Team-BHP - Auto enthusiasts still cleaning their own vehicles?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Auto enthusiasts still cleaning their own vehicles? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/4980-auto-enthusiasts-still-cleaning-their-own-vehicles.html)

I hope this thread qualifies to be here.

All auto enthusiasts want to keep their toys in a sparkling condition, and I used to be one of them. Not any more, I love to ride, and wipe the dust off my bike, but when it comes to getting rid of the greasy and oily stuff, I keep postponing.

How many of you clean your own cars and bikes? 8 years back when I was in des (B'lore) I had the luxury/option of kids coming to my door step to sparkle my vehicles. Times were different, I still cleaned my vehicles myself. (Stupid!!). Boy, I miss that option now.

In the US I can get my car detailed at work place(costs me dearly.... $60 - $100). Cleaning cars is not a big deal, you always have car washes. With my bike is a different story. I love to keep my chain lubricated, and it sprays all over my wheel in a few weeks.

Anyways, can we have a survey of how many people love to clean their toys themselves.? Here is a before and after snap of my bike's wheel.

It took me an hour (and a lot of "Fantastik" ) to clean the back wheel alone......... huh!!
-Prasadee

Note from Moderator : Please keep the image size to 640 x 480 or use the thumbnail feature of the image hosting site

I damp wipe the Vtec everyday. It gets a complete wash every weekend and a polish once a month (which i started recently).

When i'm in Bangalore, the car just gets a damp wipe by the servant.

Shan2nu

monday mornings is my bikes washing time
i shampoo her every monday
and on no other day

she deserves a wash once a week

I wash my cars every sunday. Starts at about 7 in the morning. Me and my brother start off. Take a small break for bfast. Then again the next two cars till lunch. It takes almost 2 hours to finish washing each car. Once a month we apply wax. i put one coat of solid wax, buff it all up and then put wet look/gloss wax. Finally another 30 minutes of good buffing. After three years my GTX is still in good shape without the need for any special treatments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan2nu
I damp wipe the Vtec everyday. It gets a complete wash every weekend and a polish once a month (which i started recently).

When i'm in Bangalore, the car just gets a damp wipe by the servant.

Shan2nu

I do it everyday - I mean Wash the Baleno. I was not satisfied with the guy who would car wash - so doing it myself.

What do you mean by Damp wipe and complete Wash . Please let me know , If Polish is good - I heared it was not a good idea to apply polish. Or Can I use a Shampoo ?.

Also - would any company offer their service to Polish and Vaccum Clean the car ?. I would be keen to get this done once a month. I live in Bangalore.

My cars are parked in my mill as there is no parking in the building.
Nevertheless i do polish it every month.
But noe plan to get it done from outside - TPC3 for all my cars.

Quote:

Nevertheless i do polish it every month.
Do you personally polish it, or get it done by someone else? i believe this thread is for people who personally clean their cars.

As for me, I don't get the time to wash my vehicles everyday. We have a guy who does that every morning. This is a necessity in Bombay due to the dust, grime and humidity.

I try to do a thorough cleaning on the weekends with a good vacuuming of the interiors of the car and de-greasing of the bikes, but I'm not really anal about it.

Quote:

What do you mean by Damp wipe and complete Wash . Please let me know
For damp wipes, i take a bucket of water and 3 cloths. I first dip one cloth in water and wipe the car, then i take the 2nd one and wipe those areas that are a bit more dirty (wheel arches, mudflaps etc). Then lastly i take a soft dry cloth and wipe off the remaining water, completely.

When i wash the car, i usually use a hose pipe. I wet the car,and while i do that i keep wiping the car with a cloth. Then wipe the car again with car shampoo, the 3rd wipe is again with the hose pipe (to remove the soap off the car), then i use a slightly damp cloth to wipe the car such that it's damp but not wet. Finally comes the drying part, where i use the soft dry cloth.

The polishing usually comes after the complete wash. Once the car is completely dry. I take a damp cloth, apply poilsh to it and wipe the whole car. By the time i'm dont the car looks dull, with a thin layer of dry polish stuck to the body. Then i take the dry cloth and polish the car in a circular motion.

When i'm done, the car looks like it's come right out of the showroom.
I can wipe the car as many as 6 times on a wash and poilsh schedule. It's hard work but, it pays when you see your car shining away to glory.

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by puthari
Also - would any company offer their service to Polish and Vaccum Clean the car ?. I would be keen to get this done once a month. I live in Bangalore.

I recommned Car'r'us on Mission road - they use Autoglym stuff and have a professional set up.

Guys,
Is a pressure wash reccomended for cars.
How often should one do it?

In US I do pressure wash only; Used to cost me 4 $ for 3 mins. sequence
high pressure water wash
high pressure soap wash
high pressure water wash
rinse
tyres and engine soap
rinse
wax
low rinse
everything in 4 minutes
clean with towel and PAT DRY rl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan2nu

I take a damp cloth, apply poilsh to it and wipe the whole car. By the time i'm dont the car looks dul, with a thin layer of dry polish stuck to the body. Then i take the dry cloth and pilosh the car in a circular motion.

Shan2nu

Please let me know - which polish do you use . What shampoo ?. I am keen to do so .

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini
Guys,
Is a pressure wash reccomended for cars.
How often should one do it?

Infrequent and only if the car is very dirty - once a quarter

Why? - force of spray attacks paint lacquer

ha was hopin this topic wud spring up some time,i do clean my bike myself....hv to say i am inspired by mr.v12 he he!!wash it wax it with a turtle wax carnauba polish and also polish the tyres with a nice tyre polish i bought last month.brings a nice broad smile on my face when i see it sparkle in the sunlight;-) not an easy job by the way takes a lot of time and effort usually do it on weekends.oh yea and my wheel gets dirty quite often too,no chain cover now because of a broad rear tyre.
this is my 3 yr old baby!well its not tht old pulsar it used to be upgraded over a span of 3 yrs.first and fourth pics are before upgradation.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...n/Dscn1244.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...t/DSCN0535.jpg

I have a guy wash my car every morning..
however, every sunday is time for a pressure wash, have a facility right in my apt building :D .. cycle is hosing, shampooing by hand and again hosing.

Once a month I do:
- internal vaccuming
- Dashboard polish
- Body polish
- rubber treatments
- rainy season - windshield/window treatment
- hosing engine bay

Use PennzOil stuff for all the treatments..
After 4 years the car still looks new.