Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2019, 10:31   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: Are you diabetic?

Please watch this video!!

It's brilliantly explained, doctor-proven, and S-I-M-P-L-E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I have been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about 8 Months ago.
Old 16th April 2019, 12:23   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Please watch this video!!

It's brilliantly explained, doctor-proven, and S-I-M-P-L-E.
Very well explained. I have a question, Diabetes usually comes with a host of other issues, Like high Cholesterol. I am at borderline high, would introducing fat worsen the situation?

I know there are good fat and bad fat, but consumption of more fat would run a risk of heart conditions by increasing cholesterol.

The status quo is maintained because switching to fat(good fat) is not that easy.

Coconut flour is a major staple of cows and goats in Kerala

But I get the point. this helps!

Pramod

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th May 2019 at 15:30. Reason: Removing video from quote :)
Old 9th May 2019, 15:32   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I have a question, Diabetes usually comes with a host of other issues, Like high Cholesterol. I am at borderline high, would introducing fat worsen the situation?
I honestly don't know - as I am far from knowledgeable on this subject.

I had just come across this video, and it seemed easy + made sense + was backed with scientific facts & testing, so thought it was worth a share here.
Old 26th July 2020, 13:48   #139
BHPian

Recently my mom was diagnosed with Diabetes Type2.
Her sugar levels were quite high (400+) but with very good diet control in the last 2 months plus medicines her sugar levels are now under control (100-150 mg/DL).
We are south indian vegetarians. If I were to travel (post-corona, hopefully) with her, what kind of food options does she have on the highways of south india?
Old 27th July 2020, 00:01   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
We are south indian vegetarians. If I were to travel (post-corona, hopefully) with her, what kind of food options does she have on the highways of south india?
Pretty much a non-issue. My dad has type 2 diabetes too and it's never an issue when eating out on highways.

Your mother simply has to avoid sweets/desserts etc. Check before ordering coffee/tea that you can get the sugarless equivalent. In my experience, most restaurants are able to accommodate such a request.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 09:32   #141
BHPian

Dear All, does anyone has an experience with Steel Cut Oats ? How have been the Glucose readings before / after having this ? As per a lot of online articles, steel cut oats are a healthy breakfast for people with diabetes. I am contemplating adding this to the breakfast.

For reference check these links:
https://www.webmd.com/diet/health-be...eel-cut-oats#1
https://www.everydayhealth.com/type-...pe-2-diabetes/
Old 7th May 2021, 11:53   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Recently my mom was diagnosed with Diabetes Type2.
.... If I were to travel (post-corona, hopefully) with her, what kind of food options does she have on the highways of south india?
At home or on the go, the typical approach would be to avoid carbohydrates - especially rice. Also sugar, and sweets. But when travelling, this becomes a bit difficult. At such times, fruits can help. Can take lesser food in the eateries and supplement with fruits.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 13:27   #143
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
At home or on the go, the typical approach would be to avoid carbohydrates - especially rice. Also sugar, and sweets. But when travelling, this becomes a bit difficult. At such times, fruits can help. Can take lesser food in the eateries and supplement with fruits.
Fruits also will spike blood sugar levels due to fructose, alternative is to have more veggies. Eg . Cucumbers, tomatoes, onions,etc make a salad and garnish with cheese. It’s very simple and quick to prepare.

Diabetes can be controlled and even cured. It’s mainly a lifestyle issue of giving up carbs and sugar. The keto diet and intermittent fasting works wonders. Google Dr. Berg and check out his videos on you tube. I have personally followed this diet and can vouch that it works.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 17:45   #144
BHPian

While what all she mentioned seems true, one question remains unanswered. There is this growing attraction to millets being better compared to rice/ wheat. Typically two points get mentioned

1. Lower carbs and glycemic index

2. release of energy slowly rather than in a burst compared to rice/ wheat.

I am not sure about other aspects, but have to agree with second observations. Jowar (maize), Bajra (pearl millet) seem to keep me full for longer time.

There is also this hearsay about Millets being the primary grains used in southern portion of India compared and rice came later. Diabetes was also brought by more rice consumption. Any observations/ experiences?
Old 7th May 2021, 17:53   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
There is also this hearsay about Millets being the primary grains used in southern portion of India compared and rice came later. Diabetes was also brought by more rice consumption. Any observations/ experiences?
Traditionally, millets were the primary diet. Wheat was still used, but white rice was less. Even other varieties of rice (eg: red rice) have a better GI than white rice.

It is only in the past 4-5 decades that the switch away from millets happened. % of diabetics also looks to have increased in this time.

Btw, it's not just the glycemic index, but also the glycemic load that needs to be considered.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 18:06   #146
BHPian

My HbA1c levels went up to 180mg/dl about 7 or 8 years ago. I went on a diet with no rice or bread and it dropped to 120 last year and then to 100. Since then it has stayed at 100 mg/dl. I check it every 3 months.

I dont eat rice everyday like I used to. I have never liked sweet foods so that was not a problem. I have just replaced rice with vegetables.

I eat only between 12 noon and 6 PM. So I go without food for 20 hours. If I work before 12 I might have 2 slices of hard Swedish bread and cheese before going to work. The next and only food will be after I finish work at about 4 PM.

If I feel hungry after 6, I take a tablespoon of chia seeds in water.
Indian2003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 18:30   #147
BHPian

Two meals a day instead of three seems actually better. I recall our previous generation had less (or no) breakfast, two major meals a day and some munching in between.
sreenivass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 19:10   #148
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Millets are also carbs and will result in blood sugar spiking. Limited consumption is advised. The body doesn’t actually need large quantities to function. Over years ones body gets conditioned to burning carbs as primary sources of fuel.

It’s matter of time to get the body accustomed to running on alternate sources, once that is achieved sugar, cholesterol all falls into place. Taking medications to reduce sugar levels, cholesterol etc is the worst one can do and causes a lot of long term damages. It’s much easier to control levels through ones diet and follow a natural correction of course.
Old 12th May 2021, 16:51   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Two meals a day instead of three seems actually better. I recall our previous generation had less (or no) breakfast, two major meals a day and some munching in between.
I used to spend my school holidays at grandparent's place. Typical day, food-wise was: (excludes milk/buttermilk/tea).

8:00 porridge made of coarsely ground Jowar (this mixed with milk)
11:00: lunch - jowar roti
5:00 pm: some snacks
8:00 dinner. Jowar roti or chappati. Foxtail millet rice most of the time. Sometimes white rice.

Buttermilk was fresh each day, and the butter - a fixed accompaniment with food.

Would happily do this today, too. And when made on a wood-fire stove, the curry, dal, rasam - yummmy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Millets are also carbs and will result in blood sugar spiking. .
End of the day, all food gets converted. What we need to look out is - the glycemic load and glycemic index. This is where millets are better. Apart from the micronutrients.

Last edited by condor : 12th May 2021 at 16:54.
Old 12th May 2021, 17:14   #150
BHPian

Hi ,

Please watch this link by Dr.Jagannath Dixit who advocates this 2 meal a day which is also similar to IF of 16:8 hours plan.

It really works wonders and a very simple lifestyle adaptation to over anybody especially over 40 years of age.

No Restriction in what to eat, but keep a vigil on when to eat !!
Rest of the details discussed by our friends in Fat to Fit thread on the forum.

Hope it helps.

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks