Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2009, 11:03   #46
BANNED

HI ECM,

Excellent thread. I am Type II Diabetic since the past 7 years and would love to contribute in terms of advice as needed. Diabetes nowadays is more often caused due to lifestyles and growing stress in youngsters nowadays.

Viper
Old 6th February 2009, 11:15   #47
ECM
BHPian

My dear Viper
So nice of you to be here,it needs courage,concentration and calmness to control this maha upadravi disease and a senior like you can help me to create awareness on diabetes,my motto is a small one and in one line"open up",I attend many diabetic camps and one thing I find commmon in all of them is no one talks of their disease,they rather ask how much is your BS and what you did to control it-till this date no one ever stood up and ask experts how to control his/her blood sugar..haha.Discussion helps a lot when you are diabetic so let's discuss.
I requested members to check their BS in this thread,hope people will take this in a right spirit and post their readings,recent senario is very much helping to spread this system disorder,let's not neglect it and fight against it.
BTW my fasting today was 120mg.
Old 6th February 2009, 12:13   #48
BHPian

Diabetic Medication

Hi ECM,

Very thoughtful of you to start this informative thread on Diabetes.

I am also a Type 2 Diabetic (like Jiggy) and I would just like to contribute my bit by enlightening others for the medication I am taking.
My Diabetic condition was first diagnosed in 1995 after which I was put on glyciphage tablet once a day, the dose for which was increased subsequently with other tablets added to control the increase in blood sugar as the days passed. By 2001 the sugar readings were beyond control by mere tablets and I was advised to take one dose of insulin daily before lunch. Everyone, including Doctors whom I would spoke to, would advise me to control my diet but as any Diabetic would agree, Diet control was and is very difficult when a person is on insulin. Over the years in association with frequent urination, heavy perspiration, hunger pangs, and excessive thirst, the sugar levels kept increasing, although I would try some walking in the evenings and temporary restrictions on diet. No matter what I did to help myself, with age, the sugars would keep rising and every now and then at the routine check ups and follow ups, Diabetologists kept increasing my Insulin frantically with tablets to support the effective breaking down of sugars into energy.

Today at the age of 47, I am on Insulin 4 times a day:
Before Breakfast: 25 units of Huminsulin R (R-regular)
Before Lunch: 25 units of Huminsulin R (R- regular)
Before Dinner: 40 Units of Huminsulin 30/70 + 2 tablets Gluformin XL 1000
Before going to bed around 11pm: 40 units of Lantus Insulin

Even after taking the above high dosages of Insulin my average sugar readings on fasting (morning) are between 175 to 225 and after meals (post prandial) 275-350.
If I have a heavy dinner at a party or function the post meal readings have shown 450+ also at times. Alarming...aren't they?

I have also tried all other remedies like, Herbal, Homeopathy, Ayurvedic, Naturopathy besides Allopathy and Insulin but I can just advise everyone here to stay OFF all those things and stick to time tested and extensively researched Insulin which is the ONLY sure short medication to control a diabetic condition, if not cure.
And I can vouch for it with my personal desperate experiences to bring about blood sugar control.

I have discontinued (vowed not to have!) and avoid chocolates, aerated drinks, icecreams and sugar in my tea or coffee beverages. Yes, my weakness is Good FOOD and Good CARS (especiallly FIATS) but the latter helps me to actually keep my diabetes under control. I am very punctual and methodic with my medication and thats what probably keeps me going even after having such a record of high and uncontrolled sugar levels.

And Life goes on.
As somebody mentioned earlier no one can tell that you are a diabetic unless you keep telling others. I feel guilty to admit, but I must say that my food intake is a lot more than of a normal healthy person.

I will appreciate more feedback and comments from fellow members on this subject if there is anything that we diabetics could do to live a healthier and controlled - diabetic life.
Old 6th February 2009, 12:52   #49
ECM
BHPian

Dear President
I feel extremely good to see you here,gone threw your whole post and here is some observations of mine.
your total TDD is 130 units thats quite a big dose!I suggest you to take Novorapid or Apidra or Humalog(Lilly)plain and not 25% or 50%-it comes in red box,instead of Huminsulin R (R- regular),it will help you to control your BS coz of below reasons.
1-Onset time is just 15 minutes,ends in 3.5 hrs
2-No more insulin will remain in your blood stream after your meal or b.fast for a LONGer time hence you will not feel much hungry like one feels in Actrapid or Insulatard's case where onset time ranges from 30 minutes to 2 hours.
3-If possible do not take any food while going to bed in night-here kindly reduce your dose to avoid hypo at late night.This will bring your fasting BS down.
4-Any rapid acting insulin you can take after haivng your meal...this applies for Apidra-Novorapid and Humalog.

Last edited by ECM : 6th February 2009 at 12:59.
Old 7th February 2009, 17:36   #50
ECM
BHPian

Today I had a longggggg discussion with President our senior member and I am delighted to announce that in just 1 shot of fast acting insulin which he takes HuminsulinR,he managed to bring his PPBS down upto 205,look at his line which says
Quote:
Before Lunch: 25 units of Huminsulin R (R- regular)
Important thing is we never increased the dose of Insulin but used only 13 units instead of 25 he normally takes!i.e 12 units lesser....
What came out from our discussion was to do some small changes and see what happens,result was 205mg Blood sugar,he and his family members were very happy to see insulin finally getting his BS down,we are on the right path mostly and I wish Mr.President will keep managing his BS and achieve best goals in his life.

Last line to our Admin GTO-
Rushabh I compliment you from all corners of my heart,it was your forum tbhp who today helped one of his members in real terms to improve his life,accept my compliments.This might not have ever happen if me or president never met using tbhp,belive me all best wishes I got from him now I pass on to you coz I feel you are the one who deserve it.
This thread will never die,kudos to diabetes!

Last edited by ECM : 7th February 2009 at 17:38.
Old 7th February 2009, 21:38   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

ECM,

Thanks for the kind words, but our initiative has only resulted in an enabler. It is the member base - helpful guys like you - who make Team-BHP what it is today. It is simply overwhelming to see the level of camaraderie on Team-BHP. Best part is : We have a lot planned out and a long way to go. Ahead.

Cheers!
Old 9th February 2009, 15:01   #52
knp
BHPian

Team-BHP has become my home page and for anything & everything, I first search here first.
I am happy to see a discussion on diabetes here..
My dad is having diabetes for last 17 years and now, he's taking insulin and keeping it in good control.
for last few weeks, he's complaining of burning feel on his feet, he feels it more when he walks.
Can someone from Bangalore, suggest me a good diabetic doctor? I would prefer a clinic rather than visiting corporate hospitals like apollo, wockhardt.
I really appreciate your suggestions here.

thanks,
pk
Old 10th January 2010, 10:15   #53
BANNED

Dear ECM, thanks for starting this thread.
I am 45 years old and been diagnosed as diabetic type 2 in May 09 as my other family members have the same
When I was tested first time, My BS was 375, I am 5.8" and weigh 67 Kgs immediately saw a senior doctor close to our house. He asked for various tests like lipid profile, Lft, Biochemistry, Haematology and Ultra sound for lower abdomen (Kidney, liver among others).
The results were shocking for me, they were at highest point.
He prescribed me Glufrmin G1 for morning, Gluformin 500 XL for before diner with Fibrator 10mg, Udihep 10mg and one zevit for three months and then more test after that.
He also told me to walk at least 5 KM daily and avoid eating any thing sweet, fried food among other things.
My BS came down in 10 days to normal and I am able to control it, last month my HbA1c test results are showing 6.40% from 9.90% when diagnosed. All my other test are normal now.
Now a days I am eating normal like some time heavy stuffs like parathas.
I would like to know some more about something but would wait a little.
Old 12th October 2011, 15:49   #54
BHPian

Re: Are you diabetic?

Guys, How do you take the insulin pen with you when you go out?
Its written that it once you start using it, it needs to be stored at room temperature < 30C
Is there any carry case like this available in India?
FRIO :: Individual Pen Wallet :: Buy Online
Old 12th October 2011, 17:13   #55
BHPian

Yes I am a diabetic and I am brave enough to admit. I am saying brave cos I have seen so many people who hide their diabetes and feel insecure revealing their condition for the reasons best known to them. In fact a diabetic can surely lead a normal life once they change their lifestyle to a certain extent. I was diagnosed to be a diabetic at the age of 28 only and I had no hesitation in declaring that I was a diabetic.
Old 28th July 2012, 16:14   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

Quick question:

My mother had been told take 27 units of insulin before breakfast and 15 units before dinner. She was taking this with U-40 insulin and a U-40 syringe.

Now she has switched to a U-100 pen-shot which comes with U-100 insulin. Does she continue taking 27 - 15 units or do these units need to be converted for use with a U-100 pen?

Thanks in advance!
Old 28th August 2012, 23:58   #57
ECM
BHPian

Dose will remain the same when she switched from u-40 to pen device.Generally such important questions should be addressed to your consultant doctors imo.
After a long time I came back to this thread,hope people pay much attention to diabetes due to current stressful life.
Quote:
Now she has switched to a U-100 pen-shot which comes with U-100 insulin. Does she continue taking 27 - 15 units or do these units need to be converted for use with a U-100 pen?
Old 29th August 2012, 00:27   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Strictly to be taken after consultation with, and advice from, your physician / diabetologist. But this is to point out the path-breaking frontiers that are being opened up by new drugs and the research that goes into them.

BYETTA (exenatide) injection | Welcome to BYETTA.com
Old 29th August 2012, 00:35   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Hey guys,

Quick question:

My mother had been told take 27 units of insulin before breakfast and 15 units before dinner. She was taking this with U-40 insulin and a U-40 syringe.

Thanks in advance!
Hi anekho, this is too important a question for you to get an answer from here, what does her doctor say ?
Old 29th August 2012, 00:50   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Hi anekho, this is too important a question for you to get an answer from here, what does her doctor say ?
As per the doctor, units of insulin taken remain constant as long as the correct insulin + syringe/pen is used. So, if you're taking 27 units of U40 insulin with a U40 syringe, you continue doing so with U100 insulin + a U100 syringe/pen.

Conversion has to be done when one wants to use for ex. U100 insulin with a U40 syringe. This is not recommended though: it's easy to get the numbers wrong.

Thanks for the concern!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
Dose will remain the same when she switched from u-40 to pen device.Generally such important questions should be addressed to your consultant doctors imo.
After a long time I came back to this thread,hope people pay much attention to diabetes due to current stressful life.
Thanks, ECM! We used the pen only after meeting our family doctor. This was a spontaneous question that cropped up when we purchased the pen!

Last edited by anekho : 29th August 2012 at 00:54.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks