Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2008, 20:54   #1
BHPian

Any T-BHPian in and around Allentown Pennsylvania, USA? EDIT: Now - Washington DC

Hi,

Is there anybody from team BHP in and around Allentown, Pennsylvania, USA?? I am here for a short official engagement (2 months) and I want to know if they can take me around!! or spend some time on weekends/evenings. I do not have a car at my disposal and it's holding me captive in the guest house!
Old 28th November 2008, 09:13   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Hi,

Is there anybody from team BHP in and around Allentown, Pennsylvania, USA?? I am here for a short official engagement (2 months) and I want to know if they can take me around!! or spend some time on weekends/evenings. I do not have a car at my disposal and it's holding me captive in the guest house!
Dude, What a request?. Meeting once in a way is fine. What do you mean by taking you around?

Anyways, have a nice trip!
Old 28th November 2008, 09:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

if you don't have a driving experience in states, it's going to be tough. it's cold and very difficult to walk or bike.

You are very close to some of the best places to see in US. if you can't find friends nearby, i suggest looking for tour operators. chinese are most cost effective, you need ear plugs to escape the tour guide's voice though. Here is something i used long back. they operate from philadelphia too.

IvyMedia - List, Search and Shop Chinatown Bus and Other Bus Tickets, Tours and Vacation packages
Old 28th November 2008, 09:31   #4

Hey, your post brought back memories. Unfortunately not there at this time. But spent good few years in Reading, PA which is close to Allentown.

Washington, Boston and NY are all within 3 hrs drive from Allentown. If no car, go with the good old Greyhounds . Anyway, enjoy your stay.
Old 30th November 2008, 02:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Dude, What a request?. Meeting once in a way is fine. What do you mean by taking you around?

Anyways, have a nice trip!
Why stop short while requesting?? he he he he

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
if you don't have a driving experience in states, it's going to be tough. it's cold and very difficult to walk or bike.

You are very close to some of the best places to see in US. if you can't find friends nearby, i suggest looking for tour operators. chinese are most cost effective, you need ear plugs to escape the tour guide's voice though. Here is something i used long back. they operate from philadelphia too.

IvyMedia - List, Search and Shop Chinatown Bus and Other Bus Tickets, Tours and Vacation packages
Thanks a lot vivekiny2k! Yeah, I plan to visit as many places as possible. Thanks for the link!

@Soumik, thanks a lot for the response. This whole Lehigh valley is beautiful!

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th December 2008 at 13:39. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread.
Old 30th November 2008, 10:02   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Do visit Boston for its historical monuments, duck tour and beautiful galleries and famous universities. And, NY for that unexplainable pulse of life and for some good indian masala food in NJ

I love Boston ( entire MA infact) for its European feel and ambience, so untypical American city. Infact, i love the North East, specially Maine and RI.

Darn, this brings back fond memories of some awesome times that i had in Boston !!!
Old 1st December 2008, 02:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Do visit Boston for its historical monuments, duck tour and beautiful galleries and famous universities. And, NY for that unexplainable pulse of life and for some good indian masala food in NJ

I love Boston ( entire MA infact) for its European feel and ambience, so untypical American city. Infact, i love the North East, specially Maine and RI.

Darn, this brings back fond memories of some awesome times that i had in Boston !!!
Hi Avinash,

I am planning for a week long east coast tour before I head back to my lovely India including Boston. Had been to Jersy couple of times but, they were all flying visits and no site seeing et al.
Old 1st December 2008, 05:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
I am planning for a week long east coast tour before I head back to my lovely India including Boston. Had been to Jersy couple of times but, they were all flying visits and no site seeing et al.
for some reason i think the attractions can be covered best in weekends in parts. here is my dream list...not that i haven't seen these. you are out of luck for natural beauty since it's winter already. almost all can be done by public transport.

1. NY - statue of liberty, intrepid sea airport museum, madam tussads, empire state building, times square, night life, some time pass in central park/bryant park if it's summer. christmas in NY will be great. new year is more of hype and hassle.
2. Atlantic city.
3. niagara. haz for all indians :-) have never seen it in winter. heard it's good when frozen.
4. boston
5. wachington dc - not much to do except memorials, capitol etc.
6. philadephia.
7. in PA you can see hershey's chocolate factory, gettysburg (civil war site), york (harley davidson facotry) only when you have nothing else to do.

I don't think you would be missing india so much that you need to visit indian side of NJ.
Old 2nd December 2008, 06:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
for some reason i think the attractions can be covered best in weekends in parts. here is my dream list...not that i haven't seen these. you are out of luck for natural beauty since it's winter already. almost all can be done by public transport.

1. NY - statue of liberty, intrepid sea airport museum, madam tussads, empire state building, times square, night life, some time pass in central park/bryant park if it's summer. christmas in NY will be great. new year is more of hype and hassle.
2. Atlantic city.
3. niagara. haz for all indians :-) have never seen it in winter. heard it's good when frozen.
4. boston
5. wachington dc - not much to do except memorials, capitol etc.
6. philadephia.
7. in PA you can see hershey's chocolate factory, gettysburg (civil war site), york (harley davidson facotry) only when you have nothing else to do. .
The list looks great! I will make sure of visiting all these places. BTW, the tour does include Hershey's. . .I will try to accomodate York just because it has Harley Davidson!

Quote:
I don't think you would be missing india so much that you need to visit indian side of NJ.
I know what you mean! lol!
Old 29th April 2009, 03:22   #10
BHPian

Back to the square one! the USA!

Hi Guys!

I am in the same precarious situation as I was before!! I am back in the USA and this time i'm in Washington DC. This time it is worst! I am alone and nothing to do since my work is onhold due to some official delays! I have all the free time in the world but I do not know what to do with it except for sitting in the apartment watching the idiot box, browsing the net, cooking and having few beers! all by myslef! I have done the city sight seeing courtesy my friends who visited me for a weekend. The place where I am put up is downdown Washington, very close to all the tourist places including the whitehouse etc. I am really thankful to those guys.

Now the question is, the same old question!

Are there any t-bhpians in and around Washington DC who can join me for a few drinks and who can help me move around?? I know "mobike" will be laughing his *#q@$ OFF!! But, I needed to field this question never the less!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks