Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2011, 21:56   #61
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Solar water heater

Folks, need your help.
We have a 9 year old solar water heater of 300 lt capacity (Anu Solar Brand).
A month ago we noticed leaks in the tank near the joints of the side caps and it's gotten much worser now. Water in our borewell is mildly hard, not very bad though but don't know if this is the cause for the leaks. My initial thought was to replace the tank but Anu Solar is quoting Rs.18,000. Also, we really don't need 300 lt now since the family is smaller (3 adults, 1 child) so contemplating a 200 lt tank but that also costs Rs.12,000 as per Anu Solar
However, Anu Solar is offering to exchange our old system for a brand new 200 lt system for Rs.11,000 (Rs.19,000 - Rs.8,000 for old one).
I also checked with vendors of other brands but none of them are ready to offer any discount in lieu of the old one.
So, need your suggestions on what to do. If someone can share prices of various brands (200 lt) if possible that would be very helpful.

Last edited by NPV : 15th December 2011 at 21:59.
Old 16th December 2011, 04:47   #62
BHPian

18k for a 200 liter sounds like the right price for a vacuum tube type panel. I recently installed a pressurized type of solar which cost about 34k but that's because of 2 things: one is it is copper based and another is it is a pressurized system.

As to the exchange price, I am not very sure of the price. Most of the price would have been for the copper in the panels. Wonder how much it would cost if you take it to a copper scrap dealer.

Aldo check about the government subsidy you should be getting on the new one.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 06:33   #63
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
18k for a 200 liter sounds like the right price for a vacuum tube type panel. I recently installed a pressurized type of solar which cost about 34k but that's because of 2 things: one is it is copper based and another is it is a pressurized system.
As to the exchange price, I am not very sure of the price. Most of the price would have been for the copper in the panels. Wonder how much it would cost if you take it to a copper scrap dealer.
Aldo check about the government subsidy you should be getting on the new one.
Thanks @deep_bang.
Do let me know what you meant by your solar water heater being copper based ? I don't think I will need a pressurised system since tank will be on the terrace (second floor of our house) and existing system also has no issues related to water pressure.
18K and 12K were the quoted prices for the 300 lt and 200 lt tank alone (to replace the old one). No subsidies on this since it's replacement of tank alone.
The old system has two flat plate collector solar panels, don't know how much a scrap dealer would offer for this.
Anu solar is quoting 19K price after government subsidy for 200 lt Vacuum tube based system (actual price being Rs.24K). On top of this, they are also offering 8K for the old one so it seems to be a great deal for 11K.
Don't know what I'm missing here or what else I need to look out for.

Last edited by NPV : 16th December 2011 at 06:48.
Old 16th December 2011, 07:09   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like a great deal to me.
Old 16th December 2011, 18:30   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV
Thanks @deep_bang.
Do let me know what you meant by your solar water heater being copper based ? .
First of all, the deal looks to be fair.
What I meant about copper based panel is that, some panels are made using copper tubes. Vacuum tube type panels are relatively newer technology and so I just assumed that your old one was copper tube type panel. So, that explains why the deal looks good.

From your perspective it looks like a good idea to go for a new one that will work for another 10 yrs.
Old 17th December 2011, 00:25   #66
BHPian

Well NPV in your own interest I would want you to get some reviews from previous customers about the current systems (especially since you mentioned that you are going in for the tubed technology-ETC systems)that Anu Solar is dealing in. Well I am not against any brand but myself being a dealer for solar water heating systems for multiple companies I had heard certain stuff which made me stay away from adding the brand into my dealership so I'd request you to inquire from previous customers about ETC-tubed systems, not the FPC-flat plate collector which you already had. If you feel confident enough then please go ahead since that's the best deal according to me.
richie4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 09:13   #67
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Well NPV in your own interest I would want you to get some reviews from previous customers about the current systems (especially since you mentioned that you are going in for the tubed technology-ETC systems)that Anu Solar is dealing in. Well I am not against any brand but myself being a dealer for solar water heating systems for multiple companies I had heard certain stuff which made me stay away from adding the brand into my dealership so I'd request you to inquire from previous customers about ETC-tubed systems, not the FPC-flat plate collector which you already had. If you feel confident enough then please go ahead since that's the best deal according to me.
After talking to Anu Solar, Tata BP & Racold here's where I am:
1. All of them are recommending the ETC type for reasons of efficiency and lower cost

2. All of them recommending 2 x 100 lt systems connected in series instead of single 200 lt system

3. Buyback price offered for old system (for the copper in the panels) - Tata BP & Racold offering 7k, Anu Solar offering 8k

4. Anu Solar and Racold offering subsidy as a direct discount in price, Tata BP saying no discounts, recommend going in for the NABARD loan scheme that all nationalised banks have signed up to offer. They will help with all documentation for the loan process but it means I will pay them the full amount first, then get a refund after the bank releases payment to Tata BP when loan is approved. Further, subsidy will be credited to loan account and reduce the loan principal to that extent. They also give 5 year free service and 1 year guarantee as per the loan scheme mandated by the government

5. Pricing:
Tata BP - 2 x 16000 = 32000, subsidy = 12000. Buyback = 7000, Net Price = 13000
Anu Solar - 2 x 11500 = 23000 (subsidised price). Buyback = 8000, Net Price = 15000
Racold - 2 x 14500 = 29000 (subsidised price). Buyback = 7000, Net Price = 22000

6. Shortlisted Anu Solar and Tata BP

7. Found some more details: Anu Solar uses 12 ETC tubes in each 100 lt system, Tata BP uses 15. Apprently Anu Solar uses chinese made tubes not of very good quality compared to Tata BP.

8. Decided to go with Tata BP, but still a little wary about the ETC tube type Vs Flat plate collector. Help !

Sorry for the long post, hoping this will also help others.

Last edited by NPV : 17th December 2011 at 09:16.
Old 17th December 2011, 12:22   #68
BHPian

Well NPV its a good decision and a good buy too, Well I find the recommendation regarding 2x100 lts systems against a single 200lts system a bit strange but is to due to space constraints cause otherwise I feel you should go in for a single 200lts system only (2x100 system is more expensive then 1x200). Well regarding ETC v/s FPC systems, dont worry about their functioning cause till now I have installed about 500+ ETC systems and I have not received any major complain about them till date so go ahead.
Old 17th December 2011, 16:25   #69
BHPian

The property plus page of today's 'The Hindu' has an article on Solar energy.
The Hindu : FEATURES / PROPERTY PLUS : Make your own electricity

One interesting fact mentioned is that these models use the UV rays from the sun
for heating and hence even on a cloudy winter day they will work.
Old 17th December 2011, 23:04   #70
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

It's settled, well almost ! Placed the order, installation to be done early next week.
Decided on the Tata BP Zing Flat Plate collector model, cost is definitely much more than the ETC type.
Tata BP - 2 x 22000 = 44000, subsidy = 13200. Buyback = 7000, Net Price = 23800

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Well I find the recommendation regarding 2x100 lts systems against a single 200lts system a bit strange but is to due to space constraints cause otherwise I feel you should go in for a single 200lts system only (2x100 system is more expensive then 1x200). Well regarding ETC v/s FPC systems, dont worry about their functioning cause till now I have installed about 500+ ETC systems and I have not received any major complain about them till date so go ahead.
Why 2 x 100 lts instead of a single 200 lts ? We're going in for a 2 SWH's connected in series - Cold water from overhead tank is fed to SWH #1 and output of this is sent to input of SWH #2 and output of this is then fed to the bathrooms/kitchen. This way we should have enough hot water in the evenings too. Also, the electric heater will be connected to SWH #2 so in case we need to use it on colder days it will be quicker to get hot water from a 100 lt tank as compared to a 200 lt tank.
Why FPC instead of ETC ? ETC's are more fragile and prone to failure as compared to the FPC's that have toughened glass panels. Also, no resale value for the ETC's compared to FPC panels (the copper in them is valuable).

These are the reasons that I based my decision on, I'm hoping it will turn out to be a good decision

Last edited by NPV : 17th December 2011 at 23:21.
Old 28th September 2012, 12:03   #71
Senior - BHPian

Got my Solar Gyeser installed 15 days back. The total capacity is 1000 LPD (litrs/day). But I have installed 5 X 200 LPD tanks. The reason being that if not much of hotwater is required on a cloudy day then the last 200lpd tank only needs to be connected to the electrical heating. Also with individual heating if in any tank a tube breaks then only water from that tank will get wasted. The tanks are inter-connected with non return valves.

I have also given a complete bypass pipe to the system so that in summer days solar heating can be bypassed.

Since its an existing structure, the plumbing had to be done on the outside.

I have used Kitec (brand name) pipes for carrying hot water from geyser to barh rooms. These are double insulated bendable pipes and apparently the heat loss is minimal. Also because of minimal bends the water pressure is not reduced. I have further insulated the pipes with another insulation that is used to insulate the copper ac pipes. On it I have put plastic pipe casing. The joints have been closed with black electrical tape.

Here are some pics

5X 200lpd tanks connected in series. A GI pipe running below to bypass the system in summers
Solar water heater-31082012639.jpg

Each tank connected with a non return valve. There is also an air vent pipe that needs to be higher than the water tank. The air vent pipe has been wrongly insulated. But I need to insulate the pipes connecting the tanks as they carry hot water
Solar water heater-31082012640.jpg

The final tank with hot water outlet carrying hot water to bath rooms. The kitec pipe is insulated with armaflex insulation (used to insulate ac pipes) and then over it a pipe casing. Joints covered with black electrical insulation tape
Solar water heater-31082012641.jpg

This is the insulated Kitec pipe
Solar water heater-31082012642.jpg

We have had a few sunny days (after monsoons) now and I had the chance to check the water temperature.

The temperature today in the morning at 1000 hrs was 70 degrees and hopefully would increase by the evening.

So far so good, but now lets see what happens during peak of winters.

Regards
Old 26th December 2012, 07:36   #72
BHPian

Hi deky, what is the update during the winter season?
Old 26th December 2012, 13:53   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshastry View Post
Hi deky, what is the update during the winter season?
Congrats to both deky & NPV. Some basic questions :-

1. How're the systems functioning?
2. Is hot water available even in the mornings after a very cold night such as nowadays?
3. Does the water heat up sufficiently on overcast and windy days?
4. How much time does it take to heat up water from a cold tank to acceptably warm water?
4. Maintenance issues?
5. Failures?

Cheers !
Old 27th December 2012, 12:18   #74
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have a problem. We have a Sintex Solar Water Heater (the plastic kind - http://www.hellotrade.com/sintex-ind...er-system.html) installed at our home which has been doing duty since the past 10 years or so, but now the Water tank seems to have been busted. It's got a deep crack around the circumference of the tank and the insulation material is now open to air - this means that there is extensive heat loss, and the water gets cold very soon in the tank. We need to get this tank replaced, but Sintex has stopped making these plastic setups anymore and I couldn't find a single supplier that has this tank available.

Any alternates that can be used for the tank that would fit my current setup? Or some sealing material that you guys suggest that I can use to seal up the crack on the tank that can withhold the hot temperatures?
Old 11th January 2014, 02:08   #75
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,

Greetings!

Wish you all Happy New Year 2014

Its been almost more then a year now with no update to this thread.

I have a query and thought of posting it here in this thread.

We are planning for Solar Water heater and are considering Racold.

So far every seller we checked, suggested a series connection for 24 hours hot water supply.

We need it for four people and are planning for a 200 ltr one. The seller suggests us following options for 24 hours hot water

2 x 100 = 200 ltr

Or

1 x 100 + 1 x 150 = 250 lts

Or

1 x 200 + 1 x 100 = 300 ltr

Type - Tube type

It would be for the daily morning bath, some utensil wash in the kitchen as may be needed and sometimes as the need may be for an evening bath.

We would go with the optional installation of an electric heater for the SWH as the cost is minimal.

My prime concern is the space the series system would take vis a vis single tank SWH. We really dont want to give away too much space as it will affect the over all beauty and space of the terrace. I am really not interested for series system if a single 200 ltr is capable of providing me the service as per the above mentioned requirement.

Hence I want to know if single 200 ltr should be enough or series is really needed and not a money making stunt for the sellers.

BHPians who are using single SWH as well as series could enlighten me with their experience/suggestions/inputs.

Thanks in Advance!

tush.

Last edited by tush : 11th January 2014 at 02:10. Reason: Append

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks