Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2016, 00:12   #3016
BHPian

Re: The Giveaway Thread: Post up anything you want to give away FREE to a fellow BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeaux View Post
My 14 years old Opel Astra is a looking for an enthusiast who loves to collect old cars and keeps them in shape or someone who would like to restore this beast to its original glory and keep it that way.

I hope someone finds their next love in this car and save this from getting reduced to ashes.
Very commendable decision. Astra has been my favorite car since childhood days. I would like to pick it up, but will need to get some permissions in the first place. I hope you would be willing to give it away to a Hyderabadi.

BTW Where do you stay ?
Old 19th July 2016, 00:46   #3017
BHPian

Re: The Giveaway Thread: Post up anything you want to give away FREE to a fellow BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Whoa! thats really generous of you to put it up here!

I hope someone contacts you to bring it back to its glory days.

If that doesn't happen in a week, I'll get in touch!

Edit : Ofcourse not asking to reserve it though, if you find a passionate member, I'll be glad it found a caring home.
Thank you. I see threads related to people restoring really old cars here. So, I thought why not hand it over to someone who can use it as a learning project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
A free Opel Astra! Wow, I hope this turns into one of those great little DIY projects that brings the car back to full glory (seems quite possible in this case!).
It's very much possible. Electrical issues most probably. I don't know cars much and I don't have close friends who are into this business/domain. All my connections know only computers which means they are good for nothing in the real world. And that includes me also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
Sir, May I have this Opel?
Thank you for your interest Vinay. You are number 3 in the queue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
Very commendable decision. Astra has been my favorite car since childhood days. I would like to pick it up, but will need to get some permissions in the first place. I hope you would be willing to give it away to a Hyderabadi.

BTW Where do you stay ?
Thanks Archer. I don't mind giving it to anyone who is interested in restoring this or even using it as a learning project. I stay in Gachibowli. You are number 4 in the queue. Our customer care execute will get back to you soon, till then you can listen to some really irritating music
bordeaux is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 09:02   #3018

Hello, Me and a friend are quite interested in restoring the car and would like to take a look at it. We are based out of Hyderabad and can visit anytime. Could you please provide me with your contact details?
Old 19th July 2016, 14:03   #3019
BHPian

That is a great gesture to help the car get back and running and even a greater one when you are ready to let go of it for nothing.
You are something man.

Anyways after owning an Opel astra for good 3 yrs from 2005 till 2008 indeed a well maintained secondhand from Coimbatore I would not dare lay my hands restoring this amazing car.
It served us well, rock solid on the highway, great power and comfortable seats.
Sad part: Parts were very difficult to get. Cost of maintain the car went above the cost for what it was bought. Became very unreliable at hardly 80k on the odo, gave terrible single digit mileage on petrol. Every month it used to spend few days at the mechanic shop with some new mechanical failure.

Finally we gave it away for < 1 lakh in 2008
Hope whom ever is taking the responsibility is aware and has the time, money and heart for it. All the best folks. Let the Astra roar back to life.
Old 19th July 2016, 14:27   #3020
BHPian

I understand that 'giving away' means expecting nothing in return. But is there anyway some public thanks(apart from the thanks button)/rating can be added to the givers by the recipients?
Old 19th July 2016, 23:42   #3021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilhm View Post
Hello, Me and a friend are quite interested in restoring the car and would like to take a look at it. We are based out of Hyderabad and can visit anytime. Could you please provide me with your contact details?
Thanks a lot Nikhil. A lot of people have shown interest in the car and I am keeping things first come first serve here.

Current status is:

User via PM: 1
vinay kamath: 2
21Archer84: 3
nikhilm: 4
User via PM : 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
That is a great gesture to help the car get back and running and even a greater one when you are ready to let go of it for nothing.
You are something man.
Thank you Sir.

Quote:
Anyways after owning an Opel astra for good 3 yrs from 2005 till 2008 indeed a well maintained secondhand from Coimbatore I would not dare lay my hands restoring this amazing car.
It served us well, rock solid on the highway, great power and comfortable seats.
Sad part: Parts were very difficult to get. Cost of maintain the car went above the cost for what it was bought. Became very unreliable at hardly 80k on the odo, gave terrible single digit mileage on petrol. Every month it used to spend few days at the mechanic shop with some new mechanical failure.
Almost same experience. When you know that you are inside a metal enclosure, you just can't help but laugh at the Japanese/Korean plastics all around. But then you also know that they will be doing the same when you are stranded a few kilometers down the road

Quote:
Finally we gave it away for < 1 lakh in 2008
Hope whom ever is taking the responsibility is aware and has the time, money and heart for it. All the best folks. Let the Astra roar back to life.
I had almost same feelings when it was still running. But the main thought that kept me from selling it was, "I have a metal enclosure which looks lovely, sounds like a sports car and can ferry five people around with moderate reliability. No point in selling it for 50-60K."

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
I understand that 'giving away' means expecting nothing in return. But is there anyway some public thanks(apart from the thanks button)/rating can be added to the givers by the recipients?
Thank you for that precious gesture Sir.
bordeaux is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 10:41   #3022
CGB
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,
I have Duke 390 seats and mirrors. Both are in good condition. Have mirrors for both sides. Front and rear seat are available, I am giving them for free. Anyone interested, Please PM me.
Old 20th July 2016, 10:52   #3023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Hi, I wish to give away my bench press, barbell rods, free weights, floor mat, dumbell rods. I live in Pitampura, New Delhi. Posting some pictures for reference.
Hi,

Are these still available?

Nitin
Old 20th July 2016, 16:30   #3024
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Nikhil. A lot of people have shown interest in the car and I am keeping things first come first serve here.
Buddy, You can hand it over to Nikhil, as he's available in the city and ready to take a look. Though I'm interested, sad to say that there are a lot of strings attached to get approvals and add to that my occasional travel to Hyd.
Old 21st July 2016, 21:49   #3025
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
I have a few items to give away. Only people who genuinely have a requirement only respond please.
Was lucky enough to grab these manuals which were listed in this thread more than 6 years ago.

The Giveaway Thread: Post up anything you want to give away FREE to a fellow BHPian-img20160721wa0002.jpeg

Thanks Ankit
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 09:55   #3026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
Hello Bhpians,
I have Duke 390 seats and mirrors. Both are in good condition. Have mirrors for both sides. Front and rear seat are available, I am giving them for free. Anyone interested, Please PM me.
Is it still available. I would like to have them. Will PM.
Old 24th July 2016, 10:20   #3027
BHPian

Quote:
My 14 years old Opel Astra is a looking for an enthusiast who loves to collect old cars and keeps them in shape or someone who would like to restore this beast to its original glory and keep it that way.
Is the car still available. I would like to lay hands on such a wonderful machine. I have done restoration of a Maruti 800. It is documented here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...00-budget.html

I also restored a flood damaged Hyundai Getz. It is documented here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ndai-getz.html

I made a video series on how to restore Maruti 800. I would love to make a video series on restoration of a car that is close to modern ones. For maruti, there were no fake wooden panels or covering over A-pillar etc and hence restoring it was a piece of cake. This on the other hand would be far more challenging. With the injector cleaning, ECU tuning

Is the car still with you?

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the full message when responding

Last edited by ampere : 24th July 2016 at 10:52. Reason: Quoted content reduced
Old 24th July 2016, 11:04   #3028
BHPian

I have a water pump for an Ikon 1.6 Zxi. It is sealed in airtight ziplock. Got it 3 years ago but never installed it. Location: Indirapuram GZB.
Old 24th July 2016, 13:09   #3029
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
I have a water pump for an Ikon 1.6 Zxi. It is sealed in airtight ziplock. Got it 3 years ago but never installed it. Location: Indirapuram GZB.
If this is shared with the fiesta, dibs please
Old 25th July 2016, 09:52   #3030
BHPian

HP deskjet 1010 printer, refilling ink bottles of cyan, magenta yellow colours and the syringes available. Pickup only, from SAP labs Whitefield or Horamavu Bangalore. I am giving it off because i don't have the patience to fill cartridges and buying a laser one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks