BHPian

one more reference
Breastfeeding & Infant Caries
Old 31st May 2010, 23:47   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
and just a reference for the same

#65 This is one of the best scientific research articles proving that breastmilk alone does not cause infant caries. For this research, Dr. Erickson was runner up for the 1998 AAPD award.

#66 - Conclusions of Dr. Erickson’s research:

1) - Human breastmilk (HBM) actually deposits calcium and phosphorus onto enamel.

2) - HBM does not cause a significant pH drop in plaque

3) - HBM is not cariogenic UNLESS another carbohydrate source is available for bacterial fermentation.

4) - The buffer capacity of HBM is very poor

5) - HBM supports moderate bacterial growth.

search net for erickson's research

my wife is a professor and HOD in a dental college

Nice article sir. Can you ask your wife which edition of AAPD it is from? I shall discuss it with MY HOD and professor too. Interesting even!
Thanks a million.

PS: I feel one article, however convincing it is, is still not evidence enough to challenge this. It's got solid potential though.

Thanks again!

May I know which college she is the HOD of (if only you want to let us know)
Old 31st May 2010, 23:54   #453
BHPian

the colege is in sri ganganagar rajastan....dear frank although we always believe in one particular treatment approach there are man modaities present, my wife says she's never heard of 8 month weaning thing

for best feeding guide my wife saying just go thru Shobha tondons book of peddontics which has become pedodontics bible in india
Old 31st May 2010, 23:56   #454
Senior - BHPian

Not 8 months weaning. What I meant was, start getting the child used to NOT having mother's milk from the 8 month period. I was not clear with my point. But yes, thanks for pointing that out.
Thanks for the tip. I have been referring to Pinkham and Nikhil Marwah too ;-)
Old 31st May 2010, 23:58   #455
BHPian

and i just googled breast feeding and caries and got hundreds of articles as result all claiming the same thing that as such there is evidence found yet for it

yes thats right u can start supplement food even from age of 6 months slowly increasing the supplements and reducing breast feeding after 18 months and then stopping it by 2 yrs

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th June 2010 at 17:45. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post. Thanks
Old 8th June 2010, 15:10   #456
BHPian

Could somebody please suggest good ONCO Therapists in Mumbai? I would be needing somebody good in about a three week's time.

Many thanks for the help.

Mansi

P.s Please do not ask questions like for whom, why etc. Its a bit personal. Its an earnest request.

Last edited by manaa45 : 8th June 2010 at 15:20.
Old 8th June 2010, 16:33   #457
BHPian

If we visit a dentist, what would be the prescribed course of treatment? If it is going to be tooth extraction I don't want my son to go through it because of it being painful.
Old 8th June 2010, 20:42   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If it is going to be tooth extraction I don't want my son to go through it because of it being painful.

Short-sighted and wrong! --- but it does depend on the dentist, of course.

I recall one extraction I had where I was begging the dentist to remove it. It brought to an end the severe pain I was experiencing from the infection. The tooth had been filled, root-canal-filled, crowned, everything, and nothing else was now an option.

It is a little scary having a tooth out --- but it is not painful. Not if the dentist is a good anaesthetist (as I mentioned about root fillings in another post).

Added to which, you have all sorts of options, from the local anaesthetic, optional sedation, to a full general if you really want it, but most doctors would probably say that the risks of a general anaesthetic are such that it should not be used unless really needed.

Disclaimer: Not a professional, but a very experienced patient. No tooth remains untouched :(

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th June 2010 at 20:43.
Old 8th June 2010, 22:06   #459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
If we visit a dentist, what would be the prescribed course of treatment? If it is going to be tooth extraction I don't want my son to go through it because of it being painful.
If i visit the mechanic with my car, will he overhaul the engine of my car just because i went there? No. Then why assume that the dentist will pull the tooth out?

Why are you going to the dentist with your son? What is the chief complaint?
Old 8th June 2010, 22:17   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Also I hope you dont transfer the impression that a visit to the dentist/doc is a painful affair to your son. It makes our work more difficult when children come in with preconcieved notions.Let him form his own impression.
Old 9th June 2010, 10:18   #461
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure if a general practitioner or a pediatrician is required to help me on this, but I thought to consult first here & then proceed. My Son, about 2 years & 7 months completed has this problem of "repetitive behaviour, does something over and over again". He asks questions on the topic for which he's aware of the answer & when we question him back asking, if he doesn't know the answer, he gives the right answer.

Other than this there's no problem that we see. He speaks fluently, understands things very well, he plays normally, mingles with everyone, watches TV, counts 1 to 10 in English & Spanish, he can even identify M800/Alto/Zen without a mistake, identifies various logos.

I'm little anxious to know, if I need to worry on the above problem & is this normal? We've told him several times not to ask questions on things for which he's aware of the answer, but he still repeats & hence the worry. Appreciate if somebody can provide me some guidance as how to handle this. Thanks.
Old 9th June 2010, 10:41   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
If i visit the mechanic with my car, will he overhaul the engine of my car just because i went there? No. Then why assume that the dentist will pull the tooth out?

Why are you going to the dentist with your son? What is the chief complaint?
The issue is posted here

I am sorry if I sound a bit paranoid about this thing, but I am thinking more with my heart than my head. I'll definitely take him to a dentist as recommended.
Old 9th June 2010, 15:06   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I'm not sure if a general practitioner or a pediatrician is required to help me on this, but I thought to consult first here & then proceed. My Son, about 2 years & 7 months completed has this problem of "repetitive behaviour, does something over and over again". He asks questions on the topic for which he's aware of the answer & when we question him back asking, if he doesn't know the answer, he gives the right answer.

Other than this there's no problem that we see. He speaks fluently, understands things very well, he plays normally, mingles with everyone, watches TV, counts 1 to 10 in English & Spanish, he can even identify M800/Alto/Zen without a mistake, identifies various logos.

I'm little anxious to know, if I need to worry on the above problem & is this normal? We've told him several times not to ask questions on things for which he's aware of the answer, but he still repeats & hence the worry. Appreciate if somebody can provide me some guidance as how to handle this. Thanks.

Just my thought but he might be learning it from you
I am saying this cause the last week I spent at my cousin's place with her 3 year old son. I noticed that his grandmother would ask him same/similar questions again and again and make him answer, mainly to impress the guests about her grandson's knowledge Maybe you are doing something similar with your son. To make him learn, you ask him the same questions again and again. He is probably imitating the same.
Old 9th June 2010, 15:22   #464
Senior - BHPian

^^^Well, I do ask him several times if he understands some point when we teach him, but this is quite different from what he's saying. Let me give an example

When I tell him not to do something, I tell him the consequence of doing it rather than saying simply don't do it; also I ask him, if he understood ask him to repeat what he understood & he would tell us what he understood.

But his questions are like too basic & sometimes even not relevant to what we're speaking. Like last evening when we were talking about something & all of a sudden he asks us a question "what's the color of our car", so we were annoyed & asked him if he didn't know, so he says "white". So I tell him "ask questions for which you don't know the answers" & asked him if he understands & he said he understood. But this question game keeps going. I'm concerned if this is normal or something to watch out as early symptoms OR are you saying we should change our approach?
Old 9th June 2010, 16:46   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
But his questions are like too basic & sometimes even not relevant to what we're speaking. Like last evening when we were talking about something & all of a sudden he asks us a question "what's the color of our car", so we were annoyed & asked him if he didn't know, so he says "white". So I tell him "ask questions for which you don't know the answers" & asked him if he understands & he said he understood. But this question game keeps going. I'm concerned if this is normal or something to watch out as early symptoms OR are you saying we should change our approach?
Looks like you didn't understand me properly. Let me also give an example. To teach him counting, you might be asking him to count from 1-10 daily. He knows the answer to the question and so do you. But you keep asking him again. Maybe he is playing the same game with you.
I am not qualified or experienced to say whether this is a cause for concern or whether you should change your approach. Maybe you could try asking this question in the parenting thread and see what other parents feel.

Most Viewed