Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 11:47   #1
ECM
BHPian

Are you diabetic?

For me- yes I am since last 18 months and here I shall try to post some useful information on diabetes.

First download this free program,this covers almost all foods.I am adding few dishes into its database right now,if others have any info on carb.counts in typical Indian food do post here,this will be very useful.

For those who are NOT diabetic and above 30+ should check their HBA1c once in 6 months,those who wish to stay fit n fine n healthy can check calorie intact from this proggy,hope this thread turn out be a useful one as India is becoming a hub for T1 and T2 diabetes.

PS:-PM me to get this program.

Last edited by navin : 9th May 2019 at 16:32. Reason: typo
Old 11th December 2008, 15:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, nice thread and gutsy too. But, Diabetic is not taboo anymore.

People are freely mentioning the same and i think awareness will only decrease potential diabetic people and at the same time allow healthy lifestyle for someone who is already one.

I am curious to know the symptoms of a potential diabetic. I know some like :-

a) Frequent urination
b) Hunger pangs every few hours
c) Losing weight
d) Wounds not healing quickly enough

Is there any other symptoms?
Old 11th December 2008, 15:26   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Is there any other symptoms?
Increased urination and increased frequency of urination
Increased hunger
Increased thirst
Weight loss
Gum disease
dryness of mouth
Itchy skin
Non healing ulcers

later stages:
Delayed wound healing in later stages
loosening of teeth
Red spots in eyes (retinopathy) causing blurry vision
Irritability
fatigue/tiredness
Tingling sensation of extremities
Diabetic foot/ulcer/gangrene
Old 11th December 2008, 15:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Avi..The symptoms you have mentioned are common ones:
There are lot of other symptoms:
Hypoglycemia : Low Blood sugar : Falling below 70
Symptoms - Palpitations , Faster Heart Beat , Sweating and Passing into Diabetic Coma (Sugar level falls to 20)

Hyperglycemia : High Blood Sugar (Over 220)
Symptoms - Increaser Hunger,Blurred Vision , Confusion and Irritability,Numbness of Feet

Everyone should invest in a Accu Check to verify their sugar levels everymonth..it helps a lot.
Old 11th December 2008, 17:34   #5
ECM
BHPian

The link to download calorie cum carb counts is
RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

Soon I shall post readymade excel sheet for those who are taking insulin.

Just an example if you are counting carbohydrate,
an average person in India eats around 200-230 carb per day,this too applies to those who are diabetic now if person goes to restaurant and eats 2 naan or tandoori roti he will add 2x41 carb to his tummy!Here I am only counting roti or naan and not other items so friends play safe it you want to add this silent killer disease.
Fatigue is a sign of diabetes with a slight burning pain in bottom of your feet.
Diabetes is not a disease but a system disorder so don't worry and be strict in your lifestyle,get lipid profile done once in 6 months with HBA1C test.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th December 2008 at 13:10. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 11th December 2008, 18:33   #6
BHPian

I have been living with it for sometime.
I have learnt a lot from my father, who is living with it for past 30 years.

Its not very difficult to live with it, but being active is the key.

Sweets, red meat, potatoes, rice must not be avoided, but they should be consumed calculatedly.
Being Diabetic is not problem, but getting low blood sugar levels is more fatal.

Insulin - try to avoid it till you are 60, if possible. If body starts requiring regular doses means health will take a big time beating.
Old 11th December 2008, 19:05   #7
BHPian

How to live with it?

Many suggestion might come, don't this don't eat that.
But be the judge of your own body.

High Blood Suger levels due to eating lots of calories
- Felling uneasiness.
- Dizzyness
- Drastic Change in Blood pressure

Going out for a walk, if such scenario arises. If body doesn't eases out jogging a bit might help.

Low Blood Suger level, happens usually due to being in a low calorie diet for a long time.
- Feeling cold.
- Drastic Change in Blood pressure (usually in the lower side)
Always keep glucose, or chocolates/Toffee or lump of Sugar (fruits and nuts are the best). Eat them immediately. Try to relax. Slow thing down. Don't do anything rigorous, till body eases.

NB: I never had this problem, this was suggested to me by my Father.

What might be consequences of Negligiance.
- Cardiac Arrest.
- Paralysis.
- Nervous System might get affected.

What are the usual problems related with Diabetes.
Well, hypertension is one major problem, as people tend to become overcautious. Avoiding regular food and meals leads to many other problems.

Be normal, no one can identify if you are diabetic, just maintain some routine and some kind of physical workout is a must everyday.
Usually prolonged rest or workout affects the worst.
Old 11th December 2008, 19:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well i know of two other members who are diabetic,
President aka Ronnie and Viper aka Jignesh
Old 11th December 2008, 19:21   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
mobike008 : Is there any other symptoms?
Symptoms can be misleading. A better approach is:
Quote:
ECM : For those who are NOT diabetic and above 30+ should check their HBA1c once in 6 months, ..
HBA1c is a measure of glycemic control. This figure is used to check how well your body is able to control the sugar levels. So even if your fasting / random blood sugar levels are high, the glycemic control is the big one.

Watching the symptoms is not a substitute for the blood tests. Leaving things to take their natural course - like if you were to keep looking out for symptoms only - can lead to a delay in discovery. Waiting can end up in a situation where the condition is discovered when blood sugar levels are in teh 350-400 range. And such discoveries are often accidental.
Old 11th December 2008, 19:39   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

2 more cents from me.

Don't trust docs who say, "these high levels are fine considering your age and other illness that you have".

Take a second opinion.

Have come across many cases like this and second opinions have helped reduce blood sugar considerably.

Best way to prevent and control diabetes is exercise, especially walking.
Old 11th December 2008, 20:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

sugar and heart problems are set in childhood, not in adult life. I have been trying hard to not give a sweet tooth to my children, much to the disappointment of my wife. And i hate the "moonh meetha kar lo" attitude of our country men, my parents included.

Frankly speaking, kids don't know what sweet is until they get used to it. I know somebody who took pride in giving an ice cream everyday to his daughter. for us it was once in an year affair when we were young.

Diabetes is a disorder, and india is set to become diabetic capital of the world. high time we control our diets and change our lifestyles.
Old 11th December 2008, 20:30   #12
ECM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Well i know of two other members who are diabetic,
President aka Ronnie and Viper aka Jignesh
Oh but never mind,pray God that we have such disorder which can be controlled atleast!Postive mind frame is a must in diabetes.

Bolus calculator I am attaching here,this is only for those who take Rapid Acting Insulin like Apidra or Novorapid or Humalog before taking b.fast lunch dinner i.e 3 shots and 1 shot of Basal Insulin like Lantus or Levemir.
There must be few who are taking fast acting Insuline like Actrapid and Insulatard(NPH),the one I just wrote above in the 1st para is the latest treatment for Insulin dependant patients or Type 1 diabetic patients.
I am also attaching a snapshot which will tell you how different Insulin works.
How to use this Bolus calculator?
few datas one needs to input in the sheet.
*If you are taking Fast Acting Insuline use this formula to find ISF i.e Insuline Sensitivity Factor,here for an example 28 is your daily Insulin dose.
Example: 1500 / 28 = 54
This means that every unit of insulin should lower BS approximately 54.
For Rapid Acting Insulin calculation goes like this
1800 / 28 = 64
This means that every unit of insulin should lower BS approximately 64.

*There is a formula based on the total amount of insulin you use daily, your Total Daily Dosage (TDD).
Your insulin to carb ratio (I:C) can then be calculated as 500/TDD.

Example if my TDD is 50 then my I:C will be 10.
for more info check

Carb Factor From The 500 Rule

Disclaimer:-Use this info as a guidelines only,first meet your doctor,show this info to him and take or change your insulin dose,above I have posted for information purpose only,excess insulin can bring hypo..less insulin can shoot up your blood glucose.

So friends don't forget to count carbs next time when you eat,all the best.I shall keep posting whatever info I get on Diabetes in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Are you diabetic?-insulin-action-profile.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: xls BOLUS CALCULATOR.xls (171.0 KB, 1183 views)

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th December 2008 at 13:11. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 11th December 2008, 21:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think that with proper care, diabetes is not at all even a disease. Just an hour of regular walk a day and slight control on food can make you forget you are diabetic.

My mother is diabetic around 8 years now and my paternal grandmother is diabetic for more than 10 years. Above is just my observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Increased urination and increased frequency of urination
Increased hunger
Increased thirst
Weight loss
Gum disease
dryness of mouth
Itchy skin
Non healing ulcers

later stages:
Delayed wound healing in later stages
loosening of teeth
Red spots in eyes (retinopathy) causing blurry vision
Irritability
fatigue/tiredness
Tingling sensation of extremities
Diabetic foot/ulcer/gangrene
Can you explain Tingling sensation of extremities ? Tingling sensation in, lets say toe ?
My mother had some issue with right or left foot, but it was not needed to be cut off, and the doctor said it was miracle.
And can you give out more information about Diabetic foot ?

Does overweight responsible for diabetes ? At the age of 22, I am overweight by around 20 kg, weighing more than 90 kgs. I think that its just the natural body that is cause of this and not overweight. Am I right ?
Old 11th December 2008, 21:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Having lived with it for a few years now here are my observations

- every one knows a cure for it. Refrain from discussing your disease in public
- stop smoking. It increases your chance of a heart attack several times.
- pain sensations go down and as such chances of a painless heart attack are very high. therefore get tread mill test done once a year.
- be consistent with your diet and time of meal.
- don't take medical advice from people who have not studied at least MBBS. culturally we (including yours truly) are prone to give unsolicited advice on any and every subject under the sun.
Old 11th December 2008, 23:06   #15
ECM
BHPian

For Diabetes one MUST discuss in public,even the information in Icard of most of diabetic patient mentions clearly that he or she is suffering from Diabetes and in case of hypo occurs Glusose suppliment must be given,get out of the old habits.This is diabetes and not AIDS.
For your kind consideration I am attaching form called 504 plan for children in case of T1 vastly used in US and Europe.
Quote:
every one knows a cure for it. Refrain from discussing your disease in public
Attached Files
File Type: doc 504_grade4_1.doc (63.0 KB, 816 views)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks