Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2008, 00:27   #1

parking heartache

I have a weird parking problem. If anyone has dealt with such an issue Id like to hear from you. In my building, at the spot allocated to me which is next to the balcony side of the floors above, there is always some dirt falling from the flower pots of the people living in the floors above. I even noticed a few dents on my car roof. That's when I knew there could be stones falling too. I told the people in my building who had the flowerpots to be careful, but they kept passing the buck saying its not their, and that its of someone else on another floor. For a few days it stops then again it starts falling and I see muddy water fallen all over my car and it has dried up as well. Then one day a stone fell on my rear windshield while I was seated in the car and about to take it out. The windshield was totally shattered and I had to replace it.
I gave a written complaint to the society and told them to arrange for another place. The thing is I can easily park my car at another place provided one person there makes a slight adjustment, which will actually benefit us both. But that man is saying his daughter will not be able to manage the new change in parking angle... Ive asked them to just park it at an angle to the wall instead of parallel to it. Still they are not adjusting. society is unwilling to do anything. meanwhile everytime I park my car I wonder if anything has fallen on it or not. I know its very possible that something will because it has fallen on my car roof and I have the dents to prove it. Since nobody else is currently getting affected by this problem I am left to deal with it by myself... and I dont know what to do.

Any advice? legal or otherwise.

Thanks.
Old 4th November 2008, 04:26   #2
BHPian

Well, you can try putting up a net. At least it will prevent any major dent. wont be a costly affair. Good old mosquito net will do unless the whole pot itself falls!
Old 4th November 2008, 06:59   #3
BHPian

A case I know, soc taken to court.
Took time, but decision was favourable.
Till that time force park in someone else's area - the one's whose pots are kept in the balcony.
Its the matter of damaging others property.
Ask for tonnes of compensation.
Old 4th November 2008, 08:46   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Start first with a peaceful approach:

Stick a notice in the society lift detailing your problems with photos.

If it does not work, after a week, threaten the chairman/secretary that you will go to the municipality cause flower pots are illegal to be put outside balcony (its true). A threat usually works. Only in extreme cases should you go to the municipal corporation.

In the meanwhile, you can use the net idea and send a bill to the society along with a solicitor's notice.

Or else start parking your car at the entrance to the building compound. Once all members start getting harassed, only then will some decision be taken.

Usually, after all peaceful ways are exhausted, i have noticed that only arm twisting works with societies!
Old 4th November 2008, 08:52   #5
BHPian

Yes putting a net on your cost is fine. You can ask the society to put shed made of fiber glass etc. If this is not acceptable park the vehicle at a place which is not allocated but car can be parked may be guest parking or near the entrance/lobby etc. Put this info also on notice.
Yes keeping pots on boundary wall is illegal and this should be there in your bylaws.
Tell the residents that he would be takign snaps and sending to MC for legal action and fine
I think with this it would be taken care
Old 4th November 2008, 09:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

For first start parking in Visitors parking area, this is to prevent further damage

Put up a net at an angle, you might need some elevatedpoint to tie it at one end, other end can slope down below the balcony to the ground. Some people might even object to this, in that case follow other options as suggested earlier.
Old 4th November 2008, 09:30   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
For first start parking in Visitors parking area, this is to prevent further damage
Both you bangloreans have suggested visitors parking. However, hardly 1% of buildings in bombay have visitors/guest parking. Most of the times you have to park your second car on the road.
Old 4th November 2008, 09:38   #8
BHPian

Thats true but still he can find some place within apartment where he can park the vehicle
Whatever action he plans to take better to inform them through notice board or group email if they have.
Old 4th November 2008, 10:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

I also had faced a parking problem, but its different from your's.
Here is a link to the thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...deal-them.html

Now in your case what I suggest is that ask the people to move the flowerpots, etc. If they say flowerpots are not theirs, access the flowerpots and throw them away as they dont belong to anyone. If you are able to find the owner, in a firm way ask him to move those things.
If this does not work, damage their cars. The various methods for doing this are mentioned in the thread listed above.
This will work.
Old 4th November 2008, 10:52   #10
Team-BHP Support

I second the above.

- Park your car somewhere else. Put up a photo of the damage and the cause on the society notice board.

- Identify the culprits, and damage their cars slightly. Maybe they will understand,
Old 4th November 2008, 10:59   #11
BHPian

I don't prefer in damaging the car of others.
First try to get the pots removed and suitable parking place. This can be inconvenient to others but its OK.
Damaging others cars is not good. Every one loves their cars.
Old 4th November 2008, 12:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirst4torque View Post
Well, you can try putting up a net. At least it will prevent any major dent. wont be a costly affair. Good old mosquito net will do unless the whole pot itself falls!
I cant. Soc will not let me.
Old 4th November 2008, 12:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemon View Post
I cant. Soc will not let me.
Hey man if society is so strict then why they are not listening to you. You need to break the rules to raise your voice
Old 4th November 2008, 13:05   #14
BHPian

Get the team together.

May I suggest something too?

Well, since everyone here is being outspoken and trying to be a help, I suggest that you guys go help him out. Get together at his place. Create a small scene. Make some noise. gather a crowd ( which the indians love to do) and get the flower pot owner pin pointed. Make a statement that the flower pots be removed from the balcony as yes, they cause damage to cars parked below. Even if he says its not his fault. Since you are having a tough time proving that, might as well irradicate the cause of the probelm itself.

So mumbai team bhpians, its time to get together and prove some metal.
Old 4th November 2008, 13:32   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
May I suggest something too?

Well, since everyone here is being outspoken and trying to be a help, I suggest that you guys go help him out. Get together at his place. Create a small scene. Make some noise. gather a crowd ( which the indians love to do) and get the flower pot owner pin pointed. Make a statement that the flower pots be removed from the balcony as yes, they cause damage to cars parked below. Even if he says its not his fault. Since you are having a tough time proving that, might as well irradicate the cause of the probelm itself.

So mumbai team bhpians, its time to get together and prove some metal.
Hmmm... good point. I'm game! If nothing, we'll have a small t-bhp meet...

Some of us can behave like BMC officials and survey the area just to scare the life outta the society people.

Unfortunately, I'm the only guy from mumbai on this thread. Two isn't a crowd...

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 4th November 2008 at 13:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks