Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2009, 13:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Guys , I am driving to Kanyakumari from Bangalore tonight over the long weekend and would like to add Thiruananthpuram as it is just 90 KM , I was there last in 1997.

So need a quick help ,

Q 1. can some one please post phone numbers of the hotels suggested on this thread. Hotel Horizon @ Thampanoor near railway station
Arya Nivas@Thampanoor
Hotel Safa International@ thampanoor
Hotel Keerthi @thampanoo
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Q.2. Also I have fond memories of Varkela , I remember it was around 53 KM but dont remember in which direction ? Is it somewhere mid way between Kanyakumari - Trivendrum , Would it be safe option to take night halt somehwere in Varkela with wife and 3 yr old kid or is it still Phirangi only place ?

Q3 : I will take NH7 from Bangalore to Kanyakumari ?
How and where to join NH7 from Trivendrum or What is the fastest and easist way from Trivendrum to Bangalore ?

Sorry for short notice but this is a last minute plan
A1 Do not have the details of the hotels in your query but I stayed at the South Park earlier this year it is part of the Fortune chain by welcomgroup
Fortune Hotel The South Park, Trivandrum
M. G. Road, Palayam
Trivandrum - 695034
Tel: 0471-2333333
Fax: 0471-2331861
e-mail: southpark@fortunehotels.in
current tariff from web site for 2 adults + 1 child is Rs. 4500/- all inclusive

A2. Varkala is 53 kms beyond TVM towards Quilon/Cochin

Quiet place, Beautiful 2000 year old Shri Vishnuji Temple. The diety is mesmerising. We stayed at the Taj there for a week. The area on top of the cliff looked like a phirangi place but there are quite a few hotels in the village area and one was right on the beach.

The Taj has some all inclusive packages too. Another option would be to stay at the Ginger in Techno park at TVM and do Varkala during the day. In fact the IT park puts you equidistant between Covalam and Varkala. There is another beach near the airport which seemed less crowded than Covalam and better suited to spend a quiet evening. If I recall correctly it had a park with rides/swings etc for children. Here is the address
Ginger Thiruvananthapuram
Electronics Technology Park (Technopark)
Technopark Campus
Next to Technopark Club House
Kazakuttom,Thiruvananthapuram Taluka
Thiruvananthapuram -695 581
Phone: +91-471-666 3333
Fax: +91-471-666 3366
Email: reservations.trivandrum@gingerhotels.com

Tariff should be inside of 2000 for double room, inclusive of taxes.

A3 Sorry No idea on TVM - BLR road directions.

However regarding Kanyakumari in case you are looking for a hotel there, I would strongly recommend The Sea View for
1. Clean rooms and Toilets.
2. If you get a 3rd or 4th floor room on the Back side you have sunrise views from your room windows
3. Attached Restaurant frequented by the locals = good food.
4. Straight forward people managed by a very nice young lady owner Ms. Vijayalaxmi and they stick to what they have committed even verbally over phone.

Current tariff for the rooms as follows from their web site, infact they are the same as in April when we went.
A/C Ex Suite Room:Rs 4250+12.5%LT
Deluxe :Rs 3550+12.5%LT & standard 2950 + LT
Extra Mattress/Person :Rs 750/-nett
You can get a 15 - 20% discount over the phone before you go in.
Hotel Sea View
Ms. Vijayalaxmi 98438-92200
PH-04652-247841(5lines)

On the way from KK to TVM if you are the religious types visit the Suchindram Temple, very famous Hanumanji temple and just a KM's detour from the NH, just as you exit KK limits.

Nearly 25 kms. before TVM viisit the Padmanabha Palace. It is made entirely of wood without a single nail anywhere. It closes at 3 p.m. and getting across Nagarcoil will be a major drag on your time. Infact the entire stretch from KK to TVM is crowded with average speed of 35~40 KMPH.

I hope you find the above use-full, have a safe and fun trip.

Disclaimer : I am not connected to the travel industry just pulled out old mails and voila.

Last edited by khoj : 24th December 2009 at 13:58.
Old 24th December 2009, 14:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Enjoy your trip. PM if you want my number for quick queries when you reach here.
Thanks JK sent you a PM , I stayed in TVM for some 2 months but it was more then a decade back .

What is travel time from TVM to varkela during the day ?

I have finalised following return route

Trivendrum - > Nedumangad -> Palode -> Tenmala -> Aryakavu-> Shenkottai -> rajapalyam -> Thirumanglam -> Madurai ( NH7) -> Selam -> Krishnagiri -> Hosur - > Bangalore.
Old 24th December 2009, 14:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Thanks JK sent you a PM , I stayed in TVM for some 2 months but it was more then a decade back .

What is travel time from TVM to varkela during the day ?

I have finalised following return route

Trivendrum - > Nedumangad -> Palode -> Tenmala -> Aryakavu-> Shenkottai -> rajapalyam -> Thirumanglam -> Madurai ( NH7) -> Selam -> Krishnagiri -> Hosur - > Bangalore.
One hour fifteen min should do at max.

Check the return route. Guess most people take the Coc-Palghat one.
Old 28th December 2009, 11:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
One hour fifteen min should do at max.

Check the return route. Guess most people take the Coc-Palghat one.
Did this jorney yesterday

Bangalore -> Kanyakmari ( NH7)and night stay in Kanyakmari. Started at 5:30 from home and reached at 5:00 , with 3-4 breaks including 2 long ones 1 hour each for breakfast and Lunch , Total 690 KM. Weather was not kind on us clouds marred both sunset on 25th and sunrise on 26th

Next day started from Kanyakmari at 2:30PM visited Suchindram temple and started for Trivendrm at 3:45 Kanyakmari -> Trivendrm ( NH47) is very crowded and passing through towns with hour long traffic jam at one place for an hour and a procession for 30 min at another. ,Decided to stay at Kovalam instead of going to varkela and reached Kovlam at 6:15 PM found an AC suit in hotel next to Eves beach ( Sri Vishakh) just for 2100 Rs.

return route

Total time 13 hours with 2 tea/snacks break of 30 mts each and dinner at A2B krishnagiri which took 1 hour so total 11 hours of drive time.

The real bottleneck started 100 km before Bangalore with whole of Bangalore returning after long weekend resulting in bumper to bumper traffic from Krishnagiri to Electonics city this stretch of 100 Kms alone took more then 2 hours.

Excellent Hill route from Nedumangad to Tenkasi drove around 70 - 80 all the way and saw Film star Chiranjivi driving a Bolero from Ponmudi , when our vehicles came face to face with no place on either side to go.

NH208 from Tenkasi to Thirumangal is again very good and less traffic so 100 -120 Kmph all the way.Thirumangal to Salem my wife took over and pushed the beast to max, I took a nap and when woke up saw 160 mark on speedo must be 156 in actual , traffic made way seeing a mad women on wheels and I had to drill down some sense to her to bring to a saner 120.
This is the fastest we have ever driven

Last edited by amitk26 : 28th December 2009 at 12:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks