have enjoyed diwali sweets too [ very less mention about sweets].
The end was typical bollywood style.
No post from theone about diwali.
Old 9th November 2008, 15:27   #105
KVS
BHPian

Nice Blog Sam!!

It is interesting to see very few people in Team-BHP share their personal life open.

It is very nice reading. Your blog brought back my old sweet memories of my courting days with my now wife.

Cherish these moments!!!

Cheers

KVS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks