Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2017, 19:56   #121

Re: Are you diabetic?

Greetings people,
I just came across this thread and was surprised to see it on an Automobile community. This thread definitely shows good gesture of this community not restricting it to machinery mechanics but also to human mechanics.

I have no or very little knowledge with diabetes but know a bit of it because my dear mother had it since last 4 years. Her PP was beyond 380, but now I am very glad to say that it is almost come down and is constant to 110 – 130 since almost a month. This happened through a diet regime which is hard to follow for few days but becomes habit soon.
She had undergone a course of naturopathy with one of the renowned doctors or group in Pune and I am also a part of whats app group who have been through this program. A group of 28 members have shown tremendous improvement and almost everyone are clear of diabetes and some are free from insulin’s.
This program was for 7 days and costs 28k. These doctors have various packages as well.

I am not marketing it or endorsing it but thought if this can be helpful to someone in need. I am not sure if I can post it here as per rules but can provide you details if needed.

Regards,
Old 22nd May 2017, 20:10   #122
BHPian

One common myth that even some of the uninformed doctors perpetrate is that if your HBA1C results are high then you're surely diabetic.

This is, however, false because the truest test of diabetes is the 3 step blood glucose test where the first test is the fasting sugar, then one test one hour after taking glucose (about 100gm), then one more test one hour after the second test in which the blood glucose level should normally return towards fasting level.

As for HBA1C, there are plenty of reasons for it to go high.

So please do check your fasting and PP blood glucose before drawing any definite conclusions.
Old 22nd May 2017, 20:28   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebagchi View Post
How to live with it?
Happy Day, thebagchi, Being in a country of yoga I am sure you don't need to live with it, Its very well treatable.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd May 2017 at 21:06. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 22nd May 2017, 21:35   #124

SECTIONS

Type 2 Diabetes ADA Diagnosis Criteria

The*American Diabetes Association*(ADA) criteria for the diagnosis of*diabetes*are any of the following:*[1]

A hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) level of 6.5% or higher; the test should be performed in a laboratory using a method that is certified by the National Glycohemoglobin Standardization Program (NGSP) and standardized or traceable to the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial (DCCT) reference assay,or

A fasting plasma glucose (FPG) level of 126 mg/dL (7 mmol/L) or higher; fasting is defined as no caloric intake for at least 8 hours,*or

A 2-hour plasma glucose level of 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) or higher during a 75-g oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT),*or

A random plasma glucose of 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) or higher in a patient with classic symptoms of hyperglycemia (ie, polyuria, polydipsia, polyphagia, weight loss) or hyperglycemic crisis
But HbA1C should be done by only HPLC method
waxtouch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 09:55   #125
ECM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowonfield View Post
Happy Day, thebagchi, Being in a country of yoga I am sure you don't need to live with it, Its very well treatable.
I disagree. Without a strict diet regime/exercise this is not possible. I know a guy who tried everything for 6 years with optimum efforts ended with Insulin intake. Yes Yoga may help only if you encounter this system disorder with strict plan and upside down change in your lifestyle else no use.
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:11   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
I disagree. Without a strict diet regime/exercise this is not possible. I know a guy who tried everything for 6 years with optimum efforts ended with Insulin intake. Yes Yoga may help only if you encounter this system disorder with strict plan and upside down change in your lifestyle else no use.
Very well said ECM 😇. I second your thought, and I have mentioned same in reply to this thread #121 that diabeties is treatable, I have literraly met almost 25 diabetic people who have positive results with strict diet regime and excercise. It just needs proper guidance and we have well guided and tested doctor in Pune 👍.
Old 23rd May 2017, 13:31   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel5915 View Post
One common myth that even some of the uninformed doctors perpetrate is that if your HBA1C results are high then you're surely diabetic.

This is, however, false because the truest test of diabetes is the 3 step blood glucose test where the first test is the fasting sugar, then one test one hour after taking glucose (about 100gm), then one more test one hour after the second test in which the blood glucose level should normally return towards fasting level.

As for HBA1C, there are plenty of reasons for it to go high.

So please do check your fasting and PP blood glucose before drawing any definite conclusions.
Sorry to say but your information isn't correct. Latest ADA guidelines have laid out the criteria for diagnosing diabetes as any 1 of the following:-
1. HbA1c more than 6.5%
2. FBS more than 126
3. Glucose more than 200, 2 hours after 75g GTT
4. RBS more than 200 in a symptomatic patient.

HbA1c is an index of the blood glucose levels of the last 90 days, and is surely as important as fasting glucose levels. Agreed that there are causes for HbA1c rise without diabetes, but in medicine there is never a 100% accurate test. Every investigation has a senstivity and specificity which decides what investigation to use.

Last edited by D4d-maniac : 23rd May 2017 at 13:40.
Old 23rd May 2017, 15:55   #128

Copied from whats app forwarded message.

*Chappaties will soon become EXTINCT*

A renowned cardiologist explains how eliminating wheat can IMPROVE your health.

Cardiologist William Davis, MD, started his career repairing damaged hearts through angioplasty and bypass surgeries.

"That's what I was trained to do, and at first, that's what I wanted to do," he explains. But when his own mother died of a heart attack in 1995, despite receiving the best cardiac care, he was forced to face nagging concerns about his profession.

"I'd fix a patient's heart, only to see him come back with the same problems. It was just a band-aid, with no effort to identify the *cause* of the disease."

So he moved his practice toward highly uncharted medical territory
– prevention – and spent the next 15 years examining the causes of heart disease in his patients.

The resulting discoveries are revealed in
"Wheat Belly", his New York Times best-selling book, which attributes many of our physical problems, including heart disease, diabetes and obesity, to our consumption of wheat.
Eliminating wheat can "transform our lives."

*What is a "Wheat Belly"?*
Wheat raises your blood sugar dramatically. In fact, two slices of wheat bread raise your blood sugar more than a Snickers bar.

"When my patients give up wheat, weight loss was substantial, especially from the abdomen. People can lose several inches in the first month."
You make connections between wheat and a host of other health problems.

Eighty percent of my patients had diabetes or pre-diabetes.

I knew that wheat spiked blood sugar more than almost anything else, so I said, "Let's remove wheat from your diet and see what happens to your blood sugar." They'd come back 3 to 6 months later, and their blood sugar would be dramatically reduced.
But they also had all these other reactions:
"I removed wheat and I lost 38 pounds." Or, "my asthma got so much better, I threw away two of my inhalers."
Or "the migraine headaches I've had every day for 20 years stopped within three days." "My acid reflux is now gone."
"My IBS is better, my ulcerative colitis, my rheumatoid arthritis, my mood, my sleep . . ." and so on, and so on".

When you look at the makeup of wheat, Amylopectin A, a chemical unique to wheat, is an incredible trigger of small LDL particles in the blood – the number one cause of heart disease.

When wheat is removed from the diet, these small LDL levels plummet by 80 and 90 percent.

Wheat contains high levels of Gliadin, a protein that actually stimulates appetite. Eating wheat increases the average person's calorie intake by 400 calories a day.

Gliadin also has opiate-like properties which makes it "addictive".
Food scientists have known this for almost 20 years.

Is eating a wheat-free diet the same as a gluten-free diet?
Gluten is just one component of wheat.
If we took the gluten out of it, wheat will still be bad since it will still have the Gliadin and the Amylopectin A, as well as several other undesirable components.

Gluten-free products are made with 4 basic ingredients: corn starch, rice starch, tapioca starch or potato starch.
And those 4 dried, powdered starches are some of the foods that raise blood sugar even higher.

I encourage people to return to REAL food:
Fruits
Vegetables
and nuts and seeds, Unpasteurized cheese ,
Eggs and meats

Wheat really changed in the 70s and 80s due to a series of techniques used to increase yield, including hybridization. It was bred to be shorter and sturdier and also to have more Gliadin, (a potent appetite stimulant)

The wheat we eat today is not the wheat that was eaten 100 years ago.

If you stop eating breads/pasta/chapatis every day, and start eating rice with chicken and vegetables, you still lose weight because rice doesn't raise blood sugar as high as wheat, and it also doesn't have the aAmylopectin A or the Gliadin that stimulates appetite. You won't have the same increase in calorie intake that wheat causes.
That's part of the reason why foreign cultures that don't consume wheat tend to be slenderer and healthier.

Everyone should stop eating wheat. This is the closest I know of to something that will transform your life."

EDIT: Source: Dr. William Davis | Cardiologist & Author of Wheat Belly Books

Last edited by aah78 : 11th April 2019 at 18:47. Reason: Please check sources before blindly copy-pasting WhatsApp forwards. Thank you!
rowonfield is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 10:50   #129
Senior - BHPian

Waking up this thread.

I have been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about 8 Months ago. I have always felt that I was getting tired easily, especially after the Gym when I would feel light headed.

Without looking at my blood work, I started my bulking cycle in the gym and started eating a lot of simple carbs, I would watch binge eating channels on youtube like "beardmeatsfood" while eating my dinner, so that I could complete the huge pile of white rice in my plate. I continued with my bulking cycle for 4 months and towards the end I started getting ripped, even though I was on bulking.

I was training like a mad dog and I associate my general fatigue with my intense training.

One fine day I went to a party and ended up drinking a liter of pepsi, in the next 3-4 days my thirst increased and i ended up going to the loo quite often. In the days that progressed my thirst went further out of control and even after having liter of icy water would leave parched.

In 2-3 days my vision started getting blurred, that was my final signal to go and see the doctor. At the time when I took the blood test my sugar level was at 420 and fasting sugar the next day was at 225.

I was immediately put on 10IUs insulin (sustained release) and metformin. This immediately brought down the sugar levels to 120 Fasting and 220 after meals.

My diet has been mostly sugar free and i used to cheat once in 2-3 weeks.

The fasting sugar levels soon became normal ~100 and the sugar level after food was around 160. I was slowly weaned off insulin and now I take 3 Metformin tabs after each meal.

The fasting sugar has increased from below 100 to around 126 and the sugar level after food is around 220. The doctor attributed this to the removal of insulin, and said it would take a month or two to stabilize. I am now completely sugar and rice free.

I stopped Gyming during the peak of my diabetes primarily because I was getting light headed while lifting heavy weight.

I am planning to restart gyming soon

Two major learning

Never start a bulking cycle before getting your blood work done, always track this mid way as well.

As you grow older you are at a higher risk, so always keep a watch, especially if you have a documented history of diabetes in the family.

Note: The symptoms are usually very late, its better to get checked every month if you are on some diet plans. Getting your sugar levels back to normal is also a herculean task.

Mods: Please feel to be move to the dieting thread or the body building thread.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 5th December 2018 at 10:53.
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 07:59   #130
ECM
BHPian

Aspartame in artificial sweeteners said to cause Memory loss, don't raise your collar if you are taking such artificial sweeteners and label yourself as health cautious person. I developed a habit of taking tea/coffee or milk without sugar,taste better!
Old 11th April 2019, 08:35   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowonfield View Post
Copied from whats app forwarded message.

*Chappaties will soon become EXTINCT*
Forwarded messages from unknown sources - defnite no-no. The source is not known, the methods not verifed, but the results are glorified.

Each person is different. What works for one wont necessarily work for another. A good friend got a paid subscription to an Indian diet blog/website which was putting up a lot of "success stories". He tried it for a few months. Finally went to nutritionist, diet plan changed and he is now much better.
Old 11th April 2019, 15:41   #132
BANNED

I was using artificial sweeteners. As the knowledge of the risks developed, I have gone back to two options. Reduced quantities of Sugar and /or no sugar. It took some getting used to, but now I am fine and quite happy. I know of a reputed Physician in Kanpur where both he and his wife are wheelchair bound. They were using 20-30 tablets of Sugar Free a day and maybe this caused the problems.
Old 11th April 2019, 17:19   #133
BHPian

Just want to write my experience

I am diabetic for around 8 yrs, after my initial reading of Hba1c around 8.1, was maintaining between 6-7 depending on my diet control + 2 gms of Metmorfin a day. my cholesterol levels were bit higher.

2 months back my friend connected with his friend who is out of any medications for some time. This was possible due to high protein diet & 2 meals plan.

Thought i can give 3months for this & if it doesnt work then i will revert to my old diet.

Before I started this diet I got HBA1c, Lipids, Creatinin, LFT checked & also consulted my doctor.

I started this diet 2 months back & immediately stopped taking tablets. My Hba1c came down from 6.81 to 6.5 first month & to 6.2 in 2nd month.
Lipid profile, Creatinin & LFT are all good.
I expected my cholesterol level to go up but it came back to normal.

My weight reduced from 72 to 65kgs in 2 months & i am 5' 10.

I consult my doctor every month just to be on the safer side.

This diet is to be followed for 3 months, then on i will have a mix of normal & high protein diet to maintain my sugar levels.

Diet Plan -
first 3 days liquid diet (take veg/NV soup any time of the day, lemon water or butter milk, Good fat around 100gms) + 2 multivitamin tablet.

from 4th day onwards, early morning soaked almonds/walnuts, 3 eggs, veg salad, Soup whenever i am hungry, good fat( i take small bowl of curd around 4pm), night saute veggies or non veg, plus 1 multivitamin tablet.

I go for a brisk walk for around 50min every day. No change in my daily routine, not feeling any tiredness or weak.
Bit of an issue when travelling but managed so far.

Hope it works..!

Thanks
Hemanth

Last edited by Tiger : 11th April 2019 at 17:19. Reason: just added my name.!
Old 11th April 2019, 17:42   #134
BANNED

I hear that Stevia (derived from a South Amarican plant/moss) may be a safer option. However, we should wait for a few years in case any complications show up.

At the moment Stevia looks like a good option, but ....
Old 11th April 2019, 18:23   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
Being a T-1 motivator in my city I see many new cases of T1D nowadays and it is painful,really painful to see a new child being added in a list of Insulin dependent person aka patient.
Good work.

I have T1DM since I was 2 years old, don't even remember the beginning of it.
I am 31 now.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed