Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 21:34   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Nestle Pro-biotoc curd is sold out at stores around my house

PS - is it mandatory that i take amoxycillin 250mg every 8hrs, or can i be an hr or 2 here and there (sometimes 6 sometimes 10-12hr gaps)

Or you can buy tablet Sporlac containing Lactobacillus from nearby store and take it with Amoxycillin.Another option is to buy Amoxycillin which comes with lactobacillus in same capsule (e.g. Amoxy LB/amclox LB) so no need to buy and take one more medicine,it increases compliance.Also taking it just after food also decreases the chances of diarrhoea.

Ampicillin and amoxy to leeser extent are known for 'loose motions' as one of and probably most common side effect,otherwise very safe drugs.So do take LB along with these antibiotics.

Antibiotics are given to kill bacteria in our body and for that you need to have minimum conc. of Ab(Antibiotics) throughout the course of treatment.Almost every drug has different kind of metabolism in body and so thats why some drugs are needed once a day,other twice a day and so on.
This is even more important in case of antibiotics otherwise bacterias will kind of 'overpower' Ab which can lead to resistance to that particular Ab.

BTW i find 250mg of amoxy too less even for minor procedure for fully grown adult.I would recommend 500mg tds.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 28th July 2009 at 21:46.
Old 28th July 2009, 22:36   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

IMPORTANT: In general, medical advice to be taken from doctors only, not from friends, relatives, salespersons, facebook, orkut, teambhp, neighbour's dog, etc. Everyone is different and let the doctor examine you and decide what's right for you.
First i said the above!

Then i clarified my previous statement by posting the below quoted statement:

Quote:
The last bit of my post was directed at taking advice from friends and not SS & me!
Thus there was no need for you to make the following statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
If that was to apply, this thread would not exist.
Anyways, what i meant was that what works for a friend, doesn't necessarily work for you. This is specially the case when medicines are ingested. Giving guidelines about how a dental treatment is done, is altogether different.
In all my posts i always say this is the ideal and this is how it should be done, but please see your dentist about it....
Old 29th July 2009, 05:10   #213
BHPian

Quote:
If you think you have gum disease / bleeding gums:

Use a chlorhexidine based mouthwash - any company. (10ml if it is 0.2% or 20ml if it is 0.12% strong). Periogard from colgate is the best. Undiluted. One hour after brushing (important). rinse for 30seconds with mouthwash. No water and food for an hour after. two times a day. Use for a month atleast.

Just for fresh feeling: use listerine or AM/PM. This you can dilute 1:1 and use to prevent burning sensation. Twice a day for 30secs, one hour after brushing.

The basic fund of 1 hour after brushing is this:

Toothpastes contain calcium as an abrasive which is positively charged in nature. Mouthwash ingredients are negatively charged so that they can bid to the tooth surface. So if you don't wait for an hour for the saliva to wash away the residual calcium, it will combine with the negative ions of the mouthwash rendering it useless.
Hi Tejas, Thanks for the pointers. I am in Canada and I found a mouth wash that has Hexetidine 0.1%w/v is that the same as the chlorhexidine based mouthwash you recommended?
Chlorhexidine is available only by prescription here and not OTC.

Last edited by Raj1008 : 29th July 2009 at 05:21.
Old 29th July 2009, 08:38   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1008 View Post
Hi Tejas, Thanks for the pointers. I am in Canada and I found a mouth wash that has Hexetidine 0.1%w/v is that the same as the chlorhexidine based mouthwash you recommended?
Chlorhexidine is available only by prescription here and not OTC.
Yes it's the same. Use 20ml undiluted for 30seconds, one hour after brushing. No food or water for another hour after using the mouthwash.
Old 29th July 2009, 16:23   #215
BHPian

Um,good thread.
Psycho guy,I think many people (Except Team-BHP members) need Fluoxetine,Lithium or an ECT,but they do not know that they are ill.You can find them in some forums,obviously you may not get time to search nor you need to do so.
{Am M.S.,D.N.B (General surgery)}
Old 29th July 2009, 17:33   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl
IMPORTANT: In general, medical advice to be taken from doctors only, not from friends, relatives, salespersons, facebook, orkut, teambhp, neighbour's dog, etc. Everyone is different and let the doctor examine you and decide what's right for you.
Quote:
First i said the above!

Then i clarified my previous statement...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller
If that was to apply, this thread would not exist.
Thus there was no need for you to make the following statement:
Hey Tejas: That comment of mine was nothing personal - just telling the folks out there that this thread would not exist if the advice being given here did not carry enough weight or value. Hope I didn't offend you in any manner, because that was not my intention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
... is it mandatory that i take amoxycillin 250mg every 8hrs, or can i be an hr or 2 here and there (sometimes 6 sometimes 10-12hr gaps)
Ideal gap is 6-8 hours, but difference of 1-2 hours will do.
Old 29th July 2009, 19:44   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it's the same. Use 20ml undiluted for 30seconds, one hour after brushing. No food or water for another hour after using the mouthwash.
Thank alot Tejas. I just want to improve my oral health beacuse I dont have dental insurance and dental work can get very pricey here. I have no symptoms of any oral issues, just being proactive. I have started to floss every night. Would you suggest using the mouthwash at night before bed? Because thats the only time I am not eating or drinking anything ? () Or it does matter to use it during the day?
Old 29th July 2009, 19:56   #218
BHPian

hi, i am a gastroenterologist currently practising at Fortis Noida. if anybody has any query regarding any abdominal or liver problem, i will be happy to help
Old 29th July 2009, 20:08   #219
BHPian

^^ welcome drkunal and abhisheck - good to have more docs join in here

tejas/ss - finally found the pro-biotic curd in stock at spencers - after 500 ml of curd, now i can feel the good bacteria taking over my poor 'damaged by anti-biotics' system :-)

edit - i have some minor cold symptoms exactly 10 mins after taking the probiotic curd, related?

Last edited by jassi : 29th July 2009 at 20:15.
Old 29th July 2009, 22:20   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the pro-biotic curd in stock at spencers
You didn't look in your mother's fridge? As I understand it, all live (and home-made is certainly live) curd is pro-biotic!
Old 29th July 2009, 23:44   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1008 View Post
Thank alot Tejas. I just want to improve my oral health beacuse I dont have dental insurance and dental work can get very pricey here.
The recent discussion on cost of implant and this post by Raj gets me thinking:
1. What makes dental implant so expensive?
2. Is there anything like dental insurance in India or is it covered by medical insurance?
Old 29th July 2009, 23:52   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You didn't look in your mother's fridge? As I understand it, all live (and home-made is certainly live) curd is pro-biotic!
my mother's fridge is in pune and i am in bangalore
all the dairy my fridge has is processed food (like cheese slices) and uht treated milk
Old 30th July 2009, 00:32   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
2. Is there anything like dental insurance in India or is it covered by medical insurance?
slightly OT, insurance has killed the healthcare system in US. Insurance is nothing but distribution of risk, it's not magic. But it has taken up a role of unnecessary mediator and costs a lot of money to the public in USA.

You would probably pay in dental insurance premium in US over an year more than what you would pay for visits to the dentist over your life time in india, including implants.
Old 30th July 2009, 01:35   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
slightly OT, insurance has killed the healthcare system in US. Insurance is nothing but distribution of risk, it's not magic. But it has taken up a role of unnecessary mediator and costs a lot of money to the public in USA.

You would probably pay in dental insurance premium in US over an year more than what you would pay for visits to the dentist over your life time in india, including implants.
Sometimes it costs in $ what I would pay in rupees, just the currency switches. But atleast we have free health insurance in Canada, the quality of which is debatable and really OT from this thread.

Makes me want to get into the medical tourism business which I am seriously considering.
Old 30th July 2009, 11:49   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
1. the cost of the implant itself. the ancillary equinpment required to insert the implant is also expensive.

2. no

EDIT: raj, yes you can use it at night only. no problem

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 30th July 2009 at 11:50. Reason: see edit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks