Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2012, 00:07   #76
ECM
BHPian

Re: Are you diabetic?

Just a day back when I visited our pathologist he told me that just few hours back there was one 2 months old patient(no idea wether a girl or a boy-it does not matter)found T-1 having blood sugar reading of 400+.Just imagine how to control B.Sugar of this child who is totally dependant on his/her mother for nutrition and during Hypo how can this child can complain as he/she is speechless.
That day one more child was added in the list of T-1 children though I felt very sorry to know the age of this child.
Old 15th September 2012, 02:17   #77
BHPian

Guys just thought I'd share the following information with you. I'm not diabetic but came across this information while researching for someone in my family.

Link 1 is called "Simply Raw - Reversing Diabetes in 30 days".

Link 2 below states that Nobel Prize inner ALbert Schweitzer was cured of advanced type II Diabetes at age 75 by using the Gerson Therapy.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/simpl...es-in-30-days/

http://gerson.org/gerpress/dr-max-gerson/

Last edited by Wolfheart : 15th September 2012 at 02:21.
Old 9th October 2012, 13:12   #78
ECM
BHPian

I started injecting Insulin since last 10 days.Reason was simple,my B.G was howering around 250+ and for better future and left with no options,I opted for insulin.
These needles are absolutely painless nowadays.I infect tried injecting few years back just to find how much painful they are!Now B.G is under control and enjoying the life better.
There is a technic for lesser pain,hower your needle around your tummy and find a portion which gives lesser pain,the part where nerve endings are there will give huge pain so be careful not to inject in that area.Once you find less painful zone,just press the syringe or pen and it will go in with absolute no pain.Inject slowly unit by unit and within no time your "shot"will be over.
This "nerve ending" painful zone is the reason why docs always insist parents to let T-1patient to inject the insulin by self.In old days I have seen my daughter crying when I used to give her injection.Once you master this technic the fobia of injecting insulin will vanish for ever.If you too left with no options like me,try this and I bet you will have better life ahead for you and yours.
Old 10th December 2012, 16:04   #79
BHPian

Guys anyone has knowledge of where I can get Insulin carrying wallet like the "Frio" in India? I need a way to cool the small Insulin bottle and the Pen while travelling and when I will be at my native place where there is limited/no access to fridge. Please suggest alternatives that do not depend on electricity. Travel time is around 4-5 hrs during which time there is not much need. But when I intend to stay at native place over night I need some means to keep the insulin in cool place for around 24 hrs. Any place where I can buy quickly in Pune?
Old 13th December 2012, 12:10   #80
BHPian

On further research about availability of Frio products in India I got following information from another forum. Pasting here for anyone who may be interested in the Frio Insulin carrying wallet.

Manish Pandya - Manager (Business Development)
CLINICARE (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
801A, Eureka Towers, 8th Floor, 'A' Wing,
MindSpace, New Link Road, Malad (West),
Mumbai 400 064, INDIA
Tel: + 91 22 6143 3030 Fax: + 91 22 2844 5591. Web: www.clinicareindia.com

They have distributors in some cities and places where they don't have distributor they will courier you the desired product. Contact above number/website for ordering or inquiry. They are the official distributor of Frio products in India.
Old 27th December 2012, 17:46   #81
ECM
BHPian

Frio packs should be available with most of physicians,just ask for it and he will give you.Many insulin producing companies giving this free to them for distribution as far as I know till now.
Old 28th June 2013, 09:57   #82
ECM
BHPian

Just a week back I decided to run a random check up of blood sugar inviting my friends to my office,there were around 12 friends and none of them looked serious about this test but I had my doubts but I kept mum till the reading appeared on screen.
Out of 12,4 found Diabetic and they further gone for the check up,got PPBS above 200 and in one case it was 361~!!
Two found on boarder line with blood sugar level around 160 and 158.
rest were normal.
So 50% of crowd was near or in the danger zone,I wish one day many of member decides for a check up and post there Blood sugar level here,remember in 2025 more than 30 crores of Indian will be diabetic as per one study.
Old 28th June 2013, 10:04   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

@ECM, good step that. Hopefully, it will help those who tested normal, as much as it will help the ones who tested positive.

btw, where are you located ? BBY ?
Old 28th June 2013, 10:26   #84
Mik
BHPian

My wife is a T1 diabetic for many years. She was using the insulin pens but recently, she was in the US for 6 months at a client site and availed the medical benefit there. Now, we have an insulin pump for free
Its an amazing device, though operating costs are higher. Now her dosage is incision free (1 little prick in 5 days or so). With the sensor attached, real time monitoring is easier.
Old 28th June 2013, 11:56   #85
BHPian

Lost my boss whom i was very close , the resulting stress increased my BP to 200/120 and as part of complete diagonsis had to undergo sugar test both fasting & post lunch .My fasting glucose is 103 against an ave of 100 and post lunch is 121 against range of 100 - 140mg/dl .what precautious should i undertake , my family is breathing down me to cut down sugar totally.
Old 28th June 2013, 12:26   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
My fasting glucose is 103 against an ave of 100 and post lunch is 121 against range of 100 - 140mg/dl .what precautious should i undertake , my family is breathing down me to cut down sugar totally.
The values are good, though they'll say fasting should be upto 90 only.

My suggestion - regular exercise. Wont hurt to cut down on high sugar / Calorie sweets, and plan your intake. (Check the calorific values - I was surprised at the variations).
Old 29th June 2013, 08:53   #87
ECM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
My wife is a T1 diabetic for many years.we have an insulin pump for free Its an amazing device, With the sensor attached, real time monitoring is easier.
Yes pumping is best only thing your wife need to check is her insulin to carb ratio.Less worries when she can check her B.S levels real time.Her life will be now much easier due to pump,my warm regards to both of you. May God bless her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
My fasting glucose is 103 against an ave of 100 and post lunch is 121 against range of 100 - 140mg/dl . my family is breathing down me to cut down sugar totally.
Condor is right,you at present need not to worry avoid fast foods which are absolute junk and slow in releasing carbs which later turn into sugar.

Condor I am from Gujarat fyi.

Last edited by ECM : 29th June 2013 at 08:56. Reason: Added a reply to condor
Old 6th October 2013, 00:14   #88
BHPian

Just stumbled across this thread after three years of being a member here. Just wanted to share my experience. I was diagnosed with diabetes and high blood pressure in 2003. I had all the common symptoms excessive urination, lethargy, unexplained weight loss etc. I was 20 then and didn't understand the repurcussions (probably still not serious enough) but for a good period till about 2010 I was only on tablets. I had gone on a diet regime in 2007 and managed to lose about 16kg from 99 to 83. I had excellent blood sugar control then.

Got married in 2009 and for some reason couldn't diet after that. I was put on insulin post which I had an exponential weight gain wherein I gained almost 25kg to weigh 110 in 2011. I was also on very high doses of insulin mixed with pioglitazone. It became a sort of vicious cycle for me where in due to the insulin I would feel hungry and because I ate more I needed to take more insulin. I have managed to stabilise the weight around 100 while the ideal is below 80

Currently my sugar levels are 130s for fasting and 170s for post meals.

I take 12-20-12 units of Humalog, 26-0-26 units of Lantus and 0-0-1.8 dosage of victoza. I also take tablets 3 times a day. In addition to all this I also take Ayurvedic medicines as suggested by a close relative who is a homeopath. My monthly spend on all this is close to INR 30,000.

Luckily the blood pressure is under control in the 130/80 range.

I am being forced by my family to consider going in for bariatric surgery and have consulted the 2 major surgeons as well. I am not convinced to go in for Gastric bypass but may go in for Sleeve Gastrectomy. However I am unable to get myself to take a decision and am sitting on the fence sice a while now.

I have tried everything in terms of alternate medicine right from methi to bhendi to the wheat flour mixed with ajwain, etc. nothing seems to have worked on me till date. I keep getting an upset stomach every few days as an expected symptom of Victoza which in addition to the Ayurvedic medicine I feel helps keep the sugar at this levels. Insulin has never really helped IMO and my current doctor has stopped pioglitazone long back. My doctor suggested an Insulin pump but I am not very comfortable with the idea!

My work timings don't always allow me to go for walks but I try to do so 3 times a week.

I seek advice on this forum on any experimental treatments for diabetes or any other remedies. I am 30 now and have a 2 year old daughter and want to be in the best of health to be able to enjoy my time with her.

Thanks for reading!

P.S. When I was first diagnosed both my parents started weeping inconsolably as if I were no more. That for me was worse than the condition. I am not a very optimistic person and I sometimes feel this trait is the cause of the condition. Having said that I always tried to hide my condition but am more open accepting it now. I get both sympathy and concern from people but try not to let it affect me. I have luckily been able to lead a fairly normal life in every way. I even play club cricket from the last 15 years every non monsoon Sunday. For this I take inspiration from the great Wasim Akram!
Old 14th April 2014, 00:05   #89
ECM
BHPian

Quote:
I take 12-20-12 units of Humalog, 26-0-26 units of Lantus
Sorry to hear your story. Infect I logged after a very long time so could not read your post so here is my feedback for you.
I don't who advised you to take this dose? There is a big mistake in it, let me explain.
Humalog is a rapid acting insulin known as Bolus insulin,this one must take after having any meal/ food input.This works for 4 to 5.5 hrs depending upon patient.
Lantus is a Basal insulin and remains in your body for 24 hours. Now back to your insulin regime, who told you to take Lantus 2 times? He must be a *********.
Lantus meant to work for 24 hours and should be taken just once in a day only. I doubt you are on the wrong path as far as taking insulin goes.
Will update this if I get any inputs from you as your post is of 2013.
Old 14th April 2014, 11:08   #90
Senior - BHPian

There are 3 items that are not freely found in nature but our bodies have now got pretty much addicted to - Sugar, Salt and refined Oil. Sugar is the worst among these. If we are able to limit the intake of the above three human refined items we would be better off in terms of health. It is better to eat low carb food with limited salt. It is better to consume Animal Fat (Butter, Ghee, Eggs etc.) than to consume fried food in refined oil (Puri, Pakora, shallow fried vegetable curry etc.). Avoid sweets as much as possible and eat them if you desire before having food and not after consuming food.
This with a limited amount of exercise - 20 min cardio + 20 min strength will make anyone fit and fine. No need of medication or surgery. Our human body is amazingly adaptive and will adapt to your new healthy lifestyle very quickly.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks