Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2009, 17:17   #196
Team-BHP Support

"Hope this helps" is an understatement.

Thanks a lot ! Now lemme take my dentist head-on
Old 27th July 2009, 17:19   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

I am a great fan of implants!

Even though they would have been very difficult, if not impossible, for me to afford back then in UK (I did eventually have two, as mentioned) I really wish I had filled gaps that way. Where you leave a gap, the bone will recede.

One must be very sure of the dentist. When I asked my British guy why so many antiseptic precautions, much more than than when having a tooth taken out, he said that taking something out is relatively risk free compared to putting something in!

Tejas, thanks for the procedural rundown. Back in 2004 I was asked to wait six months before the bridge was fitted.

I can say (patient's point of view) that I had little or no pain at all, in fact less than that from having a tooth out. Although I hassled the guy to prescribe some heavy-duty painkillers, I never needed to take them; just ibuprofen was quite sufficient.

I can also say that I turned down the offer of sedation. It would have meant needing a companion to take me home instead of just getting into my own car, and I also wanted to be fully aware of what was going on, in fact I asked for a running commentary!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th July 2009 at 17:26.
Old 27th July 2009, 17:23   #198
Team-BHP Support

And what if I do not get it done at all ?

Any harm ?
Old 28th July 2009, 14:01   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
And what if I do not get it done at all ?

Any harm ?
If you don't get a tooth replaced by any options, there will be a lot of problems in the long term.

The adjacent teeth will start drifting and tilting towards these gaps. Thus, spaces will open up in the front region, you bite will change and you will be prone to gum problems. Also the upper tooth will over-erupt resulting in root exposure of that tooth. Thus bone support reduces, sensitivity of that tooth increases.

Also bone level will go down in the area of the missing tooth and future replacement options will get very very very limited.

@Thad,

You're absolutely right, it's much more painful to remove a tooth than to put in an implant. I've had patients getting 16 implants placed at one go under local anaesthesia and going for work immediately without any swelling, etc.
Old 28th July 2009, 14:13   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... getting 16 implants placed at one go ...
Wow! That is quite impressive!

(and expensive too!)
Old 28th July 2009, 14:32   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Wow! That is quite impressive!

(and expensive too!)
yeah! that goes into my BMW fund!
Old 28th July 2009, 15:04   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
yeah! that goes into my BMW fund!
hmm impressive - u mean ferrari fund

BTW i am on day 3 of my antibiotics (3 times a day for 5 days), stopped the pain killer as I have no pain. I did have pain yesterday, after i chewed with the offending side by mistake. The pain was like someone punched me in the face and went only after 2-3 hours. Now i need to consider some time for getting wisdom teeth removed!

PS - for some reason I am super hungry (and i mean really hungry!) - must be the antibiotics, irritating the stomach lining making me crave for food!?

Last edited by jassi : 28th July 2009 at 15:08.
Old 28th July 2009, 15:11   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

PS - for some reason I am super hungry (and i mean really hungry!) - must be the antibiotics, irritating the stomach lining making me crave for food!?

Yes.
Old 28th July 2009, 16:19   #204
BHPian

Quote:

Yes.
Aah - i see u said yes for the ferrari fund
i've almost never had anti-biotics in my life, but a friend told me, i need to take a multi-vitamin to prevent the hunger pangs.True?
Old 28th July 2009, 18:05   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Aah - i see u said yes for the ferrari fund
i've almost never had anti-biotics in my life, but a friend told me, i need to take a multi-vitamin to prevent the hunger pangs.True?
Everybody reacts differently to medicines. Some people loose food cravings during antibiotic therapy. Try what works for you.

IMPORTANT: In general, medical advice to be taken from doctors only, not from friends, relatives, salespersons, facebook, orkut, teambhp, neighbour's dog, etc. Everyone is different and let the doctor examine you and decide what's right for you.
Old 28th July 2009, 18:34   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Everybody reacts differently to medicines. Some people loose food cravings during antibiotic therapy. Try what works for you.

IMPORTANT: In general, medical advice to be taken from doctors only, not from friends, relatives, salespersons, facebook, orkut, teambhp, neighbour's dog, etc. Everyone is different and let the doctor examine you and decide what's right for you.
completely agree Tejas - i consider multi-vitamin as a supplement (not medicine) hence the query on tbhp The anti-biotic query on tbhp was wrong, but then my regular dentist was out and i did not feel confident with the dentist who consulted me (was rushed out in 5 mins as there was a salesman waiting!), hence decided to poke in to the wisdom of you and SS on tbhp
thanks!
Old 28th July 2009, 18:45   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
completely agree Tejas - i consider multi-vitamin as a supplement (not medicine) hence the query on tbhp The anti-biotic query on tbhp was wrong, but then my regular dentist was out and i did not feel confident with the dentist who consulted me (was rushed out in 5 mins as there was a salesman waiting!), hence decided to poke in to the wisdom of you and SS on tbhp
thanks!
NO harm NO foul. The last bit of my post was directed at taking advice from friends and not SS & me!

No need to take the multivits. Just have a few biscuits every couple of hours and your hunger pangs will subside.
Old 28th July 2009, 19:03   #208
BHPian

Thanks Tejas - I am eating a lot more than normal and yes also as a result have a bad stomach now. Will cut down on too much food and have some light biscuits when i feel hungry.
curiosity and some free time, led me to this :-) (not for medical advice - just reference)
Amoxicillin

Last edited by jassi : 28th July 2009 at 19:19.
Old 28th July 2009, 19:33   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If that was to apply, this thread would not exist.
Quote:
I am eating a lot more than normal and yes also as a result have a bad stomach now.
Usual to have bouts of loose motions when taking antibiotics for 3 or more days - mainly because the good bacteria in the stomach and intestines also get killed along with the bad ones in the body. Home remedy to combat this is to have lots of curds ("dahi") - especially the "probiotic" variety. Doctors remedy this by giving you a multivitamin capsule containing a big dose of the good bacteria. The bacteria in the probiotic curds as well as in those capsules are called Lactobacilli.
Old 28th July 2009, 20:02   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
If that was to apply, this thread would not exist.

Usual to have bouts of loose motions when taking antibiotics for 3 or more days - mainly because the good bacteria in the stomach and intestines also get killed along with the bad ones in the body. Home remedy to combat this is to have lots of curds ("dahi") - especially the "probiotic" variety. Doctors remedy this by giving you a multivitamin capsule containing a big dose of the good bacteria. The bacteria in the probiotic curds as well as in those capsules are called Lactobacilli.
thats a good idea SS - i did think of this but
1) i was not sure about interactions between pro-biotic and anti-biotic - you see to a regular layman, they seem quite opposing terms
2) being a bachelor, don't really set curd at home and all i have is processed milk products (uht treated milk, cheese slices and regular nestle curd). Nestle Pro-biotoc curd is sold out at stores around my house

PS - is it mandatory that i take amoxycillin 250mg every 8hrs, or can i be an hr or 2 here and there (sometimes 6 sometimes 10-12hr gaps)

Last edited by jassi : 28th July 2009 at 20:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks