Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2009, 17:52   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
This is for all doctors in general.

I am a believer in allowing the body to fight the diseases rather than going to the doctor at the very first instance of discomfort. The human body's immunity is built this way and if we keep taking medicines, our immunity would decrease over time. So i go to the doc only when there is some major problem and avoid taking medicines for regular issues like fever, cold, headache, body ache, etc.

How true is this?
To each his own.

People get all sorts of treatment for all sorts of discomfort/disorders.Theres allopathy,homeopathy,unani,ayurveda,reiki,indo-allopathy,acupuncture,hydro
-therapy,aroma-therapy etc ad nauseam.

And not only in our big country with such a huge diversity but there are different treatment modalities for different ailments in different countries,as well.

For pain abodomen,theres a specific treatment called 'branding',in which on the tummy of the affected individual,a bowl is placed invertedly and a lighted wick is placed inside.The wick burns and all the trapped air is combusted inside the bowl and the bowl finally gets stuck on the patients abdomen.People who advocates this particular treatment says that all the bad elements are sucked out from the tummy by this peculiar method.I have met people who swears that they were cured by this.

I have heard of a particular lady in Barasat,near Kolkata who practices a peculiar thing and you would be surprised to find the number of patient she deals with on a daily basis.She only,so-called treats fracture cases.She asks all her patients to bring her the X-Ray plates and a banana!! Reportedly,she takes a look at the X-Ray,mumbles something in the ear of each patient,then asks them to eat the banana in front of her.Allegedly,the fracture gets cured after that.And to top it all,she was on television for this.

What would you called this? Magic? Voodooism? In medical science,theres no Silver Bullet.There are methods which doctors have learned through practice and experience,which have scientific basis, have undergone many clinical trials and are time-tested.Doctors tell a patient the best possible solution for their particular problem,suiting the patients individual problems,their financial strength,social aspects,and a whole lot of things combined.Its upto a particular individual whether he or she wants to follow them.We can always take the horse to the drink,but the horse has to drink himself.Surgeons can operate but a patient has to actively get involved in the post-operative rehabilitation phase.Doctors can prescribe,but whether a patient follows those instructions are up to them entirely.

No doubt,Human Body has loads of immunity.But then again this depends on a lot of factor.A boy,born and brought up in a slum is habituated in living in woeful conditions with poor quality drinking water,with bad sanitation etc.He possibly has chronic giardiasis or amoebiasis or he may be a chronic cyst passer,who knows,apart from general malnutrition and other associated morbidity.But usually no acute medical problems.

But a similar aged boy from an affluent family with better hygienic conditions,will probably die of acute gastroenteritis if he is relocated in a slum for a day.
Does this mean that the latter boy has no immunity?Does this mean that everyone of us here can pick up dust from the road and put our tongue in it to increase our immunity everyday?Hope you are getting my drift.

Our body has both innate and acquired immunity.The system we have is an adaptive one.
Immunity is not a loose term as it is always used by non-medical persons.Immunology is a whole subject and the intricacies are mind-boggling.So don't be fooled by people saying,"I let my immunity work for me",even if he doesn't want to,it will work for him in any case.

Lastly,I want to end by saying that whenever there is engine trouble in our rides,we go to qualified persons for its rectification,if there is some electrical problems in our car,we call our electricians.Similarly,medical problems should best be left to qualified medical persons rather than left either untreated or un-diagnosed and later causing incalculable harm in the long run.
Remember,that there is no DIY for human body,the error margins are too narrow and loss is always immense.It might be You or any near and dear one.

A one-off mild low back pain in an 18 year old male,may turn out to be a case of Ankylosing Spondylitis,later on in life.A small skin rash on the face may turn out to be a malignancy.A small case of cough and cold,probably due to the AC in office might become a case of Legionnaire's disease rather than a simple rhinoviral sinusitis.A small case of bleeding after tooth-extraction might be a insidious coagulopathy.

Dudes,don't get paranoid or become a hypochondriac,but then if there is a need,do please consult your doctor rather than take a chance.

My 2 paise.
Old 9th May 2009, 18:09   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
To each his own.

For pain abodomen,theres a specific treatment called 'branding',in which on the tummy of the affected individual,a bowl is placed invertedly and a lighted wick is placed inside.The wick burns and all the trapped air is combusted inside the bowl and the bowl finally gets stuck on the patients abdomen.People who advocates this particular treatment says that all the bad elements are sucked out from the tummy by this peculiar method.I have met people who swears that they were cured by this.
My family has a line of doctors who practise Unani.
One of the methods used to relieve body pain was a glass jar placed inverted on the back with a small cotton ball set on fire.
The vacuum formed releases slowly and its considered very helpful.

Now this person known to the family sees this being applied.
Goes home and wants to try it out himself.

Takes a small steel tumbler and inside it places a lit piece of camphor.
I don't think anyone has seen a boil that big.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2009, 18:22   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I don't think anyone has seen a boil that big.
Touche bblost !!

See what I mean by letting qualified service personnels to attend to your medical needs however small,rather than become a DIYer.
Old 13th June 2009, 15:57   #124
BHPian

(Dr) @Tejas

Today I had a root canal done and the experience was a bit different from a lot of my friends who had undergone this. The big change was that my root canal was done in a single seating. I had gone for regular consultation as one of my molars was paining and the doc told me that ideally I should've a root canal done as the previous filling was too deep and decay had formed. I agreed and got it done in 20-25 mins flat!

It was NOT painful and the only thing left is putting a cap - in hindsight i should have requested him to put in a temporary cap but I did not remember that info from this thread. Anyways, next week I'd be getting a permanent cap - he has given be 3 choices in ceramic - average, good, better ! (ranging from 2800-3500).

I've just got it done a couple of hours back, but the pain has not completely subsided - he had actually numbed the area by injecting something around it. I'd be asking him about the pain but wanted to know whether this is normal for a few days. I'd also have to take precautions since it is uncapped, right?
Old 13th June 2009, 18:39   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'd be asking him about the pain but wanted to know whether this is normal for a few days. I'd also have to take precautions since it is uncapped, right?
A slight uncomfortable feeling is normal for a few days.

You can eat normally but avoid biting very hard stuff from that side of the mouth. So basically avoid chewing nuts, bones, chikkis, etc from that side. Otherwise no issues with your regular diet.
Old 14th June 2009, 11:44   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
A slight uncomfortable feeling is normal for a few days.

You can eat normally but avoid biting very hard stuff from that side of the mouth. So basically avoid chewing nuts, bones, chikkis, etc from that side. Otherwise no issues with your regular diet.
Thanks for the advice.

How does one go about selecting the caps? Your post has some info about it, but I am not sure whether there is any change in rates or quality of the same as its an old post. Does the quality of the cap decide the longevity of it or durability (strength)?
Old 14th June 2009, 12:04   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the advice.

How does one go about selecting the caps? Your post has some info about it, but I am not sure whether there is any change in rates or quality of the same as its an old post. Does the quality of the cap decide the longevity of it or durability (strength)?
Selecting the type of cap is a personal choice. Metal / ceramo-metal - nickel / ceramo-metal - gold / ceramic/zirconia. It's about your cosmetic considerations.

Quality wise, it depends on the the lab and what the dentist instructs the lab to make. Eg. There are a few companies making zirconia using CAD-CAM. Some products are good, some are bad. You won't know about the quality, only your dentist and lab will.

So decide the type of cap you want and leave the rest to the dentist and hope that the laboratory does a good job.

Rather than the quality of the material used for the cap, it's how the cutting of your tooth has been done, how well the impression has been taken, how well has the lab technician adapted the margins of the new crown to the tooth, is the crown high on biting, are the contacts with the adjacent teeth proper... These are the factors that will determine the longevity of the crown.
Old 14th June 2009, 15:00   #128
BHPian

Hmmm interesting thread.

OK for those who don't know, I'm a Medical Intern here in Mumbai. I would be glad to help ease any minor queries one may have in the field of general or specialized medicine.

Please remember that this is still the internet, and there is no substitute for seeing your physician/surgeon, so please ask only the basics, anything more I can and will help you, but it is always best to consult a doctor in person (so they can examine you)

Cheers,
Dr. Girish

PS: I request all the other doctors and dentists, even therapists if there are any on the forum to please enlist themselves in this thread, as Dr. Tejas has so benevolently created it for the benefit of the community at large.
Old 14th June 2009, 15:18   #129
Senior - BHPian

Hey! I'm currently studying!(4th year M.B.B.S.) from Delhi

I might(or might not) be able to help :o but most importantly, I'll get to learn something from you docs!

and I agree that there's no substitute to seeing a physician in person.
Old 15th June 2009, 11:15   #130
BHPian

Thanks @(Dr)Tejas

Good info. Since I am not focusing on the aesthetics even one bit, I'd go for a proper fit rather than any other feature. The problem is that the adjacent tooth also is not in a great shape and maybe down the line even that has to undergo some treatment. I hope the crown does not hamper in the same.

This thread is quite useful.
Old 16th June 2009, 00:16   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post

there is no substitute for seeing your physician/surgeon
consult a doctor in person (so they can examine you)

PS: I request all the other doctors and dentists, even therapists if there are any on the forum to please enlist themselves in this thread, as Dr. Tejas has so benevolently created it for the benefit of the community at large.

My points exactly.

I think I have already mentioned that I am an Orthopaedic Surgeon somewhere in this thread.
Old 16th June 2009, 00:52   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
To each his own.

I have had this done on myself when visiting our ancestral village in UP, I was in my pre teens then. It is to treat some kind of ab muscles dislocation (called nara ukhadana), not sure why I have not seen it in modern medicine. it works!

symptoms: upset stomach, pain, loose motion.

Reasons: lifting heavy objects and putting too much stress on ab muscles.

diagnosis: lie flat on your back, press lightly on ur belly button. if you have a strong pulse, you have this condition.

treatment:
1. create a vacuum on belly button as described in "branding" above.
2. massaging of abs. there are old local village people with cracked skin who do this massges, the cracked skin almost cuts the skin on stomach. I hated it. for abour half an hour every bit of your stomach will be moved and pushed towards navel.
3. contract the ab muscles by supporting yourself upside down on your upper body (head/shoulder, hands holding a tee branch). upside down supported on lower body (legs curled on a tree branch) aggravates the condition.

Disclaimer: Treat yourself at your own risk

PS: AFAIK, the condition goes away by itself in a week or so.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 16th June 2009 at 00:54.
Old 20th June 2009, 23:00   #133
BHPian

Hi Tejas, you might remember you had recommended Emoform to me and I had used it for sometime. Since then a dentist I was consulting recommended RA Thermoseal. On a subsequent visit I brought to her notice that the packet mentioned that it should not be used continously for more than 4 weeks. She said that's nothing to be worried about, I should continue using it. I am not convinced. After all manufactureres should know their product best, right? Tejas, what's your opinion?

I am currently consulting a periodontist. He is brash, expensive, too busy to provide adequate attention and his clinic (in Ghaziabad) is too far from my place. Can any of the Noida guys recommend a good alternative periodontist within Noida? Tejas, sorry for hijacking your thread.
Old 21st June 2009, 11:45   #134
Senior - BHPian

any physiotherapists from Chennai in the forum ?
Old 22nd June 2009, 10:54   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Hi Tejas, you might remember you had recommended Emoform to me and I had used it for sometime. Since then a dentist I was consulting recommended RA Thermoseal. On a subsequent visit I brought to her notice that the packet mentioned that it should not be used continously for more than 4 weeks. She said that's nothing to be worried about, I should continue using it. I am not convinced. After all manufactureres should know their product best, right? Tejas, what's your opinion?
These sensitivity toothpastes only target one area of the mouth, i.e. take care of sensitivity. Other regular toothpastes have a more multipronged approach. Thus, after 4 weeks, you need to get to a normal paste so that the triclosan, etc in other pastes can exert anticavity and antiplaque (helps prevent gum disease) effect.
If you want to use it long term, use colgate sensitive.

Quote:
Tejas, sorry for hijacking your thread.
No issues. This is what the thread was created for.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks