Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 23:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

What I meant by "don't discuss in public" is that, the moment you mention it (for example, while refusing sweets offered by his family) the other person says he knows of a cure and will insist that you try it. And normally they get offended when you say you are sick and tired of such suggestions.
Otherwise, when I go for walks I carry a card in my pocket declaring that I am diabetic and it has my emergency numbers. I have this card on the dashboard of my car as well.
I am not embarrassed by my disease. I am irritated by people's inclination to offer a solution when none has been sought. And curiously enough each person's solution seems to be a different one.
Old 11th December 2008, 23:16   #17
ECM
BHPian

You are prone to diabetes because of born in a family with diabetic patients,reduce your weight and adopst a strict diet plan.
Quote:
Does overweight responsible for diabetes ? At the age of 22, I am overweight by around 20 kg, weighing more than 90 kgs. I think that its just the natural body that is cause of this and not overweight. Am I right ?
Old 11th December 2008, 23:26   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I think that with proper care, diabetes is not at all even a disease.
Diabetes is not classified as a disease. it is classified as a medical condition.

Quote:
My mother is diabetic around 8 years now and my paternal grandmother is diabetic for more than 10 years. Above is just my observation.
There is a genetic tendency for diabetes.

Quote:
Can you explain Tingling sensation of extremities ? Tingling sensation in, lets say toe ?
It's like little pins and needles being poked into your toe. Some patients experience a burning sensation.

Quote:
My mother had some issue with right or left foot, but it was not needed to be cut off, and the doctor said it was miracle.
And can you give out more information about Diabetic foot ?
Most of the diabetics have a a decreased sensation and our feet in general have least sensation cause they are made up of most dead cells in the body since they are a weight bearing part... let's say similar to hoofs.. although hoof is made entirely of dead tissue, humans still have more blood supply and live tissue as well. Now most commonly footwear causes all of us to get shoe bites. In diabetics sometimes this goes un-noticed and may form an ulcer. This ulcer if un-noticed or untreated will lead to gangrene. Most of the time these ulcers respond very poorly to therapy and this non-healing condition is called a diabetic foot.
Please note i have tried to use as layman's terms as possible and i hope you understood.

Quote:
Does overweight responsible for diabetes ? At the age of 22, I am overweight by around 20 kg, weighing more than 90 kgs. I think that its just the natural body that is cause of this and not overweight. Am I right ?
Not always but it is a risk factor. i don't think you should worry, but it's always good to control your weight and food intake or atleast walk for an hour a day.
Old 11th December 2008, 23:30   #19
ECM
BHPian

I agree
Quote:
And curiously enough each person's solution seems to be a different one.
Why this happens example for diabetic patients blood glucose level?Ex.if I am taking insulin(which I don't)my TDD can be say around 30 units,other person takes 40 units similar to of my age and weight..this is why our doctor tells that Insulin need is different in all patients but if one can calculate carb ratio and I.S.F mentioned in my first post we get the answer of this!Honestly very few good doctors adopt a practice to teach carb count to their patients in India,very few and I underline it.I presonally know 3 top docs of Mumbai,they know me-know my whole family,one of them is personal doc for Wasim Akram for your info,if one wants to control his-her sugar there is no option to count carbs and take dose as per the sheet attached earlier.
Now in each year Bombay JDF(juveline diabetes foundation)arrange a camp in Lonawala in the last week of December,around 400-500 children suffering from Diabetes come to attend this camp,those who wish can go and see these beautiful wonder of God,from the face no one of you will belive that these small wonders are taking 3-4 shots per day by themselves.Very young childrent I have seen,one Sikh family who attended one Mumbai JDF camp in June-2008 had 3 months old son who is T1 and taking insulin on daily basis.
Last request donate to JDF camps running in your city or atleast sponsor one child for his insulin needs,there are many many children whose parents are not affording this insulin expense which cost comes around 2000 to 5000 per month depending which insulin one takes,there is no punya bigger than helping such devine soul known as Juvenile diabetes patients.
Those who live in Mumbai should go to Lonawala on Dec.26-28th and see how wonderful these small wonders are and how nicely they have accepted this disease in their life.

Last edited by ECM : 11th December 2008 at 23:33.
Old 12th December 2008, 01:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
1) You are prone to diabetes because of born in a family with diabetic patients,reduce your weight and adopst a strict diet plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
1) There is a genetic tendency for diabetes.

2) It's like little pins and needles being poked into your toe. Some patients experience a burning sensation.

3) Most of the diabetics have a a decreased sensation and our feet in general have least sensation cause they are made up of most dead cells in the body since they are a weight bearing part... ..

1) Not always but it is a risk factor. i don't think you should worry, but it's always good to control your weight and food intake or atleast walk for an hour a day

1) This weight issue really worries me. My problems are many ranging from no fixed time for food, thanks to college administration that can do Indian Politicians proud for their efficiency, to hereditary overweight problem. My dad is usually hovering around 100-102 kg mark. My mom is also overweight. I dont know any course of action.
Around a couple of years ago, I did around 600 pushups a day, and now daily I walk for one hour but I am not able to do heavy exercise.

Is heavy exercise like push ups required ?

2) I experience this in winter when my toes are exposed to cold wave for long. Is this a symptom ?

3) My mother had pain in toes. And it was traced to be diabities problem after we were running for around 3 months before the real problem was known. But now its OK.

A few more questions:

a) I heard that high blood pressure can lead to diabeties. Is this true ?
I am a very short tempered person and often get angry i.e. blood pressure rises often.

b) Does Auyervedic medicine help. We are sticking to Alopahty for my mom.

c) Does meditation help to control or prevent this problem ?
Old 12th December 2008, 08:22   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Is heavy exercise like push ups required ?
NO. Walking is fine.

Quote:
This weight issue really worries me.
I experience this in winter when my toes are exposed to cold wave for long. Is this a symptom ?
These are not only diabetes symptoms. You may have hypothyroidism. Get your T3/T4/TSH levels checked at a good lab.

Quote:
I heard that high blood pressure can lead to diabeties. Is this true ?
I am a very short tempered person and often get angry i.e. blood pressure rises often.
NO

Quote:
b) Does Auyervedic medicine help. We are sticking to Alopahty for my mom.
I'm a very allopathy oriented person and will say NO! Others may differ.

Quote:
Does meditation help to control or prevent this problem ?
Nothing to prevent. Lot's of medicines to control once diagnosed with diabetes.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 12th December 2008 at 08:23.
Old 12th December 2008, 08:32   #22
ECM
BHPian

Friends
Be brave and get your BS done in this weekend,post your readings here.Nothing to worry or hide anything,diabetes is such a disorder that when 85-90%beta cells destroyed in case of type-1 OR blood sugar level after 2 hr meal known as PPBS shoots up to 180-200 Type 2 patients get visible and notable symtoms of diabetes so listen to me and I want all members to get check their BS.
Old 12th December 2008, 08:53   #23
ECM
BHPian

This message is for those who have very young children in their family of an age around 1 year or less.
Mother's milk is the best for your children but one day it dries out,do NOT give cow's milk at this point of time.Some studies say that Cow Milk which has one specific protein works as catalyst in T1 diabetes and same protein found in T1 patients lateron.
One of free to search google for this.
Old 12th December 2008, 10:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
1) NO. Walking is fine.

2)These are not only diabetes symptoms. You may have hypothyroidism. Get your T3/T4/TSH levels checked at a good lab.

3)I'm a very allopathy oriented person and will say NO! Others may differ.

4) Nothing to prevent. Lot's of medicines to control once diagnosed with diabetes.
1) Thanks, I actually did around 150 yesterday night. But will now walk irrespective of exams or studies. Health is more important.

2) You mean both, diabetes and thyroid problem. I searched on internet about hypothyroidism and read that it is insufficient supply of something. Hypothyroidism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here I also read the other symptoms, but none of them are found in me. I am actually reducing at around 1 kg a month through walks and diet control along with some occasional heavy exercise. Sometimes,this varies and I may gain weight, but its OK, i feel. I am quite resistant to cold overall, but only here I find a problem.

3) Yes we are continuing with Allopathy.

4) So, one has to take care and about this right. I must confess that once around 5-6 months back I was 100kg and right now I am 90kg. I could reduce at 3kg per month, but that was brought down to 1 kg per month. I think that for me around 75-78 kg is fine, and so I have atleast 12 kg to go.

@ECM : Nice thread with excellent inputs from you and Tejas.
Rating this thread as 5 star.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 12th December 2008 at 10:49.
Old 12th December 2008, 10:58   #25
ECM
BHPian

Quote:
@ECM : Nice thread with excellent inputs from you and Tejas.
Rating this thread as 5 star.
Thanks Buddy,all yours.Tejas is so kind that he contacted me in private and offered his valued services for diabetic camp,this is called real brotherhood.Tejas I hope you don't mind this.

A real story which has been read over 0.1 million times on net!

Or may be more than that.
Title:-"62 Years Of Type 1 Diabetes"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 62 Years of Type 1 Diabetes FINAL.pdf (614.0 KB, 608 views)

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th December 2008 at 13:09. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 12th December 2008, 11:53   #26
BHPian

Cure for foot corn

My brother had developed a foot corn a couple of months back and had it removed surgically after going through unbearable pain.

The surgical wound took almost a month to heal - he is a diabetic ( random : 220 - 250 )

The worst - a new corn has just emerged very close to the old wound making him immovable / unable to drive despite a 12 hour dose of voveran SR.

Please suggest any alternative remedy ( ayurvedic / homeopathy / unani / herbal - apart from a surgery again. Would appreciate any feed back to have this miserable pain cured.

Thank you and apologise if this is OT !

Regards,
Rao
Old 12th December 2008, 12:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
- don't take medical advice from people who have not studied at least MBBS.
Sudipto sir, I have saved ourselves a lot of pain by not listening even to MBBS docs many times. It takes a lot more than 6 yrs study to be able to understand and heal others.

No offence to doctors here though. All I mean is sometimes the physicians I have seen lacked practicality and sensitivity in their prescription. not to mention coming back after 2 years and advising totally opposite based on "recent studies".
Old 12th December 2008, 13:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Vivek I appreciate your point about the low credibility level of many of our doctors. There are very genuine reasons for most of us to distrust them. Although we ourselves have given them demi-god status in the society.
But what is the answer? Do we shun all qualified doctors and go to quacks and village ojhas?
As far as I am concerned I take medical advice only from qualified allopathic doctors. But I use a safety mechanism in choosing my doctor. The doctors I go to are recommended by a few of my childhood friends who are doctors themselves and know who is a racketeer and who is not. I also avoid the so called celebrity doctors like plague.
Plus - once I go to a doctor I never question him to find out what's going on and stick to whatever he says. That is, I completely surrender to him.
I fully understand that a human being can make a genuine mistake. I also understand that medical science is not complete and not one hundred per cent perfect.
But once again I agree with you that there are many cheats among doctors. But that doesn't make all of them bad.
Old 12th December 2008, 13:27   #29
ECM
BHPian

Never aplologise as it is NOT an offtopic roamingaro,all topic related to Diabetes can be discussed here without any second thought,more we discuss more we find solutions and make our lives easy to live.
Quote:
The surgical wound took almost a month to heal - he is a diabetic ( random : 220 - 250 )
random 220-250 means he is shooting near 340+after his meal,what is his age and which medicine he takes?
Oh Voveran!!This pain killer has a major side effect which ends in a renal failure,becareful brother.

Last edited by ECM : 12th December 2008 at 13:29. Reason: Added one line on Voveran.
Old 12th December 2008, 14:50   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
random 220-250 means he is shooting near 340+after his meal,what is his age and which medicine he takes?
Oh Voveran!!This pain killer has a major side effect which ends in a renal failure,becareful brother.
Yes ECM, the sugar level touches 320 post lunch.

Well. he's 44 now and is on Melmet SR 1000mg ( 1-0-1), Euglucon 5mg ( 2-0-2 ) and Ecosprin 75mg ( 0-0-1 ) apart from multivitamins.

Yes, Voveran SR is the only drug that gives him slight relief from the pain. others cause either drowsiness or no relief !

work load during year-end means no escape !! He just doesn't want to undergo another surgery.

Regards,
Rao
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks