Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2008, 22:56   #1
BHPian

Stuck in Bangkok & Indian Embassy

just wondering if anyone else over here is stuck in Bangkok like me.

was supposed to join a new job in india yesterday and here I am.
Called up Indian Embassy and they were hardly bothered. he toldme there is 24 hour helpline, and when I call back @ 9pm they tell me no 24 hour. hardly of any help.

Saw quite a few teenagers in Indian restraunts or streets, esentailly stuck & some in crying mode. most of them were onw ay back from colleges in Autralia and are stuck here.
Old 28th November 2008, 22:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Just hang on buddy - I'm sure that the situation will get better.
How are you? Are you from Bangkok - do you have enough money etc to last a few days.
Old 28th November 2008, 23:25   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Just hang on buddy - I'm sure that the situation will get better.
How are you? Are you from Bangkok - do you have enough money etc to last a few days.
I was working here for last 1 year so have some money which i kept with me instead of tranferring it.
it seems it will take a few more days. but the hotel is making money for sure.

And to know anything about Mumbai, all I have is "Sahara Samay :( " - which is pathetic to say the least and BBC - which since today morning seems so pro pakistan.

Last edited by METISWHG : 28th November 2008 at 23:27.
Old 28th November 2008, 23:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its okay. Two of my colleagues are in there as well. They're waiting for the delhi flight.

They said city's peaceful - how is it really?
Old 28th November 2008, 23:43   #5
BHPian

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the exact reason you are stuck in bangkok ? Is that because of the terrorist attack in mumbai ?

Hope the problem gets sorted out and you get back here at the earliest, and take up the new job.

@edit : Got it ! Dayumm, I am totally out of touch with news other than Mumbai since yesterday.

Last edited by hkanitkar : 28th November 2008 at 23:55.
Old 28th November 2008, 23:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanitkar View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the exact reason you are stuck in bangkok ? Is that because of the terrorist attack in mumbai ?

Hope the problem gets sorted out and you get back here at the earliest, and take up the new job.
You can try this link for info > UPDATE 1-SCENARIOS-What's in store for troubled Thailand? | Industries | Financial Services & Real Estate | Reuters
Its not Mumbai problem

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th November 2008 at 16:18. Reason: link added
Old 28th November 2008, 23:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanitkar View Post

bangkok airport is closed. reason peoples alliance for democracy has occupied it to dissolve a democratically elected govt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Its okay. Two of my colleagues are in there as well. They're waiting for the delhi flight.

They said city's peaceful - how is it really?
quite peaceful. no such issues in here as yet - though might get worse soon. normally these guys behave as if nothing has happened if they dont like something. the land of smiles. me too waiting for delhi flight.
Old 29th November 2008, 00:26   #8
BHPian

He is not stuck there because of the mumbai attacks its because of the protest by the thailand citezens asking to the prime minister or the president to step down.
Old 29th November 2008, 03:13   #9
BHPian

Are the railways moving ? do you have funds to go to Singapore and catch a flight or neighbouring malaysia ? You can always state that due to emergency action in Thailand you are not able to fly out to India.

Do let us know your predicament

cheers
M M
Old 29th November 2008, 14:52   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A good book can make time fly! Plus, it deters all the unnecessary garbage that our idle minds otherwise churn out .
Old 29th November 2008, 15:21   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Are the railways moving ? do you have funds to go to Singapore and catch a flight or neighbouring malaysia ? You can always state that due to emergency action in Thailand you are not able to fly out to India.
This is something a working babudom in a Embassy / Consulate / High Commission would have done. Indeed, to enter another country, you need a visa. A simple "coz the law and order in Malayasia broke down" is not sufficient.

Suing the govt. of India once you are back for lack of assistance may help others who are stuck like this in the future.

And you need to have a record of what the consulate could have done is essential - like train schedule and visa formalities.

Just look at the kind of assistance being provided by the respective embassies to the foreigners in Mumbai.
Old 29th November 2008, 17:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

And you need to have a record of what the consulate could have done is essential - like train schedule and visa formalities.
Visa for transit are given at the Malaysian Border if travelling by road/rail

cheers
M M
Old 29th November 2008, 17:30   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by METISWHG View Post
...was supposed to join a new job in india yesterday and here I am.

Called up Indian Embassy and they were hardly bothered. he toldme there is 24 hour helpline, and when I call back @ 9pm they tell me no 24 hour. hardly of any help...
Call up your new company and let them know of your situation. I'm sure they'll understand. Ask for enough number of days for joining and keep a buffer. E.g., if they offer you one week, ask for two. Hopefully, the situation will improve much before that.

The Indian embassy will help you only if you are in trouble, i.e., if you're a crime victim or such, or if some emergency happens in/to the state of Thailand. But don't give up, keep calling them.
Old 29th November 2008, 17:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

I am also having Thai Airways return ticket from Seoul but our tickets are adjusting in Cathay Pacific from Seoul. Many of my friends returning from Cathay Pacific as Thai and Cathay are member of Star Alliance.

So, in our return journey we will be having a long long break at HongKong.
Old 1st December 2008, 12:20   #15
BHPian

finally got a flight to malaysia yesterday from a small airport near Pattaya.
Back in India now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks