Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2010, 17:41   #466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Maybe he is playing the same game with you.
Yes, I've thought in these lines initially; Glad if it is so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Maybe you could try asking this question in the parenting thread and see what other parents feel.
Thanks for the suggestion; will do the same.
Old 9th June 2010, 17:43   #467
BANNED

Recently read an article in TOI about not to use Antacid tablets. I am using them since ten years! Any gastroenterology doctor here?
Old 9th June 2010, 22:48   #468
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatMyLife View Post
Recently read an article in TOI about not to use Antacid tablets. I am using them since ten years! Any gastroenterology doctor here?
Which antacid do you use? The article was specifically about Proton Pump Inhibitors(PPI) - omeprazole, lanzoprazole, raboprazole etc.

Also, it specified continous usage & at high doses. I doubt if you would have continously taken a PPI for 10 years. Also all these PPIs are there in the market only from the last 15-20 years or so.

Older antacids like Ranitidine (Rantac), cimetidine etc weren't implicated in the fracture study.
Old 9th June 2010, 22:54   #469
BANNED

Hi carboy..
I take Nexium 20 mg tablet daily. I am 26 years old now. I used to initially take Espra then Raciper and now Nexium.

Quote from TOI
Quote:
FDA: Antacid overuse can cause fractures

New York: If you routinely pop antacid pills, now could be the time to stop. US health regulators have cautioned doctors and patients of an increased risk of fractures of the hip, wrist and spine from high doses or long-term use of a widely used class of drugs to control the amount of acid in the stomach.
The class of heartburn drugs, called proton pump inhibitors, include prescription brands such as AstraZeneca Plc’s Nexium and the company’s Prilosec, an older generic treatment that is also available over the counter at a lower dosage strength. The FDA is advising consumers to not stop taking PPIs until they have consulted with their doctor. However, patients should be aware of the increased risk for fractures. Proton pump inhibitors include the drugs esomeprazole, dexlansoprazole, omeprazole, lansoprazole, pantoprazole and rabeprazole. These medicines are used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), stomach and small intestine ulcers and inflammation of the esophagus. Over-the-counter versions of Prevacid, Prilosec and Zegerid also fall into this class of drugs.
The US Food and Drug Administration said on Tuesday that studies suggest a possible increased risk of bone fractures with the use of proton pump inhibitors for one year or longer, or at high doses.
“Because these products are used by a great number of people, it’s important for the public to be aware of this possible increased risk,” Joyce Korvick, deputy director for safety in the FDA’s Division of Gastroenterology Products, said in an agency statement. AGENCIES
ACID TEST
Dr Amar Deshpande, an assistant professor of gastroenterology at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, says:
Proton pump inhibitors may disrupt body’s ability to absorb calcium
In turn, this can increase risk for fractures
This class of drugs is overused, often taken by patients for too long
Also shy away from high doses of heartburn medications, unless absolutely needed.

Last edited by FiatMyLife : 9th June 2010 at 23:00.
Old 9th June 2010, 22:59   #470
Distinguished - BHPian

I take those! (I think!) --- Esomeprazole (Sompraz).

Every so often I find that my appetite has disappeared and it feels like my stomach is permanently full. This was prescribed by my doctor the first time it happened, and I take it when it recurs ...but only for a few days until it goes away.

I usually check stuff out on the net before swallowing it, but I didn't know there was a potential problem with this?
Old 10th June 2010, 14:10   #471
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatMyLife View Post
Hi carboy..
I take Nexium 20 mg tablet daily. I am 26 years old now. I used to initially take Espra then Raciper and now Nexium.
I am not a doc - I replied because I remembered reading the article & my wife also takes these Proton Pump Inhibitors - she takes them very occasionally.

Best to take a print out the article & show it to the doctor who asked you to take it everyday all the time. For my wife, she takes it only if she has a bad attack - she takes it for 3-4 days till the attack subsides.
Long long back, she used to get attacks very regularly, but then some changes in lifestyle drastically reduced the occurance of these attacks.
These were some of the changes she made.
- Reduce caffiene.
She stop Coke/Pepsi & Coffee. Substituted coffee with tea. Tea contains a fraction of caffiene as compared to coffee. Even with coffee, Instant coffee contains far less caffeine as compared to brewed coffee.
- Reduce weight.
- Walk for 10 minutes after each & every meal - this really helped a lot.
- Don't sleep immediatelly after a heavy meal.
- Another thing which helps is sleeping on an inclined bed - the head should be at a higher position as compared to the leg - using the thick pillow is not an alternative because very thick pillows sometimes cause neck problems. A doctor had recommended to use get a support made for the 2 bed legs on the head side so that the head is always in a raised position, but never tried this.
- Sometimes H.Pylori bacteria also cause heartburn/GERD/Acid Reflux/Acidity whatever you call them. H.Pylori was discovered around 25 years back as a cause for Acid Reflux. And testing for it wasn't really common long back. It's a cheap test at most pathologist labs. 10 years back, you probably would have been checked for it - at that it had become common enough, but never hurts to ask. If you have never been tested for H. Pylori ask your doctor to prescribe this test. If you have H. Pylori, antibiotics are typically prescribed for destroying it & a big cause for your acidity would be gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I usually check stuff out on the net before swallowing it, but I didn't know there was a potential problem with this?
This was very recent research & IIRC, it was only if you take it at big doses for a long time continously. But never hurts to check with your doctor.

Last edited by carboy : 10th June 2010 at 14:12.
Old 10th June 2010, 18:14   #472
BANNED

Thanks carboy for the suggestions.

I have this acidity problem since childhood. For me acidity doesn't happen like an attack. If I don't take the tablet, then I suffer 24/7! There is not a single day since last 8 - 10 years when I have not taken the tablet. I take the tablet every morning half an hour before breakfast.
Old 10th June 2010, 18:27   #473
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

My friend needs to consult a gynecologist. Can anyone suggest competent doctor with good ethics in Bangalore?

"Good ethics" part because of horrible experiences in Manipal hospital where...well we know the story there.
Old 10th June 2010, 19:09   #474
Senior - BHPian

have you all done an exam to see if the acidity is really high or it's your stomach lining so weak it can not withstand normal ph. overdose of antacid will reduce your ability to digest food. I am not a doctor but I think you may be treating a symptom, in a way that may cause other problems.

any gastroenterologists on forum?
Old 10th June 2010, 19:10   #475
BHPian

My leg swelling :(

Hi,

I'm aware of this thread for a long time, but felt the need to have suggestions for myself now.
I'm in big confision here over my small or big (I dont know) medical issue.
For the last 4 weeks, my feet are getting swelled up at the ankle. It started with my right foot from it's ankle. Initially the swelling was not that much, but I was about to feel the pressure in my legs at the ankle, as if 200 kilos are carried on my feet. Then, the swelling starts showing on left foot ankle as well, but it was negligible. One thing to mention here that no pain was felt in and around the swelling but only pressure and some red patches over swelled skin around ankles.
The pressure was felt only when I was in standing position. I went to a general physician, he prescribed few tablets mentioning that, it's an infection due to shoes and socks.
I took medication for 7 days but no improvement. So, went to orthopedic. He examined and suggested blood and urine test, which I did. Sugar and everthing was OK except for higher percentage in blood sample (I will mention the higher levels of reports in next post, as I don't have it right now). Orthopedic concluded that there are 2 blood infections and prescribed me some tablets (medicine names will be mentioned in next post). Also advised me not to wear shoes-socks for next one month, take leave from office and elevate my feet above my heart level while sitting or sleeping.
I did that, the medicins showed some improvements,but even after 14 days, if I missed a single dose, the pressure and swelling reappeared. After 1 more week, the swelling was negligible and I went to the doctor, he said it's cured and prescribed me next course. But, now when I started attending my office wearing sandals, the swelling reappearded and in more aggressive mood. Now the swelling is on ankles and towards the fingers ie from ankles till fingers. I'm taking the medication regularly (Dexpure, Fortyfy and one more tablet). But of no use.
Anybody here can shed light on this, as to what could be the possible reasons for this problem. I'm a bit worried now, it's been weeks that I'm taking medication but to no outcome. Should I change the doctor for 2nd opinion?
Now my both feet are swelled up. Is Orthopdic is correct option for such thing?
Can suggest something, what should I do, before I consults another doctor?

Last edited by dev_kudle : 10th June 2010 at 19:14.
Old 10th June 2010, 20:10   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Could somebody please suggest good ONCO Therapists in Mumbai? I would be needing somebody good in about a three week's time.

Many thanks for the help.

Mansi
AFAIK Tata Memorial Hospital is one of the best hospital for cancer cure. Visit their website for any information you need.
Old 11th June 2010, 11:05   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev_kudle View Post
Hi,

I'm aware of this thread for a long time, but felt the need to have suggestions for myself now.
I'm in big confision here over my small or big (I dont know) medical issue.
For the last 4 weeks, my feet are getting swelled up at the ankle. It started with my right foot from it's ankle. Initially the swelling was not that much, but I was about to feel the pressure in my legs at the ankle, as if 200 kilos are carried on my feet. Then, the swelling starts showing on left foot ankle as well, but it was negligible. One thing to mention here that no pain was felt in and around the swelling but only pressure and some red patches over swelled skin around ankles.
The pressure was felt only when I was in standing position. I went to a general physician, he prescribed few tablets mentioning that, it's an infection due to shoes and socks.
I took medication for 7 days but no improvement. So, went to orthopedic. He examined and suggested blood and urine test, which I did. Sugar and everthing was OK except for higher percentage in blood sample (I will mention the higher levels of reports in next post, as I don't have it right now). Orthopedic concluded that there are 2 blood infections and prescribed me some tablets (medicine names will be mentioned in next post). Also advised me not to wear shoes-socks for next one month, take leave from office and elevate my feet above my heart level while sitting or sleeping.
I did that, the medicins showed some improvements,but even after 14 days, if I missed a single dose, the pressure and swelling reappeared. After 1 more week, the swelling was negligible and I went to the doctor, he said it's cured and prescribed me next course. But, now when I started attending my office wearing sandals, the swelling reappearded and in more aggressive mood. Now the swelling is on ankles and towards the fingers ie from ankles till fingers. I'm taking the medication regularly (Dexpure, Fortyfy and one more tablet). But of no use.
Anybody here can shed light on this, as to what could be the possible reasons for this problem. I'm a bit worried now, it's been weeks that I'm taking medication but to no outcome. Should I change the doctor for 2nd opinion?
Now my both feet are swelled up. Is Orthopdic is correct option for such thing?
Can suggest something, what should I do, before I consults another doctor?
The symptom that you are having seems to be "Pedal edema". The causes of this symptom could be either
1. Systemic problems - Cardiac/Liver/Kidney related
2.Local - Varicose veins/thrombosis of the deep veins/local infection of subcutaneous tissues(cellulitis) etc.

I suggest you first visit a physician(MD general medicine) to rule out systemic problems. If they are not there, then you see a General surgeon(MS general surgery) or a vascular surgeon to rule out the local problems. I think the physician will be able to guide you well.

I hope I havent scared you. From what you say, it doesnt seem to be anything serious.
Old 14th June 2010, 00:02   #478
BHPian

About 4 years back I had hepatitis B vaccination in three doses in 1-2-6 months. Now some people tell me I should have had a booster shot, and since it was so long back I need to start again. Most information I found on the net seem to suggest that what I had is sufficient. Can someone please enlighten me? After hepatitis B, what is the next most important hepatitis vaccination?

Does the hepatitis B or any other variant virus survive in the open (exposed to atmosphere)? If yes, for how long?

Last edited by Guite : 14th June 2010 at 00:07.
Old 14th June 2010, 10:55   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Hi guys,

My friend needs to consult a gynecologist. Can anyone suggest competent doctor with good ethics in Bangalore?

"Good ethics" part because of horrible experiences in Manipal hospital where...well we know the story there.
Dr Vidya Desai 25257343 - The number might be a little outdated.
Old 14th June 2010, 12:03   #480
BANNED

Have a question about PFM (Porecelain fused to metal) dental crowns. Does any one know the alloy/metal used in PFM crowns?

Abroad, typically High Noble is used - high noble means 60% noble metals (like Gold, Palladium, Platinum etc) out of which atleast 40% is gold.
But since we typically pay around Rs.3000 odd for a PFM crown in India, I doubt that's it is high noble (considering the high prices of the noble metals). So does anyone know what exactly is used? I think Nickel & Chromium are used, but what else is there? By any chance is Berrylium used?
What is the typical life of these PFM Crowns?

Last edited by carboy : 14th June 2010 at 12:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks