Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2008, 18:07   #1
BHPian

Sailing - anyone here in TBhp?

hi all,

I know we are a BHP forum, but how many of you here do Sail? anything from a Optimist or any Dingy for that matter.?

Have you tried it once at least? Share your experience here please.,
Old 18th November 2008, 21:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

I sail quite often. My safari rolls like the Titanic in high seas.
Old 18th November 2008, 23:45   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Used to sail, yachts rather than dingies. I'm a non-swimmer and not so keen on things that throw you in if you make a mistake! I've always had this thing with water: I love being by or on it, but not so keen on being in it. This is partly due to not having enough fat on my skinny bones to keep me either warm or afloat, which made school swimming lessons hell.

Sailed boats from 29 to 44 foot around SW coasts of UK, East Coast, Souther North Sea, cross-Channel, Scilly Isles etc. A period of ill health made me give up, got involved in other stuff, and somehow never went back.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2008, 18:37   #4
BHPian

imm - some what same here - like to be IN, Near, Around and ON water! always!
Want to try sailing some time, probly here in Chennai. Wonder who, where how?

I know Madras has a 100 year Old yatch club! one of the first in India I guess, but then don't really know where to start. Should go to the club and see if something works out! Should give it a try on some week end and then decide if it is worth to continue!

Well not only Sailing, if some one has experience in Sailing, Kayaking, Canoeing and Kiteboarding as well please leave your experience here!

And any Chennai/Mumbai sailors please mention here! It will be of great help. Wonder if there exists a nice forum like ours for Sailing in India?
Old 22nd November 2008, 09:58   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I am a National Caded Corps ( N.C.C) "C" certificate holder from the Navy unit during my college days. I have done lot of Kayking ( K1 and K2's) and Rowing but sadly, never had the opportunity to try out sailing. I use to practice kaying for almost couple of hours each day for almost 2 years, so you can imagine, i am kind of a expert on that.

I am also a gold medal winner in boat-pulling competition in a competition held between different regions of AP in Vizag. I was representing Hyderabad and we won this competition by a HUGE MARGIN ( >10 boat lengths). This was purely because the 5 of us pulling the boats were huge guys ( all over 6.1ft,well built as this competition calls for brute power).

And, trust me, it ain't easy as you practically stand up each time you use those mammoth oars and at the end of it you come back with almost bloodied,skin peeled palms.

Boat used for this competition is a 15 foot with 3-people managing the starboard and 2 on the port side. And, to guide through the race course/route, there used to be a coaxan

Those days were a lot of fun !!!!
Old 22nd November 2008, 14:17   #6
BHPian

Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am a National Caded Corps ( N.C.C) "C" certificate holder from the Navy unit during my college days. I have done lot of Kayking ( K1 and K2's) and Rowing but sadly, never had the opportunity to try out sailing. I use to practice kaying for almost couple of hours each day for almost 2 years, so you can imagine, i am kind of a expert on that.

I am also a gold medal winner in boat-pulling competition in a competition held between different regions of AP in Vizag. I was representing Hyderabad and we won this competition by a HUGE MARGIN ( >10 boat lengths). This was purely because the 5 of us pulling the boats were huge guys ( all over 6.1ft,well built as this competition calls for brute power).

And, trust me, it ain't easy as you practically stand up each time you use those mammoth oars and at the end of it you come back with almost bloodied,skin peeled palms.

Boat used for this competition is a 15 foot with 3-people managing the starboard and 2 on the port side. And, to guide through the race course/route, there used to be a coaxan

Those days were a lot of fun !!!!

Wow that is nice to know.
I never knew pulling a boat was a competitive sport!

Well about Kayaking, please tell us what kind of Kayaks you use?
And did you own the Kayaks or was it the Government/Associations?
Where in India do you get Kayaks with single cockpits?
How many rowers in the type of Kayaks you used?
Old 22nd November 2008, 16:51   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionSwords View Post
Wow that is nice to know.
I never knew pulling a boat was a competitive sport!

Well about Kayaking, please tell us what kind of Kayaks you use?
And did you own the Kayaks or was it the Government/Associations?
Where in India do you get Kayaks with single cockpits?
How many rowers in the type of Kayaks you used?
Thanks, I didnt own them. They were part of the sailing club here in Hyderabad and we use to practise in Tank Bund ( you would know the huge lake that we have here if you have visited hyderabad). I think it is still open for membership.

K1 are single cockpit kayaks with a single oar and you sit in that with your legs stretched out straight ahead of you and you need to really spend sometime before you balance it as it keeps tilting to each side and you need to balance and row accordingly and if you overturn, no way you can get back in the boat.

I fell twice in the middle of that huge lake and had to drag the boat back to shore ( more than 1km away) as our coach was very particular that we can't leave it and swim back

K 1 = single cockpit with single oar

K 2 = two people can sit and both use a separate single oar. This is much easy and good for beginners

In hyderabad, atleast twice a year, we have full fledge sailing competition held with many sailors coming from across the country

Note: Apart from that i have fired over 500 rounds of .303 rifle during my NCC stint. Whereas, each student is given like 75 rounds or something only. But, i use to do a lot of favors to my trainer ( pick them up and drop them and stuff back in my car as during those days i was the only guy going to the sunday parade in a car)

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd November 2008 at 16:55.
Old 22nd November 2008, 17:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think Mad Monkey is into sailing in a big way.
Old 22nd November 2008, 17:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well there is a sailing club here in mumbai. I heard about this but never got a chance. Can someone get info>
Old 22nd November 2008, 20:43   #10
BHPian

Hey buddies,
Try the Tamilnadu Sailing Association (TNSA). They have a lot of sailing activities.
I am a Marine Engineer and have sailed quite a bit on merchant ships. Though I did learn sailing during my short stint in the Sea Cadet Corps in Mumbai a long time ago.

If anyone is interested, I could find out more about sailing from TNSA and mebbe we could meet someplace and figure out a way to get associated with it.
aabidansari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2008, 07:53   #11
BHPian

Oh Yeah TNSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabidansari View Post
Hey buddies,
Try the Tamilnadu Sailing Association (TNSA). They have a lot of sailing activities.
I am a Marine Engineer and have sailed quite a bit on merchant ships. Though I did learn sailing during my short stint in the Sea Cadet Corps in Mumbai a long time ago.

If anyone is interested, I could find out more about sailing from TNSA and mebbe we could meet someplace and figure out a way to get associated with it.

Hey man Ansari,

Sure thing, please find out from some one you may know, from TNSA, what how, where, how much, etc etc., we can sometime meet up and try something out.

PS: Any place to get a single cockpit Kayak (preferably fiber mould), would be great if we get some info on used one, second sales etc.,
MillionSwords is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 11:40   #12
BHPian

Re: Sailing - anyone here in TBhp?

Reviving an old thread.
My son (9 years old) recently did a 2-day basic sailing course in Goa. The instructor taught him the ropes, so to speak, including a capsize drill. There was always a rescue boat within range.

My son learnt enough to be able to sail solo, and we intend to continue next season.

Here are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Sailing - anyone here in TBhp?-sail01.jpg  

Sailing - anyone here in TBhp?-sail02.jpg  

Sailing - anyone here in TBhp?-sail03.jpg  

Sailing - anyone here in TBhp?-sail04.jpg  

Sailing - anyone here in TBhp?-sail05.jpg  

Sailing - anyone here in TBhp?-sail06.jpg  

Sailing - anyone here in TBhp?-sail07.jpg  

flotsam is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 11:53   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabidansari View Post
Will the Madras Boat Club help sailing enthusiasts?
And there is the Royal Madras Yacht Club somewhere near the RBI. And of course the Seafarer’s Club too.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 12:34   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotsam View Post
My son learnt enough to be able to sail solo, and we intend to continue next season.
This is very interesting, thanks for sharing!

So does this mean a person who has done the course can rent one of these sailing dinghies and explore sections of the Goa coast? I assume there must be more to it in terms of requirements or regulations.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 12:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
This is very interesting, thanks for sharing!

So does this mean a person who has done the course can rent one of these sailing dinghies and explore sections of the Goa coast? I assume there must be more to it in terms of requirements or regulations.
Hi am1m: once you do the course, you can rent the boats, but you can sail only within the bay, where the sailing centre is located. I am not sure if they let you sail further around the coast.

But there probably are other boat rentals who might allow longer expeditions.
flotsam is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed