Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2005, 10:37   #1
BANNED

Auto enthusiasts still cleaning their own vehicles?

I hope this thread qualifies to be here.

All auto enthusiasts want to keep their toys in a sparkling condition, and I used to be one of them. Not any more, I love to ride, and wipe the dust off my bike, but when it comes to getting rid of the greasy and oily stuff, I keep postponing.

How many of you clean your own cars and bikes? 8 years back when I was in des (B'lore) I had the luxury/option of kids coming to my door step to sparkle my vehicles. Times were different, I still cleaned my vehicles myself. (Stupid!!). Boy, I miss that option now.

In the US I can get my car detailed at work place(costs me dearly.... $60 - $100). Cleaning cars is not a big deal, you always have car washes. With my bike is a different story. I love to keep my chain lubricated, and it sprays all over my wheel in a few weeks.

Anyways, can we have a survey of how many people love to clean their toys themselves.? Here is a before and after snap of my bike's wheel.

It took me an hour (and a lot of "Fantastik" ) to clean the back wheel alone......... huh!!
-Prasadee

Note from Moderator : Please keep the image size to 640 x 480 or use the thumbnail feature of the image hosting site

Last edited by Dippy : 11th April 2005 at 12:39.
Old 11th April 2005, 10:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

I damp wipe the Vtec everyday. It gets a complete wash every weekend and a polish once a month (which i started recently).

When i'm in Bangalore, the car just gets a damp wipe by the servant.

Shan2nu
Old 11th April 2005, 13:45   #3
Awaiting Email Confirmation

monday mornings is my bikes washing time
i shampoo her every monday
and on no other day

she deserves a wash once a week
Old 11th April 2005, 13:57   #4
BHPian

I wash my cars every sunday. Starts at about 7 in the morning. Me and my brother start off. Take a small break for bfast. Then again the next two cars till lunch. It takes almost 2 hours to finish washing each car. Once a month we apply wax. i put one coat of solid wax, buff it all up and then put wet look/gloss wax. Finally another 30 minutes of good buffing. After three years my GTX is still in good shape without the need for any special treatments.
Old 11th April 2005, 14:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
I damp wipe the Vtec everyday. It gets a complete wash every weekend and a polish once a month (which i started recently).

When i'm in Bangalore, the car just gets a damp wipe by the servant.

Shan2nu
I do it everyday - I mean Wash the Baleno. I was not satisfied with the guy who would car wash - so doing it myself.

What do you mean by Damp wipe and complete Wash . Please let me know , If Polish is good - I heared it was not a good idea to apply polish. Or Can I use a Shampoo ?.

Also - would any company offer their service to Polish and Vaccum Clean the car ?. I would be keen to get this done once a month. I live in Bangalore.

Last edited by puthari : 11th April 2005 at 14:27.
Old 11th April 2005, 14:35   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

My cars are parked in my mill as there is no parking in the building.
Nevertheless i do polish it every month.
But noe plan to get it done from outside - TPC3 for all my cars.
Old 11th April 2005, 14:49   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nevertheless i do polish it every month.
Do you personally polish it, or get it done by someone else? i believe this thread is for people who personally clean their cars.

As for me, I don't get the time to wash my vehicles everyday. We have a guy who does that every morning. This is a necessity in Bombay due to the dust, grime and humidity.

I try to do a thorough cleaning on the weekends with a good vacuuming of the interiors of the car and de-greasing of the bikes, but I'm not really anal about it.
Old 11th April 2005, 14:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do you mean by Damp wipe and complete Wash . Please let me know
For damp wipes, i take a bucket of water and 3 cloths. I first dip one cloth in water and wipe the car, then i take the 2nd one and wipe those areas that are a bit more dirty (wheel arches, mudflaps etc). Then lastly i take a soft dry cloth and wipe off the remaining water, completely.

When i wash the car, i usually use a hose pipe. I wet the car,and while i do that i keep wiping the car with a cloth. Then wipe the car again with car shampoo, the 3rd wipe is again with the hose pipe (to remove the soap off the car), then i use a slightly damp cloth to wipe the car such that it's damp but not wet. Finally comes the drying part, where i use the soft dry cloth.

The polishing usually comes after the complete wash. Once the car is completely dry. I take a damp cloth, apply poilsh to it and wipe the whole car. By the time i'm dont the car looks dull, with a thin layer of dry polish stuck to the body. Then i take the dry cloth and polish the car in a circular motion.

When i'm done, the car looks like it's come right out of the showroom.
I can wipe the car as many as 6 times on a wash and poilsh schedule. It's hard work but, it pays when you see your car shining away to glory.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 11th April 2005 at 17:48.
Old 11th April 2005, 14:55   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by puthari
Also - would any company offer their service to Polish and Vaccum Clean the car ?. I would be keen to get this done once a month. I live in Bangalore.
I recommned Car'r'us on Mission road - they use Autoglym stuff and have a professional set up.
Old 11th April 2005, 14:58   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,
Is a pressure wash reccomended for cars.
How often should one do it?
Old 11th April 2005, 15:10   #11
BHPian

In US I do pressure wash only; Used to cost me 4 $ for 3 mins. sequence
high pressure water wash
high pressure soap wash
high pressure water wash
rinse
tyres and engine soap
rinse
wax
low rinse
everything in 4 minutes
clean with towel and PAT DRY
Old 11th April 2005, 15:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu

I take a damp cloth, apply poilsh to it and wipe the whole car. By the time i'm dont the car looks dul, with a thin layer of dry polish stuck to the body. Then i take the dry cloth and pilosh the car in a circular motion.

Shan2nu

Please let me know - which polish do you use . What shampoo ?. I am keen to do so .
Old 11th April 2005, 15:54   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Guys,
Is a pressure wash reccomended for cars.
How often should one do it?
Infrequent and only if the car is very dirty - once a quarter

Why? - force of spray attacks paint lacquer
Old 11th April 2005, 16:31   #14
BHPian

ha was hopin this topic wud spring up some time,i do clean my bike myself....hv to say i am inspired by mr.v12 he he!!wash it wax it with a turtle wax carnauba polish and also polish the tyres with a nice tyre polish i bought last month.brings a nice broad smile on my face when i see it sparkle in the sunlight;-) not an easy job by the way takes a lot of time and effort usually do it on weekends.oh yea and my wheel gets dirty quite often too,no chain cover now because of a broad rear tyre.
this is my 3 yr old baby!well its not tht old pulsar it used to be upgraded over a span of 3 yrs.first and fourth pics are before upgradation.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...n/Dscn1244.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...t/DSCN0535.jpg
Old 11th April 2005, 16:33   #15
BHPian

I have a guy wash my car every morning..
however, every sunday is time for a pressure wash, have a facility right in my apt building .. cycle is hosing, shampooing by hand and again hosing.

Once a month I do:
- internal vaccuming
- Dashboard polish
- Body polish
- rubber treatments
- rainy season - windshield/window treatment
- hosing engine bay

Use PennzOil stuff for all the treatments..
After 4 years the car still looks new.

Most Viewed